• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Jhoan

thcsquad said:
You just have the farm the colored hexes, whatever hexes you put down erase what was under them.

I'm still confused by how that works. I know that in order to activate all the terminal, you need the sum of whatever hex is needed to activate it. The other day, I jammed on the A button trying to place the blue hexes on the terminals in order to activate them, but to no avail. So that means that in order to activate the terminals and place the hexes on the regular spots, I'll need for example 250 blue straight hexes in order to place any down, is that right?

ronito

Man, so I learned something about this game.
Don't play it when you're tired.
I was complaining about that fight well I was playing at 1-2am and it was just disastrous. I thought I was missing something.

Then I tried again last night when I wasn't so tired. Still hard but doable.
Not a game to play when your head's not in it.

Jipan said:
I'm still confused by how that works. I know that in order to activate all the terminal, you need the sum of whatever hex is needed to activate it. The other day, I jammed on the A button trying to place the blue hexes on the terminals in order to activate them, but to no avail. So that means that in order to activate the terminals and place the hexes on the regular spots, I'll need for example 250 blue straight hexes in order to place any down, is that right?

You can place down hexes even if you don't have the required amount to activate a terminal.
However, the hex color must match the terminal's hex color. In other word, if the terminal has a hex color of red, then no amount of blue hexes can save you.

Anticitizen One said:
This game is gonna be on sale on Amazon soon. is it worth checking out?
Yes if you like a bit more hardcore JRPGs. If you like a game that requires you to learn its gameplay.

-It's got a lot of weapon tinkering. You can sit for hours and try to figure out the best way to improve your guns. You may also have to grind for parts to do it.

-A cool leveling up system that makes you switch up characters, but if you use it to your advantage you can avoid a lot of grinding.

-A cool battle system that requires some thought and strategy. Character placement is very important and the way you use your turns can really effect the battle.

-Also buying clothes is cool.

-The game also has some flaws though. Honestly, for a lot of the game, ounce you figure out how the game works, you may just use the same strategy.

Jipan said:
Unless there is a blue color hex on that terminal, or near that terminal. Those blue hexes won't work until then. There are spots on the grid that has colored hexes. Unlock those and use them. You do not need 250 blue straight hexes before putting one down. :lol That's crazy. You can put one down, as long as its adjacent to another blue color hex on the grid. You can place them as you get them. Don't save up, just spend it. It's important that the colors must match. Terminals are color dependent!
Once you activate one terminal or more. The colored hex starts to glow or pulse. You'll see it in the grid and in dungeons if you have it connected.

taoofjord

I grabbed this on sale, too. I'm really excited about playing an rpg with a deep and interesting combat system.

I've actually been out of the loop on jrpgs for a few years now. Does anyone have any other recommendations of great, interesting jrpgs since late ps2 years? I've had my eye on Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile 2, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, and Persona 3 & 4. The only problem is that, from my understanding, those SMT games don't have interesting combat so much as a fun pokemon collect-a-thon mechanic. Any other suggestions?

vocab

taoofjord said:
I grabbed this on sale, too. I'm really excited about playing an rpg with a deep and interesting combat system.

I've actually been out of the loop on jrpgs for a few years now. Does anyone have any other recommendations of great, interesting jrpgs since late ps3 years? I've had my eye on Valkyria Chronicles, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, and Persona 3 & 4. The only problem is that, from my understanding, those SMT games don't have interesting combat so much as a fun pokemon collect-a-thon mechanic. Any other suggestions?

DDS/Persona 3/4 are turn based, and have many different elemental attributes you got to worry about. Also, no demon collecting in DDS. They are some of the best ps2 rpgs. If you are looking for something else, then Demon's Souls is your only hope because console JRPGS suck dick these days.

taoofjord

Whoops, forgot to mention that I have and adore Demon's Souls. Great recommendation though! It's one of my absolute favorites from this generation of consoles.

Jhoan

taoofjord said:

I've actually been out of the loop on jrpgs for a few years now. Does anyone have any other recommendations of great, interesting jrpgs since late ps2 years? I've had my eye on Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile 2, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, and Persona 3 & 4. The only problem is that, from my understanding, those SMT games don't have interesting combat so much as a fun pokemon collect-a-thon mechanic. Any other suggestions?

Shadows Hearts and its sequel Shadow Hearts: Covenant and From the New World (although I never played FtNW and Covenant is in my backlog). Those three games have got to be some of the unique games if only because of the surreal plot and setting and refreshing combat system. Rogue Galaxy is another good game although the combat does get repetitive and boring after a couple of hours but otherwise, it's a great game. I would say the Kingdom Hearts series is also another good one although the plot gets ridiculous in KH2 and Dragon Quest 8.

O.k so, the color of the terminal hex is a specific color and so I have to place the specific color of that hex, I got that. It's gonna a pain in the ass to farm for colored hexes, otherwise, thanks for clearing it guys. I'll give it a shot soon. As many people have said, this gotta be this year's best console JRPG so for those of you who recently got it, enjoy it and don't be put of by the slighty intimidating steep learning curve. It's a great game once you know how everything works and the characters are awesome and funny.

taoofjord

Sounds like I'll be good to go with Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Persona 3 Portable and (of course) Tactics Ogre PSP when it comes out in a couple months :] Sorry to de-rail the thread! I'll post my impressions on RoF when I get it in a couple of days.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
taoofjord said:

Nope you are thankfully wrong there. The SMT games have some of the best battle systems in a j-rpg. And only nocturne has the pokemon collect-a-thon mechanic.

taoofjord

Lafiel said:
Nope you are thankfully wrong there. The SMT games have some of the best battle systems in a j-rpg. And only nocturne has the pokemon collect-a-thon mechanic.

Oh, I'm not dissing the SMT games. What I meant to say (and I could still be wrong with this) is that with the SMT games (except Devil Survivor which is an sRPG, right?) is that more of the strategy and depth comes from planning and optimizing your inventory/equipment/etc instead of making the right tactical/strategic choices during combat. That's not to say it doesn't have the latter, but from what I gather, games like Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and Resonance of Fate have more of an emphasis on the combat than the planning.

Nakiro

archnemesis said:
Folklore is a very good and underappreciated adventure game with a lot of RPG elements. Otherwise I agree with vocab. Most other JRPGs for the PS3 aren't really that good.
Folklore was a great game. Too bad we never got a sequel...

I've been wanting to dig into this game for a while now. Just waiting till I have more time to invest into it.

thcsquad

taoofjord said:
Sounds like I'll be good to go with Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Persona 3 Portable and (of course) Tactics Ogre PSP when it comes out in a couple months :] Sorry to de-rail the thread! I'll post my impressions on RoF when I get it in a couple of days.

You should really add Folklore to that list. Its cheap now, as with all the rest, and ranks up there with Valkyria and Resonance of Fate for me.

taoofjord said:
I've actually been out of the loop on jrpgs for a few years now. Does anyone have any other recommendations of great, interesting jrpgs since late ps2 years?
If you're looking for tactics games like Valkyria Chronicles, check my recommendation list here. They all have 'deep and interesting' combat systems if you can understand and appreciate them.

29zr80zjpg.gif

most under-rated, under-appreciated rpg this gen...

jcm

I just started this game, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the battle system. Is there a battling for dummies post somewhere? I get the gist of it, but I'm not sure if I should be using hero attacks and tri attacks in all battles, or some battles, or just on bosses, or what? Should I be upgrading my guns? Is two HG and 1 MG a decent choice? I bought something that's supposed to attack if I run out of time. How do I equip it? Does changing clothes have any actual effect?

Im sure this has all been covered somewhere, but it's a big thread. Thanks for your help.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Go to the arena! Lots of training there (go to the counter on the left side).

Also, upgrade your weapons and always keep yourself geared with the best weapons. It's a hard and rewarding game. Amazing fucking game. Except for the story, which sucks balls. Also, the girl in this game is hot.

Teppic

jcm said:
I just started this game, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the battle system. Is there a battling for dummies post somewhere? I get the gist of it, but I'm not sure if I should be using hero attacks and tri attacks in all battles, or some battles, or just on bosses, or what? Should I be upgrading my guns? Is two HG and 1 MG a decent choice? I bought something that's supposed to attack if I run out of time. How do I equip it? Does changing clothes have any actual effect?

Im sure this has all been covered somewhere, but it's a big thread. Thanks for your help.
I wrote some tips here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22396034&postcount=2119

Hero actions are good if you want to deal a lot of MG damage to an enemy or stun an enemy with HG. Run towards an enemy and jump at the last second to get as many charges as you can. Remember that the closer you are to an enemy, the faster the charging goes. You will get more charges as your HG/MG level goes up.

You don't need to use them all the time, you can stand still and attack them if you are low on bezel shards. I found this to be a better tactics in some battles where you can hide behind boxes to avoid taking damage and take out enemies one by one, then using hero actions on the last enemies.

Hero actions are also good if the enemies have body parts around them and you want to take out the enemy without going through the body parts first. Run and jump to attack the main body.

Tri attacks can be good to use if you get in the right position and you really need it. Make sure that enemies are inside the triangle and that there's no obstacles to run into. Larger enemies can be obstacles too. It can be an advantage at times, but also a disadvantage if you screw up. Personally I never used them much.

You can equip things in the menu. It might be in status or something. I don't remember.

Clothing doesn't have any effect, it's just for fun.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Augemitbutter said:
yes, you'll be constantly unlocking costumes. you can call it fashion RPG if you want.
If somebody told me this was a Fashion RPG at launch, I would have bought it.

I'm being serious. :lol

Dragon Quest IX was a delicious poison for me.

MjFrancis

This JRPG is well worth the $20. Highlighting the fashion design options of the game while ignoring the mammoth difficulty curve of the combat system would be criminal, however. :lol

Teknoman

I wonder how long it'll take for Newegg's free shipping to reach me. I ordered it on Nov. 26, but its been in Atlanta since Nov.30/Dec. 1.

This is probably my favorite JRPG this gen. I'm missing four Achievements at the moment...I love it so much that I'm determined to 1000 it :D I'm currently having fun in
Neverland

Blasted internet. Can someone tell me how far through the game it's revealed that
Leanne has an expiration date
or something. I haven't started playing this yet but I'd like to know if I've had something major spoiled.

zlatko

Banned
Looking back on the year as a whole this was easily my favorite JRPG of the year, and my #6 favorite game of this year.

I hope Tri-Ace does a sequel/prequel/spiritual successor, or at least takes what they learned from this game and applies the good into the next Star Ocean game. Really though I hope they are working on a new Valkyrie Profile, but ONLY if it won't suck. :D

Yoshiya

zlatko said:
I hope Tri-Ace does a sequel/prequel/spiritual successor, or at least takes what they learned from this game and applies the good into the next Star Ocean game. Really though I hope they are working on a new Valkyrie Profile, but ONLY if it won't suck. :D

A little concerning given I seem to remember talk of financial trouble at the studio not too long ago, and we haven't heard a whisper as to their future projects since this came out. It's almost been a year now, not looking good :/

A Huge Battleship said:
Blasted internet. Can someone tell me how far through the game it's revealed that
or something. I haven't started playing this yet but I'd like to know if I've had something major spoiled.

nothing major there. you won't understand the story by simply playing anyway. you'll have to talk to as many villagers as possible and get info post game. the story direction is very vague.

I just got this game a few days ago and I love it. I am learning how to properly play it despite the step learning curve. The combat feels refreshing and rewarding. Sometimes, I feel it can be just as hard as Demon's Souls if you don't know what you are doing though. Highly recommended if you like hardcore JRPG's. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My brother just finished this game and now it's reminding me I need to replay on NG+ to unlock that last trophy and Platinum the game. And oh yeah, we haven't heard anything from tri-Ace for a while :(

Hoping their next game is VP Hrist, for the HD twins. *drool*

slaughterking said:
I'm not sure when exactly that was revealed, but it's definitely no endgame stuff or anything.
Augemitbutter said:
nothing major there. you won't understand the story by simply playing anyway. you'll have to talk to as many villagers as possible and get info post game. the story direction is very vague.
Appreciate it, thanks. I'll likely start on this after I finish SO4.

Aaron

A Huge Battleship said:
You'd have to pay really close attention to know what that means before the game actually reveals that to you. The story is pretty obtuse.

Yoshiya said:
A little concerning given I seem to remember talk of financial trouble at the studio not too long ago, and we haven't heard a whisper as to their future projects since this came out. It's almost been a year now, not looking good :/

Wait, what? I mean, I can understand how that could be the case, but I hadn't heard that anywhere. Where's this information coming from?

Terrible news, if true.

MoxManiac

Anonymous Tipster said:
Wait, what? I mean, I can understand how that could be the case, but I hadn't heard that anywhere. Where's this information coming from?

Terrible news, if true.

Indeed. I don't think I could bear the thought of never having another VP game :/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I was spinning around (metaphorically speaking) on whether or not to buy this game, like Princess Skittles I'm big on customization and you all talking about how if you take your time and learn the game it'll be great made me grab it off Amazon(18.98 total), I'll hate you all if I don't like it. Fair deal right? :D

Yoshiya

MoxManiac said:
Indeed. I don't think I could bear the thought of never having another VP game :/
I could be wrong, but I remember hearing speculation on WAHP about reports a significant Japanese developer having severe financial trouble probably being Tri-ace. This would have been many months ago now. The signs aren't encouraging though; they've released three HD games this gen so far but we've heard nothing from them at all since RoF came out (did they handle SO4 International?). They have multi-game dev capacity, so you'd think they'd have shown something by now.

Top Bottom