• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine1231

Bodine, welcome to the world of the JVC. They are insanely sharp and detailed due to the aperture grille, tight focus, and high def capability. They are amazing...so amazing I considered trying to defocus one to get a slightly more authentic retro look. Even in 480p the rasters don't touch resulting in "scan lines".

Yeah I noticed that. Mario Galaxy looked unnaturally clear in 480p,I thought it was just the size of the monitor but it looks almost 720p lol.

jsnepo

Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone here has figured out how to make a central wireless headphone setup for modern and retro systems? I just don't want to deal with multiple setups.

I've got a CRT for SD consoles and an HDTV for last gen and modern ones. I want the audio for both to come out of a single wireless headphones, not all at once of course but something automated, not requiring me to unplug cords, etc.

To think that all this tech once upon a time retailed for thousands and now was picked up for a fraction. Glad to see that deals can still be found. Great haul.

I second this!

I felt that way years ago when I picked up my FW900 CRT monitor around 2008. At the time a 22" LCD was awfully expensive.

Got the FW900 for $200 IIRC, the things were like $2k new.

Sold it when I moved a few years ago, I miss that beast. At least it went to a good home.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn i am so happy!!
A while i posted in this thread for advise about crappy picture quality with my super famicom on b&o tv with rgb cable.

I got lots of noise esp in darker colors like snow.
I thought it was the crappy chinese power adapter so i ordered the og one from japan and hooked it up on my step down converter. 2 and half weeks to wait.

Well it looks perfect now!!.
Damn its so beautiful right now can't believe te quality you can get out of the super famicom with the right cable/tv. And ofc for me as eurotrash.. 60fps 😍😍😍

bodine1231

Do you freight ship? I may take it off your hands.

I can do motor freight. Do you have access to a dock at work? I just shipped a 20" safely so 17" should be easy. I run the shipping dept at my job and I have access to liquid foam packs for protection.

Vespa

Damn i am so happy!!
A while i posted in this thread for advise about crappy picture quality with my super famicom on b&o tv with rgb cable.

I got lots of noise esp in darker colors like snow.
I thought it was the crappy chinese power adapter so i ordered the og one from japan and hooked it up on my step down converter. 2 and half weeks to wait.

Well it looks perfect now!!.
Damn its so beautiful right now can't believe te quality you can get out of the super famicom with the right cable/tv. And ofc for me as eurotrash.. 60fps 😍😍😍

Glad it's looking better. Just to be clear it was the PSU?

bodine1231

finally Finally FINALLY got the holy grail. The BVM 20F1U is now in my possession. This might be the best built piece of kit I've ever seen. Everything is top notch and expensive feeling. The amount of adjustments you can make to every-little-thing is overwhelming. Imagine a PVM service menu x10,it's insane. It's also quite a bit longer and much heavier than any PVM I've had. It also came with a wierd ass handheld control unit for it. I've never seen that before,every video or pic of the BVM always used the stand.

hmvleaPl.jpg

gyLoHKul.jpg

ZEnqQZ1l.jpg

yRM9n5hl.jpg

yYEh3zYl.jpg

xzD94YOl.jpg

Px61bAMl.jpg

dubc35

Gameboy Retro AV:

I have a DS lite. Is a GBA SP AGS-101 a big improvement with respect to the image and input? Or would I be spending a bit for minimal improvement?

Yeah I almost got a 20F1U a couple days ago but that thing is just too long for my stand. Sticking with my 20M4U until I find a decent 20L5.

I recently got my N64 RGB-modded by Voultar, and with my SNES CSYNC SCART cable it works fine on my PVM, but my Framemeister doesn't display any image from it at all.. Anyone know why this could be? Voultar said it was wired to work with both CSYNC and Sync-On-Luma equally.

Gameboy Retro AV:

I have a DS lite. Is a GBA SP AGS-101 a big improvement with respect to the image and input? Or would I be spending a bit for minimal improvement?

The screens are very similar. Both have moderate ghosting problems and look weird off axis.

An actual GBA gives you:
  • Link cable port
  • Buttons correctly horizontal, rather than the non-remappable A=A, B=B that the DS uses
  • Cartridge doesn't stick out

Follow the guide below. It's what I used to get groovymame running on my Blast City cabs.

http://http://wavebeam.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-groovycube-diy-console-that-plays.html?m=1

You can also go cheap with a pi3,VGA666 and UMSA for RGB. This might be a better option and easier to get up and running. Scroll up for some links on how to do it.

I've done this with three separate gpus, with no problems on my 15kHz pvm. One was an nvidia laptop gpu, one a nvidia desktop gpu, and one a AMD desktop gpu. I know people have said they've had problems, but in my experience as long as the card has analog output, it will work. Most recently did it with a GTX 950. These days the analog output is through DVI rather than VGA in almost all cards. Make sure at least one DVI port is DVI-I rather than just DVI-D; you can check visually by ensuring that port has holes for the red pins at the right of this diagram. As far as I know none of the Nvidia 10XX series has analog output, but the 9XX series does.

Then you'll need a DVI to VGA adapter (tiny thing, might even come with your graphics card), and a VGA to 5 BNC connector (R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync) which costs about 10 dollars. Do not get a 4 BNC connector, as this will only have one sync signal, and you need them both. You just get a 2 to 1 bnc combiner/splitter, and put the two sync cables into it.

BNC-180-1.jpg

Now you have the 4 bnc connectors to connect to your monitor. Should be no problems at all running at 720p or 480p, though I have no first-hand experience with this. If you want to run in 240p, you might need an extra step.

If you're lucky, your graphics card will be able to create a custom resolution of 240 by whatever (it's actually good to use a huge number; I use 240x2560 but some use double that), and it will work no problem (this happened for me on my laptop gpu). However you'll probably want to use the CRU tool, and set up the custom resolution through that utility. You might have to play around with the different values for front porch, sync width, etc. until you get a picture that syncs; it can be a bit finicky.

Anyway, if you don't need to do 240p, it should be a breeze; I imagine you could even do it through intel integrated graphics (I haven't gotten this to work with 240p, but it should handle standard resolutions just fine).

Ideally, an HD4000 series GPU and CRT Emudriver. There are VGA to BNC cables, but you have to make sure it carries HSync and VSync.

Thanks for all these recommendations guys. Bodine do you have another link to that guide?

I guess I'll turn my pc building questions for this emulator/ retro PC machine to the PC building thread.

dubc35

Similar screen. No GB/GBC games on the DS though.

The screens are very similar. Both have moderate ghosting problems and look weird off axis.

An actual GBA gives you:
  • Link cable port
  • Buttons correctly horizontal, rather than the non-remappable A=A, B=B that the DS uses
  • Cartridge doesn't stick out
Thanks! It may not be worth it then unless I come across a good deal. I had a GBA SP back in the day and recall it being better ergonomically for me than the DS, however I might be mis-remembering as that was 15+ years ago.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't have one but I'd rather put a better screen in the original GBA. I loved the GBA SP when it came out because of the clam shell design but the original GBA is more comfortable to hold and play.

dubc35

I don't have one but I'd rather put a better screen in the original GBA. I loved the GBA SP when it came out because of the clam shell design but the original GBA is more comfortable to hold and play.
I've see a few of those on gaf. They do like nice! I've never played on an og gameboy advance.

Does anyone know if the gray guncon with the yellow RCA plug will work on a PS2 slim? I'm thinking not, but I could be wrong.

Yeah it works. I played Elemental Gearbolt on mine.

You'll need a composite breakout dongle for the lightgun to work, but you can plug the RGB or Component cable into the A/V multi-out passthrough for best image quality.

524d05acf0801252f6d35a158952a577660da15e.jpg

eEK!

Neo Member
Yeah it works. I played Elemental Gearbolt on mine.

You'll need a composite breakout dongle for the lightgun to work, but you can plug the RGB or Component cable into the A/V multi-out passthrough for best image quality.

There's also a guncon AV adapter and retrogamingcables.co.uk sell a ps1/2 rgb scart cable that has a composite video plug for guncon's. These should all function the same, so you can just get whichever is easiest/cheapest.

Tron999

I can't believe how much these PVMs go for on ebay. I guess they are going to be out of my reach forever. They surely won't go down in price. I'd rather spend $300 on a framemeister.

bodine1231

I can't believe how much these PVMs go for on ebay. I guess they are going to be out of my reach forever. They surely won't go down in price. I'd rather spend $300 on a framemeister.

Do like me and email all video editing places and TV stations in your surrounding area. You might get lucky. I got 14 PVM's for under $500

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just wanted to drop in and repost this:

So, I'm going to clean house on my old website soon and take a lot of things down. That will probably include most of the videos and images linked in the OP.

Looking back on it, some of that info is out of date or not 100% accurate, and some video examples could be captured/demonstrated slightly better. I believe I chose to do direct video download links instead of Youtube back then because Youtube didn't yet offer 60fps playback at the time. So, a lot of the videos could probably just be moved over there now.

Let me know if there's anything in particular that you guys think should be kept, what could be trashed, and what should be changed.

Also, is Mega permed? Dude hasn't posted in 3 months.

I'm going to wipe out the rest of the linked images by the end of the month. (The videos are already gone.)

Peltz

Just 3 years ago, they were all over Craigslist practically being given away. I scored a few for under 100. Its crazy how quickly things change.

grendelrt

Just 3 years ago, they were all over Craigslist practically being given away. I scored a few for under 100. Its crazy how quickly things change.
My original haul was won on eBay at a local place for pickup, 29",21",17",8" for like 280 bucks. I fear the day when they die.

Futaleufu

With prices increasing like that, I wonder if there will be incentives for companies to start producing CRTs again.

Peltz

With prices increasing like that, I wonder if there will be incentives for companies to start producing CRTs again.

I think you overestimate the size of the market or underestimate the logistics associated with producing CRTs again. We are a very small group of enthusiasts. I doubt anyone could do it in a way that makes it viable.

dubc35

CRT's have lead in them (probably other toxic chemicals as well) which pose problems for manufacturing and recycling/disposal. The chances of a company starting to manufacture them again is incredibly low. In addition part suppliers likely have little to no inventory, tooling has probably been scrapped, and who knows if there are skilled employees to do any "hands on" work (and if they even would want to).

[edit] What happened to missile? Does he still post here? He would probably have the breakdown of it.

bodine1231

Thinking about that, you pretty much have the chance to rectify the market, at least for a good while. :D

I need to sell at least 3 or 4 of the 14" for the "going rate" to break even though. Renting a van plus gas plus what I paid for the monitors adds up (not counting the 15hr road trip and time emailing people). I'm about $700 in the hole so far. I'd cut Gafers a little deal but aside from that I need to start putting them on auction. If I can sell at least one of the JVC's that'll most likely put me in the black and I can start giving good deals here.

I don't want new crts. I want scalers and filters to continue to advance untill we get a true crt experience without all the negatives that come with a CRT!

I'd wager you're mistaken about that.

I'm almost positive small CRT televisions are still being made in Asia. Really. Not pro quality as far as I know.

Old CRTs can be fixed for like half a century at least, which is an option if they aren't burned in.

I think within a few years we'll see replacement screens for arcade monitors that do a remarkable job of simulating a CRT using OLED and/or quantum dot tech. Scaling will be built in, as will phosphor shaders, and with sub-frame latency. The arcade and barcade scene is bigger than it has been in 20 years, plus the whole home collector scene. There's a market for it, and the engineering isn't going to require anything too radical. Hobbyists will probably jump start it with open-source algorithms and designs for Pi, FPGA, etc. for the image processing.

bodine1231

CRT's won't be necessary once we get OLEDs with almost zero input delay combined with a scaler like the ossc that can generate better looking scanlines.

I'm almost positive small CRT televisions are still being made in Asia. Really. Not pro quality as far as I know.

Old CRTs can be fixed for like half a century at least, which is an option if they aren't burned in.

I think within a few years we'll see replacement screens for arcade monitors that do a remarkable job of simulating a CRT using OLED and/or quantum dot tech. Scaling will be built in, as will phosphor shaders, and with sub-frame latency. The arcade and barcade scene is bigger than it has been in 20 years, plus the whole home collector scene. There's a market for it, and the engineering isn't going to require anything too radical. Hobbyists will probably jump start it with open-source algorithms and designs for Pi, FPGA, etc. for the image processing.
Your thought process seems pretty on point. I however want to have the ability to play games within VR. Like walking up to a virtual arcade cabinet and playing Alien Vs Predator on it, or better yet a virtual living room and playing on a virtual CRT. We are further away from tech accomplishing that though.

You can actually buy crt chassis boards on sites like AliExpress new and build/fix your own crt TV or RGB monitor. I have an Arcade RGB CRT chassis board on its way so I can build a CRT monitor out of a 27" Panasonic TV I picked up from the side of the road and the board was under $60 us shipped. It's going into a cab I'm building.

Anyone in Europe willing to dismantle old crt tv's with scart inputs and ship the chassis boards to the us to transplant on crt tubes here in the states? Would be a lot cheaper than trying to ship the entire television and old CRTs are practically free.

Galdelico

I need to sell at least 3 or 4 of the 14" for the "going rate" to break even though. Renting a van plus gas plus what I paid for the monitors adds up (not counting the 15hr road trip and time emailing people). I'm about $700 in the hole so far. I'd cut Gafers a little deal but aside from that I need to start putting them on auction. If I can sell at least one of the JVC's that'll most likely put me in the black and I can start giving good deals here.

Fair enough, it's been a colossal quest. :)
As for myself - aside from living too far away to even fantasize about getting one of those monitors - I think I'd only be able to enjoy a CRT with absolutely pixel-perfect geometry and IQ, nowadays. After getting used to the OSSC for quite some time, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even deal anymore with a slightly curved corner. Of course I'm not saying that's better, but my blazing OCD would make every tiny little imperfection impossible to unsee and magnify, at this point.

Not really. 2015 OLEDs had delay of ~60 compared to the low 20's for this years models.

Yeah, I fully expect a sub-frame (16.66ms is one frame) latency consumer OLED to hit the market within two years of this fall.

Your thought process seems pretty on point. I however want to have the ability to play games within VR. Like walking up to a virtual arcade cabinet and playing Alien Vs Predator on it, or better yet a virtual living room and playing on a virtual CRT. We are further away from tech accomplishing that though.

We need 8K per eye for that kind of VR and the horsepower to render it at 120fps. Definitely a long way off.

After getting used to the OSSC for quite some time, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even deal anymore with a slightly curved corner. Of course I'm not saying that's better, but my blazing OCD would make every tiny little imperfection impossible to unsee and magnify, at this point.

I have an OSSC and a Pioneer Kuro plasma and it's very pretty but not as pretty as a CRT.

Also minor geometry distortion isn't really a big deal unless you are OCD and I'm not. My JVC CRTs are tight as heck on geometry.

Arzehn

CRT's won't be necessary once we get OLEDs with almost zero input delay combined with a scaler like the ossc that can generate better looking scanlines.

Not sure where OLED is at now but I won't accept anything more than 1 frame for retro anymore. Also, more importantly, OLED will never have the comfy factor of a CRT. It's a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom