• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

jcm

hsukardi said:
What really sells me on an RPG is the character/plot though.
All RPGs can have great addictive system mechanics.. but if they're only that, it's nothing then just a time-sink simulator.

Does Reasonance of Fate deliver on the character/plot side?

I found the story incomprehensible, but I liked the characters, and enjoyed the cut scenes even though I didn't know exactly what was going on.

Honestly, though, the game is like $20. Give it a chance.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have no problem with that (they actually change the positioning and even the enemies themselves), my problem is the requirement of 10 fights EACH RANK for the trophy.

Yaweee

So, I'm at the halfway point or something (middle of Chapter 7?), and the game continues to impress me. I;m constantly learning and applying new aspects of the game mechanics and customization system, and haven't found the game to broken or unfair.

I do wish they did a better job with the sidequests. Taking the slow ass Core Lifts between sections to pick up and return quests that expire and become available with each chapter is dumb, and I can't understand what the developers were thinking with the Arena. Still great game, 21 hours in, and looking forward to playing some more this week having just finished Demon's Souls. It's like each chapter is forcing me to understand a new aspect of the battle system in order to survive.

Kronotech

I'm enjoying this game so far - only finished chapter 1. Something I don't quite understand yet though... is sometimes my charge time for shooting is extremely slow. So slow that my characters will just charge until they run out of time and then end their turn. The first boss wasn't too difficult but it was frustrating because Vashyron was the only one who could hit. The others would just time out and stand there. Other battles, however, allows my characters plenty of time.

I only had 1 Hero action left so I was restricted to only standing and shooting from the platform.

Korigama

Kronotech said:
I'm enjoying this game so far - only finished chapter 1. Something I don't quite understand yet though... is sometimes my charge time for shooting is extremely slow. So slow that my characters will just charge until they run out of time and then end their turn. The first boss wasn't too difficult but it was frustrating because Vashyron was the only one who could hit. The others would just time out and stand there. Other battles, however, allows my characters plenty of time.

I only had 1 Hero action left so I was restricted to only standing and shooting from the platform.

Proximity is something that affects charge time (the closer you are to an enemy, the quicker the charge, and the farther away, the longer it takes).

The closer you are to the enemy, the faster you charge. Modifying your weapons will also increase charge speed.
And if you're stuck with just standing there and shooting, you're as good as dead anyway. That's not how you play RoF. :p

Yaweee

slaughterking said:
The closer you are to the enemy, the faster you charge. Modifying your weapons will also increase charge speed.
And if you're stuck with just standing there and shooting, you're as good as dead anyway. That's not how you play RoF. :p

But knowing how to attack non-Heroically and manage your characters' regular movements is one of the game's core competencies. A lot of enemies (namely the "gunslinger" and "mimic" types) have weak shields that can easily be blasted with a single non-heroic volley, regenerating an HP and leaving them vulnerable to regular damage.

Kronotech

Ah well that makes perfect sense then. I was further away than normal during that battle.

And the only reason I was using regular attacks and not using my heroic points was that I only had 1 left and I knew that getting into that danger status (can't remember the name right now) would pretty much sink my chances.

Still learning though :)

Boss Doggie

...I just realized that the bulk of the game's plot is in the "attract mode" of the game.

Yaweee said:
But knowing how to attack non-Heroically and manage your characters' regular movements is one of the game's core competencies. A lot of enemies (namely the "gunslinger" and "mimic" types) have weak shields that can easily be blasted with a single non-heroic volley, regenerating an HP and leaving them vulnerable to regular damage.

I tend to do Heroics for weak-shielded enemies so I can destroy the shields and juggle them

Wow, finally started playing after getting bored with another RPG. This game is awesome (especially character interactions, Zephyr). One question, where is the best place to grind for Energy Hexs? Im just in Chapter 3 and like to clear the all of the hexes on the levels that I have access too.

You get more than enough hexes to clear the complete overworld during the game. Grinding now is just a waste and you are at risk of burning yourself out.

slaughterking said:
You get more than enough hexes to clear the complete overworld during the game. Grinding now is just a waste and you are at risk of burning yourself out.

I guess you are right, I have so many of the colored hexes that I spent time just linking them to the elevators to get the effects on multiple levels

I wish more games had the retry feature, too often I make a stupid mistake and just end up "retrying" to, in my mind, score a flawless victory.

I think I must be stupid. I just started the game, and I'm in the Prologue, and I have a bunch of these hexes, but they are all the wrong shape for me to unlock the path to the cafe I'm supposed to go to! What the hell do I do now?

The combat is awesome. While I've been completely unable to figure out how to get where I go next I've been moving my little cursor around to get into fights so I can run and jump and shoot people until they die from it. In typical Tri-Ace fashion, the combat system rewards KICKING ASS. The more asses I kick, the more bezels I get, which allows me to kick more asses. This is quite enjoyable as RPG combat systems go.

Ravidrath

Unknown Soldier said:
I think I must be stupid. I just started the game, and I'm in the Prologue, and I have a bunch of these hexes, but they are all the wrong shape for me to unlock the path to the cafe I'm supposed to go to! What the hell do I do now?

You can overlap new pieces with previously uncovered hexes.

Mileena

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

The combat is awesome. While I've been completely unable to figure out how to get where I go next I've been moving my little cursor around to get into fights so I can run and jump and shoot people until they die from it. In typical Tri-Ace fashion, the combat system rewards KICKING ASS. The more asses I kick, the more bezels I get, which allows me to kick more asses. This is quite enjoyable as RPG combat systems go.
L1 or R1 will rotate the hexes

Wow the arena is pretty addicting. I hated how they opened up rank 11-21 essentially in chapter 5 or 6, so now, after finishing everything in chapter 6, Ive just been clearing each rank (up to the star ranks in each rank), which has been great for just leveling everyone up fast (dual wielding FTW!). I might even just platinum the game with these easy trophies.

Okay, I just finished Chapter 1 and watched the opening cutscenes for Chapter 2, and...

Ahahahahahaha!!...Wow. I don't usually listen to the horrible English voice tracks for localized JRPGs, but man, Nolan North is absolutely a hoot in this game. I'm staying with the English voices just to hear Nolan North insult Leanne's boob size the rest of the game.

Incidentally, Leanne has a mean right hook. She also throws a pretty badass elbow, judging from THE CUTSCENE which I haven't seen in the game's context yet.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow the arena is pretty addicting. I hated how they opened up rank 11-21 essentially in chapter 5 or 6, so now, after finishing everything in chapter 6, Ive just been clearing each rank (up to the star ranks in each rank), which has been great for just leveling everyone up fast (dual wielding FTW!). I might even just platinum the game with these easy trophies.

I think the arena becomes really boring over time. I'm around level 30 and at this point I just want to get the gold coins.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Normally, I don't care for JRPG's too much. Borrowed this from a friend the other day and hooooooooooooly shit it's awesome. That is all.

Boss Doggie

Unknown Soldier said:
Okay, I just finished Chapter 1 and watched the opening cutscenes for Chapter 2, and...

Ahahahahahaha!!...Wow. I don't usually listen to the horrible English voice tracks for localized JRPGs, but man, Nolan North is absolutely a hoot in this game. I'm staying with the English voices just to hear Nolan North insult Leanne's boob size the rest of the game.

Incidentally, Leanne has a mean right hook. She also throws a pretty badass elbow, judging from THE CUTSCENE which I haven't seen in the game's context yet.

Oh god yes, one of the few RPGs whose VAs in English I kept. So good!

warpaint

I really love everything about this game but hey i just have not spent as near to what i have felt give's this game a place i am able to give a view on the game

Yaweee

I'm in the last dungeon and have lost the will to continue for now. I've not been a fan of the dungeon mechanics, and running around hitting switches and getting locked-in to hard battles kind of accentuates the things I dislike most about them.

I'm certain I'll finish eventually (one boss down), but, eh, I don't really feel compelled at the the moment.

I've found the sidequests and arena to be pretty crappy, all-in-all, to the point where I'd actively recommend players to ignore them unless they really, really want to get more playtime out of the game. Honeslty, I think the arena still would have felt boring and repetitive even if it only required ONE battle of each rank to advance.

schennmu said:
I think the arena becomes really boring over time. I'm around level 30 and at this point I just want to get the gold coins.

Hah, I think its pretty fun when I run into those 3rd rank monsters every so levels and own them completely with my buffed up team, and it provides quick money for more cool outfits. Battle system is so addicting that I never get bored too. Hopefully I will be done with all available ranks by the 60th hour (at 53 hours now) so I can finally do the missions in Chapter 7. Everyone is at over level 42 now. I need to focus more on grenades though, Im thnking of just having everyone become focused on just one type of weapon at this point (Leanne grenades and handgun, Vash on handgun, Zephyr on Machinegun)

Mileena

Banned
schennmu said:
I did them all and it made me hate the game. So fucking boring. It wouldn't have been so bad with 5 fights per rank but 10 was dreadful.

Ravidrath

I did all the arena battles, but... yeah, they weren't particularly fun.

They do get you powered-up to take on Neverland and sail through the campaign, though.

I recommend figuring out a way to watch TV or something while you do the arenas, like say on a laptop with Hulu, etc. - makes them much more bearable.

Ravidrath said:
I did all the arena battles, but... yeah, they weren't particularly fun.

They do get you powered-up to take on Neverland and sail through the campaign, though.

I recommend figuring out a way to watch TV or something while you do the arenas, like say on a laptop with Hulu, etc. - makes them much more bearable.

Heh, I just blast the radio as I do it. I hope even during the later ranks, that the matches still take about 6 minutes to finish.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
One of my favorites games of the 2010. I loved the game a lot. The story had an interesting base for something wonderful but it was horribly executed. Sidequest are a mix bag, the arena was a good leveling up option. The cast was fantastic IMO.

Yaweee

7threst said:
I really hope they use the battle-system from this game as a blueprint for battles in a Valkyrie Profile 3 game.

They'd still likely use the 4-button combo-based gameplay of the VP series, and I can't imagine that blending with RoF's system at all.

I would like to see an evolution of the next step, perhaps with shorter ranges/scales and melee attacks. Splines, not just straight lines!

7threst

Yaweee said:
They'd still likely use the 4-button combo-based gameplay of the VP series, and I can't imagine that blending with RoF's system at all.

I would like to see an evolution of the next step, perhaps with shorter ranges/scales and melee attacks. Splines, not just straight lines!

Yeah, somehow I didn't think about the 4-button combos used in the series.. I only thought about Silmeria and how the battlearena's in RoF reminded me of battlearena's in that game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
7threst said:
I really hope they use the battle-system from this game as a blueprint for battles in a Valkyrie Profile 3 game.

Actually they can flesh out the whole battle system more for other kind of weapons. Shotgun,Throwing knives and other kinds of weapons and add melee attacks. perhaps give certain number of movements to do (steps per character so you can make them run in the direction you want and the forms you want)

The overworld style its actually excellent the way it is and it might have some things to be added but it was fine.

Make a spiritual sequel to Resonance of Fate (or New IP) with a more flesh out gameplay with varied level design, Keep that awesome weapon customization and maybe add some visual customization to the weapons and an actual coherent story. Resonance of Fate its an unpolished gem that has a lot of potential of being some of the best things of the genre in a while (gameplay wise it is but it needs to be a full package)

MjFrancis

corkscrewblow said:
I did them all and it made me hate the game. So fucking boring. It wouldn't have been so bad with 5 fights per rank but 10 was dreadful.
It definitely prepared me for Neverland, but it was tedious towards the end. I should have mixed up the arena battles more than I did as well!

My main problem with the game right now is that my Leane looks too fucking hot.

No, there are many more. As somebody said above, the side missions are really bad, but for some reason I feel forced to complete them all. Overall you get great value for you money, but the game is far from perfect. Absolutely love the weapon customization and the voice acting.

At the moment I really don't feel like grinding for the best materials...

schennmu said:
My main problem with the game right now is that my Leane looks too fucking hot.

No, there are many more. As somebody said above, the side missions are really bad, but for some reason I feel forced to complete them all. Overall you get great value for you money, but the game is far from perfect. Absolutely love the weapon customization and the voice acting.

At the moment I really don't feel like grinding for the best materials...

I love it when in battle, the angel they use for Leanne when she is running, and then turns back and fires the gun. Gah, I wish I could screenshot the moment, but it looks awesome.

So I haven't bought a video game in months and after many videos watched on youtube I plopped down the $20 on Amazon and ordered this for my PS3. What exactly am I in store for?

Any suggestions to learn the combat quickly?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FuttBuck said:
So I haven't bought a video game in months and after many videos watched on youtube I plopped down the $20 on Amazon and ordered this for my PS3. What exactly am I in store for?

Any suggestions to learn the combat quickly?

As soon as it becomes available, do the training in the Arena... that will help you come to basics with the combat system. Also a bit of trial and error, and don't be afraid to use everything available in your arsenal if you get stuck.

Boss Doggie

Also don't be afraid to switch around styles. Dual-wield, use nades, etc.

Oh god I want to play dress-up here

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, Chapter 5, doing really well, got my guns customized to hell and back, took out a Lv. 55 in a single Tri-Attack (300+ hit combo, damn that felt awesome). Having one problem though. I'm running REALLY short on Hexes. Like, less than 10 of each of the colorless/grey ones. How should I go about restocking most effectively?

(Also, once again, damn I love this game. Borrowing it from a friend who hates it because "It's too hard". Hmm, perhaps the fact that you're on Chapter 7 and have never once done a Tri-Attack says something about your grasp of the combat system, eh? :lol)

j3hg00

Seraphis Cain said:
Alright, Chapter 5, doing really well, got my guns customized to hell and back, took out a Lv. 55 in a single Tri-Attack (300+ hit combo, damn that felt awesome). Having one problem though. I'm running REALLY short on Hexes. Like, less than 10 of each of the colorless/grey ones. How should I go about restocking most effectively?

(Also, once again, damn I love this game. Borrowing it from a friend who hates it because "It's too hard". Hmm, perhaps the fact that you're on Chapter 7 and have never once done a Tri-Attack says something about your grasp of the combat system, eh? :lol)

I don't remember ever really being strapped for hexes, usually doing all the side quests kept me well stocked. Are you trying to clear out entire levels?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
mygu said:
I don't remember ever really being strapped for hexes, usually doing all the side quests kept me well stocked. Are you trying to clear out entire levels?

...right up until I realized that was a bad idea, yes...

Sure hope I didn't screw myself here.

j3hg00

Seraphis Cain said:
...right up until I realized that was a bad idea, yes...

Sure hope I didn't screw myself here.

If you're a completionist/achievement whore you can grind at the arena a bit to kill two birds with one stone, though I wouldn't bother unless you don't have enough hexes to open the path to your next destination.

I played through by using as few hexes as possible (since it usually isn't possible to clear floors anyways, due to the coloured hexes you don't have yet). You'll easily have enough hexes to clear everything in the end (can directly use coloured ones too, to activate terminals).

mygu said:

I somehow ran out of hexes at the end of like chapter 3 and then in 6 because they wanted it to go all the way down to the mine (and restoring all of the hexes on the level with the second city made the quest much faster and quicker).

Anyway, just one more until I finally reach rank 23 in the arena. I cant wait to get that EXP trainer, it better be worth it. Everyone near lvl 50 at beginning of chapter 7.

Ookami-kun said:
Oh god yes, one of the few RPGs whose VAs in English I kept. So good!

The voice actors for Tidus Zephyr and Leanne weren't really anything to write home about, but they were given extremely witty dialogue and that makes all the difference. Even a Tidus-level voice actor can sound competent if he has decent lines to read. It does feel like Sega actually had all 3 voice actors in the room at the same time when doing the line-readings, since it feels much more natural than your usual stilted JRPG English localized dialogue. What's really impressive is when you throw Nolan North into the mix, he singlehandedly elevates the usual perfunctory RPG combat banter of The Heroic Trio from ordinary to Godlike.

"Damn, if that was wrong, I don't wanna be right!"
"I think that qualifies as 'Mad Skillz!'"
"Next time, know who you're messing with!"
"Whenever I see an enemy, all I see is a big wad of cash. That can't be good."
"If you die on me now, I swear I'm gonna kill you!"
"Hey! You're still on the clock!"
"Did you forget to reload, Leanne?"
"Damn, how many turns did it take you to through all those, Zephyr?"

Some of the conversations they have are great too:

Zephyr: "I'm getting real tired of the friendly fire."
Leanne: "Look, I've got the hang of it, okay?"
Vash: "The jury's still out on that one."

Zephyr: "Did I just see a smile on your face?"
Leanne: "I- I...was smiling?"
Zephyr: "Yeah, it looked like you were enjoying it."
Vash: "Well, what do you know. Our little Leanne has a sadistic side!"

Leanne: "Do you want me on offense or defense?"
Vash: "Leanne goes both ways. That's good to know."
Zephyr: "Save it, willya?"

Unknown Soldier said:
"Damn, if that was wrong, I don't wanna be right!"
"I think that qualifies as 'Mad Skillz!'"
"Next time, know who you're messing with!"
"Whenever I see an enemy, all I see is a big wad of cash. That can't be good."
"If you die on me now, I swear I'm gonna kill you!"
"Hey! You're still on the clock!"
"Did you forget to reload, Leanne?"
"Damn, how many turns did it take you to through all those, Zephyr?"

Some of the conversations they have are great too:

Zephyr: "I'm getting real tired of the friendly fire."
Leanne: "Look, I've got the hang of it, okay?"
Vash: "The jury's still out on that one."

Zephyr: "Did I just see a smile on your face?"
Leanne: "I- I...was smiling?"
Zephyr: "Yeah, it looked like you were enjoying it."
Vash: "Well, what do you know. Our little Leanne has a sadistic side!
"

Leanne: "Do you want me on offense or defense?"
Vash: "Leanne goes both ways. That's good to know."
Zephyr: "Save it, willya?"

They really did hit the lines good. I think Zephyr is my favorite though he sounds so familiar, I never did look to see what his voice actor did in other media.

JKTrix

Zephyr's actor is Scott Menville, who did Lloyd in Tales of Symphonia and tons of other more recent stuff.

Nolan North plays Vashyron, and I think this is my favourite role of his. I'm usually one of those 'Play in Japanese if I have the option' people, but these guys make it worth it to stay in English.

Top Bottom