• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Uh... "grind" 45-3? How the fuck is that even possible if I can't even fully scratch ONE of the two helicopters before I get fucked up BADLY (by ONE missile burst)?

You know what I really need? A terminal linking guide. Like when and where I should be activating terminals and linking them. I'm in Chapter 7 now. I want to link some terminals to the arena because that seems obvious, but I don't know if now is the right time, or if I should wait until later.

Yes, a terminal lining guide... chapter by chapter, and exactly how to do it.

MechaX

I'm about towards the end of chapter 2 and about four hours in total.

So far... I'm actually surprised that I'm finding this game pretty enjoyable. At the moment, the battle system is not super difficult to grasp and I feel as if any mistakes made in battle are totally my fault. However, I find it rather interesting on how powerful these Tri-Attacks can be. I pretty much blitzed through the second boss in a single well-placed Tri-Attack before it even got the chance to move. Like Valkyrie Profile 2, I'm wondering it the game will gravitate towards focusing on a few bread-and-butter strategies that will serve you well from the beginning to the end of the game.

Story-wise, I do find the characters to be pretty amusing. Perhaps this lack of seriousness is a refreshing change from FFXIII where the super-serious atmosphere combined with the dodgy characters made it Mystery Science Theatre-esque comedic at times (And this is coming from some one who found the Vashyron Dance scene to be rather ridiculous when it first leaked onto the net). I would say that this is the best Tri-Ace game to come since VP2 in my eyes, but that's not really saying much.

iammeiam

I think the first section of Chapter 11 does a good job of demonstrating how non-grind-oriented the game is--the difference between getting totally and quickly slaughtered and a decisive victory is totally in weapon customization and planning your attack. Most stuff you can grind your way past, but it seems like everything is doable without grinding provided you learn to maximize the battle system.

I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying the game; while the basic game structure is pretty set-in-stone after the first couple of chapters, the decision to provide a couple of different time-wasters (optional dungeons/danger hexes/spending time just 100% opening floors/playing dress-up with the characters/etc) helps break things up. The game not taking itself seriously at all is nice, too (Leanne hitting people is funny in a way Lightning hitting people isn't.) The arena's probably my least favorite part, and would be a lot more tolerable if you could just do all the fights to star a rank in a row without having to go back to the desk and re-up every time.

Also really, really addicted to bonus shots with dual machine guns. At this point I have so much money I can't really imagine needing more ever, but there's something about making it rain gold that's just mesmerizing.

RpgN

Bought the game 3 days ago and played about an hour a day and I just finished the prologue. I'm getting a good feeling out of this game. The battle seems to be something different and needs getting used to, but I like it and still have some more to learn. The way you make your weapons stronger reminds me of how you made your tanks stronger in Valkyria Chronicles. I think it fits the weapons and still has its own twist. So far I'm liking the structure of the game where you get to do missions and advance to the next chapter with a story mission. The graphics are clean and stylishly very appealing, not technically impressive perhaps but it doesn't seem to need it, the artstyle can carry it through but the animation could have been better. And best of all, the music rocks. Really very appealing so far. Cant wait to play some more of it, seems like a nice little quality game for rpg fans :D Thanks for selling me on it guys!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, Full Scratch and Stun Ratio 100% is a complete BEAST. That's all.

Edit: Just got like 9 levels with ONE attack :lol

ARENA#46!!!! SO CLOOOOOOSE!

Edit 3: Arena 47!

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Uh... "grind" 45-3? How the fuck is that even possible if I can't even fully scratch ONE of the two helicopters before I get fucked up BADLY (by ONE missile burst)?

The way I did it was:

1. MG guy runs to the left corner, gets hit by helicopter gun if he doesn't stun. HOPEFULLY THIS DOES NOT C.C. YOU. I put good armor on this guy.

2. HG runs to right corner and stuns both helicopters on the way.

3. Start tri-attack. Take out the left helicopter which is lvl.190+.

4. Try to full scratch the remaining helicopter if you can for the extra levels, then hit start and quit mission.

Repeat.

Linking 1.5x exp terminal + double effect terminal & wearing 1-3 xp trainers makes it go even faster. Every weapon can level pretty easily on this map, but MG levels the fastest.

As for the tri-attack. During it I just play as a the MG guy, charge up to max and shoot, other chars turn that to direct damage, repeat.

Yoshichan said:
Okay, Full Scratch and Stun Ratio 100% is a complete BEAST. That's all.

Edit: Just got like 9 levels with ONE attack :lol

ARENA#46!!!! SO CLOOOOOOSE!

Edit 3: Arena 47!

But yeah, seems like you already figured all that out :p

Bebpo

Banned
Volcynika said:
Hey Bebpo, what pistols did you use and did you add a lot of customization to them?

I just used the stronger ones. I think you get about 4 or 5 total not counting the golden HGs and I used the ones other than the 2 you start the game with.

As for customization, yeah. I filled up the screen for my 2 HGs & 2 MGs.

I also put hawk eye (and later eagle eye from neverland) on my HG person so he would occasionally instantly destroy armor (or full body).

Yoshichan

What level is required for that end game special dungeon? I should be around 160 at that time, is it enough?

Update: WOOOOOOOO! Arena 48! I can't believe I'm this close. Hopefully 50 or 49 isn't impossibly hard.

Update 2: Shiiiiiit is arena 49 going to take A LOT of time... two mega enemies :lol They're not hard at all but it's gonna take me an hour to do this 10 times... here goes nothing.

Bebpo

Banned
Weird, I thought 46-50 didn't open until after you cleared Neverland.

Any total level is fine for neverland (in fact, the lower your max HP, the more likely you can survive 100% scratch without going into C.C.), but having MG 100 helps a lot because of full scratch & stun.

Yoshichan

o_O I haven't even touched Neverland and I'm I just started arena 50.. one big dude, let's try this out.

Edit: 4 seconds later, he's dead :lol 100% instant scratch is broken.

Edit 2: HELLLLLLLLLLLLL YES!!!!!!!!! Arena is COMPLETE, 500 battles, FUCK YOU. I'm NEVER going inside this place again. It's been one helluva ride, thank god I'm outa here. Time to actually have FUN with all these levels I've got.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you unlock the higher levels in the Arena? I have completed Rank 1 and have a star next to it (I did all 10 fights). Everytime I go back, only rank 1 is available to play.

Bebpo

Banned
Samurai Penguin said:
This might be a dumb question, but how do you unlock the higher levels in the Arena? I have completed Rank 1 and have a star next to it (I did all 10 fights). Everytime I go back, only rank 1 is available to play.

Move to the next chapter. Usually each chapter unlocks 3 ranks, but some chapters have more and some have none.

Yoshichan

Wow... Neverland was the most disappointing thing ever. Reused enemies and stage design, non-epic music and worst of all, it gave me next to ZERO challenge. What? Arena 43-3 was harder.

PARANO1A

I am playing chapter 2 and about to snap the stupid fucking disc in half. I want to stop playing and turn off the game but I can't see how to save and quit, suspend and quit, leave the battle, return to town, etc.

My weapons are not set up optimally, but I can't configure them when in a dungeon? My team has very low health entering the fight, but I can't cure them in the battle without the boss killing me first. Is this supposed to work like that? Am I missing something?

What's worse is I'm constantly retrying the boss battle, and it costs me money to do so. So the less fun I'm having because I'm struggling, the less ability I have to buy better equipment. I've downed ~10K in rubies on this boss and I want to snap the disc into a million little pieces.

Save a disc, GAF. Surely the game is not so fucking stupid as to make me lose the last three hours of progress by turning the game off. Surely it's not so stupidly obtuse that I have been backed into a corner of losing about 5-6 hours I've played since my last permanent save.

Right?

Oh - and I can't do ANYTHING except retry the battle over and over again, can't leave the battle, can't even suspend from here. What a fucking bullshit design choice.

Yoshichan said:
Wow... Neverland was the most disappointing thing ever. Reused enemies and stage design, non-epic music and worst of all, it gave me next to ZERO challenge. What? Arena 43-3 was harder.
That shouldn't be a huge surprise if your characters were level 160. Most games are not challenging when you are 50 -60 levels higher than you need to be.

But the game does lose a lot of its challenge once you realize you can keep enemies in an almost constant stunned state.

PARANO1A said:
Oh - and I can't do ANYTHING except retry the battle over and over again, can't leave the battle, can't even suspend from here. What a fucking bullshit design choice.
Can't you restart at the beginning of the dungeon by paying half the money you currently have?

Although maybe it is a fixed amount. I don't recall since I never had to use it.

TheChaos

PARANO1A said:

Use an Escape Hex. Warps you out of the dungeon completely.

edit: Whoops, forgot you can't do that in boss battles. Best option for Chapter 2 boss: do a few resonances, perform a tri-attack and shoot like crazy. I was underleveled for that fight and eventually won.

edit again: Should be more specific. Have one character move to the left, the second to the right. You should have 2 resonances. Have the third char then perform the tri-attack and shoot. Some pieces should be blown off with the core exposed and you should have more bezels. Have your MG user run by the core and shoot like crazy (may take two runs), then have a handgun user walk up and finish the job. Whew.

Yoshichan

All right, everything is done except for beating the game (and again after that) :D Going to complete the last chapter now. (78 hours in lol).

Yoshichan said:
100% instant scratch is broken.
Yoshichan said:
Wow... Neverland was the most disappointing thing ever.
Highly related I would suspect. Even without 100% scratch/break/stun most fights have the same 'optimal' strategy.. it's just a matter of whether your party has enough HP or enough broken/lucky skill procs.

Yoshichan said:
Edit 2: HELLLLLLLLLLLLL YES!!!!!!!!! Arena is COMPLETE, 500 battles, FUCK YOU. I'm NEVER going inside this place again. It's been one helluva ride, thank god I'm outa here. Time to actually have FUN with all these levels I've got.

I've never understood why people do things they highly dislike in what's supposed to be a fun experience.

Bebpo

Banned
I thought Neverland section 2 was still pretty hard even if you are max level. The enemy groups in the 2nd tier are numerous and deadly. You need good strategies because you are not allowed to get hit twice or you have to restart the battle. I had a lot of retries on those. 1st and 3rd tier & final boss were all pretty easy though.

Yoshichan

I didn't understand crap out of the ending. Oh well, good game~ Now to continue on with NG+

So from 10:32 am to 11:51 I've gotten to chapter 7 :lol

Yoshichan

Edit: ffs I was super wrong about something. Nevermind.

Edit 2:

ntJKFUUCn.jpg

Second playthrough took 3 hours and 20 minutes :lol

Volcynika

Man, taking out that East Park in Neverland is a biiiiiiiiitch. Took out the west and central, but yeesh. Still gotta figure out how to handle that one as far as enemy priority.

Ricker

Why can`t I reach the Basilica for the last side quest in Chapter 5? finally beat the Boss and all but there is a single dark purple HEx that prevents me from delivering the letter in there...I don`t seem to get any random battles around there neither so nothing is dropping that color hex...I don`t want to move on to chapter 6 because it says i`ll lose the quest...

Bebpo

Banned
Ricker said:
Why can`t I reach the Basilica for the last side quest in Chapter 5? finally beat the Boss and all but there is a single dark purple HEx that prevents me from delivering the letter in there...I don`t seem to get any random battles around there neither so nothing is dropping that color hex...I don`t want to move on to chapter 6 because it says i`ll lose the quest...

You don't need purple hexes to reach basilica iirc. I think it's just red hexes.

Volcynika said:
Man, taking out that East Park in Neverland is a biiiiiiiiitch. Took out the west and central, but yeesh. Still gotta figure out how to handle that one as far as enemy priority.

1st area with the HI-POD in one of the treasure boxes? What's the enemy group like?

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Edit: ffs I was super wrong about something. Nevermind.

Edit 2:

ntJKFUUCn.jpg

Second playthrough took 3 hours and 20 minutes :lol

Do you have any tips on the "kill your own team with a grenade" trophy? I tried for a bit after I beat it, but couldn't. The strongest grenade only does 1000 damage. And getting in C.C. and having 1 character get below 1000 damage while standing next to an enemy without be killed seems ridiculously hard.

Also the 30 melee kills seems really tedious since even the lvl.1 enemies regen HP every second so full scratch -> slash won't kill them and it takes several slashes just to get 1 melee kill.

I think if I went for the plat, those would be the hardest & the arena star-ing would be the most tedious and any other would be easy.

Volcynika

Bebpo said:
1st area with the HI-POD in one of the treasure boxes? What's the enemy group like?

One elephant walker, two large guys with machine guns, two Jr. Neverland staff thug, and then two turret things.

Bebpo

Banned
Volcynika said:
One elephant walker, two large guys with machine guns, two Jr. Neverland staff thug, and then two turret things.

-don't worry about the elephant walkers. They are slow and don't do a ton of damage
-don't worry about the turret guns. Stay back behind stuff so they can't hit you and just fire at the other enemies while moving between cover.
-take out the machine gun guys first since they can hit you with stat effects
-take out the thugs next
-then take out the walkers or the turrets, then the other one

-for turrets make sure you do the two hit kill. MG shoot for scratch while they're open. HG wait until they open then run, jump, and shoot to kill them.

The main trick to neverland is figuring out which enemies to take out first (aka who is the most dangerous) and staying behind cover.

Volcynika

Yeah, I actually just beat it! Thugs -> Elephant -> Turrets. A little close here and there but my extra bezel shards from NG+ helped out!

Yoshichan

Bebpo: I used the Handgrenades that deal like 3000 or something. I let one person go in the middle of a war... when he'd get into danger-mode, I'd just spam the grenade (stand right next to an enemy). Eventually you'll be lucky to time it, it took a couple of tries.

For that melee trophy, I just went to arena 1-1 and had MG-user shoot one enemy at a time and then melee him of with someone else. If you do it quick enough, they'll get one-shot!

Varion said:
I dunno if it's just me but machinegun fire from a jump seems to have less effect than if you're on the ground though. Maybe that's how they balance it out, can charge for longer if you jump at the end but it does a bit less damage?

When you jump, you randomly target body parts/armor parts, which sort of spreads the damage around and becomes "less effective". However, if you're directly above the enemy when you jump, it tends to deal damage directly to the main body (certain exceptions apply).

Bebpo said:
Do you have any tips on the "kill your own team with a grenade" trophy? I tried for a bit after I beat it, but couldn't. The strongest grenade only does 1000 damage. And getting in C.C. and having 1 character get below 1000 damage while standing next to an enemy without be killed seems ridiculously hard.

I managed to get that one pretty easily in the early part of the game. Enemies got me down to CC, with a smidgen of health left, so I just tossed a grenade there and KABOOM! Game over, got the trophy. In fact, two of my guys were in the area at the time. They both died. :p

It might be easier to just start a brand new game and attempt it there. You should still get the trophy that way.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing the worst part of new game+ run is the presents chapter? God that took forever and I don't see anyway to speed it up (use Leanne, try to get 2-3 kids per hero action is about the fastest I could do).

Volcynika

Any tips for the Neverland main boss?

D:

I'm trying to figure out how best to handle this, because
Sullivan's attacks are devastating and Rebecca's attacks are annoyingly numerous.

Volcynika said:
Any tips for the Neverland main boss?

D:

I'm trying to figure out how best to handle this, because
Sullivan's attacks are devastating and Rebecca's attacks are annoyingly numerous.
I made use of the short stun that goes along with gauge breaking to keep the boss stunned since i didn't have level 100 mg. I used the armor piercing ammo and took out all four of the shields pretty quickly. At that point it was pretty much in the bag.

Ricker

I`m about to give up on this game...only 2 people in the group now? really? and I have to go to that annoying freezing section to get medicine...talk about an awful fetch quest.Lots of good stuff in this game but lots of pretty awful designs also,makes this game one frustrating/hard game most of the time...i`m like 30 hours in now and I still have the 3 starting guns and no way to make another or whatever,I collect tons of garbage but I can`t do crap with them,the customise tool is poorly made menu wise,and the CC condition animation,like I said before,are some of the ugliest things ever...nothing like seeing your guy curled up in a standing foestus position,while a Boss lumbers towards those basels to fill himself back up,while minor thugs respawn right on top of you and machine gun you out of nowhere...Chapter 6 by the way,I come close to beating the Boss,guess i`ll have to grind again.

Top Bottom