• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einhandr

It's possible that the 2nd one has a sync stripper in the cable (usually at the scart end) to clean up the composite line's sync. You could try messaging the seller and asking.

Yeah I'm thinking the reason why my cable didn't work was because it carries a csync signal and the GameCube isn't capable of running csync without some sort of sync stripper. Im pretty sure the VP30 requires csync (still looking into this) so I'm wondering if just getting a sync strike might be worth it in the long run for increased compatibility.

Peltz

which palette is that on NESRGB?

I don't have the NESRGB, but maybe Miyamoto intended for it to look something like this:

smb_coin_heaven.png

Not this:

5c68e496.png

But it's so hard to be certain when it comes to NES games. Not even Nintendo is consistent with the way it should look in ports and the Virtual Console.

I mean, just check out this VS. Super Mario Bros. machine:

mario-side.jpg

But this is how the sky looks in Virtual Console Promo Materials:

super_mario_bros_lost_levels_wuu_i_virtual_console.jpg

lP_3dDs9Ia-ICDU8VGzh6UE3seJUZK2y.png

But this is how it looks on GBA:

20150126140636_15937.jpeg

This shit is all over the place. Playing in composite on a real NES, I can get my PVM to display it in either way with a few tweaks.

Khaz

I don't have the NESRGB, but maybe Miyamoto intended for it to look something like this:

What I take from this interview is that he intended for the sky to be blue, but colour limitations on the console had him make it purplish instead. So purple is the console-correct, period-accurate colour, but blue is what Miyamoto wished and subsequent releases tried to cater to that wish. Both colours are correct, it depends on how you look at them.

Regarding the NES. I know we're all RGB here but I wonder if, because of its limited palette, it's better to stick with composite. A lot of the early computers used tricks to blend colors together that isn't really possible in RGB. Did NES developers do the same?

smb_coin_heaven.png

Not this:

5c68e496.png

But it's so hard to be certain when it comes to NES games. Not even Nintendo is consistent with the way it should look in ports and the Virtual Console.

I mean, just check out this VS. Super Mario Bros. machine:

mario-side.jpg

But this is how the sky looks in Virtual Console Promo Materials:

super_mario_bros_lost_levels_wuu_i_virtual_console.jpg

lP_3dDs9Ia-ICDU8VGzh6UE3seJUZK2y.png

But this is how it looks on GBA:

20150126140636_15937.jpeg

This shit is all over the place. Playing in composite on a real NES, I can get my PVM to display it in either way with a few tweaks.
i like my skies blue not purple.

BTails

Regarding the NES. I know we're all RGB here but I wonder if, because of its limited palette, it's better to stick with composite. A lot of the early computers used tricks to blend colors together that isn't really possible in RGB. Did NES developers do the same?

Reposting from the previous thread, here's my comparison of my RGB AV Famicom vs my NES Front-Loader via composite:

5KhG0bZ.jpg

Looking at the vase in the upper right, the composite artifacts almost make it look more detailed/smoother than the crisp version. That being said, I'll take the sharper image everytime (Though I normally play with added scanlines).

Reposting from the previous thread, here's my comparison of my RGB AV Famicom vs my NES Front-Loader via composite:

5KhG0bZ.jpg

Looking at the vase in the upper right, the composite artifacts almost make it look more detailed/smoother than the crisp version. That being said, I'll take the sharper image everytime (Though I normally play with added scanlines).

If I'm playing on a CRT, composite would look better than that, right?

I need to get an RGB NES/Famicom so I can decide what I like better.

BTails

If I'm playing on a CRT, composite would look better than that, right?

I need to get an RGB NES/Famicom so I can decide what I like better.

Depending on the CRT, the nature of the technology might hide some of the artifacting, but it's not going to be able to prevent the limitation inherent to composite, namely Moire and colour bleed.

Yawnny

I know a lot of CRT's had S-Video, but a lot of mediocre consumer grade ones only have Composite, and the newer ones that had component (YPbPr) tended to have a 'flat' screen and little to no scanlines, performing more like an HD would process the image.

My question is: When people talk about gaming on a CRT and loving the look of scanlines, are they typically talking about a system hooked up through composite?

Peltz

I know a lot of CRT's had S-Video, but a lot of mediocre consumer grade ones only have Composite, and the newer ones that had component (YPbPr) tended to have a 'flat' screen and little to no scanlines, performing more like an HD would process the image.

My question is: When people talk about gaming on a CRT and loving the look of scanlines, are they typically talking about a system hooked up through composite?

No. Most of us are using pro-grade monitors with SCART.

Also, a lot of arcade monitors have scanlines as well. Most consumer-grade monitors don't have a heavy scanline effect, no matter the connection type.

dhonk

Slap me if this is a bad place for this but due to some unfortunate circumstances, had to list my Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI on US ebay if anyones looking for one with fast shipping. (AKA not from Japan.)

Peltz

Slap me if this is a bad place for this but due to some unfortunate circumstances, had to list my Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI on US ebay if anyones looking for one with fast shipping. (AKA not from Japan.)

This is a perfectly valid post but due to your avatar I was looking for Bow's slap animation in a gif. I failed to find it :(

IrishNinja

Regarding the NES. I know we're all RGB here but I wonder if, because of its limited palette, it's better to stick with composite.

ew, no
NES composite is butt, along with the Genesis. if you can go RGB, do so - the board allows the weird palette the player's choice mod used to bring, and a much better one.

you get crisp colors (even with the NES' limited palette) and everything looks great, as opposed to overly-sharp from emulators/etc

Khaz

The scanlines visibility isn't dependent on the signal type, but on the electron beam focus size. On a typical low grade (Euro) CRT, you can barely distinguish two scanlines whether in Composite or RGB. Higher priced models usually had a better resolution, especially as the size of the screen went up.

What makes a CRT special in terms of picture isn't the ability to resolve scanlines in my opinion, but more about the round spot, the minuscule RGB grid allowing to scan at different definitions without losing any picture characteristics, the difference in spot size between dark and bright pixels, etc. Many of these features can be perceived as flaws (black lines interlacing the picture? different sized, round pixels? curved screen? terrible), but they give a CRT picture a very distinct appearance that has its charm.

Now what kills Composite for me is the ugly, shaky dot crawl. I could maybe manage with the blurred mess that is colour bleed, but the dot crawl literally hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. I can't play more than a few minutes of my Famicom Mini, which is said to have some of the best Composite output.

Timu

Now what kills Composite for me is the ugly, shaky dot crawl. I could maybe manage with the blurred mess that is colour bleed, but the dot crawl literally hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. I can't play more than a few minutes of my Famicom Mini, which is said to have some of the best Composite output.
It's really hard to make composite look good sadly with rainbow banding, dot crawl, fuzzy blurry and such.

TeaJay

It's one of those cases where after getting an RGB AV Famicom I immediately thought how I did so long without one.

And it's not even a case of retro snobbism, since the RGB just makes it so much better.

D.Lo

Unless things have changed (which they may have, see earlier in the thread) FreeMcboot doesn't do imports by itself. You still need a slide card etc, even to put them on a hard drive.

Of course you could download pre-patched discs and burn them, or patch yourself, but it doesn't play genuine real other region discs. Correct me if wrong.

FSLink

Banned
Unless things have changed (which they may have, see earlier in the thread) FreeMcboot doesn't do imports by itself. You still need a slide card etc, even to put them on a hard drive.

Of course you could download pre-patched discs and burn them, or patch yourself, but it doesn't play genuine real other region discs. Correct me if wrong.

For the HD Loader I just ripped the games on my computer's DVD drive and transferred them over to the PS2 hard drive with an IDE adapter.

You don't need a slide card or anything.

With ESR you do this:
Rip import, patch and burn to dvd -> boot PS2 to FMCB menu -> put burned disc in -> boot ESR

With OPL:
Rip import -> transfer to HDD/USB (or configure OPL to load games over the net) -> boot PS2 to FMCB menu -> boot OPL -> boot iso from OPL.

It's honestly everything you need, but if you really want to play original discs, folks should be looking at DTL "test" PS2s. They can be found around ebay or assembler. Not super cheap but not extortionist prices, either.

Madao

man, it seems like NES SMB is heading the Star Wars path regarding acurracy.

soon we'll have wars about intended vs authentic.

in other news, i ordered an OSSC. while i wasn't 100% convinced, i decided to pull the trigger since wasting the opportunity would be very stupid considering how hard it is to obtain right now. also, i want to see how it stacks against the FM in person since video comparisons won't do for me since everyone's got different setups and preferences.
if it fits my preferences and beats the FM at what i'm looking for, it's a win. if it doesn't, i could resell it and get back what i spent.

D.Lo

man, it seems like NES SMB is heading the Star Wars path regarding acurracy.

soon we'll have wars about intended vs authentic.
It already is like Star Wars. There's the All Stars versions, then the GBA versions of the all stars versions.

Haven't been using my Framemeister and could use the money so I'm getting rid of it. I figured I'd post it here before putting it on eBay or something. If you're interested PM me. In addition to the original box, stand, booklet, remote, power supply and JP-21 to 8 pin RGB cable, I'll include a retro_games_accessories SCART to 8 pin RGB cable and Micomsoft component to D-link terminal cable, all together for $300 plus shipping. Oh and my remote has the English overlay.

BTails

Haven't been using my Framemeister and could use the money so I'm getting rid of it. I figured I'd post it here before putting it on eBay or something. If you're interested PM me. In addition to the original box, stand, booklet, remote, power supply and JP-21 to 8 pin RGB cable, I'll include a retro_games_accessories SCART to 8 pin RGB cable and Micomsoft component to D-link terminal cable, all together for $300 plus shipping. Oh and my remote has the English overlay.

Someone jump on this deal, that's killer value right there! Also, there's a stand for the Framemeister? Did that come with every unit? Maybe I should check my box...

dubc35

Once you join the retro AV club, you suddenly find yourself broke AF. Also, you spend more time making your games look better than you do playing them.

Guilty of this. Although, last night I was playing Shinobi (ps2) on my BC launch 60gb PS3 via HDMI on a plasma instead of hooking up my og ps2 phatty via RGB on a PVM. ...Dem acronyms.

Interesting discussion on the SMB purple/blue sky. Personally I've always taken the purple hue to be correct. But the game really looks great when you adjust the TV to make the palate tilt toward "true blue."

I'm curious how many NES RGB people here have the palate switch in the console? Is it cool or just another thing to dick around with and drive you crazy?

And yeah, the comparison to Star Wars is very apt.

Galdelico

Someone jump on this deal, that's killer value right there! Also, there's a stand for the Framemeister? Did that come with every unit? Maybe I should check my box...

If it was in Eurozone, I would've jumped in right away.
I'll probably have to wait, I dunno, maybe six more months for the OSSC, as I'm not even sure the next batch will reach my number. Shipping cost is going to be a deal breaker, unfortunately.

I'm curious how many NES RGB people here have the palate switch in the console? Is it cool or just another thing to dick around with and drive you crazy?

There's only three options, one of which is useless. I had mine on Improved for a while but something looked weird so I soldered it over to Natural; kinda wish I had put a switch in, even internally, so if I change my mind it's not more soldering but maybe if I ever want to change again I'll do that.

Natural looks really, really good.

Khaz

There's only three options, one of which is useless. I had mine on Improved for a while but something looked weird so I soldered it over to Natural; kinda wish I had put a switch in, even internally, so if I change my mind it's not more soldering but maybe if I ever want to change again I'll do that.

He should have added a couple of pin holes for optional jumpers. I know I won't add a switch on mine and most likely will use the Natural palette, but I would have liked to see the other two on my TV without too much hassle before settling for one and closing the console. I think you can add jumper pins on pins 2 and 3, so that you can switch between Natural and Improved, but I don't believe it was designed with that in mind. Garish isn't accessible that way.

D.Lo

I made a switch hidden inside the cart slot

Just between improved and normal. I use improved mostly, but if something looks wrong in a particular game can swap it over.

TeaJay

I have a switch for Improved and Natural as well (bottom of the console). Usually I use Improved for more vibrant colors but for some games I prefer natural

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom