• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

thcsquad

Destroy them? Aren't you supposed to just open them? I never intentionally destroyed a treasure box with a grenade or gunfire, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was something you didn't want to do if you wanted what was inside.

ronito

zerokoolpsx said:
It should have briefly explained it in Chapter 1. Ok, here's a crash course for activating terminals. Terminals only work with colored hexes and only if you met the minimum requirement for that terminal. Terminals do not work with colorless hexes! For instance, the first terminal you find is 0/3 for it to work. So all you need is 3. The colored hexes can be linked via by the elevator by connecting them, but not by the core lifts. So you can have one colored terminal on one floor, all the way to the elevator, going down, and still continue to another terminal. Terminal effects even work in dungeons! So started linking if you want the effects. Now, if you're going to activate two terminals, it's the sum of both required hexes to activate. If you do not meet it, it'll deactivate your terminal, so you won't have the bonus effect. So first terminal requires 3, second terminal requires 50. So you need 53 hexes of that color. If you're short by even one, it'll deactivate all terminals linked to that color. Terminal effects do stack and it works for both sides. If you have a terminal effect that increase fire damage and link it to a dungeon. If the enemy has a fire attack, it'll do more damage to you. So think of it as a double edge sword. It can help, but also can hurt you.
Start linking the first terminal to the arena, and then attend it to the elevator 6 first. You can gain experience and items in the arena. With all the increased exp, rare item drops, 1.5 items drops and 2x terminal effects on my arena. I was level 230+ at 75 hours redoing rank 45-3. I'm just grinding for the star at every rank, then I can finally do a NG+.
see? this makes my whole overly complicated point.

Don

thcsquad said:
Destroy them? Aren't you supposed to just open them? I never intentionally destroyed a treasure box with a grenade or gunfire, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was something you didn't want to do if you wanted what was inside.
Are these the gold, silver and bronze crates? How do you open them?

I think everytime I see them I usually either ignore them or shoot them :lol

Seems like that may be my problem then, but it kind of sucks if I can't complete this mission because of that.

Don said:
Are these the gold, silver and bronze crates? How do you open them?

I think everytime I see them I usually either ignore them or shoot them :lol

Seems like that may be my problem then, but it kind of sucks if I can't complete this mission because of that.
Run up to them and press x.

Don

Wow. How did I get this far not knowing that :lol

I just tried it there now and my mind has been blown.

Now I wish I had an earlier save so that I could go and do that mission properly.

Beezy

zerokoolpsx said:
Scratch damage = temporary damage that will heal over time if you do any action. Direct Damage is pretty self explanatory. Scratch damage can never kill, so you need direct. Scratch them first, then hit them with direct. The scratch damage will then be converted to direct damage.
I understand now, but I had no idea what the fuck was going on for the first few encounters. It's almost impossible to figure out the battle system without reading/doing the tutorials.

Jhoan

Princess Skittles said:
This is $27 on Amazon today.
That's a pretty sweet deal especially for 360 players (like me) who haven't had the opportunity to check it out. I'll probably check it out, as I haven't bought another JRPG on the 360 since Eternal Sonata (and it's pretty meh) and I'm a sucker for JRPGs and this is as good of a price as it'll get. When does this deal expire?

Princess Skittles said:
Is there a demo for this? Browsing through some pages here I'm not sure what to make yet.

There's a demo on the Japanese marketplace at least, I'm not sure if one ever came out in the US.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
iconoclast said:
There's a demo on the Japanese marketplace at least, I'm not sure if one ever came out in the US.
Yeah, just checked xbox.com and didn't see anything but screenshots.

I might pass after all, it seems like the game has a steep learning curve and I don't think I'm in the mood for a long RPG at the moment.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Princess Skittles said:
Is there a demo for this? Browsing through some pages here I'm not sure what to make yet.

It's a fantastic game and worth playing big-time. It's definitely got a steep learning curve, but IMO it's the best RPG to come out this gen.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
djtiesto said:
It's a fantastic game and worth playing big-time. It's definitely got a steep learning curve, but IMO it's the best RPG to come out this gen.
We have extremely similar gaming tastes, so now I'm being turned around.

Anything to compare it to? Maybe especially compared to other 360 JRPGs?

djtiesto

Princess Skittles said:

Hmm... I don't really know if you can compare it to anything on the 360, it's really very unorthodox in everything from the world map movement (a hexagon-based structure with multiple levels where you rotate puzzle pieces to unlock new areas), to the battle system, to the story structure (where it's 16 chapters + one intro, each involving a little vignette, with the overall plot extremely obfuscated). If I could really compare it to any other RPG, it would be Valkyrie Profile 1, in its unorthodoxity.

My best advice though, is if you want to play it, go do every single tutorial at the Arena first, and not be afraid of asking for help if something confuses you. Once you get the hang of things, all flows pretty smoothly.

SoulFist

Has anyone tried using amazon gaming credit they got for purchasing a different game to get this game? I was planning on picking this up for 7 dollars, using my 20 dollar Halo Reach credit, but it won't let me. I looked at the sellers, and the one sold by Amazon is 37 dollars. What gives?

Princess Skittles said:

Well its a pretty amazing jrpg. Compared to the others though its a biff different.

The battle system is seemingly complex at the beginning. It will require you to sit down and learn it. Eventually though you will master it and while mostly 1 strategy kind of works, you still feel really good taking down pretty much every battle.

So the battle system is turn based pretty much and requires some positioning elements. It's not like Tales of Vesperia or Eternal Sonata, so it's not like an action rpg. It also isn't like Lost Odyssey as it has some semi real time elements.

Also compared to those games, world traversal is way different. You lay down pieces on a map pretty much and sometimes lay down a dungeon or a town where you go explore it. Random encounters while on the map, but not in the dungeons. Dungeons are pretty bland, but you will never get lost in them.

I'd say unlike the other jrpgs on the 360, their is a lot of character tinkering. Making their weapons great can be time consuming, fun, and rewarding. If your into that kind of thing that is. You may have grind for resources though. Level grinding isn't exactly required, but because of the way it works can easily be exploited. It's not that big of deal and since your party is only three people, it doesn't require that much management. Compared to the other jrpgs though, I did grind more.

It's a great game though and really tickles the hardcore jrpg person inside me. I think if you just sit down and learn the game, you'll find a lot of fun in it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SoulFist said:
Has anyone tried using amazon gaming credit they got for purchasing a different game to get this game? I was planning on picking this up for 7 dollars, using my 20 dollar Halo Reach credit, but it won't let me. I looked at the sellers, and the one sold by Amazon is 37 dollars. What gives?
It looks like it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" so you'll get Amazon shipping but I'd imagine that's why your credit won't apply.

Jhoan

I finally got this game yesterday and after sinking in 4 hours worth of playtime in the Prologue, I can say it's a pretty damn good game and I loved Infinite Undiscovery and played Valkyrie Profile 2 so I'm familiar with how the breaking stuff works. It has a creepy story so far
The Zenith is a machine that people perceive as God, but don't that it's not, The Pretorian (sp?) died of mysterious circumstances, the whole idea of free-will which might be dictated by this machine god; Cardinals trying to maintain a compassionate faith that requires the sacrifice of people; it's crazy stuff, but I'm intrigued by it.
The combat system has been kicking my ass from time to time, but I'm getting the hang of it a little bit but for every 3-4 battles, I get my ass kicked.

I'm digging the characters and the mechanical look of the world and the themes, not to mention that it has Alicia's VA from VP2, Nolan North of most of this gen's games fame, and Robin/Lloyd's VA; awesome music from Sakuraba; it's pretty kick ass. I'm getting a little bit of a Shadow Hearts vibe from the game in terms of quirky characters
What's up with the dude that you deliver the necklace to and his shirt? it definitely gave me a WTF? vibe.
I have customized my guns and have been focusing on getting the charge time up and level grinding. Oh and did I mention that this game has one of the most informative and most useful instruction manuals ever? I get the impression that the devs knew that this game was gonna be hard and a bit complicated so they provided plenty of tips in the manual. I'll play some more in a bit (gonna move on to Chapter 1) and I'll post some more thoughts in a future post.

JKTrix

I picked this up today since Gamestop had it used for $30 (though I had to go to 2 different stores before I found it). Played about 4 hours, and am really digging it. I downloaded the Japanese demos forever ago and didn't know what the hell was going on, but I went back to it after playing the full game and really cleaned up.

I'm normally a fan of Japanese voices in games too, but I think I'll be playing this in English all the way.

Finaika

Despite the game been getting mixed reviews all over, I've decided to buy it anyway since I was in the mood for some HD JRPG. And I was simply shocked, as this game is awesome. I'm loving the hell out of it, my favourite PS3 game at the moment :D

Shows that you can't judge a game based on reviews, you must play it firsthand.

Zertez said:
Is this game out of print already? I cant find it in stores anywhere new.

Shops move on quickly nowadays, and with the huge onslaught of Fall games both out and on the way, I think must big stores would make room for new stock instead of putting an 9 month old game (and one that not a huge seller) on their shelves.

If you don't see it on show you could always try and ask have they it in stock in the back though. They could have a few copies boxed up behind the counter... and there is always Amazon too.

Zertez

Yeah it is understandable why they dont continue to stock it. I was waiting for a price drop on it before I picked it up. I saw it in Best Buy one week with 7 copies left, the next weekend all copies were gone. This was about a month ago. I guess they could have sold every copy, but it seemed like it was just pulled.

Zertez

Thanks for the links. I know I can still find it through some online stores and small mom and pop stores. I just find it odd to see it out of print this early. You can find niche older rpgs like Magna Carta 2 and Cross Edge through Amazon, but RoF, you have to go through smaller online stores. This is Sega after all, so guess that is all that needs to be said.

Jhoan

This game is awesome, hands down; I'm enjoying it way more than Mass Effect 2. I would have happily paid 60 bucks and not regret it. Right now, I believe I'm at Chapter 4; not too sure. It's the part where
You gotta go into the forest to get a mannequin for the eccentric art dude; I hate that dungeon, especially because you gotta make sure you don't shoot the oil drums so the treasure chests won't get destroyed. I've had to reload it multiple times; still not done with it.
I've gotten the hang of the combat system; it's not so bad, I think it took me at least 10 hours to fully understand how it works although I haven't mastered it yet, but I could get through most battles unscathed now although I do die ocassionally here and there but that's from bad strategy. The characters are hilarious, especially Vashyron who's a huge douchebag. My characters are at level 15 (Vash), and level 12 for Zeph and Leanne. My Leanne looks like Sarah Palin in black hair and glasses and purple eyes; I suppose playing dress-up is a pretty nice distraction. The arena's pretty cool place to level up at. I'm saving up for the handgun; almost got enough to afford it. Again, I love this game and I would say it's one of Tri-Ace's best games in recent memory; it's laugh-out loud funny. I'm looking forward to more of Vash and co's antics with the eccentric cardinals.

the
mannequin
part is the worst in the game, i hated it.

vashyron rocks. wait until you get to those special cutscenes involving him and.....:D

ronito

Augemitbutter said:
the
mannequin
part is the worst in the game, i hated it.

vashyron rocks. wait until you get to those special cutscenes involving him and.....:D
Yeah I just got there and now I need some help.

I can get to the boss no problem. But that boss is just awful.

Here's what I need help with.

I keep going into Critical status. I can clear his two little Mr. Torchys no problem. But when I focus on the boss eventually I go into critical status and I don't really know how to get out. Gimme some help. I'm at wit's end.

Aaron

I don't know which boss this is, but normally for the big enemies you can do hero actions on the ground (don't jump), which if you do a powered shot will send them into the air, and cancel their attack build up. You can use the peons to build up more hero actions if you're not breaking enough of the boss to earn them. Besides that, play keep away with your wounded characters, and heal up anyone in danger. You could also hunt for more shards to have a better supply of hero actions.

Make sure you've been changing your weapons around between the three to build up their levels, work on your gun setups to max stun/damage output, and when all else fails: spam grenades like crazy.

does the boss have armor around him? look for the green circle, there might be an opening somewhere. most probably on his back, so try to get behind him with hero actions if possible.

Finaika

ronito said:
Yeah I just got there and now I need some help.

I can get to the boss no problem. But that boss is just awful.

Here's what I need help with.

I keep going into Critical status. I can clear his two little Mr. Torchys no problem. But when I focus on the boss eventually I go into critical status and I don't really know how to get out. Gimme some help. I'm at wit's end.
I just threw molotov cocktails at the boss and he surprisingly died very, very fast.

ronito

Aaron said:
I don't know which boss this is, but normally for the big enemies you can do hero actions on the ground (don't jump), which if you do a powered shot will send them into the air, and cancel their attack build up. You can use the peons to build up more hero actions if you're not breaking enough of the boss to earn them. Besides that, play keep away with your wounded characters, and heal up anyone in danger. You could also hunt for more shards to have a better supply of hero actions.

Make sure you've been changing your weapons around between the three to build up their levels, work on your gun setups to max stun/damage output, and when all else fails: spam grenades like crazy.
so stupid question time. How do I build up more hero actions? And how do I get out of critical status? I know it's by gaining a bezel but what's the quickest way to accomplish this?

thcsquad

ronito said:
so stupid question time. How do I build up more hero actions? And how do I get out of critical status? I know it's by gaining a bezel but what's the quickest way to accomplish this?

You get more hero actions by getting bezel shards as drops. The best places to farm them are the red boss hexes. There's also a crap ton just lying on level 12, but it sounds like you don't have access yet.

As for getting out of critical status, you have to either kill an enemy or destroy a body part to gain a bezel. Which is pretty much impossible if you're in critical status, save a body part or enemy being at 100% scratch. If you find yourself in critical status, you might be ending you hero actions too close to him. As somebody else said, cancelling his gauge by shooting him from the ground works well too.

Killing that mannequin boss? I don't remember what his weaknesses are, but use the Clairvoyance item to find it out, and then either buy the appropriate grenade or rounds to exploit that. Similarly, take careful note of where his body parts are. If you can aim a hero action so it bypasses body parts, that's really optimal. Armor-piercing rounds are generally the panacea for bosses you can't beat any other way, they're almost like cheating. You can farm them at the arena, though I don't know if you can get them yet.

Jhoan

Sweet Jesus! I'm addicted to this game! Seriously, I've been playing it for 7-10 hours straight during these recent days. I've been doing the story missions and and side quests and ignored the Arena almost entirely now and I'm up to Chapter 12 now. The story starts to get more serious from Chapter 9 and up and so far, it's been pretty interesting, a bit head scratching but interesting
it's sad that poor Pater died trying to prove himself to Leanne and it was all because that ring sealed his fate; he was a funny guy; I rocked out the Love Me shirts on Leanne and Zephyr to mourn his death and the purple shirt that has Pater on it that's Leanne's. I crashed the wedding only to find out that Leanne kissed Zephyr's hand. It was pretty funny when Vash crashed in on them. Oh and the 11 boss was a pain in the ass! He was so cheap. Oh and the Barbarella scene was hilarious! The whole analogy of Barbarella's boobs to grapes and Leanne's boobs to raisins and the booty shaking dance was definitely a standout moment.
The achievements are the big carrot on the stick that's keeping me going and also the story. I did the Chapter 6 infinte money farm so I'm pretty much set in terms of money. My characters are levels 68 (V), 63 (L), and 62 (Z). Dual SMGs plus full scratch damage make most battles a joke.

As for tips on how to beat
Caligula (the mannequin boss on Ch. 3)
, chuck molotov cocktails at him to gradually build up scratch damage and hide behind the bunkers and concentrate on taking him out only not his cohorts because they respawn. Also, be sure to use Hero Actions and Tri-Attacks if you can with your MG going first for obvious reasons. If you're struggling, then do some level grinding in the Arena and/or in random encounters and be sure you have a good stock of molotov cocktails on you and upgrade the guns, oh and destroy parts to gain back Bezels and make sure you don't spend your last Bezel, otherwise you're screwed and go to red spots on the overworld to gain Bezel shard pieces (4 makes 1).

Again, I can't say it enough, awesome game; once the combat clicks, it becomes incredibly satisfying to pull off Bonus hits, smack downs and Gun-Fu runs like a pro. It's a shame sold so low and I doubt we'll see another entry, but man, it's one of the best JRPG's this gen and it's easily becoming one of my personal favorites right next to Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia.

Aaron

ronito said:
To get more bezels, clear the level hexes and defeat the red spots. Building up in battle is a matter of killing enemies and breaking armor. When you're in critical status, it's very hard to do since you're weapons are weakened. Grenades still do the same level of damage, but there's an added delay in them going off. They're your best bet, though of course the right solution is never to go critical in the first place. That takes a long while to pull off, though for the final third of the game I almost never went critical. Though I had a ton of bezels by then.

Make sure to plan your attacks in relation to where the cover is, how close your heroes will be to the enemies, etc. Don't just spam hero actions. If enemies have to move to get in range, use that time to blast them with standing shots to save your hero actions. If you plan things well, you can set up that triangle of death thing on tougher enemies. That usually earns you more bezels than it actually costs.

Pakkidis

Just wanted to add that I'm loving this game. The game was overwhelming at first because its a new battle system but after chapter 1 everything starts to 'click' into place. I'm almost finished the game and may grind out the arena to get the achievement(s). Funny thing is, I do not like JRPG's. The biggest downfall I find with this game is that it is getting very repetitive near the end.

How many enemies can you fully scratch on a single hero run. Right now I can do 2 enemies and then I follow up with my hand gun user.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Game is $20 on Newegg today. Any opinions on which version to get re: performance? I've seen a lot of screenshot comparisons but haven't heard much otherwise. All things equal (or close enough)I'd prefer the PS3 version.

Pakkidis

Monroeski said:
Game is $20 on Newegg today. Any opinions on which version to get re: performance? I've seen a lot of screenshot comparisons but haven't heard much otherwise. All things equal (or close enough)I'd prefer the PS3 version.

With this game, it doesn't make a difference, both are pretty much equal. Go for the PS3 if you want.

Jhoan

So I beat the game over last weekend and I have to say, I was still confused by the story but thankfully, the game's wikipedia page cleared everything up, but it was a satisfying ending and kind of charming when
they finally go outside of Basel into a seaside looking area and Leanne had the quarts in her the whole time. It would have been nice if they would have made an add-on revolving around the outside world as an Epilogue of sorts.
This has gotta be one of my favorite JRPGs this gen and possibly Tri-Ace's best title to date (although again, I loved Infinite Undiscovery, but I'm in the minority there) and probably one of my personal GOTYs next to Deadly Premonition. I'll see if I write a review soon. I still got Neverland to plow through which is a bitch so I've been level grinding like crazy in random encounters until I'm strong enough to go into the places (111/101/101) and get all the stars/ beat Ranks 16 through 50-10 so that should be fun and a couple of more achievements to plow through. It sucks that the game sold so low again considering how well it was done so I doubt we'll ever get an add-on.

I still don't know how activating terminals work, so I'm extremely confused about that; I do have the 1.5x the item drop connected to the Arena and about 40-something blue straight hexes and I know I need a ton more than that to place them down and connect the terminals. I would like to connect the double XP one to it.

Jipan said:
I still don't know how activating terminals work, so I'm extremely confused about that; I do have the 1.5x the item drop connected to the Arena and about 40-something blue straight hexes and I know I need a ton more than that to place them down and connect the terminals. I would like to connect the double XP one to it.

This is from memory:

You have hex shapes and single-hex pieces. Hex shapes drop from mobs, come from chests and rewards, etc. Hex pieces are obtained by trading in hex shapes at the guild.

The terminal you're after needs to be tagged by a hex piece of the color you want to use. Then, you can connect your hex shapes to it.

Jhoan

Gaming Truth said:
This is from memory:

You have hex shapes and single-hex pieces. Hex shapes drop from mobs, come from chests and rewards, etc. Hex pieces are obtained by trading in hex shapes at the guild.

The terminal you're after needs to be tagged by a hex piece of the color you want to use. Then, you can connect your hex shapes to it.

Oh no! Damn! I messed up then because I tagged most of the terminals... in white Hexes. Oh man, I shot myself in the foot and pretty much screwed myself over until the next playthrough.

Jipan said:
Oh no! Damn! I messed up then because I tagged most of the terminals... in white Hexes. Oh man, I shot myself in the foot and pretty much screwed myself over until the next playthrough.

No no no, they're definitely overwritable.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just got this game...

10 hours in and I can safely say that this is by far
not counting Demon's Souls
the best JRPG this generation. Love the artstyle. Awesome battlesystem. And even the presentation of the story is leagues better then you normally see in these kind of games.

That said, still don't know how to powerup those pesky terminals.

ronito

so I just suck at this game.
I'm on chapter 4, the store hasn't started selling grenades yet and I've got either the statue escort mission or the liberate lucia missions left (I've done the rest).

I typically try to get the non-mission stories done first.
I just beat the monster with the doll (that took forever, I accidently went into the fight with just two Bezels and didn't save before).

Now I'm trying to clear out the red areas around Lucia. I'm stuck on the very next fight where there's like 6 thugs. Grenades would help but I'm mostly out and can't buy more. Seems just when I feel I'm doing rather well at the game this game reaches out and kicks my ass. Give me some tips GAF (more than "use hero actions" I do that plenty)

thcsquad

Jipan said:

You just have the farm the colored hexes, whatever hexes you put down erase what was under them.

djtiesto

ronito said:
so I just suck at this game.
I'm on chapter 4, the store hasn't started selling grenades yet and I've got either the statue escort mission or the liberate lucia missions left (I've done the rest).

I typically try to get the non-mission stories done first.
I just beat the monster with the doll (that took forever, I accidently went into the fight with just two Bezels and didn't save before).

Now I'm trying to clear out the red areas around Lucia. I'm stuck on the very next fight where there's like 6 thugs. Grenades would help but I'm mostly out and can't buy more. Seems just when I feel I'm doing rather well at the game this game reaches out and kicks my ass. Give me some tips GAF (more than "use hero actions" I do that plenty)

You don't have to do the red hex battles right away, they remain there until the end of the game... some of them you should just wait on. And chapter 4 was a toughie... any other tips? Hmm, just grin and bear it for a bit :p

For the thugs, try and take out the ones with machineguns first, as they do the most damage.

Top Bottom