• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

the OSSC has a line double mode for 480p. my monitor and capture card can display it but my TV can't.

oh, it does 1440x960. i made sure amarec captured the correct resolution.
Yeah, it's 1440x960, my bad. It's interesting how the line doubling works for this device.

Timu

My 2017 retro gaming plans are:

Get more Sega Saturn games

Maybe get an retrousb AVS

A new capture card to do literally everything(mine does most things)

To get an alternative to the Sync Strike for RGB capture, like scart female to female and then scart to vga(already have a scart adapter with audio out)

Since I already have a N64 everdrive, I may look into some others

If possible, a framemeister(50/50 chance though)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Get a straight unmodded Duo-R and then send it to KeithCourage or Voultar for the RGB mod. They both do amazing work.

Both of those are located in the US right? Sounds really unpractical for me, living in Europe, but I guess this is the route to go. Any easy way to get in touch with them? Would probably be easiest for me to buy a console and send it directly to them from Japan, no need to have it go through me just to be sent on for extra shipping (and possibly custom) costs.

Morfeo

Just know that I have the equipment to do so at some point and happy to when I get a bit of time.

It's actually been kinda cruisey being off work and waiting at home but looks like today is the day, so no more!

The good news is that OSSC + N64 makes for a good distraction in early labour :p

Good luck Peagles!

dubc35

Yes. He said to contact him again this weekend. But I'll be traveling so it will be another week or two for me.
Sounds good, interested to know how it goes! I was waiting until after thanksgiving because my nephew (brother) want to play Double Dragon this weekend while they're here.

televator

Bicubic is nice for real life images, realistic/complex graphics and detailed illustrations, but it's terrible for low-res sprites. You start to get very rounded edges and weird ringing artifacts, which I think makes it worse than a bilinear filter. On the opposite end, nearest neighbor is great for sprites but it sucks for TV and movies. Since displays don't allow us to select which algorithm is used for non-native-res images, bilinear is a decent middle ground compromise for many types of inputs.

I think bicubic only starts to work decently for native 480p games or higher res and at that point you probably won't be able to spot a difference between bilinear unless you're pixel peeping on a still frame. I personally prefer perfect pixel graphics without any smoothing filters up until we reach 720p games.

edit: Just giving my two cents as it relates to retro gaming. It is a great video explaining the differences.

Glad you found it interesting. Stuff like this goes a long way in helping me trully grasp the theories behind image processing. I really hope they do more like it. Like a scaler that uses these kinds of interpolations is basically producing vector lines (internally, not on your screen for obvious reasons) from the edges sampled in a frame, it seems. With bicubic producing splines, it becomes clear why it is such a taxing but effective process for film material. I think I agree with you on how effective it is on game imagery though, and I do wish more devices would, let us control how they scale certain things.

Madao

i'm having a problem with the OSSC. when i put a 240p source, the resulting 480p signal is not visible on TV. do i need to change something for this?

Fallen92

IWhat are your 2017 retro gaming plans?
Well now that I have finally acquired my OSSC my main priority is to get a new TV since mine is having some video problems and sometimes produces these solid black vertical lines, jailbars, and are quite annoying since I have to get up and fiddle with the coax input to get it to go away. Here's a picture I took while I was playing Secret of Mana (via composite):
tri01D4.jpg
and another with Streets of Rage 2 (also composite):
and a bonus one that just happened to me today while trying out Mario World with the OSSC:

Madao

a comparison between a 480i vs 480p input into the OSSC:

also, here's a comparison between capturing the component cable output directly and passing it through the OSSC:

it looks like the OSSC darkens the picture a bit.

that's it for now. i still can't set it up permanently because i need a better DVI->HDMI adapter.

Is it synced? Is the light green?

it was green, yeah. the only thing i can think of is that the wii's test suite's 240p output doesn't get along.

Galdelico

Great shots Madao.

I'm aware I'll be alone here, but I actually prefer the darker picture... It's not like blacks are crushed and details eaten away. It just looks more vibrant and pleasant to the eye.

televator

a comparison between a 480i vs 480p input into the OSSC:

also, here's a comparison between capturing the component cable output directly and passing it through the OSSC:

it looks like the OSSC darkens the picture a bit.

that's it for now. i still can't set it up permanently because i need a better DVI->HDMI adapter.

it was green, yeah. the only thing i can think of is that the wii's test suite's 240p output doesn't get along.

What color space are you getting on the OSSC output?

There's more ringing in the bottom sharpness test. Is that being line doubled or is it just 480i passthrough?

Drago

Ok so I'm gonna be buying a Framemeister from someone soon, only hold up is that it doesn't include the power supply. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement one that's guaranteed to work? In the US btw. I read one place that a PSP charging cable will work but then read in another that it wouldn't, anyone know?

Chinner

Banned
Need help, think I've fucked my BVM. Been screwing with the colour gains/bias, contrast and brightness and I've messed it up. It's pretty much has faded to black, ans I can only just make out a tiny part if I turn up the contrast or brightness right to top end.

Im not sure what I've done. Any ideas of sensible solutions I can make to undo my mess?

Edit: sometimes I can get the image back, but when I try to correct the image it just faded to black again. Not sure if it's overloading somewhere.

Edit: I can get the image back, but the colour is messed up unless I manually turn the brightness up.

Madao

What color space are you getting on the OSSC output?

There's more ringing in the bottom sharpness test. Is that being line doubled or is it just 480i passthrough?

i didn't check. i'll have to recheck when i test again.

the bottom sharpness pic was just 480p passthrough since i only tested passthrough for those 2 pics (no linedoubling in 480p).

Both of those are located in the US right? Sounds really unpractical for me, living in Europe, but I guess this is the route to go. Any easy way to get in touch with them? Would probably be easiest for me to buy a console and send it directly to them from Japan, no need to have it go through me just to be sent on for extra shipping (and possibly custom) costs.

Sorry I didn't realize you were in Europe. I wish I could help you with the mod scene there. Have you looked into Videogameperfection.com I know they don't have a listing for Duo-R/RX stuff but maybe contacting them and seeing if one of their modders could do it?

MattyH

am i missing a trick with dreamcast RGB ive got my PAL DC hooked up to my CRT and it looks really i wanna say "Murky" tried Crazy Taxi in 60hz (through the menu) and it doesnt look vibrant or colorful

MattyH

I'm gonna take a leap and assume that it is wired for composite. I don't trust most cables with dual formats.

yeah i brought it a few years ago as i needed a video cable only picked up a CRT recently and was slowly getting round to sorting my set up

Mega

Banned
^Yes.

i'm having a problem with the OSSC. when i put a 240p source, the resulting 480p signal is not visible on TV. do i need to change something for this?

Wii 240p Suite works fine for me. Do you have line triple mode enabled for 240p sources? Some displays can't handle that.

If GC Video improves output quality for Wii, I'm getting that asap. Wii is fine on a CRT, but the OSSC really makes it apparent how the PQ isn't the best. The Hi-Def NES spoiled me, it's much sharper. Although I'm sure NESRGB+OSSC would stand up to it.

bodine1231

Broke down and bought a Framemeister on eBay last night,I just couldnt deal with the bad geometry on my PVM anymore. I've been playing through Terranigma and the left and right sides of the screen are a squigly mess.

It was a good deal though, $340 shipped with both JP21 and Scart to XRGB cables an extra Scart Saturn cable and PS2 JP21 cable.

TeaJay

I tried putting myself on the mailing list for the OSSC over at Videogameperfection, but it just keeps saying "Sorry, that's not valid". One would figure a Gmail address would be valid?

Brhoom

Banned
Thinkg about selling my gaming PC to fuel my retro purchases, is it a smart move?

Did anyone here do it?

I do have a laptop capable of running light steam games.

StevieWhite

Thinkg about selling my gaming PC to fuel my retro purchases, is it a smart move?

Did anyone here do it?

If I had an extra computer, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. I find myself playing/enjoying modern releases less and less these days.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Did anyone here do it?

I wouldn't. Ya never know when the urge to play something on PC is going to strike, and a laptop is never going to be a proper substitute. Just seems like really short-term thinking.

Brhoom

Banned
If I had an extra computer, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. I find myself playing/enjoying modern releases less and less these days.

Same.

I wouldn't. Ya never know when the urge to play something on PC is going to strike, and a laptop is never going to be a proper substitute. Just seems like really short-term thinking.

Well the main reason I bought it is for VR, and now Resident Evil 7 is Sony VR exclusive for 1 year.

The second main reason was Emulation, and now I found out about this thread...

60 fps is really nice but...

Did anyone here do it?

PCs are useful for more than just playing games, especially with more horse power. Graphical processing, video processing, streaming, recording, etc.

And if you bought a gaming PC for emulation and VR, it's probably got a really nice processor to do those things with.

Brhoom

Banned
PCs are useful for more than just playing games, especially with more horse power. Graphical processing, video processing, streaming, recording, etc.

And if you bought a gaming PC for emulation and VR, it's probably got a really nice processor to do those things with.

It's a core i5 4690k gtx 970 PC

It's a core i5 4690k gtx 970 PC
Yeah, just hold on to it. You'll find a use for it even if you don't use it for emulation and games. Especially if you're getting in to video quality and hardware like this, since recording and capturing will require some horsepower. More over, emulation is still useful for example if you rip an ISO and want to test it, or want to compare color output or something.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And with specs that are mid-range like that, it's not going to be worth all that much used, really. Knowing that, I'm convinced it makes more sense to keep it.

Brhoom

Banned
Ok guys, I'll keep it.

As a student, I can spend on only one thing each month, I guess this will help with my patience.

Oh God, I hope the dude who wanted to sell his Framemesiter here with the english remote layout and dterminal adapter still has it by the end of December.

Crynox

Neo Member
Need help, think I've fucked my BVM. Been screwing with the colour gains/bias, contrast and brightness and I've messed it up. It's pretty much has faded to black, ans I can only just make out a tiny part if I turn up the contrast or brightness right to top end.

Im not sure what I've done. Any ideas of sensible solutions I can make to undo my mess?

Edit: sometimes I can get the image back, but when I try to correct the image it just faded to black again. Not sure if it's overloading somewhere.

Edit: I can get the image back, but the colour is messed up unless I manually turn the brightness up.

Just a long shot but check that the sync connection is good. My PVM faded to black and after a lot of faffing I found that the sync cable was faulty. It's got to be something simple as adjusting bias and gain is well within normal parameters.

Is there a reset to default option ?

Timu

You better have a 2nd PC!!!

Personally I would never, ever do it, in fact I just need a new graphics card to complete my gaming PC.

I just like modern games quite a bit, not on the level of retro games, but I still like a lot of genres and is interested in new things. Yeah the whole cinematic thing about modern games kinda suck in ways, but thankfully there's enough gameplay for me to enjoy to put up with that.

I will always keep buying new consoles every gen until the day I die.

Madao

i need some help from the Retro experts.

recently, i was digging up stuff in my room and came across these 2 things:

oypQiMc.jpg

DzC8uIB.jpg

i got them a long time ago before i knew anything about retro gaming. my reason to get them back then was to use my PC monitor since i didn't have an HD TV at the time.
i want to know if these things are any good at all and if they have any value. i want to sell them because the OSSC and FM make them redundant but if they aren't worth anything i might just toss them in the trash since they eat space.

^Yes.

Wii 240p Suite works fine for me. Do you have line triple mode enabled for 240p sources? Some displays can't handle that.

If GC Video improves output quality for Wii, I'm getting that asap. Wii is fine on a CRT, but the OSSC really makes it apparent how the PQ isn't the best. The Hi-Def NES spoiled me, it's much sharper. Although I'm sure NESRGB+OSSC would stand up to it.

i have line triple mode off because i had heard it wouldn't work with most TVs.
it's still puzzling me why line doubled 240p doesn't show in my setup.

from what i have read about GCVideo on Wii, it will bypass the Wii's crappy DAC which will give us picture quality comparable to GC at its best. it's similar to how UltraHDMI bypasses all analog circuits on N64.

Morfeo

Sorry I didn't realize you were in Europe. I wish I could help you with the mod scene there. Have you looked into Videogameperfection.com I know they don't have a listing for Duo-R/RX stuff but maybe contacting them and seeing if one of their modders could do it?

This sounds like a good idea, didnt realize videogameperfection where here in Europe. Thanks alot Shin Johnpv!

btw, did you participate in the nintendo-gaf chat we had the summer of 2012, with Acebandage, Emilyrogers and many other Nintendo-fans? Seems to remember your username from there.

Mega

Banned
Okay, think I have a really good Wii setup in terms of visual quality, the best I've managed on an HD display.

Running Wii Component to the OSSC and then into the USB3HDCAP connected to my PC. Using AmarecTV, I set res to 1440 x 960p and a borderless window at 100% scale in the middle of the desktop. This maintains the 960p integer scale of line-doubled Wii output and keeps even scanlines. The empty space around the window isn't bad on a 1080p panel, just like the output of modded HDMI consoles. For now I manually set a dark desktop but it would be nice to figure out how to add a black background with Amarec to cover my desktop (full screen mode resizes the video feed and breaks the 960p integer scale).

Setting Analog Sync LPF to 10MHz (medium filtering) removes the Wii's blurring (at least in some games I tested). When it works it reminds me of the UltraHDMI N64's de-blur. Guilty Gear looks perfect from what I can tell. Will post screencaps later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom