• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, so it's an indie game released on a PCB instead of a normal system? I'm not a fan of gimmickry like that. Like, I'll buy a PCB for an old game because that's how old games were distributed and that's just how that market works. A modern, indie game, though? That just comes across as pretentious and shitty.

Put it on PC or something and stop trying to act special.

Ruprit

Wait, so it's an indie game released on a PCB instead of a normal system? I'm not a fan of gimmickry like that. Like, I'll buy a PCB for an old game because that's how old games were distributed and that's just how that market works. A modern, indie game, though? That just comes across as pretentious and shitty.

It's always been an intended arcade release if I remember correctly. Like you can order a full dedicated cabinet or buy a conversion kit. Right now, I wouldn't even place them in near the same category as what NG:Dev.Team does with their Neo-Geo releases.

Danny Dudekisser

having said all that, the game does look really cool, and I could see myself buying the PCB when they open up general availability. Because I am dumb.

Ruprit

having said all that, the game does look really cool, and I could see myself buying the PCB when they open up general availability. Because I am dumb.

Ditto. MVS has been my gateway into arcade pcbs and I'll probably get a supergun before the year's end. Even though I know how temperamental arcade hardware can be, I still want to jump in.

grendelrt

Its not on a PCB, Airframe is the arcade hardware, think MVS or Naomi, the game itself is on a USB drive that plugs into Airframe. You arent buying just the game right now, you are buying the hardware for all future releases and Skycurser with it. I think there are 2 other games already in production for the Airframe hardware.

Danny Dudekisser

Its not on a PCB, Airframe is the arcade hardware, think MVS or Naomi, the game itself is on a USB drive that plugs into Airframe. You arent buying just the game right now, you are buying the hardware for all future releases and Skycurser with it. I think there are 2 other games already in production for the Airframe hardware.

That's still not super convincing, in terms of an actual value prop... but again, despite my protest, I could end up buying it.

grendelrt

That's still not super convincing, in terms of an actual value prop... but again, despite my protest, I could end up buying it.

For arcade hardware its about right historically. MVS carts were around 400-500 each near the end of their run (NGDEV still are ~500 now), Cave shooters 600+ each PCB, etc. I am just hoping there is some good support for the hardware in the future :) Superguns are awesome and open up a world of possibilities for the home, but prepared for the wallet rape haha.

bodine1231

Driving back from my 10 hour PVM pick up. Here's a sneak peek

12FAmkWl.jpg

Driving back from my 10 hour PVM pick up. Here's a sneak peek

http://imgur.com/12FAmkW

holy shit. those look pristine.

i bought a 20L5 for $700 last week and it ended up having major issues in the bottom left corner, with a red solid screen the corner gets all discolored.. gotta take it back to the guy now and get my money back hopefully. what a bummer.

Also I just got my RGB modded N64 back from Voultar, shoutout to him. Works like a charm. Love playing that thing on a PVM. Next mission is to get a Toro for my Dreamcast.

bodine1231

Finally got back home,took almost 15hrs round trip and about 800 miles. I drive for a living so it wasn't anything I'm not used to. I've still got everything in the rental van,gonna unload it all tomorrow before work and post some better pics.

I think I ended up with nine 14", two 17" and three 20",not sure though. A couple of the 14" PVMs have some burn in from the TV station so they just gave them to me,same with one of the 20" PVM's,it needs a cap kit but otherwise works fine and told me I could have that one for free. Everything else was shown to me running with color bars and they looked ok,wont know anything till I hook them up to a console but at $25 each I wasn't complaining.

The second pickup was from an editing house and those are very clean looking. Didn't get to turn them on but the guy told me they ran great before they went into the closet at the studio. Same deal,$25 each for the 14" and $75 each for the 17" JVC's. Which is insane because they sell for $700+ on eBay. They can do all resolutions much like the 20L5. I'm probably gonna keep one of the JVC's and just sell everything else. I've already got 2 good PVM's and a BVM so this was just a good opportunity to make some extra cash and save some great monitors from destruction. (AES and NeoSD here I come!)

Rirse

Neo Member
Man you have all this amazing luck finding them and i still not even seen one in person. And I doubt Indiana will have too many.

Yeah bodine I want to get an AES soon myself with a NeoSD... something tells me the Neo Geo consoles are going to go up in price soon thanks to the NeoSD.

bodine1231

Man you have all this amazing luck finding them and i still not even seen one in person. And I doubt Indiana will have too many.

It's not luck. I spent alot of time emailing EVERYONE who I thought might have some. I probably emailed 150 places and found only 5 that still had them. Maybe 10 said they had close to twenty PVM's that they threw away in the last year/6 months. This is probably the last year to catch any before they get tossed!

Anyways, I just unloaded everything and I'm about to head to work. Here's a quick shot of all the monitors. Two of the small PVM's have burn in and the 20" with the note needs a cap kit,but they were free so whatevs!

Y1aUx6Yh.jpg

To think that all this tech once upon a time retailed for thousands and now was picked up for a fraction. Glad to see that deals can still be found. Great haul.

Guy has a fucking marshal amp stack of pvms. You better hook everyone of those up and daisy chain like a mother fucker.

I second this!

Rirse

Neo Member
He going to be like the Architect from The Matrix, but with PMV running every classic game in his all white office.

Gyrian

Guys, I'm going to visit bodine tomorrow. If any of you is a DFW local wanting one of his monitors, let us know as I might be able to bring it back with me on your behalf.

bodine1231

Guys, I'm going to visit bodine tomorrow. If any of you is a DFW local wanting one of his monitors, let us know as I might be able to bring it back with me on your behalf.

I've got

PVM2030
PVM 20M4U
PVM 20M2U
PVM 14L2
PVM 14L1
JVC DT-V1710CG

Multiples of each. Pm me for prices and if you want Gyruan to pick one up

If you need input cards for JVC/Panasonic pro monitors, keep an eye on Ebay.

This morning I snagged a new JVC IF-C01COMG input card for my 17" DT-V1710CGU monitor that doesn't have one (I have two monitors, but only one component/RGB input card).

It was $330 shipped, so not cheap, but worth it to me to have two functioning RGB/component pro monitors of this quality (it's 240p/480i/480p/720p and even does 1080p/24 for film editing). My total cost for ending up having two functioning monitors was less than $700. One has less than 100 hours of use on it.

That's been on their site forever.

Considering it took them about 4 years to get a cable to market, longer for general availability, don't hold your breath waiting for it.

bodine1231

If you need input cards for JVC/Panasonic pro monitors, keep an eye on Ebay.

This morning I snagged a new JVC IF-C01COMG input card for my 17" DT-V1710CGU monitor that doesn't have one (I have two monitors, but only one component/RGB input card).

It was $330 shipped, so not cheap, but worth it to me to have two functioning RGB/component pro monitors of this quality (it's 240p/480i/480p/720p and even does 1080p/24 for film editing). My total cost for ending up having two functioning monitors was less than $700. One has less than 100 hours of use on it.

Yeah I saw that. Luckily both of these have RGB inputs

Watched it on the treadmill today! Love Video Game soundtracks, but wasn't too jazzed on this episode of MLiG. A lot of it just felt like Try showing off his collection. I quite enjoyed the bits about VGM on vinyl and early North American releases (DKC, FF3, etc...).

Listen to Parish's breakdowns of new soundtracks on Retronauts. He's really good. Very solid reviews and vivid writing.

Watched it on the treadmill today! Love Video Game soundtracks, but wasn't too jazzed on this episode of MLiG. A lot of it just felt like Try showing off his collection. I quite enjoyed the bits about VGM on vinyl and early North American releases (DKC, FF3, etc...).
Yeah it's ground that is already being covered quite well by Retronauts.

And yeah, I also think that Saturn video was just a bit overdone for them to basically say "yeah, this works with RGB straight out the box, all models are fine, get cables from retro_console_accessories or Retrogaming Cables UK, Saturn is cool y'all"

Wow I enjoyed the exact opposite.

I wish they'd do more non-RGB videos. Like the Saturn one was pretty stupid. Hook up a cable. Somehow that became 30 mins long. A 30 min retrospective of the Saturn done with their style would be a lot more interesting.

Rirse

Neo Member
I did like the soundtrack one for MLiG, through if it was a just bit of 'I own this and this". I tried to get into soundtracks back in 2003 but got burned on bootlegs and just lost interest in it entirely.

Only thing I am surprise that MLiG hasn't done a PC Engine/T16 episode yet.

bodine1231

Holy shit this JVC monitor might be better than any PVM I've used so far! The build quality on this thing is ridiculous. It has a removable bezel for 4:3 and widescreen,all resolutions look AMAZING and the best part is that its semi flat,not curved like the PVM's. Which means its AWESOME for Tate! It's so freaking versatile! Only thing that sucks is that one of the two has some light scratches in the middle of the screen.

Kinda annoying but given the price I'll deal (who am I kidding that ones going to eBay).

ZHerJ0yl.jpg

mQOOA24l.jpg

9e61X18l.jpg

bYICZ6dl.jpg

LDMe7GEl.jpg

MSK9nmil.jpg

Holy shit this JVC monitor might be better than any PVM I've used so far! The build quality on this thing is ridiculous. It has a removable bezel for 4:3 and widescreen,all resolutions look AMAZING and the best part is that its semi flat,not curved like the PVM's. Which means its AWESOME for Tate! It's so freaking versatile! Only thing that sucks is that one of the two has some light scratches in the middle of the screen.

Kinda annoying but given the price I'll deal (who am I kidding that ones going to eBay).

I have a JVC, but it's a different model. Mine is great, though. It has 750 TVL - which is really good, right? Your post here is making me once again think about getting a Wii for it...

Bodine, welcome to the world of the JVC. They are insanely sharp and detailed due to the aperture grille, tight focus, and high def capability. They are amazing...so amazing I considered trying to defocus one to get a slightly more authentic retro look. Even in 480p the rasters don't touch resulting in "scan lines".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom