• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Pi emulation sucks, I'd take a Wii or many other options over that first. And all those options are largely piracy based. It is in no way comparable to a legitimate first party device.

For me this is the most important point, i think the studios owning these games should earn money from them when they are selling them legitimately, and in a more general term, i think the devaluation of video games that smart phones, steam sales, emulation and piracy all plays a part in, is a pretty big challenge to the industry overall, as Iwata so famously said at GDC back in 2010.

D.Lo

How do you figure?

If I only own a Genesis and want to play a hard copy of Alien Soldier, I can pay 500 bucks for it off eBay, along with a Mega Drive and whatever else I need, or buy a compatible reproduction cart for 30. License holders for that game don't receive a penny either way, so I don't see the equivalency.
It's exactly the same thing ethically.

The ONLY ethically pure options are to buy an expensive original or buy it on Virtual Console or Steam. The game is currently for sale right now on two active services, so there's no 'abandonware' argument on that game, the content owners can currently be paid for its sale. Technically you can buy it on VC, rip the rom from your download, and burn it yourself onto a cart. I doubt anyone ever has done this, but that would be ethical.

Every other way to play the game involves dealing with stolen/pirated goods and are ethically identical. Buying a repro is buying a knowingly pirated game, which is ethically identical to just downloading and playing on an emulator or flash cart. It isn't somehow more legitimate just because some hobbyist is profiting from it.

In my opinion it's no less ethical than selling a legitimately obtained physical copy for $500. But, as many others have said, this is a pointless topic, so I'm dropping it.

What are your 2017 retro gaming plans?

As for 2017, not sure what my retro gaming aspirations are. I feel satisfied with what I have currently and have no big items I want to obtain.

I'd love an astro city or some other candy cab along with some shmup PCBs, but I need a bigger place first.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I hope to finally get that PC Engine Duo-R with RGB, but now that Doujindance is revealed to be less than great, I need to find another way of obtaining it. So who knows when Im getting it.

It's exactly the same thing ethically.

The ONLY ethically pure options are to buy an expensive original or buy it on Virtual Console or Steam. The game is currently for sale right now on two active services, so there's no 'abandonware' argument on that game, the content owners can currently be paid for its sale. Technically you can buy it on VC, rip the rom from your download, and burn it yourself onto a cart. I doubt anyone ever has done this, but that would be ethical.

Every other way to play the game involves dealing with stolen/pirated goods and are ethically identical. Buying a repro is buying a knowingly pirated game, which is ethically identical to just downloading and playing on an emulator or flash cart. It isn't somehow more legitimate just because some hobbyist is profiting from it.

What about if you have the Gunstar Treasure Box?

Fularu

Banned
What about if you have the Gunstar Treasure Box?

Some would say it's fine.

Technically you purchased the right to play the game on your PS2, this doesn'T grant you the right to play it on a different system (just like buying FIFA 17 on PS4 doesn'T give you the right to play the XBONE and PC versions for free) but it's kind of a grey area tbh

I would be fine with it /shrug

Some would say it's fine.

Technically you purchased the right to play the game on your PS2, this doesn'T grant you the right to play it on a different system (just like buying FIFA 17 on PS4 doesn'T give you the right to play the XBONE and PC versions for free) but it's kind of a grey area tbh

I would be fine with it /shrug

Yeah, it does raise some interesting questions. It was the only way I could get an affordable version of Alien Soldier, and it's passable. At least M2 handled it.

Mega

Banned

Just to play more games. I bought so many this year, especially GC and Wii. Lately I've gotten good about more or less sticking to 1-2 games at home, one game on the go, and seeing them through to the end... unless the game really doesn't appeal to me and I move on. I just started Ys Book I and II on PC Engine CD and it's pretty cool. Fantastic audio!

For later in 2017, get a 4K OLED with hopefully low input lag. Make OSSC connected systems and HDMI modded consoles really shine.

Indeed. We're into the holiday season now so let's start thinking about our 2017 retro gaming plans! I plan on getting my NES RGB modded and hopefully an OSSC! What are your 2017 retro gaming plans?

Try new stuff.

I bought a bunch of new hardware this year with all kinds of weird shit so I want to try some genres and games I haven't been able to crack into before.

I wrote off Adventure games a few years ago but I'll give some of the old Lucasarts games another shot on my old PC.

See how I feel about Tengai Makyou. I already bought most of the games in the series (cheap!) but it's worth looking into if it fits my RPG tastes.

Give Shenmue 1&2 another run through. It's been 10 years, maybe I can re-evaluate it.

I revived my original Xbox and bought a bunch of stuff and will be giving at least the Splinter Cell games a go soon.

Maybe I can find another fighting game I like other than Soul Calibur 2 between the Saturn & DC.

Edit: I forgot this is the AV thread. I don't have the means to test it on my own but I want to research how many TVs sync properly to 240p RGB over VGA. If it's a lot it might be a good recommendation for most people to just buy a SCART to VGA connector with a sync-separator, rather than going "you should buy a CRT or a several-hundred-dollar-scaler."

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Since my PC setup should finally, finally be done by the end of this year, I can move on to actually putting together a decent place to play retro games. A good start, I suspect, would be buying some shelving so that I don't have a giant pile of stuff that I don't have room for. I'm either lazy or stupid. Probably both.

D.Lo

I'm tinkering in the supergun/arcade board hardware area now and into 2017.

I have pretty much every console ever that I've wanted (and more *cough* Cassette Vision *cough*). So building up my arcade collection is the final frontier for the real deal.

Roge_NES

Finally got an 8" PVM!
I had been looking for one for a while so I can use it whenever I repair stuff.

1NLSCPoh.jpg

q4HeLvVh.jpg

oVg4Dyrh.jpg

Krelian

I plan to mod or replace consoles without RGB output to use them on my OSSC. I also plan on getting more NTSC consoles and possibly replacing some of my PAL games. My only NTSC-only collection is PS2 but I do have a few NTSC games for each of my consoles, so I wouldn't have to start from scratch. Aside from that I'll probably buy some retro games here and there :)

D.Lo

I hope to finally get that PC Engine Duo-R with RGB, but now that Doujindance is revealed to be less than great, I need to find another way of obtaining it. So who knows when Im getting it.
My bought in 2012 Doujindance RX has never missed a beat in over four years.

TeaJay

Retro gaming plans for 2017...

I'm getting the PC Engine and the Dreamcast next week or so, so December will be spent trying stuff out on those consoles. Maybe next is some kind of Game Boy solution, perhaps with a Super Game Boy 2.

Khaz

Hopefully finally finishing these retro-PCs! Still can't get my hand on a card reader, and finding an ISA riser has been surprisingly difficult. The other PC needs a new case and heatsink, and these things cost money.

Also, the Atari 2600jr RGB mod is apparently due very soon, and I will order the NESRGB mod along with it to save on shipping. The beginning of the year should be full of modding!

Get a straight unmodded Duo-R and then send it to KeithCourage or Voultar for the RGB mod. They both do amazing work.

Since this is the AV thread I'll keep this AV related.

There's only really 1 console left that I want to get, a SuperGrafx, so maybe that for this year. Modding plans for this year include finally RGB modding my 2600, 240p and RGB modding my 3DO (although there's a new RGB board supposedly coming for that so I'm waiting on that), and finally getting a SCART switch box......or two.

Galdelico

Apologies for being annoying on this subject, but I can't believe how little to no informations are available about it. So, yeah, if any of you guys could report - or, even better, show with pictures - how the OSSC's Line Triple mode works with 27"/1440 PC monitors, that would be massively appreciated.

What I'm basically trying to find out (before buying one), is how big/small the frame would be - compared to the amount of black borders - in order to decide whether to go for a 1440 display, or just stick with a good 27" Full HD one.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Peagles

Apologies for being annoying on this subject, but I can't believe how little to no informations are available about it. So, yeah, if any of you guys could report - or, even better, show with pictures - how the OSSC's Line Triple mode works with 27"/1440 PC monitors, that would be massively appreciated.

What I'm basically trying to find out (before buying one), is how big/small the frame would be - compared to the amount of black borders - in order to decide whether to go for a 1440 display, or just stick with a good 27" Full HD one.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Things are a bit touch and go here but my husband uses a 1440p monitor, so I might be able to test this out for you. I'll try anyway!

Leonsito

I finally have at home the Sony KV-21LS30E, the IQ is fantastic with my RGB consoles, geometry is almost perfect (I'll deal with it later) and it has about 10k hours of use. I'll do some tests and post pics later.

Now I will have to say goodbye to my old friend, a 29" Sony Trinitron KV-X2903E, it looks amazing, but it's very big and heavy, and my retrogaming room is too small for it :(

Galdelico

Things are a bit touch and go here but my husband uses a 1440p monitor, so I might be able to test this out for you. I'll try anyway!

You're super kind Peagles, but you guys have your own business to take care of, right now. :) Please, don't sweat it.
I just wanted to refresh my question after a few new pages, really.

MattyH

I did that on my Xbox, but jebus, I'm just too goddamn lazy to do it to my PS2. The worst thing is that I already heave all the hardware to do it, and I still put it off. lol!

i initially did it back in 05 to play Fire Pro Returns without having to possibly break my console with swap magic discs etc

With all this talk on playing backups of games you own, is there any option for Saturn that is readily available. I remember bookmarking some project that was being done for Saturn and Dreamcast that allowed cd-less playing but whenever I checked it was always closed for pre-orders.

I'm more-so interested because
a) I really hate how loud the Saturn
b)games with cutscenes like Resident Evil can skip a lot which annoys me
c)I'd like to do an interesting cd-less case mod, but I can't really start designing it till I figure out what type of space I have to work with

On the flip side, I don't think owning many games is an achievement in itself... moreso the content of the collection and how it came about. I admire more when someone has 80 well-maintained classics, hidden gems and personal favorites for a system vs ALL 900 TITLES jammed into shelves.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I used to love grabbing whatever I could find that was a good deal but then my gaming library became so huge and just a mess of stuff I would definitely never boot up. I've sold a bunch of my library since and have boiled it down to stuff I'd be willing to replay(which has resulted in me selling the vast majority of my PS2 collection).

Side note, I recently played my SF2HF on snes using composite on my HDTV when some friends came over. Immediately turned it off and carried my PVM down two flights of stairs because I couldn't handle the sight.

Mihos

Gold Member
Indeed. We're into the holiday season now so let's start thinking about our 2017 retro gaming plans! I plan on getting my NES RGB modded and hopefully an OSSC! What are your 2017 retro gaming plans?

My gscartsw switch just showed up, so my holiday plans involve a massive rewiring. I may finally pull the trigger on a turboexpress, it is the last major handheld I am missing without going after specific revisions of system I already have

I also inherited a barely used frogger, ms packman, and baby packman arcade machines.... so I have some furnature to move around in the bar area

Madao

so far, the only thing i have planned is to get the GCVideo mod for my GC and Wii. for GC i want the one that is just a plug that goes into the Digital Out port (too expensive to send a GC and i don't use it much) and for Wii i'd probably pick an internal method since it looks like that will be the only option for that console.

outside that, nothing so far. i might sell one between the FM and OSSC but i want to use both for a bit before i decide that. the other consoles i own are already modded and don't need upgrades so far (N64 with UltraHDMI and SNES mini with RGB out)

Brhoom

Banned
so far, the only thing i have planned is to get the GCVideo mod for my GC and Wii. for GC i want the one that is just a plug that goes into the Digital Out port (too expensive to send a GC and i don't use it much) and for Wii i'd probably pick an internal method since it looks like that will be the only option for that console.

outside that, nothing so far. i might sell one between the FM and OSSC but i want to use both for a bit before i decide that. the other consoles i own are already modded and don't need upgrades so far (N64 with UltraHDMI and SNES mini with RGB out)

Wii hdmi mod??? Where??!!

KC-Slater

With all this talk on playing backups of games you own, is there any option for Saturn that is readily available. I remember bookmarking some project that was being done for Saturn and Dreamcast that allowed cd-less playing but whenever I checked it was always closed for pre-orders.

GDEMU (Dreamcast) & RHEA/PHOEBE (model 1 or model 2 Saturn) are SD-card reader optical replacement drives. This is probably what you are referring to. I own both, and they work quite well. They were/are a pain to get a hold of, however. Persistence and patience is key, I suppose. Keep an eye on the site for when orders open back up.

KC-Slater

I plan on finally starting a case-mode for my consolized Sega Naomi. I've seen some other great examples online, and I want to tuck everything in to a nice compact package, similar to an actual console. I'd love to document the process to help others who are interested in to do same thing.

I'm sort of interested in picking up a capture/streaming box as well.

Other than that, just buying up Naomi carts that interest me as I come across them, or the odd Mega Drive/Saturn game, although I've pretty much hit my wall with which titles I still want, and what I'm willing to spend with regards to those last two.

Continue my journey to get a lagless 480p CRT setup. Considering how much 6th gen gaming I do it sucks to have to settle for 480i.

Mega

Banned
Bicubic interpolation (upscaling) explained on Computerphile.

Very interesting. So it makes splines and why it looks smoother than other methods.

Bicubic is nice for real life images, realistic/complex graphics and detailed illustrations, but it's terrible for low-res sprites. You start to get very rounded edges and weird ringing artifacts, which I think makes it worse than a bilinear filter. On the opposite end, nearest neighbor is great for sprites but it sucks for TV and movies. Since displays don't allow us to select which algorithm is used for non-native-res images, bilinear is a decent middle ground compromise for many types of inputs.

I think bicubic only starts to work decently for native 480p games or higher res and at that point you probably won't be able to spot a difference between bilinear unless you're pixel peeping on a still frame. I personally prefer perfect pixel graphics without any smoothing filters up until we reach 720p games.

edit: Just giving my two cents as it relates to retro gaming. It is a great video explaining the differences.

Peagles

You're super kind Peagles, but you guys have your own business to take care of, right now. :) Please, don't sweat it.
I just wanted to refresh my question after a few new pages, really.

Just know that I have the equipment to do so at some point and happy to when I get a bit of time.

It's actually been kinda cruisey being off work and waiting at home but looks like today is the day, so no more!

The good news is that OSSC + N64 makes for a good distraction in early labour :p

BTails

*SNIP* early labour :p

Good luck Peagles!!! Having just gone through labour (As a support person to my wife, not actually myself), I have nothing but the utmost respect and awe of the ladies who do.

Back on topic, I just bought myself a 4K TV!! It arrives on Friday, so I'm looking forward to messing around a bit with it, though it might take me a while to try out my Framemeister and see how things are looking. 240p to 4K, that's an insane jump.

My 2017 goal is to finally RGB mod my NES. It makes more sense to mod my AV Fami but I just so often play on the NES. Maybe I'll do both one day...

MattyH

Hmm my 2017 goals I'd like to say go multi region and 50/60 with my saturn and n64 maybe pick up rgb NES and SNES

Peltz

I only have one major retro gaming plan: NESRGB mod.

It's the biggest missing "thing" in my retro setup. I'm sick of dot crawl.

I have most of my setup complete heading into 2017. Just sent my Nintendo 64 off to get RGB modded and added a receiver and some speakers to my setup. I'm 22 away from a complete Sega CD collection so I'll keep working on that and will probably start leaning into Genesis and PS1 more.

Madao

well, i got some free time to test screenshot capture with my capture card and the OSSC.

some examples:

i didn't change the picture's sizes in any way.
are there other settings that can alter the picture in the OSSC itself?
i guess this is the limit of the Wii's video output. here's a situation where GCVideo could help quite a bit.

Timu

well, i got some free time to test screenshot capture with my capture card and the OSSC.

some examples:

i didn't change the picture's sizes in any way.
are there other settings that can alter the picture in the OSSC itself?
i guess this is the limit of the Wii's video output. here's a situation where GCVideo could help quite a bit.
1440x900 resolution???=O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom