• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

hmmm.....

welp. that thing about the GCVideo having the plug issue kinda ruined it for me. not gonna risk killing my GC, moreso since i have component cables so it's not worth it to risk it.

i guess i'll keep waiting. no hurry to use the GC tho.

also, sucks about the situation with BadAss consoles. i really wanted him to get up to the GCVideo for Wii version of the mod since the Wii really needed a way to bypass the crappy DAC inside it.

i recently got this super famicom with a cheap chinese adapter so it works in europe,
i got a rgb cable for my famicon and i hooked it onto my B&O tv .

but somehow i get a lot of noise in the picture,
Esp on the black. It looks like snow,

Anyone know why the hell it looks so bad with an rgb cable ?

In casi you didn't know, the power adapter of the mega drive 1 PAL works like a charm with the Super Famicom ;)

Peltz

So what is it like playing PSP games in 480i? I'm thinking of grabbing a PSP 3000 + component cables to output to my PVM.

I haven't really played many PSP games other than a few on my Vita so most of the library will be fairly new to me. I'm really interested in playing Atlus's library in particular.

I assumed there's a border?

Has anyone knowledgable been able to get their hands on it? Not being nasty or anything but I wouldn't go to MJR for AV information having seen his setup videos.

My thought as well. I love MJR for his knowledge on games themselves, and he seems like the kind of guy who'd be a blast to hang out with, but he's not the most technical person in the world.

Peltz

also, sucks about the situation with BadAss consoles. i really wanted him to get up to the GCVideo for Wii version of the mod since the Wii really needed a way to bypass the crappy DAC inside it.

You know what's interesting? I genuinely don't understand all the complaints about the Wii's Component output. I have one of the red limited edition Wii's and it has output on par with my GCN's. I have a feeling that earlier Wii systems had crappier output.

You know what's interesting? I genuinely don't understand all the complaints about the Wii's Component output. I have one of the red limited edition Wii's and it has output on par with my GCN's. I have a feeling that earlier Wii systems had crappier output.

Most people: using Wii on an HDTV with a crappy scaler think it's the Wii that looks bad.

Some people: nit picking over very small differences.

The wii's output is fine, but it's definitely apparent that it's soft when you push it through a nice scaler. Nothing completely terrible, but I notice it when playing sometimes.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In casi you didn't know, the power adapter of the mega drive 1 PAL works like a charm with the Super Famicom ;)

cool i only got a megadrive 2 model tho.
anyway i already ordered an og sfc adapter.

i really hope this will fix it.
it's annoying as hell when the image is not the best quality

Early Wiis do have worse output quality. Not huge, but it is noticeable.

I've always had a launch Wii and was used to it, but about a year ago I was given a later model one without GCN support, and was surprised at how clean it looked over component. It's not like night and day different, but it was enough for me to notice without knowing about it.

bodine1231

Ok this is a little over the top. I just got an email from one of the tv stations I emailed about PVMs and they have some...12 of them. However they are Ikegami Tm20-17R's and not Sonys. I'll also have to pick up all of them at once along with 20 of their computer CRTs and a $150 fee. He can't gaurentee that they work but they've been sitting their warehouse since they upgraded. Might have bit off a little more than I can chew with this one.

Waiting to hear back from another tv station too that has 2 Sony 20" and an Ikegami 20" and "several" 14" as well. Hoping for BVMs on that one.

The most heartbreaking email today was a studio that said I was 6 months too late on 20 PVM20l5's. "Yeah I would have just given them too you" he said. They got donated to a local school.

Ok this is a little over the top. I just got an email from one of the tv stations I emailed about PVMs and they have some...12 of them. However they are Ikegami Tm20-17R's and not Sonys. I'll also have to pick up all of them at once along with 20 of their computer CRTs and a $150 fee. He can't gaurentee that they work but they've been sitting their warehouse since they upgraded. Might have bit off a little more than I can chew with this one.

Waiting to hear back from another tv station too that has 2 Sony 20" and an Ikegami 20" and "several" 14" as well. Hoping for BVMs on that one.

Good luck on your quest!

So what is it like playing PSP games in 480i? I'm thinking of grabbing a PSP 3000 + component cables to output to my PVM.

I haven't really played many PSP games other than a few on my Vita so most of the library will be fairly new to me. I'm really interested in playing Atlus's library in particular.

I assumed there's a border?

Check out MyLifeInGaming's Playstation RGB video they actually touch on the PSP in the middle of it (with the focus on PS games on the PSP, but they do touch on some PSP stuff in it).

I can't say personally since I don't have a PSP2/3000 or Go. I really want to get one, but I haven't found one at a price point I'm willing to pay.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I haven't done a serious test of it, but I bought one of the red Wiis as well, and I also thought it had better video quality than my launch unit.

Peltz

Check out MyLifeInGaming's Playstation RGB video they actually touch on the PSP in the middle of it (with the focus on PS games on the PSP, but they do touch on some PSP stuff in it).

I can't say personally since I don't have a PSP2/3000 or Go. I really want to get one, but I haven't found one at a price point I'm willing to pay.
Thanks

The most heartbreaking email today was a studio that said I was 6 months too late on 20 PVM20l5's. "Yeah I would have just given them too you" he said. They got donated to a local school.

Those kids don't give a fuck about crts. You know what to do

Sorry if this has been answered previously in this thread, but should I be wary of anything when using a Framemeister on a 4KHDR TV?

I got a 4KHDR TV today :) Framemeister worked without a hitch, i just had to tweak the scanline settings a bit since I moved from 32" to 43" while sitting the same distance and they looked a little dull and soft with my old settings. This is outputting at 720p (since FM butchers scanlines at 1080p) with the tv scaling to 4k. I haven't bothered with trying to use the FMs zoom instead but that might be better if you have the patience!

As is, it looks at least as good as before and this new set seems to be quicker when the FM picks up a resolution change (like on Saturn games), Plus, no noticeable lag in game mode either, so i'm very pleased with the TV! (Toshiba z700x).

You just emailed local TV stations? I never even thought about doing that. Might have to give it a shot.

Some help from the experts in here - I'm looking at getting the OSSC thing. I think it doesn't do sound - is there an elegant way of getting everything set up so I can stream retro games?

Am I being too unspecific?

grendelrt

Got this in today and man is it glorious , pure pixel art goodness. Awesome graphics and sound, can not wait to dive into it fully tonight !!!
jtvpgXL.jpg

eMrxc86.jpg

C1ACKoi.jpg

ARmB4z3.jpg

7SRQu2m.jpg

ZjgYx7B.jpg

bodine1231

Those kids don't give a fuck about crts. You know what to do

You just emailed local TV stations? I never even thought about doing that. Might have to give it a shot.

Yep,that and video editing places are your best bet. Don't be afraid to drive either. The more you expand your radius the better chance you have.

For tv stations email the GM and chief engineer. I emailed every tv station in a 300 mile radius and I heard back from every GM.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Actually, the Wii talk from earlier gives me a question -- can the OSSC stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9, and do a good job? Curious if that'd give me better results on the Wii than going directly to the TV and stretching it on there.

Some help from the experts in here - I'm looking at getting the OSSC thing. I think it doesn't do sound - is there an elegant way of getting everything set up so I can stream retro games?

Am I being too unspecific?

If you pre-order an OSSC from videogameperfection, you'll get the version that has sound out from the HDMI

Actually, the Wii talk from earlier gives me a question -- can the OSSC stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9, and do a good job? Curious if that'd give me better results on the Wii than going directly to the TV and stretching it on there.

the line tripling can output 16:9 resolution, and I think it does a fantastic job. Per the Junker HQ description:

Generic 16:9: Uses full horizontal sample rate without pixel multiplication, resulting to fully utilized 1280x720/864 output (16:9 aspect). Useful if connected to a CRT via DVI->VGA converter.

Saw some Disney mickey TV on kijiji for $20 and nearly pulled the trigger on it. But I already own a 13.5 inch tv for watching TV on in my room so I figured there is no point getting it. It looks so damn cool though..... the speakers are ears!

For Toronto/GTA residents it might be worth going for if you want a cheap small CRT for composite/coaxial on a NES or something.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tvs/city-of...tv/1286460232?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

tv-ears-13.jpg

That's in my area. I wonder how many TVL that thing has. I bet its at least 800!

Switching it up, I beat Castlevania over composite on a PVM and while it looked pretty damn good it was enough to make me pull the trigger on a NES RGB board for my twin fami!

bodine1231

Got the details from one of the TV stations just now,I'll be picking these up for $200 on Thursday! Its about a 2 hour drive but who cares,lol.

20”
Sony PVM20M4U

14”
Sony PVM14N2U
Sony PVM14M2U
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L1
Sony WVCK1420 (no clue what this is)

and 2 more PVM 14L2 with a little burn in for free

Got the details from one of the TV stations just now,I'll be picking these up for $200 on Thursday! Its about a 2 hour drive but who cares,lol.

20”
Sony PVM20M4U

14”
Sony PVM14N2U
Sony PVM14M2U
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L1

Awesome! Post pics when you get 'em!

bodine1231

Thursday is shaping up to be the most epic fucking PVM pickup in history.

Since I was driving 2 1/2hrs and out of state I decided to expand my email bombardment further. I just heard back from a company that has a few that they'll sell! They are asking $50 for each 20" and $25 for each 14"! What sucks is now I'll have to rent a van from Enterprise to fit them all and its an extra 5hr drive to the second pickup. Gonna be a long day.

So from the TV station I'm picking these up. $50 for 20" and $25 for 14"

20”
Sony PVM20M4U

14”
Sony PVM14N2U
Sony PVM14M2U
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L1

and from the second place I'm picking these up (so far,he says he may have more),same deal $50 for 20" and $25 for 14".

PVM14M4U
PVM14L2
PVM14L2
PVM20M4U
JVC DT-V1710CG
JVC DT-V1710CG

The 14" go for about $200 on ebay and are easy to ship so if I can sell 3 I break even! I got one person who may trade me a BVM 20F1U for one of the JVC's so that would be amazing because I have no need for two of them.

bobble

Dang! Which part of the country are you driving through? Maybe trade a CRT to a friendly gaffer for a place to crash for a night?!

God damn man. I am reaching jelly overload here. Gonna have to avoid this thread for a while. My area has been wiped clean for a while and everyone is hip to PVM/BVM pricing.

20"
Sony PVM20M4U

14"
Sony PVM14N2U
Sony PVM14M2U
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L2
Sony PVM14L1

Oh man I dream to own a small 14 inch or smaller PVM one day

grendelrt

What is this?

Yeah, what is this???? You've given no explanation and I've never seen anything like it mentioned here before.
Sorry lol. It's Skycurser, new indie Shmup arcade game. It has jamma and hdmi out on the board. If you have a supergun you could hook it up for home play or plug in play in any arcade cabinet with jamma. Thought you guys would be interested since it is built with 90s sprite work, very authentic. I played a couple hours last night and loved it. The airframe portion is the hardware where they plan to do more releases, has built in wifi for game updates and global leaderboards.

Sorry lol. It's Skycurser, new indie Shmup arcade game. It has jamma and hdmi out on the board. If you have a supergun you could hook it up for home play or plug in play in any arcade cabinet with jamma. Thought you guys would be interested since it is built with 90s sprite work, very authentic. I played a couple hours last night and loved it. The airframe portion is the hardware where they plan to do more releases, has built in wifi for game updates and global leaderboards.

Interesting. Keep us updated with impressions and new software announcements. Seems like it might even be thread worthy.

bodine1231

That's cool,I see you have it in a Blast cab. How much did the game cost? I'm dying to put a new Jamma game in my Blast City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom