• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

@Plywood

Now you've overcome one of the worst difficulty spikes in the game. It'll be smooth sailing for the next 15 to 20 hours, I'd guess.

@hydrophilic attack

And that's where the next difficulty spike comes. :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
slaughterking said:
@Plywood

Now you've overcome one of the worst difficulty spikes in the game. It'll be smooth sailing for the next 15 to 20 hours, I'd guess.
Sweet, I will revel in the glory. It probably helped that my guns are stacked with the best stuff I can get from the tinkering and my peeps were level 24/25. :lol

Still didn't stop rocket douches from ignoring me and attacking the statue, though...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't have a clue to what is going on in the story. I haven't really been paying attention.
That guy tried killing Zephyr and then Leanne just saved him after the boss battle.
Is there anything I can read that will clear things up?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
sazabirules said:
I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't have a clue to what is going on in the story. I haven't really been paying attention.
That guy tried killing Zephyr and then Leanne just saved him after the boss battle.

Trust me, you're not. The story isn't very well presented imo.

As for an explanation, I remember reading a post in this very thread (couple months back) that kinda cleared some things up.

jcm

sazabirules said:

I just finished the game, and I found the story by turns baffling and batshit insane. I had to read the plot overview at wiki. That said, I loved the game.

I hate to do these kinds of bumps but I just posted my review.

It's one of those reviews that I could only write with four hours of sleep in two days under my belt.

Oh and if you're like me and hate reading reviews I'll cut it short:
-Battle-system is of course...awesome
-Story is of course...blows
-I like things.

9/10

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it funny that the Tales fanboys are hating it solely for the story... making their game/s automatically better.

Man, I love this game and its guns akimbo - this is essentially an RPG game of raw gameplay. And I love how grenades are tossed around.

Ookami-kun said:
I find it funny that the Tales fanboys are hating it solely for the story... making their game/s automatically better.

Man, I love this game and its guns akimbo - this is essentially an RPG game of raw gameplay. And I love how grenades are tossed around.

Much like my sentai I likes my narratives/plots rooted in some realism.

For folks that platinumed this or 1000ed? How difficult was it? It doesn't appear to be difficult just a matter of time consumption.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Urban Scholar said:
Much like my sentai I likes my narratives/plots rooted in some realism.

For folks that platinumed this or 1000ed? How difficult was it? It doesn't appear to be difficult just a matter of time consumption.

It's not difficult at all, although fighting through the Arena is a total grind. Took me about 70 hours or so to platinum.

MjFrancis

It's only difficult until you understand the battle system; so after a good 10-20 hours, you're set and it's all a matter of time invested to get 1000G on this. The initial curve is discouraging to many, but it becomes extremely manageable.

djtiesto said:
It's not difficult at all, although fighting through the Arena is a total grind. Took me about 70 hours or so to platinum.

MjFrancis said:
It's only difficult until you understand the battle system; so after a good 10-20 hours, you're set and it's all a matter of time invested to get 1000G on this. The initial curve is discouraging to many, but it becomes extremely manageable.

I have the system down, I just haven't played in ages(chapter 4?) but it's reassuring to know it doesn't take much to get it done.

I love this game but good lord is it difficult. Just recently started a new game and I keep getting crushed at the first "boss." Ha, I had beat him when it first came out, not sure what I'm doing wrong this time.

I'm keeping at it though, mainly because I love the backgrounds and the music in the game.

Boss Doggie

When will I get additional pistols, machineguns, grenade boxes, magazine cases, and item boxes? Also, what is the best weapon/item combo for each?

Aaron

Ookami-kun said:
When will I get additional pistols, machineguns, grenade boxes, magazine cases, and item boxes? Also, what is the best weapon/item combo for each?
You get extra pistols and machineguns if you explore dungeons and work on the arena. Only one of the other stuff... but you don't really need more. I barely used the magazine case and I beat the game.

Netto-kun

I beated the boss in chapter 8, but forgot to save the game before I entered the battle against 3 Mad Goliath (I was rather unprepared for that battle and couldn't win at all). God damn me!

Laughing Banana said:
Is there a new game plus in this game? If yes, then what are the things retained between each playthrough?
Taken from one of the guides on GameFAQs (spoiler just in case).

Normal Difficulty Setting

* All levels and weapon skills
* All bezels
* All hunter rank points
* All rubies
* All tools (grenades, ammunition and healing items)
* The two black Energy Hexes and all white Energy Hexes
* All weapons, custom parts and accessories
* All clothing including special costumes
* Bestiary information
* Valuables: Core Lift 1 Pass, Panda Set, Piggy Set and Reindeer Set
* Arena Ranks (although these have to be unlocked again as you proceed)
* Game records (found at the arena)

Anything other than Normal Difficulty
* Black energy hexes (so you can access Neverland)
* The 'Hi-Pod' accessory
* All clothing items including special costumes
* Valuables: Core Lift 1 Pass, Panda Set, Piggy Set and Reindeer Set
* Bestiary entries

Ravidrath

Just beat the game...!

90 hours, which includes Stars on all 50 Arena Ranks, Neverland and a completely restored Basel - only thing left between me and Platinum is a quick New Game +!

Such a weird and interesting game. I didn't play it continuously, which didn't help with following the story, but I'm going to do my second playthrough in English to see if it clears things up a bit.

Ravidrath said:
Just beat the game...!

90 hours, which includes Stars on all 50 Arena Ranks, Neverland and a completely restored Basel - only thing left between me and Platinum is a quick New Game +!

Such a weird and interesting game. I didn't play it continuously, which didn't help with following the story, but I'm going to do my second playthrough in English to see if it clears things up a bit.
I played it in English first. Didn't really get it either. 2nd playthrough in Japanese with English subtitles. It made slightly more sense and I understand the plot. Maybe it was the 2nd playthrough.

Ravidrath

zerokoolpsx said:
I played it in English first. Didn't really get it either. 2nd playthrough in Japanese with English subtitles. It made slightly more sense and I understand the plot. Maybe it was the 2nd playthrough.

Heh, didn't think it would help all that much.

The game's "disjointed vignettes" style of storytelling seems to be designed to leave things as ambiguous as possible, and it doesn't help that most of them are character filler scenarios, either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Replaying this game from the very beginning... Last time I stopped at Chapter 7 due to boredom/other games/whatevs.

And for some reason, now I am horribly addicted to this. Can't stop thinking about it, even at work, hahah.

My characters are around level 48-50 and I'm currently in Chapter 7. I spent waayyy to much time at the Arena (I find it oddly addicting while most people find it boring.)

My most memorable battle so far is Chapter 6 boss where yesterday it only took 2 hero actions from Zephyr and Vashyron to kill the boss--I laughed my ass off because of that...

Can't wait to play it again tonight........

Sigh, i love the puzzle like customization, but its so frustrating to have so many awesome parts locked away by a rare piece that requires grinding or the scrapping of a valuable item.

Fuck poison in this game. Those evil poison welders are nightmares.

Its weird how i can go from kicking even bosses asses with my constant jumping john woo kickassary then suddenly find myself in crit condition. Even 28 hours in, i find myself freaking out at times. Bazels are so precious now.

I feel like i was discouraged early on to never use the walking around and aiming because of getting hit by enemies i wasnt looking at, slower charge, rotating enimes that fuck up the body part i was aiming at etc, so when i'm stuck using it at one bezel charge or crit condition, i feel completely helpless for myself.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gamer @ Heart said:
Sigh, i love the puzzle like customization, but its so frustrating to have so many awesome parts locked away by a rare piece that requires grinding or the scrapping of a valuable item.

Its weird how i can go from kicking even bosses asses with my constant jumping john woo kickassary then suddenly find myself in crit condition. Even 28 hours in, i find myself freaking out at times. Bazels are so precious now.

I feel like i was discouraged early on to never use the walking around and aiming because of getting hit by enemies i wasnt looking at, slower charge, rotating enimes that fuck up the body part i was aiming at etc, so when i'm stuck using it at one bezel charge or crit condition, i feel completely helpless for myself.

What chapter are you on right now? So far I'm at the beginning of chapter 7 and everything is quite smooth sailing... wonder on what chapter I'm going to meet a difficulty spike... Hm.

Ravidrath

Gamer @ Heart said:

Yeah, RoF is like the only game where poison is actually, like... deadly. Pretty much the only time in the game I thought about carrying items with me.

Laughing Banana said:
What chapter are you on right now? So far I'm at the beginning of chapter 7 and everything is quite smooth sailing... wonder on what chapter I'm going to meet a difficulty spike... Hm.

I think it spikes pretty sharply around Chapter 11/12?

If you are spending time in the arena, though, it probably won't be too pronounced for you. While the arena is a bit boring, if you take it a bit at a time and boost the exp. it, it's invaluable... Once you get into the 100s range, you'll be ready for Neverland.

Darackutny

Someone needs to post some sort of story analysis.

I just finished it today and a lot of it didn't make much sense to me.

Here is what I got out of it in a nutshell:

The world inside Basel is a world of science in which everyone has a quartz stone that symbolizes how long they live for. This is clear when Pater's stone shatters and he falls dead. However, you do find him in Neverland, which also doesn't really make much sense. It implies that even though your quartz gets broken, you can still live in another "form"? Sullivan lives as well after he gets killed by Rowen, then lives again after you kill him. At the end of the game, we witness a "miracle" where in which Rowen survives a bullet by Zephyr. Then, Sullivan's little monster girl destroys Leanne's quartz, which was supposed to be her quartz... I think. But even she survives that when she leaves Basel with the rest of the crew at the end.

Wat?

Don't get me wrong, I love analysing stories. However, I believe you need to build a wall before you go all artsy with the graffiti.

Any thoughts?

hsukardi

So after the dust has cleared, is this game worth buying and playing through?

My favorite RPGs are FFT, Persona, FFIX, FFX, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter..

I'm dead hungry for a JRPG and I want to know whether I should burn through this or FFXIII.

Finaika

hsukardi said:

I'm dead hungry for a JRPG and I want to know whether I should burn through this or FFXIII.
Its only the best JRPG this generation.

jcm

hsukardi said:

Yes, it's absolutely worth playing.

Boss Doggie

Much better than those two, at least because of the system trying to be creative in essence.

I just customized my first quick charge machinegun. How satisfying <3

Ookami-kun said:
Much better than those two, at least because of the system trying to be creative in essence...

that's what i liked as well - the very unique combination of rpg & srpg mechanics (not to mention clever additions like the hex mapping system). rof's truly a one of a kind experience, & the bizarre, sardonic sense of humor tops it all off nicely...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
hsukardi said:

Oh god there's no question, this game is so much better than FF13 it's not even funny.

hsukardi

What really sells me on an RPG is the character/plot though.
All RPGs can have great addictive system mechanics.. but if they're only that, it's nothing then just a time-sink simulator.

Does Reasonance of Fate deliver on the character/plot side?

Lime

hsukardi said:
What really sells me on an RPG is the character/plot though.
All RPGs can have great addictive system mechanics.. but if they're only that, it's nothing then just a time-sink simulator.

Does Reasonance of Fate deliver on the character/plot side?

No.

A lot of non-explained gaps in the story. I don't know what you consider to be "good", but the plot of RoF/EoE isn't very good. The 3 main characters are likeable though.

Boss Doggie

Eh, I'd rather have "not-good but at least trying" plots like in SO3, VP2 and RoF as opposed to animu plot crap.

Durante

I'm happy to see this thread on the first page again, I recently started playing RoF and really like it. Would probably have made my top 10 last year had I played it in time.

The battle system is fantastic. Any game that allows my ~lvl 13 party to take out a level 48 enemy by correctly applying a specific strategy designed for that encounter gets a huge + in my book. The battle system also shows again that having significant unit placement and terrain is just infinitely superior in terms of tactical options and turn-to-turn variety than anything you can do in battles without positioning.

There are also quite a few other really nice things about the game, including the world map mechanics (I really enjoy activating hexes and using the terminals), the weapon customization system (as awesome as it is silly), and seemingly small features like the dress-up possibilities.

The story isn't too exciting (or intelligible) so far, but even though most of it consists of anime tropes I find the character interaction enjoyable.

Visuals are a mixed bag, many of the environments are samey (likely a budget issue) and suffer from next-gen brown and an overload of high frequency detail, but the game can look quite beautiful at times:

2011-01-18_22-55-12ctxm.jpg

Yaweee

I'm only in Chapter 5, but I really enjoy the game so far, but I'll have to agree with most of what is said so far:

Gameplay = fantastic
Customization = great
World Design = great
Characters = good
Overall plot = mostly bad episodic stuff, but at least the scenes involving the annoying clients are short.

But don't let the plot get in the way of your enjoyment. The game is like a 95% gameplay, 5% cutscene mix, and perhaps even more lop-sided than that.

I'm also really enjoying the ability to go to tougher areas early on, or to fight the hard "Red" encounters scattered across the map.

Also, Sakuraba has surprised me with the music. The Overworld themes (one for each "block" of floors, and different between day/night) is far different than anything he has done in the past, and each Floor has its own battle theme with a "calm" version when you're not actually engaged in combat, and a "battle" version when you're in the midst of attacks. Really good stuff.

hsukardi said:
D: I'm so torn on this.
Well, it's kinda difficult to recommend any videogame if you're just looking for a good plot. :p At least RoF is not harassing you with its nonsensical story. There are only few cutscenes that really move the story forward and they are not particularly embarrassing, cliche or anything....they're just not very good at telling you what's even going on.
It's still enjoyable to watch the three main characters doing their thing and interact with some of the rather quaint inhabitants, though.

Durante

Yaweee said:
I'm also really enjoying the ability to go to tougher areas early on, or to fight the hard "Red" encounters scattered across the map.
Absolutely. I don't mind a FF13 or Oblivion experience from time to time, but I still vastly prefer getting to choose my own challenges.

slaughterking said:
Well, it's kinda difficult to recommend any videogame if you're just looking for a good plot. :p
I recommend Planescape: Torment :p

hsukardi said:
D: I'm so torn on this.
The characters are good. The plot is largely background noise that the main cast won't get tangled into until later in the game. It's one of those Cowboy Bebop dealies where all the heavy shit of the main cast is already behind them as the story begins. Whether the game does a good job of explaining why they left it all behind, though, seems to be debatable. I thought it was sufficient, but I love minimalism.

The battle system is a 3-person setup not unlike Dragon Quarter where field positioning is important. Obstacles can be used for cover. It's all range-based combat; so, pistols and machine guns for health and armor damage respectively. Explosives for splash damage. Organic and mechanical enemies are susceptible to different types of ammo and status effects.

RoF is tied with Vesperia as my favorite RPG this gen. I've even said as much about a year ago in this same thread.

Top Bottom