• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine1231

Not sure where OLED is at now but I won't accept anything more than 1 frame for retro anymore. Also, more importantly, OLED will never have the comfy factor of a CRT. It's a thing.

16ms is about a frame and this years OLEDs are at 21ms,it's getting close. Your preaching to the quire about your second comment.

bodine1231

I meant a scaler that can produce better looking scanlines. Ossc is nice, but still isn't very CRT like.

Gotcha. Yeah if they could ever add finer level adjustments to the scanlines that would be great.

Want to thank Gryian for hooking me up with my retro white whale,the NEO GEO Giga powered AES! It's so cool to finally get one after all these years. My girlfriends grandparents in middle school were loaded and bought one when it first came out but I never got to play it for very long.

I'm slumming it in composite until my RGB cable gets here but it looks and plays great!

zc4Jsg7l.jpg

I think if you want more realistic scanlines, what you're really going to need is a more involved "crt filter", rather than the current scanline emulation. Dunno how it'll work out with a low lag device.

Peltz

So, GAF seems to adore Sonic Mania. I hope this ends the whole "sonic was never good" crap that was happening for a while.

Can't wait to play it this week. Going to be kicking it in the Hamptons with my Switch by the pool, ripping through loop-de-loops, gathering rings & emeralds like its 1994.

I think if you want more realistic scanlines, what you're really going to need is a more involved "crt filter", rather than the current scanline emulation. Dunno how it'll work out with a low lag device.

It can be done, and in milliseconds. Give it time.

A 4K display can simulate 320x240p (windowboxed with bars on the side) using 81 pixels to represent each original pixel. Shit's gonna be crazy. 81 pixels is enough to simulate different kinds of phosphor triads and the gap between the raster that creates the "scanline" effect.

So, GAF seems to adore Sonic Mania. I hope this ends the whole "sonic was never good" crap that was happening for a while.

That didn't stop people saying that about Crash Bandicoot when the N. Sane Trilogy sold like hotcakes. They just changed it to "nostalgia was the only reason it sold" or "what else was there that month"

dubc35

I don't own a system that Sonic Mania will be released for...and I'm ok with that. I'll buy a Switch in a year or so. I just bought a Wii for the first time so I have a ton to go through. There is zero "toxicity" in my backlog, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll get Sonic Mania on the Switch. Honestly, if it was getting a DRM-free release on PC, I'd buy it there, too... but it isn't, so I won't.

Amazon hasn't shipped my Sonic Collectors edition. It says it won't arrive until Thursday but I'll be traveling to recruit some people at my old school. This sucks.

Amazon hasn't shipped my Sonic Collectors edition. It says it won't arrive until Thursday but I'll be traveling to recruit some people at my old school. This sucks.

It seems Amazon has been fucking up LE releases for a while now, which is a shame. Was it ever available elsewhere?

Was mega the person who had Freedom Planet set up at 240p over a PVM? Would love to see shots of Sonic Mania the same way.

Peltz

It seems Amazon has been fucking up LE releases for a while now, which is a shame. Was it ever available elsewhere?

Was mega the person who had Freedom Planet set up at 240p over a PVM? Would love to see shots of Sonic Mania the same way.

Yep he was. Same with AM2R.

By the way, on a fixed pixel display in 1080p, I really think the game looks best with the CRT Soft video setting. It's not perfect, but it definitely makes the game look more authentic.

In 720p in Switch's handheld mode, I like either CRT Soft or CRT Sharp. Both look superb on that screen. I can't, however, stand the look of this game on any other setting. It just looks like a pixelated jag-fest that nothing like what games looked like back in the day.

I wish Mega weren't banned so we could get some decent comparison pictures of this game running in genuine 240p. But I may still create a thread comparing this game's scanline effects with an actual Genesis running at 240p on a few types of monitors/scalers... all with off-screen shots.

That didn't stop people saying that about Crash Bandicoot when the N. Sane Trilogy sold like hotcakes. They just changed it to "nostalgia was the only reason it sold" or "what else was there that month"

Sonic Mania isn't just a good Sonic game or nostalgia trip though. I legitimately think this game is an incredible 2D platformer and instant classic of the genre as a whole. It sort of does what Shovel Knight did regarding good/inventive level design, but honestly, this game is even more impressive. There is so much variety to the stages. The platforming feels fair and exhilarating which is how sonic should always be.

The problem with sonic mania is its 16:9 so I don't see any point in running it on a CRT. I can pipe it through my ossc easily enough but the in game filters do a fine job.

After playing a few levels while at work I'm in love! The first thing I'm doing when I get home is downloading the sound track!

It's really weird to see "in association with sega" in a sonic game!

Peltz

The problem with sonic mania is its 16:9 so I don't see any point in running it on a CRT. When the pc version drops I can pipe it through my ossc easily enough but the in game filters do a fine job.

After playing a few levels while at work I'm in love! The first thing I'm doing when I get home is downloading the sound track!

It's really weird to see "in association with sega" in a sonic game!
Some CRTs are 16:9 though.

Should I get a manual or automatic Banridge SCART selector? I'm leaning manual after seeing MLiG guys say that the automatic one can feed some minimal power back to other consoles that aren't in use. Anyone had this issue before? I'd love to get the auto but I don't want to pry it open and cut whatever that is on the PCB to correct the issue. Also, I don't mind popping up to push a button and it's one less thing to plug in...

RCA finally had their PS2 RGB cable back in stock and I just ordered one. So once I get that cord and a selector then I'm pretty well set on my A/V situation after 18 months of on-and-off purchasing and upgrading stuff.

So I read before that a lot of PS4 and XB1 games have severe lag, pushing well north of 100ms even in fighting games. I'm not sure of the exact reason for this, I know part of it is post-effects but does it affect everything on the system?

I also remember hearing that controller input and image output on PS4 have some inherent lag due to poor design.

Sonic Mania is the kind of game I'd rather play with low latency but I'm going to be getting a (sick white color) PS4 next month and uh I actually don't have that many games I want to play on it so it'd be nice to put something on there.

televator

So I read before that a lot of PS4 and XB1 games have severe lag, pushing well north of 100ms even in fighting games. I'm not sure of the exact reason for this, I know part of it is post-effects but does it affect everything on the system?

I also remember hearing that controller input and image output on PS4 have some inherent lag due to poor design.

Sonic Mania is the kind of game I'd rather play with low latency but I'm going to be getting a (sick white color) PS4 next month and uh I actually don't have that many games I want to play on it so it'd be nice to put something on there.

I don't know about any of that, but I do know that playing PS4 with the controller wired in is supposed to reduce lag.

Peltz

I've definitely played some very responsive PS4 games. I don't think it's inherent to the hardware. 100ms is unplayable in my opinion, and that is definitely not happening in games I'm playing.

Should I get a manual or automatic Banridge SCART selector? I'm leaning manual after seeing MLiG guys say that the automatic one can feed some minimal power back to other consoles that aren't in use. Anyone had this issue before? I'd love to get the auto but I don't want to pry it open and cut whatever that is on the PCB to correct the issue. Also, I don't mind popping up to push a button and it's one less thing to plug in...

RCA finally had their PS2 RGB cable back in stock and I just ordered one. So once I get that cord and a selector then I'm pretty well set on my A/V situation after 18 months of on-and-off purchasing and upgrading stuff.

Whatever is cheaper honestly.

I've definitely played some very responsive PS4 games. I don't think it's inherent to the hardware. 100ms is unplayable in my opinion, and that is definitely not happening in games I'm playing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-tekken-7-face-off

Visual differences aside, every version is still hugely playable. Even with the glaring cutbacks on Xbox One, Namco 100 per cent makes the right call by honing in on 60fps for every platform. And there is a fascinating wrinkle here - Xbox One may have a crucial input lag advantage over PS4. To be clear, for a 60fps title, it's rather high on all systems, but noted latency analyst Nigel Woodall pegs PS4 Tekken 7 input lag (tested at both 720p and 1080p output) at 120ms, while Xbox One is 104ms - one frame faster, essentially. Results can vary, but based on Nigel's video evidence, it certainly looks like an overall faster response from the Microsoft platform. PC results are to follow and should prove fascinating.

There were people claiming the XB1 version was like significantly better because of this difference but 104ms is still piss poor. And even if you account for "3-4 frames of lag inherent to Unreal Engine" as I've heard that's still like 40-50ms of delay that is coming from... ???? Plus TV lag.

I'm not so picky about lag in most games, like I mostly play RPGs and I don't really do fighting games or shooters, but in fast scrolling platformers it's super obvious. Mis-timing a jump due to lag is not fun.

Street Fighter V on PS4 had about 8 frames of input lag at launch. By season 2 it was reduced to around 6ish through patches.

On PC you can edit an .ini file to disable v-sync and that gets it down to ~4 frames, which is comparable to previous SF games.

I have the auto selector and it powers itself off after what seems like 3-5 minutes of no use. I've had no problems with power back to my consoles, nor any issue with the 5th input, which was the other complaint.

But I'll have to agree with earlier advice and say take whatever one is cheaper or more readily available.

I'm a huge skeptic with regards to input lag and its ability to render a game unplayable.

In terms of Guilty Gear, if there is an inherent 100ms (about 6 frames?), on top of the 1 frame from my TV, then things like just block, blue burst instant block, Baiken red parry, and even stuff like instant air dash, reversals, or reading/blocking a standing dust from couch block would be impossible, and they aren't, even in online play with anywhere from additional 2-5 frames of input delay. If people can pull these things off consistently, Sonic Mania being unplayable from lag I wouldn't think is a realistic concern.

Kawika

Has anyone tried the Raspberry Pi 3 to scart adapters. I know there was a few. Bob (retrorgb) was talking about a few of them on his podcast. I am getting pretty nostalgic for some arcade games but I really don't want to get all the jamma crap to get it working. I feel like some in this forum will dog me for this (even though i prefer playing on real consoles over emulators) I just can't justify the cost (and more importantly) and the space that arcade collecting could do.

Also @socksfelloff

Man dude, I am somewhat mad at you. You sent me down another rabbit hole. I am obsessed with getting your Trinitron (WEGA KV-(27/32)FV310). I found a couple other people that are swearing by it too.

Thank you for everyone pushing me over the edge for the switch version. I was holding off for pc so i could use sweetfx (never have used it but I should really try it for AM2R and this).

Street Fighter V on PS4 had about 8 frames of input lag at launch. By season 2 it was reduced to around 6ish through patches.

On PC you can edit an .ini file to disable v-sync and that gets it down to ~4 frames, which is comparable to previous SF games.

I didn't know that. Are those 6 frames on a 1ms fast refresh pc monitor or on a hdtv? If you can really get it down to 4 frames I am going to pick it up. I felt like I could never get the timing down right on PS4.

bodine1231

I use pi with vga 666 to udma scart for FBA. Works great. Not as good as the real thing but better than a wii at this point.

Has anyone tried the Raspberry Pi 3 to scart adapters. I know there was a few. Bob (retrorgb) was talking about a few of them on his podcast. I am getting pretty nostalgic for some arcade games but I really don't want to get all the jamma crap to get it working. I feel like some in this forum will dog me for this (even though i prefer playing on real consoles over emulators) I just can't justify the cost (and more importantly) and the space that arcade collecting could do.

Also @socksfelloff

Man dude, I am somewhat mad at you. You sent me down another rabbit hole. I am obsessed with getting your Trinitron (WEGA KV-(27/32)FV310). I found a couple other people that are swearing by it too.

Thank you for everyone pushing me over the edge for the switch version. I was holding off for pc so i could use sweetfx (never have used it but I should really try it for AM2R and this).

I didn't know that. Are those 6 frames on a 1ms fast refresh pc monitor or on a hdtv? If you can really get it down to 4 frames I am going to pick it up. I felt like I could never get the timing down right on PS4.

grendelrt

I ran am2r and freedom planet on PVM and Arcade Monitor. I plan on trying Sonic Mania and see if it works. Ill post pics if it does, I have 4:3 monitors though.

Also @socksfelloff

If someone on GAF isn't making you spend money we aren't doing our job! The 310 is a phenomenal TV. Did you see my blog post?

As for the RPI3 I've got that sitting as a pet project for when I get some time. I'm going to be using an hdmi-vga adapter and then converting the H and V syncs so I can play it on a crt. I feel the built in overlays/shaders do a fantastic job though it's just something I want to do for fun!

edit: A little update here re Sonic Mania. I tried using my hdmi-vga converter and then piping my switch into my OSSC. The OSSC doesnt have any scaling options for 480p other then 2x which looked terrible on my ks8000 and the scanlines @ 1080p looked terrible as well. Looks like I'll be sticking with the built in scanline filters!

TeaJay

A friend of mine recently got a PVM but he said he had a problem with it - when he starts it, the colors have a greenish hue which settles to normal after the monitor has been on for a while. Is this a sign of the electronics wearing down?

Picking up a Super Everdrive for my pal SNES to explore all those wonderful imports and rarities I wouldn't otherwise be able to play (or afford). Will something like the SuperCIC mod be all I need to do to in preparation?

I'll be playing via scart through a Framemeister.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Picking up a Super Everdrive for my pal SNES to explore all those wonderful imports and rarities I wouldn't otherwise be able to play (or afford). Will something like the SuperCIC mod be all I need to do to in preparation?

I'll be playing via scart through a Framemeister.
Yeah the sd2snes is easier tho

Yeah the sd2snes is easier tho

The price increase isn't worth it to me personally. The CD quality music is cool but a bit gimmicky and the only extra game it supports that I'd likely play is Yoshi's Island which I have a cart for.

In what way is it easier though?

grendelrt

A friend of mine recently got a PVM but he said he had a problem with it - when he starts it, the colors have a greenish hue which settles to normal after the monitor has been on for a while. Is this a sign of the electronics wearing down?
Has he tried degaussing it?

The price increase isn't worth it to me personally. The CD quality music is cool but a bit gimmicky and the only extra game it supports that I'd likely play is Yoshi's Island which I have a cart for.

In what way is it easier though?

Isn't Yoshi's Island a Super FX game? AFAIK the SD2SNES doesn't support those.

bodine1231

Could be the degaussing coil failing. He may want to invest in a manual one. If he has a power drill and some magnets he can make a homemade one that works ok.

Sorry my mistake, I was misremembering Yoshi as it was one of the few games not supported by any flash cart that I like to play (the other big one was Super Mario RPG).

It was Mega Man X2 and X3 that the SD2SNES can play that Everdrive cannot that actually appeals to me, but those games have been collected elsewhere multiple times so I can live without them being on the cart.

TeaJay

Don't do this please. Respect people's purchases. I went the Everdrive route myself due to price issues and not needing the extra features the SD2Snes offered.

You will need a modded PAL console to fully enjoy imports. Automatic region patching in the SD2SNES is already worth it if you're in PAL region you'll never have to watch those annoying "this game pak..." errors again. Or flip the switch to start up some games.

I mean, if someone asks for a recommendation, I'll give my input, and based on my own experiences, the extra features of the SD2SNES are worth it - your mileage may vary

And I will ask my friend about degaussing. Have to see if his problem persists or if the "hue" lasts longer. Then we'll know something is up.

You will need a modded PAL console to fully enjoy imports. Automatic region patching in the SD2SNES is already worth it if you're in PAL region you'll never have to watch those annoying "this game pak..." errors again. Or flip the switch to start up some games.

I was not aware if this, however I'm assuming the console would still need to be modded for it to be able to play those imports in 60Hz?

I mean, if someone asks for a recommendation, I'll give my input, and based on my own experiences, the extra features of the SD2SNES are worth it - your mileage may vary

And I will ask my friend about degaussing. Have to see if his problem persists or if the "hue" lasts longer. Then we'll know something is up.

Nono, see you are fine. You didn't do a driveby "SD2Snes is better" and run off. I'm in the US and I did my research beforehand so I was aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each.

TeaJay

I was not aware if this, however I'm assuming the console would still need to be modded for it to be able to play those imports in 60Hz?

Well yes. I'm not the expert on modding, but I used to have a modded PAL SNES. It had a chip that disabled the lockout and a 50/60 hz switch. You can't get 60hz from PAL SNES without modding.

But even still I would have to flick that switch when I wanted to play a (NTSC) game that did that region check, it would display that annoying message, and I'd have to flip the switch, start the game, and then flip back to 60hz. Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country were like this, IIRC. All this didn't matter anymore when I got the SD2SNES, and now that I have the US model 2 (SNES Mini) it's a non-issue.

But this is why I say playing imports on a PAL SNES is quite a mess even with a flashcart. It's a great looking console but for ease of use maybe a Super Famicom or a US SNES would be easier.

Vespa

@sleazefrenzy You might be interested in the SuperCIC mod for your PAL SNES, it's switchless and has an auto mode where it detects the region of the cart.

Hope the RGB mod goes smoothly, socksfelloff, looks like it's a long process! I want to do this for my AV Famicom eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom