• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ugh, fuggin' lawyers and their discussions of ethics.

...whatever, let's do it.

My only real objection is when people are like "yeah, I have an Everdrive with every SNES game ever," like it's a badge of honor. You haven't earned anything by that or achieved anything impressive -- that sense of pride you feel is completely undeserved. Take the recently released Fire Emblem Fates SE -- the cart that has all 3 games on it that goes for like $300. If you have a like-minded friend who's into games, and you have that super rare cart, that's cool. You can delve into a discussion about how you snagged a copy before it sold out in 5 minutes, your friend can carefully take it off the shelf, terrified of accidentally damaging this showpiece item that's only going to be more valuable over time, etc. There'a story behind it. You could just download it, but then... who gives a shit? I don't. Other gamers don't. You shouldn't.

From an ethics standpoint, I'm pretty much with Peltz on this, in that I think that Nintendo, or whomever, has a right to their IP, but they should also have a responsibility to make those works available if they want to retain protection on it. Copyright isn't some sacred thing. Steps to abandon a copyright exist (though they're pretty outdated and not terribly relevant in today's world), because at some point, even the law acknowledges that protecting certain works is just silly. If someone ops to download Radical Dreamers to check it out with the fan translation, rather than shelling out $500 for a memory card from 1997 that happens to have the game saved on it (still in Japanese, mind you), I'm not terribly concerned with that. There's really no reasonable way to obtain that game -- it wasn't even sold properly in the first place.

For those games that are only available from resellers, for which the original developer gets no money (ie: basically every retro game)... I still feel like people should try to buy those things legitimately, even if the price is exorbitant. Yeah, prices on SNES games are stupid, and Saturn shmups just aren't attainable for most, but I think there's value in maintaining a healthy market for that stuff. I think a big part of the reason that people have taken note of retro gaming in the last 5 years is because there's been such a buzz about how those games sitting in your closet might be worth something. It makes people on the sidelines say, "wait a minute, these old games aren't just junk." And that's helped build out more and more of a community, as well as made some of the rarer games more readily available than they otherwise might have been.

Peltz

I think it's best to just move away from the piracy and ethics talk. Some do it, some don't. Some see it as harmful (downloading roms means you're less likely to buy VC or the Mini)... others don't see a problem (the bulk of real copy sales benefit resellers, not devs/publishers). It's been discussed to death and nothing new will be resolved this time. Each of us should just do as we please, live with it and move on.

My only interest in delving into NES Mini vs Everdrive vs Retroarch vs Wii vs Pi, etc., is learning which options perform best.

I'm definitely not trying to resolve anything. I just think the nuances are interesting. Chacranajxy's take is also an interesting one about the community aspect to it and the way we as a group value or (don't value) these works. There's something valuable about the story about each rare copy that goes beyond simply accessing ROM files and makes things more enjoyable/interesting/culturally significant.

Ugh, fuggin' lawyers and their discussions of ethics.

Lol... I am what I am :p

televator

I think it's best to just move away from the piracy and ethics talk. Some do it, some don't. Some see it as harmful (downloading roms means you're less likely to buy VC or the Mini)... others don't see a problem (the bulk of real copy sales benefit resellers, not devs/publishers). It's been discussed to death and nothing new will be resolved this time. Each of us should just do as we please, live with it and move on.

My only interest in delving into NES Mini vs Everdrive vs Retroarch vs Wii vs Pi, etc., is learning which options perform best.

I can dig it.

I'll +1 on "we just shouldn't talk about piracy." If you do that, fine. I used to, I don't any more. But it's seriously a detriment to a community that talks about buying games for someone to be like "why don't you just pirate that."

I will say that there's a lot of value in pirate tools for say longer term preservation of systems, backups, working around dying lasers, disc rot, region lock, using download games on real hardware (which I do a lot). So let's not jump on anyone for using an Everdrive or a modded system or even a Raspberry Pi with SNES9X 2xSal, much as I think that's "Retro Gaming Done Wrong".

My only real objection is when people are like "yeah, I have an Everdrive with every SNES game ever," like it's a badge of honor. You haven't earned anything by that or achieved anything impressive -- that sense of pride you feel is completely undeserved. Take the recently released Fire Emblem Fates SE -- the cart that has all 3 games on it that goes for like $300. If you have a like-minded friend who's into games, and you have that super rare cart, that's cool. You can delve into a discussion about how you snagged a copy before it sold out in 5 minutes, your friend can carefully take it off the shelf, terrified of accidentally damaging this showpiece item that's only going to be more valuable over time, etc. There'a story behind it. You could just download it, but then... who gives a shit? I don't. Other gamers don't. You shouldn't.

I'm still so glad I managed to get a copy of that Special Edition. I swear pre-orders went in literally 7 minutes.

TeaJay

your friend can carefully take it off the shelf, terrified of accidentally damaging this showpiece item that's only going to be more valuable over time

You know, this is one of those reasons I sold my - albeit meager - collection of original games and went all backups and flashcarts. (although I do want to buy a few originals of my all-time favourites) Even I was beginning to treat games more like collector items rather than... well, games. I kinda took a look at what I was doing and went the other way. I respect anyone who wants to collect the rarer titles in the best condition as possible but that's not for me anymore.

In a nutshell I just want to play some games on the original hardware, I'm not as big on collecting.

Flash carts are absolutely essential to me personally because I don't have time to deal with all of my physical carts when I just want to play a game for a few minutes in between life responsibilities. My first flash cart was the Cuttle Cart 2 for the Atari 7800, it plays all 2600 and 7800 cartridges. I bought it to play the 400 unique carts that I own for the 2600 without having to deal with digging them out, plain and simple.

But something that was also absolutely critical to me was the ability to play roms of hobbyist games from the community, released with the permission of the authors, often in the form of various in-progress development builds. I wanted to be able to play them on real hardware, not on Stella on my PC. It also let me play prototype builds of late-era 2600 games that were never released and which technically were never copyrighted or trademarked.

The second flash cart I bought was for the Gameboy Advance, and I bought it because trying to travel with the system and all my cartridges was a big hassle.

Flash carts have entirely legit purposes and should never be summarily dismissed as piracy devices.

Fularu

Banned
That's fair, I didn't know pi emulation sucked, and I agree that I'd use my Wii or my modded Xbox if I wanted to emulate but like you said it would involve pirating ROMs. Then again I don't think any one in this thread would do that given we all play on OG hardware. That being said it is a perfectly fine substitute for the general consumer which is what this is marketed towards.
We also all have everdrives for all our systems :p

Fallen92

We also all have everdrives for all our systems :p
Only for convenience sake of course ;P How else am I supposed to play my SNES JP FFV cart in English?
Speaking of which that is my main use of the everdrive. I have a couple of SFC carts that I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy if it weren't for a flashcard that I can use to patch the ROM.

Mega

Banned
Lol... I am what I am :p

You're a lawyer?!

But it's seriously a detriment to a community that talks about buying games for someone to be like "why don't you just pirate that."

Word. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to serious cash on a single game. It's their money. It's also not helpful to tell the person "it's $8 on the VC shop, it's 99 cents on Steam!" For some that's not an adequate alternative to owning an original physical copy and playing on real hardware!

My only real objection is when people are like "yeah, I have an Everdrive with every SNES game ever," like it's a badge of honor. You haven't earned anything by that or achieved anything impressive

Maybe I'm not picking up on the braggy stuff, but I don't see a lot of that around here. I personally see them as a convenience as Beer Monkey described above. My last played game was the Hyper Metroid romhack (highly recommend). And I recently finished Zero Mission, now halfway through Fusion on the GBA Everdrive... I own these but it's nice not to have to carry around individual carts. I used to be picky about what to carry on my daily commutes.

On the flip side, I don't think owning many games is an achievement in itself... moreso the content of the collection and how it came about. I admire more when someone has 80 well-maintained classics, hidden gems and personal favorites for a system vs ALL 900 TITLES jammed into shelves.

On a sort of related matter, the Switch being a hybrid system with a single library, and going back to a form of carts, is making me consider going for a split between digital and retail. I went almost fully digital with Wii U and 3DS and regret it a little.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You're a lawyer?!

We both are. It's cool.

Word. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to serious cash on a single game. It's their money. It's also not helpful to tell the person "it's $8 on the VC shop, it's 99 cents on Steam!" For some that's not an adequate alternative to owning an original physical copy and playing on real hardware!

Maybe I'm not picking up on the braggy stuff, but I don't see a lot of that around here. I personally see them as a convenience as Beer Monkey described above. My last played game was the Hyper Metroid romhack (highly recommend). And I recently finished Zero Mission, now halfway through Fusion on the GBA Everdrive... I own these but it's nice not to have to carry around individual carts. I used to be picky about what to carry on my daily commutes.

Nah, people around here aren't like that. RetroGAF is legit.

Brhoom

Banned
I bought Earthbound from the Wii U store, I'm not going to spend 150 dollars for the Snes version, call me a pirate and a thief, at least I won't be called stupid.

Voliko

I still use an old parallell port needing flash cart for SNES for translations. Booting up Radical Dreamers for the first time in english on my SNES was a dream come true

Mega

Banned
I bought Earthbound from the Wii U store, I'm not going to spend 150 dollars for the Snes version, call me a pirate and a thief, at least I won't be called stupid.

Why would anyone call you a thief for buying an official digital copy of a game?

And while there's no denying that some retro game prices have gotten out of hand, it's really unnecessary to call someone stupid for buying a game they want... with the exception if they overpay by a ton relative to other readily available cart copies.

Fularu

Banned
I still use an old parallell port needing flash cart for SNES for translations. Booting up Radical Dreamers for the first time in english on my SNES was a dream come true

I'm prety sure I threw away my Super UFO and my Super Wildcard when I got my Everdrive.

I almost regret it, they were neat little thing (I also had a MFG with both SNES and MD support, was prety rad when first translations started popping up for th Megadrive back in the late 90s)

That's not piracy. You would only be called out for misunderstanding the point of the conversation, not your purchase habits.

D.Lo

My only real objection is when people are like "yeah, I have an Everdrive with every SNES game ever," like it's a badge of honor. You haven't earned anything by that or achieved anything impressive -- that sense of pride you feel is completely undeserved.
That's exactly what I was saying.

It's the smug 'well you're dumb for buying that/those game(s) I have them for free' attitude. There is literally nothing clever about going to a rom site and downloading everything. Nerds have already cleanly packaged entire system libraries into a single zip file. And I've just been seeing so much of it with release of the NES/Famicom Mini all over the internet, reams of smug 'geniuses' telling everyone who pays for Super Mario bros they are an idiot because I got it for free.

(Fallen92 not speaking of yourself, I've been seeing a lot more aggressive versions of the attitude in most places I visit discussing the NES/Famicom Mini.)

Another argument I dislike but isn't quite as bad is "why did you buy those three games for $100, for that price you could have gotten an R4/Everdrive/Mod Chip and had all games". Once again, ignoring the fact that one of those options involves a form of stealing. It's the condescending attitude to someone collecting something they enjoy element I dislike more than the actual ethics part.

It's not that black and white and you know it. (Prepare for a discussion of piracy ethics and property law theories).

Different people have different preferences. I prefer original North American hardware (mostly). You prefer original Japanese hardware. Some people prefer Wii VC. And some prefer homebrewed emulators. All of these methods can play legitimately obtained games and all of them can play pirated ROMs... yes, even original hardware. If someone enjoys the UI of a Rasberry Pi, more power to them. Just pay for the games whenever possible.

But there are some circumstances where I feel ethically conflicted about whether piracy is wrong or (somewhat) acceptable:

I think it may only marginally unethical to pirate a game that is not available to be purchased on any Virtual Console or online service, rather than buying it second hand. For example, I will absolutely play a pirated version of BS-F-Zero2 because there is no way for me to legally obtain the ROM in a way that legitimately compensates Nintendo who is the only one who owns the rightful license.

Yes, I do think pirating it less ethical than tracking down a second hand Satellaview that has it saved to play on my Super Famicom. Why? Because only Nintendo should control the terms of who gets to play its software and under what conditions it deems appropriate. And most carts carry licenses that can only be transferred on a 1 to 1 basis. So accessing that software in an unauthorized way (e.g. priating it from a 3rd party source) does dilute Nintendo's ability to control the access. And, in that sense, it is similar to essentially trespassing on Nintendo's abandoned property, but in a harmless way that causes no actual damages.

So, how should we actually treat situations like this? The most ethical thing to do would be to simply accept the fact that the game is unavailable and not play it (e.g. do not trespass). That's actually what Nintendo prefers that we do and they should have the final say as the owners of the IP. It's also the most respectful solution to the problem.

But, are we really causing them legitimate damages by downloading it? Not really. Our trespass is akin to walking onto Nintendo's property to simply get a better view of what they've abandoned without breaking or taking anything on the property. Yes, they should be able to prevent us from doing that (I certainly wouldn't want people trespassing on my property without my consent), but it's not really the same thing as stealing or causing genuine damage.

If Nintendo wants us to pay for it, then maybe it is their responsibility to make it available. I think that actually enforcing any sort of action against piracy in situations like this may be unethical of them. But certainly, it is within their legal right and it is justified for them to have that right even if morally grey for them to exercise that right. (Again, I would want the legal right to prevent people from trespassing even if I don't plan to exercise it).

So for these situations, we do sit in a grey area. Some games are close to impossible to play without piracy or paying exorbitant prices. Nintendo should be able to prevent us from playing something they created and we really ought to respect that (but of course, many of us don't and I can't really blame them). Yet we also would be mad if they enforced actions against people who illegally obtain these types of games. So there's a bit of dissonance there.

Even if the law is clear on this (it's illegal), the ethics of piracy still have so many nuances to them that the law doesn't recognize. And it's, in my opinion, an ethically dissonant situation.
I don't disagree with any of this, but it wasn't the point I was making.

I have flash/backup devices for almost every system for connivence purposes, so I don't have to drag out the cart from my large collection (always inside a box protector inside a fragile often valuable cardboard box) every time I want to change game. On some systems (DS/GC/Wii/GBA) I ripped all the roms myself. Apart from checking out oddities like Satellaview games I choose not to ever play something I do not own, I have 1000+ games so I figure I do not need to go beyond that!

Brhoom

Banned
Why would anyone call you a thief for buying an official digital copy of a game?

And while there's no denying that some retro game prices have gotten out of hand, it's really unnecessary to call someone stupid for buying a game they want... with the exception if they overpay by a ton relative to other readily available cart copies.

I'm sorry, I was being defenseve.
That's not piracy. You would only be called out for misunderstanding the point of the conversation, not your purchase habits.

If I want to play the Snes version I would download it from the internet, I will not pay for a 20 years old game selling more than it's original price from someone who didn't even make the game .

Khaz

Technically, he would be. The only legitimate way for him would be to backup his WiiU copy and use that to play on his SNES. Having bought the game in some form doesn't allow you to download it in some other form: you are still obtaining a copy that someone else has illegally duplicated and distributed.

But realistically no one cares.

MattyH

I install the ps2 games I play most to a hard drive I have installed in my phat ps2 saves wear and tear on the discs in my collection

Fularu

Banned
That's exactly what I was saying.

It's the smug 'well you're dumb for buying that/those game(s) I have them for free' attitude. There is literally nothing clever about going to a rom site and downloading everything. Nerds have already cleanly packaged entire system libraries into a single zip file. And I've just been seeing so much of it with release of the NES/Famicom Mini all over the internet, reams of smug 'geniuses' telling everyone who pays for Super Mario bros they are an idiot because I got it for free.

(Fallen92 not speaking of yourself, I've been seeing a lot more aggressive versions of the attitude in most places I visit discussing the NES/Famicom Mini.)

Another argument I dislike but isn't quite as bad is "why did you buy those three games for $100, for that price you could have gotten an R4/Everdrive/Mod Chip and had all games". Once again, ignoring the fact that one of those options involves a form of stealing. It's the condescending attitude to someone collecting something they enjoy element I dislike more than the actual ethics part.

I don't disagree with any of this, but it wasn't the point I was making.

I have flash/backup devices for almost every system for connivence purposes, so I don't have to drag out the cart from my large collection (always inside a box protector inside a fragile often valuable cardboard box) every time I want to change game. On some systems (DS/GC/Wii/GBA) I ripped all the roms myself. Apart from checking out oddities like Satellaview games I choose not to ever play something I do not own, I have 1000+ games so I figure I do not need to go beyond that!
I confess I will try out a game first on my everdrive before dropping big money on it

Also I'm super hesitant now with MD games since repros are so easy to make and cost almost nothing.

Do i dream of owning a legit copy of Eliminate Down? Oh yes

Can I afford it? Not yet

Same goes for Rendering Ranger

Khaz

I confess I will try out a game first on my everdrive before dropping big money on it

Same

Also I'm super hesitant now with MD games since repros are so easy to make and cost almost nothing.

I'm super glad for the world of repros to exist. While I do find scummy the few of them who don't say that what they're selling isn't the original deal, They allow us to have access to a physical object holding the game we want to play without having to break the bank because the original 1989 edition is now ultra collector. I would like to see more reproduction makers be more imaginative with their labels and cases instead of simply duplicating the original artwork. But I can see the value of cheap photocopied stuff too: it's cheaply made, but it's a very affordable option for those who care about that.

Mega

Banned
Technically, he would be. The only legitimate way for him would be to backup his WiiU copy and use that to play on his SNES. Having bought the game in some form doesn't allow you to download it in some other form: you are still obtaining a copy that someone else has illegally duplicated and distributed.

But realistically no one cares.

He wasn't suggesting buying Earthbound on Wii U as justification for downloading an illegal rom to play on SNES.

He was saying he would prefer to buy Earthbound on Wii U and be called a thief than be called stupid for spending $150 for a real SNES copy.

Khaz

He wasn't suggesting buying Earthbound on Wii U as justification for downloading an illegal rom to play on SNES.

He was saying he would prefer to buy Earthbound on Wii U and be called a thief than be called stupid for spending $150 for a real SNES copy.

Oh ok. The reasoning was weird, why would anyone call someone a thief for buying an authorised copy from the official Nintendo digital store?

Fularu

Banned
Same

I'm super glad for the world of repros to exist. While I do find scummy the few of them who don't say that what they're selling isn't the original deal, They allow us to have access to a physical object holding the game we want to play without having to break the bank because the original 1989 edition is now ultra collector. I would like to see more reproduction makers be more imaginative with their labels and cases instead of simply duplicating the original artwork. But I can see the value of cheap photocopied stuff too: it's cheaply made, but it's a very affordable option for those who care about that.
But honestly repros are just a different form of piracy.

May as well just play them on the everdrive or buy them in bulk on taobao

Brhoom

Banned

Sorry if I worded it wrong. I ment that I will pirate the Snes version and play it on my Snes (I don't own one btw)

I bought the leaglly avaliable version which is the Wii U version, I will not pay 150$ for the Snes cart.

Madao

i think that, as long as your own the game in some form, having roms of it is fine.

like, i own a copy of F-Zero X (i own 5 actually but let's say 1 for the example). i should have all the rights to copy that rom to an everdrive and use it more conveniently since i have the cart. of course i wouldn't upload it or share it anywhere but i should be able to do it whatever i want with the equipment that i own.

i do have an everdrive put the games i've loaded there are the ones i already have. it's helpful if you want to hack the games since you can't rewrite a rom easily or sometimes it's not even possible but by ripping it, you can edit it and then play back using everdrive or an emulator without much issues (other than the game breaking itself by hacking it too much).

also, if the guy buys Earthbound on Wii VC and then rips the rom with homebrew to use it on his SNES + everdrive, where does that fall into? the way VC works on Wii U, you can play those ripped roms on original hardware easily if you own a flashcart. it isn't like Wii VC where extracting a rom was complicated and a mess.

How do you figure?

If I only own a Genesis and want to play a hard copy of Alien Soldier, I can pay 500 bucks for it off eBay, along with a Mega Drive and whatever else I need, or buy a compatible reproduction cart for 30. License holders for that game don't receive a penny either way, so I don't see the equivalency.

Brhoom

Banned
One of the first things I plan to do with the Framemeister is to see what Resident Evil 3 version looks best.

Ps1 240p with scanlines

Or

Gamecube 480i

Or

Gamecube with 480p forced

Din't spoil it for me!!! I want to do my own research on this subject!!!.

Khaz

We consume our media differently then ;)

I need my physical object. Taking the case from the shelf, inserting the cartridge into the console and playing it is so much different to me than selecting a ROM in a list on the everdrive. It makes me commit a lot more to my playing session, whereas when I just have a list of games I just hop from one to the other endlessly, never to spend more than a few minutes on each. With each game on a different cartridge, slightly out of reach, I can focus more on what I'm doing now instead of the knowledge of having everything available and just waiting to be played distracting me forever.

Plus having it well made, like some reproductions are, is also really pleasing. Opening the box you know you're in for a treat. To me it doesn't matter if the game was printed by SEGA or by Joe Shmo, as long as Joe did a fine job with his edition.

Madao

my ultimate retro gamer dream would be for someone to make a reproduction cart of my F-Zero X rom hack that contains the tracks i made with the Expansion Kit.
i'd even pay what a FZX cart costed brand new back when it released.

Peltz

my ultimate retro gamer dream would be for someone to make a reproduction cart of my F-Zero X rom hack that contains the tracks i made with the Expansion Kit.
i'd even pay what a FZX cart costed brand new back when it released.

What's in your hack?

Kawika

Ad Infinitum topic. There is no advancement in this subject ever. People have their own opinions about what retro gaming means to them. Usually collectors jump down the throats of down loaders and call them pirates and what not. ED/Rom users will say that collectors are morons and are stupid for paying ludicrous prices for games that devs/pubs aren't making any money on. Pragmatic person has both and justifies it somehow. Topic continues for days and no new insight is gained.

Do what makes you happy and lets move away from this topic.

televator

I install the ps2 games I play most to a hard drive I have installed in my phat ps2 saves wear and tear on the discs in my collection

I did that on my Xbox, but jebus, I'm just too goddamn lazy to do it to my PS2. The worst thing is that I already heave all the hardware to do it, and I still put it off. lol!

Ashby

For Thanksgiving this year I'm thankful that I have a PVM, a PC Engine, and the cables to make it RGB-capable. I hope those who have yet to be blessed with RGB in your lives will be soon!

televator

One of the first things I plan to do with the Framemeister is to see what Resident Evil 3 version looks best.

Ps1 240p with scanlines

Or

Gamecube 480i

Or

Gamecube with 480p forced

Din't spoil it for me!!! I want to do my own research on this subject!!!.

Afaik, even on PS1, RE3 has a dynamic res (switches resolutions between 240p and 480i).

Brhoom

Banned
Since I hope I get the Framemeister before 2017, here is my plan for 2017:

1- AVS NES, not worth it to send the NES and mod it.

2- Ultrahdmi 64, I hope.

3- PS1, I have a PS2 but having a PSIO is really helpful.

4- Snes, My friend is willing to give me his for free, I hope it's a 1-chip unit

5- OLED TV ( unlikely but I can dream )

Timu

We consume our media differently then ;)

I need my physical object. Taking the case from the shelf, inserting the cartridge into the console and playing it is so much different to me than selecting a ROM in a list on the everdrive. It makes me commit a lot more to my playing session, whereas when I just have a list of games I just hop from one to the other endlessly, never to spend more than a few minutes on each. With each game on a different cartridge, slightly out of reach, I can focus more on what I'm doing now instead of the knowledge of having everything available and just waiting to be played distracting me forever.

Plus having it well made, like some reproductions are, is also really pleasing. Opening the box you know you're in for a treat. To me it doesn't matter if the game was printed by SEGA or by Joe Shmo, as long as Joe did a fine job with his edition.
This is totally the opposite experience for me. I actually spend more time on games as well even with a list.

Ad Infinitum topic. There is no advancement in this subject ever. People have their own opinions about what retro gaming means to them. Usually collectors jump down the throats of down loaders and call them pirates and what not. ED/Rom users will say that collectors are morons and are stupid for paying ludicrous prices for games that devs/pubs aren't making any money on. Pragmatic person has both and justifies it somehow. Topic continues for days and no new insight is gained.

Do what makes you happy and lets move away from this topic.
Yep, agreed, good arguments were had though.

Afaik, even on PS1, RE3 has a dynamic res (switches resolutions between 240p and 480i).
Oh god, that sucks.

Indeed. We're into the holiday season now so let's start thinking about our 2017 retro gaming plans! I plan on getting my NES RGB modded and hopefully an OSSC! What are your 2017 retro gaming plans?
Need to get my PVM repaired! Maybe even in time for Christmas.

Fularu

Banned
How do you figure?

If I only own a Genesis and want to play a hard copy of Alien Soldier, I can pay 500 bucks for it off eBay, along with a Mega Drive and whatever else I need, or buy a compatible reproduction cart for 30. License holders for that game don't receive a penny either way, so I don't see the equivalency.

Then make your own repro. Blank MD carts are just 7$ anyway. Why pay someone for it since you can do it all by yourself for much cheaper anyway?

Then make your own repro. Blank MD carts are just 7$ anyway. Why pay someone for it since you can do it all by yourself for much cheaper anyway?

Because I'd rather pay somebody else to do it for me. Also, if somebody is putting more time and effort to make a product that looks, feels, and plays like an authentic one, I'd rather support their endeavor than half ass it myself.

Fularu

Banned
Because I'd rather pay somebody else to do it for me. Also, if somebody is putting more time and effort to make a product that looks, feels, and plays like an authentic one, I'd rather support their endeavor than half ass it myself.

I'll be honest, most repros I've seen of MD games are bottom tier trash with black and white manuals, badly placed artworks, wrong labels and co. But yeah, if the work is good, why not (As I said, I would probably go for a repro of V-Five or Eleminate Down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom