• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
storafötter;248748200 said:
I thought I should ask here since you all are screen pixel experts.

There was something that felt a bit wrong with my Super Famicom when it comes to picture quality and upon further inspection I can see that half of the screen has this weird "noise" or "grain". It is very visible when there is a dark or white screen. The scanlines help to migitate the appearance but it kinda rubs me wrong.

I am guessing this might be a hardware problem? I admit I bought a modified SFC from ebay over a year, and using a generic power adapter that they sold in Akihabara. I got a Csync Japanese Scart cable and playing through a Framemeister.

Is there a possibility of a simple fix, or my only choice is to replace with another Super Famicom. Not really interested in buying another SFC anytime soon but I guess I have learned my lesson from buying modded consoles on ebay.

Probably the generic AC adapter. Having a quality power input is very important for some systems.

catabarez

storafötter;248749439 said:
What would be a recommended non first party alternative?

I remember mylifeingaming recommending the retrodcpowered adapter.
I wonder if that one would be good enough?

Retro DC powered should be good.

Kawika

I don't know if any of you are in the market for a 4K TV but some guy on youtube has been raving about his TCL 4K and how perfectly its working with the OSSC. The TV has < 15ms of input lag which is probably the fastest I have heard of on a consumer TV.

There is a thread about the 55 here.

But it seems the TCL and the OSSC are friends.

Edit: Okay so here is OSSC on the 55" I think I am going to sell my Sony 800D now.

so someone linked me to this thread when i asked where to buy a snes in the other thread with a funny rabbit hole image that initially scared me off... but I think really would like to purchase a SNES. I've browsed the OP, and I believe I am starting to understand the different signals and upscalers that exist, but now I'm interested in specifics...

Where is the best place to get a SNES? I see them on ebay and craigslist but they appear to be in questionable condition...

What upscaler should I get specifically? stuff like the framemeister seems awesome but I don't really wanna break the bank. just wanna be able to play on my 4k TV without it looking *too* terrible.

i have a scary feeling about this though lol. just wanna start with a proper replay of LTTP and see how it goes...

What kind of TV do you have? Depending on what you have and if you only want to do SNES, HD Retrovision component cables are a good choice.

Ebay is probably the best place online, but if you have a local shop you might get a better price and could check condition in person.

so someone linked me to this thread when i asked where to buy a snes in the other thread with a funny rabbit hole image that initially scared me off... but I think really would like to purchase a SNES. I've browsed the OP, and I believe I am starting to understand the different signals and upscalers that exist, but now I'm interested in specifics...

Where is the best place to get a SNES? I see them on ebay and craigslist but they appear to be in questionable condition...

What upscaler should I get specifically? stuff like the framemeister seems awesome but I don't really wanna break the bank. just wanna be able to play on my 4k TV without it looking *too* terrible.

i have a scary feeling about this though lol. just wanna start with a proper replay of LTTP and see how it goes...

I bought one a couple years ago from eBay. Didn't have any issues. Just be patient and wait to find one in good condition.
The vast majority of them will be yellowed pretty badly though, so unless you're really patient you'll probably end up getting a yellow one. It doesn't mean that they're in bad shape though. Early models just had improperly mixed plastic, so they changed color regardless of how they were treated.

What kind of TV do you have? Depending on what you have and if you only want to do SNES, HD Retrovision component cables are a good choice.

Ebay is probably the best place online, but if you have a local shop you might get a better price and could check condition in person.

I have the 43" sony x800d. a 4k HDR tv. I also have my desktop monitors which are asus gaming 1080p guys with good color. they are the 144hz ones. do you think the HD retrovision cables would work fine?

i will begin to monitor ebay.. maybe check some stores around me too this weekend. Thanks!

I have the 43" sony x800d. a 4k HDR tv. I also have my desktop monitors which are asus gaming 1080p guys with good color. they are the 144hz ones. do you think the HD retrovision cables would work fine?

i will begin to monitor ebay.. maybe check some stores around me too this weekend. Thanks!

I can't find anything online about the X800D but it seems like most Sony TVs do support 240p over component but they don't process it correctly (thinks it's interlaced and tries to de-interlace, which isn't great).

The cables are component cables so you'd have to have something with component input.

Kawika

I can't find anything online about the X800D but it seems like most Sony TVs do support 240p over component but they don't process it correctly (thinks it's interlaced and tries to de-interlace, which isn't great).

The cables are component cables so you'd have to have something with component input.

I have the Sony 800D and the SNES HD Retrovision cables. They don't work on the tv.

I have the Sony 800D and the SNES HD Retrovision cables. They don't work on the tv.

dang... what solution do you use?

luckily there are a handful of good retro game stores up here in the greater detroit area, so I'm definitely gonna be able to scope out the system itself. just gotta figure out how to get it on my TV

luckily there are a handful of good retro game stores up here in the greater detroit area, so I'm definitely gonna be able to scope out the system itself. just gotta figure out how to get it on my TV

If you're not into the collecting / original hardware purist and you just want to play some good ass games I would really recommend the upcoming Snes classic.

Making an old console work well on a modern display is a deep deep hole to jump into.

Peltz

Run away lol.

Honestly, I would just grab a Wii with component cables or a Wii U and build a library through the Virtual Console. It will be cheaper and look better than anything you can get out of real hardware without dropping serious cash.

Don't be a fool and try to upscale from a SNES with subpar scalers. It will cost more than a Wii and look way uglier. So many people try to do this and I question their sanity. It's just dumb especially when Wii hardware and VC are so cheap and compatible with modern displays.

Or just grab a SNES classic.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
so someone linked me to this thread when i asked where to buy a snes in the other thread with a funny rabbit hole image that initially scared me off... but I think really would like to purchase a SNES.
I wasn't joking with that rabbit hole pic. If you want to play real hardware on modern TVs it's gonna cost you a couple hundred dollars (at minimum) and that's not even mentioning the cost of the SNES you don't have or the games I'm assuming you don't have. Follow Peltz's advice and look into the Virtual Console before you know if you actually want to go down this path.

Peltz

Virtual console isn't perfect but it really is close, especially on the OG Wii side of things. No reason not to not go that route if you're looking for an economical solution.

Run away lol.

Honestly, I would just grab a Wii with component cables or a Wii U and build a library through the Virtual Console. It will be cheaper and look better than anything you can get out of real hardware without dropping serious cash.

Don't be a fool and try to upscale from a SNES with subpar scalers. It will cost more than a Wii and look way uglier. So many people try to do this and I question their sanity. It's just dumb especially when Wii hardware and VC are so cheap and compatible with modern displays.

Or just grab a SNES classic.

I can't argue with anything here. My Analogue NT Mini - RGB SNES + OSSC + Everdrives is awesome, but we're talking over a thousand bucks invested here just for playback hardware.

A used Wii will totally give you most of what an NT Mini (or NES RGB) plus RGB SNES does, in real 240p with low latency, plus more like PC Engine and Neo Geo, all for a small fraction of the price.

Virtual console isn't perfect but it really is close, especially on the OG Wii side of things. No reason not to not go that route if you're looking for an economical solution.

Even Punch-Out!! is virtually indistinguishable from playing on real hardware, even from a lag perspective. PC Engine is flawless, and you can hack the 480i games to output 240p, and so on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd agree with the Wii VC recommendation. I wouldn't get invested in all the retro gadgetry we tend to talk about in here unless you're seriously into the old-school stuff.

Kawika

Well, in my "man cave" I have 3 RGB Monitors (2 in storage), a HDTV (1080p w/ 240p support), a HDR 4KTV and a 1440p computer monitor. I use all of them for various gaming habits. In my set up I chain things together to feed the signal to whichever monitor/tv I prefer for the type of signal I am outputting from.

The OSSC will probably replace my Framemeister when my new one (ossc v 1.6) arrives next month. I mainly use my PVM 20L5 for all retro game and sometimes I output the signal to my 4K if its something I don't need to worry about input lag (like rpgs). Everything runs through scart or component (480i/p - GC, PS2 etc) to my gscartsw to the PVM and my framemeister. (if you've seen MLiG set-up episode, mine is a small scale version of some of the stuff they did).

The HD Retrovision cables were something I wanted to use for testing and I was considering buying a Consumer CRT that socksfelloff recommended but then I got my 20L5 and I decided I was done buying Monitors/ SDTVs.

Also you should know, the older OSSC and the Sony 800D weren't exactly friends so there is a good chance I am going to sell my 800D and buy that new TCL HDR I mentioned earlier.

If you're not into the collecting / original hardware purist and you just want to play some good ass games I would really recommend the upcoming Snes classic.

Making an old console work well on a modern display is a deep deep hole to jump into.

You aren't kidding, don't do what I did kids.

If I was going to be absolutely honest with myself. If I could have HDMI out for NES, SNES, GBA *(gamecube), N64 and PS1 on real hardware or fpga I would have just done that. But now I am too deep and I know too much and there isn't much I can do and even if a HDMI mod came out for all my favorite consoles I doubt I would do it.

The main issue for me is, once I learned how quirky emulation was vs real hardware was there was no going back. If I didn't start playing on real hardware and the SNES classic was a thing I could have bought before getting into this I would probably would have been happier (or at least have a little more money).

SNES Classic is missing like a LOT of great SNES games. Wii Virtual Console has more but still some games missing, some of which work with injection but in other cases you need to resort to using the (not amazing) SNES9X port. To be clear these are both good options but Wii VC left me feeling pretty annoyed.

I dunno, it's a tough investment for just one console. I got pretty lucky to have good options for cheap starting out but if you don't have a cooperative TV it kinda sucks to stare down a $200+ line doubler or $300+ scaler as the first good options.

IrishNinja

Im hoping that Nintendo pulls a Nintendo and leaves the data lines hooked up on the USB port... Again. That should give us the ultimate little emulator machine

god yes...there are certain titles savestates & a rewind button (if they work across the board!) would really help with

Im hoping that Nintendo pulls a Nintendo and leaves the data lines hooked up on the USB port... Again. That should give us the ultimate little emulator machine

I somehow doubt it.

god yes...there are certain titles savestates & a rewind button (if they work across the board!) would really help with

Did you check the implementation of the rewind function? It looks not so nice to use.

Sup guys, I know this isn't very retro per se, but hear me out. I've been using my WiiU a lot lately on my PC CRT monitor + Garo, so naturally I went with 720p as most games target that resolution.

480p is very sharp on this monitor, but upon trying 720p for a bit, it looked noticably softer for some reason. Higher resolution for sure, but with an almost shadow mask look to it. I chalked it up to the WiiU having a subpar analog output. Out of curiosity I gave 1080i a shot, and boom, instantly razor sharp again. 1080i looked more like what I'd expect 720p to look like, despite the image now being interlaced.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Does anyone else with a high res monitor also notice this?

Peltz

Sup guys, I know this isn't very retro per se, but hear me out. I've been using my WiiU a lot lately on my PC CRT monitor + Garo, so naturally I went with 720p as most games target that resolution.

480p is very sharp on this monitor, but upon trying 720p for a bit, it looked noticably softer for some reason. Higher resolution for sure, but with an almost shadow mask look to it. I chalked it up to the WiiU having a subpar analog output. Out of curiosity I gave 1080i a shot, and boom, instantly razor sharp again. 1080i looked more like what I'd expect 720p to look like, despite the image now being interlaced.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Does anyone else with a high res monitor also notice this?

1080i on Wii U looks sharper on my PVM 20l5 as well. But 720p still looked good. 1080i just had a slightly more crisp look.

Still, 720p looks like how you'd expect. I'm not sure why you're seeing softness on your end.

Has anyone tried the SNES HD retrovision cables on an LG OLED? Couldn't find details on 240p support for the 2016 OLEDs.

I guess I could dig out my fat PS3 and find a 240p PS1 game maybe?

I'm fiddling with a retropie but the SNES lag was really awful at first, with some tweaking it has improved...

Has anyone tried the SNES HD retrovision cables on an LG OLED? Couldn't find details on 240p support for the 2016 OLEDs.

I'm fiddling with a retropie but the SNES lag was really awful at first, with some tweaking it has improved...

ps3 doesn't output 240p unfortunately. The last console to do so was the Wii

SScorpio

Plug the yellow composite cable into the green component port. If you see a black and white image you're good to go.

Regarding the HD Retrovision cables, they are best used on a CRT with component inputs. Others may have different opinions or results, but I was pretty unhappy with the way it looked and felt on my Panasonic plasma, which accepts 240p over component.

As was said, you've gotta drop the money on a Framemeister or OSSC if you have any kind of modern TV and truly care about the results. And if you're getting into SNES ... I mean ... fucking forget about money anyway. You have to go more than 150 games deep on this list to get to the games that priced below $30. And most of the games you'll want to buy are going to be in that group.

alright thanks guys... i'll hold off on an actual snes now. hopefully nintendo drops VC next year and I can start a library then. maybe I should just retropie it

bodine1231

I've had that TCL and thought it was pretty meh in terms of blacks. I'm waiting for an OLED with ~1ms of lag to pair with the 1.6 OSSC and that'll probably be my main retro setup.

Meh, I think lag is one of the most over embellished, hyperbolic concepts to ever manifest in gaming, I'm way into my KS8000 plus OSSC for all my retro stuff, swapping with PVMs as my mood dictates

Peltz

Lag matters more for certain games over others. Something like Windjammers, punchout, or certain old school fighting games where you have a frame or two to perform an action will really make you want a CRT. There's no getting around that.

Super smash Bros Melee, for example, feels like a much different game when you introduce some lag. Same with Super Mario Bros 1.

Most others (even action games) don't feel much different though.

IrishNinja

Lag matters more for certain games over others. Something like Windjammers, punchout, or certain old school fighting games where you have a frame or two to perform an action will really make you want a CRT. There's no getting around that.

Super smash Bros Melee, for example, feels like a much different game when you introduce some lag. Same with Super Mario Bros 1.

Most others (even action games) don't feel much different though.

^over the years ive come to this exact conclusion, yeah

it's got me wondering what my setup will look like when i finally have a house; the classic game room will have the trinotron & prolly PVM, the plasma in the living room with the HD systems. prolly keep all the NES/SNES etc classic systems out there too for options.

holding onto the XRGB though!

Potentially dumb question (and apologies if it's already been answered): Is there an alternative to the Dreamcast Toro Box? It seems they're not taking any more orders until they fulfill their current ones. The reason I ask is because I have a Framemeister, and even though I can connect my S-Video cable to it, I feel like I can do better.

Thanks in advance for any response(s) :)

Meh, I think lag is one of the most over embellished, hyperbolic concepts to ever manifest in gaming, I'm way into my KS8000 plus OSSC for all my retro stuff, swapping with PVMs as my mood dictates

If you don't play high precision action games, then yeah you're right. But if you play games like Melee, F-Zero GX, and Bayonetta a lot, it cripples the experience.

Timu

Input lag matters a lot to me, in fact I hate it when there's too much of it. I also mostly play fast paced action and fighting games, so having some would be annoying.

Do they still make modern TVs that don't have stupid operating systems that do everything? I want a TV that just displays shit without bells and whistles.

IrishNinja

Do they still make modern TVs that don't have stupid operating systems that do everything? I want a TV that just displays shit without bells and whistles.

i have literally not kept up in forever - id heard some OLED's were hanging with panasonic plasmas for colors/etc but nobody talks about lag, much less scalers. my hope is that by the time my TV dies we'll have a recommended model in this very thread

i know i had a bookmark somewhere here about a site that was doing lag impressions/ratings on modern sets too

i used to feel the same way while playing on my 60" pioneer Kuro 151fd. i played nes Zanac over it almost daily. till i got my rgb nes. hands down my gameplay got significantly better playing over bvm. on my first game, i beat it in 2 lives then i realized what happened.
esp. mike tyson's punch out. world of a difference.
If you don't play high precision action games, then yeah you're right. But if you play games like Melee, F-Zero GX, and Bayonetta a lot, it cripples the experience.
i'm with you guys
Input lag matters a lot to me, in fact I hate it when there's too much of it. I also mostly play fast paced action and fighting games, so having some would be annoying.
Street fighter II is less forgiving than SF alpha pulling off combos and it makes a big difference if there's lag. most memory games don't effect me but games that require quick changes hurt with lag.

i really wish my Kuro would cut the processing crap and just let me game. (my TV has the worse lag input) game mode supposedly disables stuff but it still lags bad.

Peagles

i literally can't get far in PaRappa or Lammy on an HDTV, with or without upscaling

I can't get far on a CRT :lol:

Buy a big monitor instead? I would do that if I found one big enough. Don't think I've used the tuner in our telly for a long time. I guess inputs could be an issue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom