• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

Except for the Sega Master System II which only has RF, but yeah it's true overall still for virtually all of them.

I totally forgot that revision systems counted. lol

Well, you all get the gist of what I mean. If you avoid pared down revisions, you can have all Sega home consoles in RGB without mods.

StevieWhite

So I touched on this a bit AGES ago in the old thread, but I finally finished my "colorize an Odyssey 300 with a Framemeister" project. Came out pretty good - just wish I could clean up more of the static... Maybe if I used something other than an old VCR.

https://youtu.be/d30MSAyrtts

Been meaning to do this since firmware 2.0 hit. I really liked playing around with the overlay feature... I'm hoping I can think of some more creative uses for it. A fun little way to kill a Saturday!

hockey.gif

D.Lo

For example: ALL Sega home consoles output RGB out of the box.
Except
  • SG1000
  • SG1000 II
  • Mark III (it doesn't output usable RGB, needs an amplifier)
  • Master System II
  • Genesis 3

Most post-1985 consoles generate RGB and can have what I'd call a basic RGB mod (eg N64), but some (eg Famicom) can't have RGB without extreme surgery, usually involving complete replacement of major elements of the computer (eg PPU replacements) or FGPA sub-systems like the NESRGB which add an RGB color emulation layer to the circuit.

Khaz

So I touched on this a bit AGES ago in the old thread, but I finally finished my "colorize an Odyssey 300 with a Framemeister" project. Came out pretty good - just wish I could clean up more of the static... Maybe if I used something other than an old VCR.

That's pretty cool! Maybe playing with the saturation before colouring to get rid of the grey static to get a nice black background. Pretty sure Missle could tell you how to build a super aggressive filter to get rid of anything neither black or white on a Composite signal.

StevieWhite

That's pretty cool! Maybe playing with the saturation before colouring to get rid of the grey static to get a nice black background. Pretty sure Missle could tell you how to build a super aggressive filter to get rid of anything neither black or white on a Composite signal.

That's not a bad idea! Would also love to hear what Missle has to say about this.

Madao

when i was taking apart my setup during the receiver business, i noticed the Framemeister's power brick was hot despite the FM not being used at the moment.

is that a bad sign? should i get a replacement AC adapter?

anyone?

IrishNinja

televator just meant to say "ALL sega consoles that matter"

for real though, still working on replacing my model 1 SMS but an SG-1000 would be so baller

shut your dirty whore mouth D-Lo's

think ps1/2 versions are supposed to be in dev right now. not sure what the status is.

Really? That would be stellar. I don't have a flash cart of any kind, nor a Sega CD or Dreamcast. I've considered a SCD and a SNES flash cart but those purchases are not high on my list right now. I could REALLY use a PS1/2 version of this. Kind of wild that it doesn't exist, actually...

D.Lo

They're surely a low priority because PS1/PS2 need somewhat significant mods to play burned discs. Dreamcast, Mega CD, Wii and obviously cart systems via flash carts can play home brew stuff with no mods.

Peltz

They're surely a low priority because PS1/PS2 need somewhat significant mods to play burned discs. Dreamcast, Mega CD, Wii and obviously cart systems via flash carts can play home brew stuff with no mods.

Early PS1 systems can play CD-R backups with a Pro Action Replay device along with a spring to hold down the button inside the disc tray and a PS1 original game which will serve as a boot cd.

Don't CDR's cause the lens of these consoles to age far faster than normal game discs? That's why I never play backups - I'd rather not hurt my hardware.

(RIP laser lens on my OG PS1).

Not really... PS2 can play burned (ESR Patched PS2) DVDs with FreeMCBoot which is pretty simple as long as you have a way to copy it onto your memory card or know someone that already has it.

PS1 can be done with ye olde swappe trick of course.

BTails

Don't CDR's cause the lens of these consoles to age far faster than normal game discs? That's why I never play backups - I'd rather not hurt my hardware.

(RIP laser lens on my OG PS1).

Funny enough, I had my PS1 modded very early (my Dad travelled for work and my came home from one trip with our PS1 modded and a ton of bootlegs from Asia), and the laser still works great.

Meanwhile, my launch PS2, which has never had a backup run on it, can't read ANYTHING anymore.

As sheepy said, the PS2 takes no hard mod to run burned discs. There are hundreds of people all over the world who will send you an HDD or memory card with FHDB/FMCB installed.

televator

televator just meant to say "ALL sega consoles that matter"

for real though, still working on replacing my model 1 SMS but an SG-1000 would be so baller

shut your dirty whore mouth D-Lo's

My NA-centrism got the best of me. :p

As for calibrating a PS2, I suppuse that one can resort to using a 601 calibration DVD. Although it wont be exact for 240p and RGB. For component 480 res content, one could get pretty far with the right calibration disc.

My NA-centrism got the best of me. :p

As for calibrating a PS2, I suppuse that one can resort to using a 601 calibration DVD. Although it wont be exact for 240p and RGB. For component 480 res content, one could get pretty far with the right calibration disc.

You know, that's a good tip for me. Better than nothing (or guessing with my naked eye).

D.Lo

Not really... PS2 can play burned (ESR Patched PS2) DVDs with FreeMCBoot which is pretty simple as long as you have a way to copy it onto your memory card or know someone that already has it.

PS1 can be done with ye olde swappe trick of course.
Only early PS1s, it was gone after a year or so? And you need a modded PS2 of some sort (or at least some sort of commercial slide card/swap disc/HD loader etc) to create free mcboot. And then patched ISOs to play burned games, so much configuration. I've been doing HD Loader since it first came out, then free mcboot, the type of tinkering required to get stuff going was rather complicated.

Dreamcast and Mega CD you need nothing, burn an iso and it plays on every system (except like 0.5% of Dreamcasts released). And flash carts are drag and drop with roms, and already had homebrew scenes due to emulation of older systems.

I mean yes it can be done on PS1/2 without an actual soldered mod chip, but a mod method is still needed (the swap trick is pretty simple but not universally applicable). They're objectively far less popular as homebrew platforms as something like Dreamcast because there is much more overhead to getting homebrew running. Hence why I thought they'd be lower priority for home brew tools.

This is an old wives tale, and not true.
CDrs are physically different to pressed discs, so it can be true in some circumstances, but is extremely unlikely in normal use.

Although playing a CDR rip of Sonic Adventure 2 the other day made my Dreamcast squeel way more than the official disc.. I felt like I was hurting the poor thing.
Actually DC is a special case, because the games have to be compressed or have items chopped to fit on regular CDs, this can be done in such a way that makes the lazer work much harder and it will wear it out much faster.

Only early PS1s, it was gone after a year or so? And you need a modded PS2 of some sort (or at least some sort of commercial slide card/swap disc/HD loader etc) to create free mcboot. And then patched ISOs to play burned games, so much configuration. I've been doing HD Loader since it first came out, then free mcboot, the type of tinkering required to get stuff going was rather complicated.

Every PS1 can do some sort of disc swap. It's more annoying on the later models, though.

For PS2 you can just copy someone else's FreeMcBoot onto your memory card. If you don't know anyone that has it already, people sell pre-modded memory cards. It's really no more difficult than say buying a DS flash card in that sense. Patching the ISOs is pretty easy too, just drag-n-drop.

D.Lo

For PS2 you can just copy someone else's FreeMcBoot onto your memory card. If you don't know anyone that has it already, people sell pre-modded memory cards. It's really no more difficult than say buying a DS flash card in that sense. Patching the ISOs is pretty easy too, just drag-n-drop.
Now, I guess sure, and yes I guess it's similar to buying a flash cart. I haven't looked recently as I made one myself what must be a decade ago when it was a bit of a bitch.

I'll look up if the tools have improved.

Yawnny

Bob, over at RetroRGB, uploaded his most recent Weeklly Roundup video which includes a conversation with modder Voultar. The interview portion lasts over an hour.. and there's an incredible amount of information! I sat and watched the whole thing and was excited to just "learn stuff" after It was over.

Voultar clearly knows his stuff about system modding and as a complete geek I loved hearing all of the technical stuff (even though I wish I knew a fraction as much about the technical side as this guy does).

I have a snes mini that is modded per retrorgb.com site. Using retro_console_accessories CSYNC cable into gscartsw into Framemeister. I have the latest version Framemeister firmware and have been using Firebrandx snes 4x profiles. Every other game looks great. For Halloween I fired up super ghouls and ghosts. The intro looks great and everything is fine until you make Arthur move around. Then his sprite gets all glitchy. This doesn't happen with other snes games I own. Cart plays just fine on my Supaboy. I have a video of that helps. Pause it and everything is beautiful. Any thoughts?

D.Lo

I have a snes mini that is modded per retrorgb.com site. Using retro_console_accessories CSYNC cable into gscartsw into Framemeister. I have the latest version Framemeister firmware and have been using Firebrandx snes 4x profiles. Every other game looks great. For Halloween I fired up super ghouls and ghosts. The intro looks great and everything is fine until you make Arthur move around. Then his sprite gets all glitchy. This doesn't happen with other snes games I own. Cart plays just fine on my Supaboy. I have a video of that helps. Pause it and everything is beautiful. Any thoughts?
Sounds like the game to me, the FM can't glitch a sprite.

Sounds like the game to me, the FM can't glitch a sprite.

It's almost like there's lag that is jumbling up the character. And works perfectly on my supaboy system. It would make sense since so many others work well... thanks for your input.

Peagles

you can feel some heat when touching the AC adapter. it's not in burn the fingers range but it's hot enough to be noticeable.

Too hot to comfortably hold for a long time? Too hot that you wouldn't want it resting on your arm or leg? If so I'd replace it. A little warmth is okay but I wouldn't mess around with much more than that. Is it the original adapter/rated appropriately for the FM?

Madao

Too hot to comfortably hold for a long time? Too hot that you wouldn't want it resting on your arm or leg? If so I'd replace it. A little warmth is okay but I wouldn't mess around with much more than that. Is it the original adapter/rated appropriately for the FM?

i checked just a few seconds ago and it's nowhere near that. it's warm but i can hold it fine. it's the original adapter that came with the FM when i bought it.

it worried me because none of the power bricks of any other devices i have get any warm while being off.

i thought shit tier media did put more wear & tear on the laser, though? you telling me i bought all these verbatims/taiho yuden whatevers for nothing!?

I think that just came from people justifying spending more on CDRs.

It's almost like there's lag that is jumbling up the character. And works perfectly on my supaboy system. It would make sense since so many others work well... thanks for your input.

That's not how lag works. It doesn't just "lag" or jumble up one sprite. Try cleaning the cart with a good eraser and then a high percentage alcohol rubbing alcohol.

televator

You know, that's a good tip for me. Better than nothing (or guessing with my naked eye).

It's miles better than guessing. I calibrated my PS3 and PS4 with a BD calibration disc. PS2 games look correct via my BC PS3 on my plasma. To my initial horror, I was completely clipping the shit out of my gamma scale before calibrating with the disc.

Peagles

i checked just a few seconds ago and it's nowhere near that. it's warm but i can hold it fine. it's the original adapter that came with the FM when i bought it.

it worried me because none of the power bricks of any other devices i have get any warm while being off.

Fully off? Or on standby?

I'd still look at a replacement sooner rather than later. Last one I had like that blew up and blew the fuses in our apt lol...

Brhoom

Banned
So guys what do think is the best solution for playing games that switch between resolutions other than a CRT or an Emulator? I'm talking interms of picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom