• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krelian

So how much would a PAL NGC with some way of using GBI run me these days? I've been wanting to play gamecube and gameboy games recently and realized I don't have a great solution for recording either at the moment, though I do have a wii.
I was gonna say dirt cheap but I guess prices have increased a bit since the last time I looked. If the bare console is enough, it should still not be more expensive than €20, plus another €20 for the Game Boy player if you don't have one yet. That is without shipping though.

Edit: You'd still be missing a way to use GBI. I hope someone else can help out here because I'm not too knowledgable on this subject.

Madao

I was gonna say dirt cheap but I guess prices have increased a bit since the last time I looked. If the bare console is enough, it should still not be more expensive than €20, plus another €20 for the Game Boy player if you don't have one yet. That is without shipping though.

Edit: You'd still be missing a way to use GBI. I hope someone else can help out here because I'm not too knowledgable on this subject.

if he has a Wii with homebrew and the correct GC game, it's possible to install a hacked save game for said game in the memory card and then use it on the GC to load up GBI. this bypasses the need to mod the GC or buy a SDML since those are rare now.

the most popular games that have this type of exploit are SSBM, TWW and TP (GC). there's more games but i don't remember which ones atm.

one thing that could get in the way is the price of these games. as with most old Nintendo stuff, it goes for quite a penny. it might be easier to get a SDML depending on circumstances (i believe the PAL version is still in stock)

edit: is it possible to make the OSSC output in limited color space? it doesn't match all the other devices i have plugged and that interferes with how i have things set up.

Galdelico

Not sure this is more AV or just Retro related... In case, I'll move my question to the correct thread.

Can vertical shmups on the Saturn/PS1/PS2 be TATE'd clockwise and counterclockwise? It's probably a very dumb question, but right now I can't check it out with any game in my collection, as I'm away for a while.
Basically, I'll be buying a new gaming monitor soon, exclusively for my retro-setup, and I'm specifically looking for a model that can be rotated, in order to finally fully enjoy my vertical shooters. Point is, I just realized all these monitors seem to be pivotable 90° clockwise only, whereas every TATE video I've watched so far shows the Saturn and the PS1 in action 90° counterclockwise.
I know more recent games (on the 360 and PS3) allow the screen to be rotated in both directions, but I'm clueless about the older ones.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Not sure this is more AV or just Retro related... In case, I'll move my question to the correct thread.

Can vertical shmups on the Saturn/PS1/PS2 be TATE'd clockwise and counterclockwise? It's probably a very dumb question, but right now I can't check it out with any game in my collection, as I'm away for a while.
Basically, I'll be buying a new gaming monitor soon, exclusively for my retro-setup, and I'm specifically looking for a model that can be rotated, in order to finally fully enjoy my vertical shooters. Point is, I just realized all these monitors seem to be pivotable 90° clockwise only, whereas every TATE video I've watched so far shows the Saturn and the PS1 in action 90° counterclockwise.
I know more recent games (on the 360 and PS3) allow the screen to be rotated in both directions, but I'm clueless about the older ones.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

It depends on the game, I think, but the majority I have are counter clockwise only.

Einhandr

A few months back I embarked on the same journey to play GBA/GBC games in RGB. A barebones PAL cube with no cables cost me roughly $20 plus another $20 to ship. I already had a US power cable and controller so those were free. The SCART cable for PAL cube cost me another $20 or so from retro_console_accessories. Then you need a way to run homebrew from an SD card. If
You already have an action replay then you just need and SD card adapter which will
run you like $6 maybe. Or you can buy a action replay media manager kit which will have everything you need for probably another $20.

Mega

Banned
AmaRecTV seems completely unable to maintain integer scale in full screen mode... tried all options but the image always scales to the full vertical size of the display. And in window mode it adds an annoying black border to the top and bottom of everything so that all of the OSSC/Wii capture is scaled below 480p (below 960p in line double mode). NSMBW for example is like 684x456. It's scaled down proportionately from 720x480 so nothing is distorted, but still... that's silly and unnecessarily makes the image smaller than it needs to be on the TV.

I come to find out MPC-HC can display capture devices... it displays without any weird border and the output stays at 960p even in full screen mode. Picture quality and lag seem about the same. If I can't find better software I'm sticking with this since I'm only using it for playing with the occasional snapshot and not for advanced recording features.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have a cheap chinese garbage TV (TCL) with a shitty upscaler that only has HDMI and Component inputs. The component inputs seem to carry composite if you plug it in right. Currently I have my N64 plugged in to the Component input. The upscaling is honestly atrocious, the worst I've ever seen. I mostly just use the N64 to play Mario Party and Mario Kart and 1080 with my wife.

Looking at my options, it seems the N64 sucks hard when it comes to video output. The chart suggests the best I can do with an unmodded system is S-Video. I'm not inherently against getting a system modded to do HDMI.

But in the mean time, is there something I can do with S-Video, noting that my TV doesn't have S-Video? Is there a cheap, ideally passive, S-Video to Component output converter? Will this even help stuff not look like garbage?

Looking for a stick PC recommendation I can put in my pocket and bring to work and get through the front door on the down low. I was using a pi, but it isn't powerful enough for N64, so I switched to a Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300.

It only has one USB port, but I have a hub and a microUSB charger at work, so that's no big deal. This is able to play Phantasy Star Online and N64 and it's about $99. Anything better out there that has HDMI for on-the-go emulation?

Mega

Banned
I have a cheap chinese garbage TV (TCL) with a shitty upscaler that only has HDMI and Component inputs. The component inputs seem to carry composite if you plug it in right. Currently I have my N64 plugged in to the Component input. The upscaling is honestly atrocious, the worst I've ever seen. I mostly just use the N64 to play Mario Party and Mario Kart and 1080 with my wife.

Looking at my options, it seems the N64 sucks hard when it comes to video output. The chart suggests the best I can do with an unmodded system is S-Video. I'm not inherently against getting a system modded to do HDMI.

But in the mean time, is there something I can do with S-Video, noting that my TV doesn't have S-Video? Is there a cheap, ideally passive, S-Video to Component output converter? Will this even help stuff not look like garbage?

For the N64, the best option, in terms of cost and picture quality, is to get a decent CRT with S-video. Anything comparable involves an expensive upscaler or the expensive UltraHDMI mod. A signal converter will do nothing for the picture quality as you will still have to contend with your display's horrible 240p/480i upscaling of the N64's blurry picture (which makes the upscaling even more challenging and ugly).

If you're up for buying a new monitor and don't mind a smaller set, this is a great one I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-A13S...707217?hash=item23765db1d1:g:tbIAAOSwKOJYIPDr

Here's how N64 looks on it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206336524&postcount=528

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I figured the awful upconversion from my cheap TV would be the problem. Thanks. I'll probably try to get an UltraHDMI mod some time next year.

Brhoom

Banned
I figured the awful upconversion from my cheap TV would be the problem. Thanks. I'll probably try to get an UltraHDMI mod some time next year.

"Next year"

giphy.gif

Good luck.

Exeunt

My 2017 retro gaming plans are:

Get more Sega Saturn games

Maybe get an retrousb AVS

A new capture card to do literally everything(mine does most things)

To get an alternative to the Sync Strike for RGB capture, like scart female to female and then scart to vga(already have a scart adapter with audio out)

Since I already have a N64 everdrive, I may look into some others

If possible, a framemeister(50/50 chance though)

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for an alternative to the Sync Strike? I've been looking into RGB capture for my SNES, and it sounded like one of the best options was SCART into Sync Strike to a capture card. Is there a superior alternative, or do you just want a simpler setup?

Galdelico

It depends on the game, I think, but the majority I have are counter clockwise only.

Oh man, I was super excited to be finally able to enjoy my shmups in TATE mode - after decades of being unable to move/flip around monster CRTs - and now that most new monitors have that feature built in, seem like they can only be rotated in the wrong direction.

desk_flip.jpg

That's actually pretty hilarious. :D

"Next year"

https://media.giphy.com/media/3qCAEK81WHzHwJrd6w/giphy.gif [ /img]

Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Availability doesn't seem to be a big issue, I don't understand your comment
[quote="Galdelico, post: 225661654"]Oh man, I was super excited to be finally able to enjoy my shmups in TATE mode - after decades of being unable to move/flip around monster CRTs - and now that most new monitors have that feature built in, I find out they can only be rotated in the wrong direction.

[IMG]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/725/desk_flip.jpg [ /IMG]

That's actually pretty hilarious. :D[/QUOTE]
some monitors have the option to flip the image.

Timu

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for an alternative to the Sync Strike? I've been looking into RGB capture for my SNES, and it sounded like one of the best options was SCART into Sync Strike to a capture card. Is there a superior alternative, or do you just want a simpler setup?
Simpler, something like this:

This is also a far cheaper alternative as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sync Strike and it works perfectly well. But that cheaper alternative is also useful from what I heard plus the vga to scart cable is said to do 480p on a framemiester for dreamcast games so that's a good reason as well.

Exeunt

Simpler, something like this:

This is also a far cheaper alternative as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sync Strike and it works perfectly well. But that cheaper alternative is also useful from what I heard plus the vga to scart cable is said to do 480p on a framemiester for dreamcast games so that's a good reason as well.

I see. Cheaper is definitely a compelling argument when conversion to Canadian dollars is factored in, so I'll make a note of this. Thanks!

Timu

I see. Cheaper is definitely a compelling argument when conversion to Canadian dollars is factored in, so I'll make a note of this. Thanks!
Yeah you can get them for like 30 bucks or lower for all 3 whereas you'll have to pay like 70+ bucks for the sync strike.

If I wanted to jump in on PC Engine stuff, what is the go-to console? I would really only be getting it to play Rondo of Blood, so if I can avoid paying 500 bucks for an "RGB/HDMI, region free, etc." modded system, I'd like to. As I understand it, it's easy enough to get a cable that outputs RGB, so I should be set on that end.

If I wanted to jump in on PC Engine stuff, what is the go-to console? I would really only be getting it to play Rondo of Blood, so if I can avoid paying 500 bucks for an "RGB/HDMI, region free, etc." modded system, I'd like to. As I understand it, it's easy enough to get a cable that outputs RGB, so I should be set on that end.

PC Engine is such a mess of hardware.

The easiest thing to do is get a PC Engine Duo R or RX, which are more reliable and include the CD w/ System Card 3.0 built in. But these don't output RGB so you need to do a relatively simple mod to add it in.

Your easiest option will probably be to get a pc engine duo. I bought a pc engine and broken cd rom 2 and saved a lot of money by fixing the gears myself.

Be ready to drop lots of cash no matter what option you take.

Your easiest option will probably be to get a pc engine duo. I bought a pc engine and broken cd rom 2 and saved a lot of money by fixing the gears myself.

I thought about doing this but then you still need to get an interface unit which are stupid priced, you need to worry about capacitors being poor quality in the CD unit, and then you still need to RGB mod of the interface unit anyway (or maybe buy a pre-modded IFU). Plus getting system cards which are kind of expensive on their own.

The full briefcase setup does look hot, though.

Be ready to drop lots of cash no matter what option you take.

It doesn't have to be too bad. If you can get a Duo R or RX in Japan for around 20k to 25k yen, and then RGB mod it's not... yeah I mean yeah that's still pretty expensive OK.

Madao

I don't think I could bring myself to pay 400$+ for a console.

you need a special mindset to fully get in the retro train.

i spent like $500 on a 64DD and the F-Zero X Expansion Kit and that was the only game worth playing in it. the rest were pretty much curiosities.

If all you want is Rondo I recommend a Wii. It seems perfect to me on VC in 240p over component.

I thought about doing this but then you still need to get an interface unit which are stupid priced, you need to worry about capacitors being poor quality in the CD unit, and then you still need to RGB mod of the interface unit anyway (or maybe buy a pre-modded IFU). Plus getting system cards which are kind of expensive on their own.

The full briefcase setup does look hot, though.

It doesn't have to be too bad. If you can get a Duo R or RX in Japan for around 20k to 25k yen, and then RGB mod it's not... yeah I mean yeah that's still pretty expensive OK.

That's very true. When I bought my interface unit, it was practically free. I think I paid about $40 for it and the cd drive. I still need to get it modded though.

I can't find it anywhere, and some issue prevented the restock of November, and even if they manage to restock, it would be gone in a minute.

Follow retrofixes and badassconsoles on twitter. They're usually really good about letting people know when they'll be getting a restock and when it goes up on their sites. The November restock didn't happen because the boards that came in ended up being bad.

There's lots of models of PC Engines out there some with and without CD playing functionality. None of them output RGB natively. The RGB mod is not a difficult or expensive one.

The Duo-R/RXs are the most reliable, but also the most expensive. Honestly there's no cheap option. You could go core grafx or core grafx II with a briefcase setup, but that's probably going to run you close to a Duo. Duo's are the middle ground price wise for the system but you're probably going to need to get it recapped. Which will probably be around 75 bucks.

There's lots of models of PC Engines out there some with and without CD playing functionality. None of them output RGB natively. The RGB mod is not a difficult or expensive one.

The Duo-R/RXs are the most reliable, but also the most expensive. Honestly there's no cheap option. You could go core grafx or core grafx II with a briefcase setup, but that's probably going to run you close to a Duo. Duo's are the middle ground price wise for the system but you're probably going to need to get it recapped. Which will probably be around 75 bucks.

75 for a recap? I haven't had to recap a PC engine but I have recapped things and done a lot more complicated soldering projects before (my Genesis is overclocked for example). It's a pretty easy project to learn how to use a soldering iron and parts, including the iron which is incredibly useful, should be a lot less than that. Don't waste your money paying someone else to replace your capacitors.

It wouldn't be a waste of money for me to have the console optimized for picture output out of the box.

In any case, sounds like Duos are the way to go, I'll continue looking into them.

75 for a recap? I haven't had to recap a PC engine but I have recapped things and done a lot more complicated soldering projects before (my Genesis is overclocked for example). It's a pretty easy project to learn how to use a soldering iron and parts, including the iron which is incredibly useful, should be a lot less than that. Don't waste your money paying someone else to replace your capacitors.

Yeah a PCEDuo recap isn't that easy. It's a lot of caps, and because many of them were leaking right out of the factory you have the chance of the contacts on the board being corroded and fucked. Plus if I remember right there's like 71 caps that have to be replaced on the board, checked for corrosion, the board fixed if contacts are fucked. So 75 bucks to cover that and all the caps seems pretty fair to me.

Yeah a PCEDuo recap isn't that easy. It's a lot of caps, and because many of them were leaking right out of the factory you have the chance of the contacts on the board being corroded and fucked. Plus if I remember right there's like 71 caps that have to be replaced on the board, checked for corrosion, the board fixed if contacts are fucked. So 75 bucks to cover that and all the caps seems pretty fair to me.

71? I'd probably pay someone to deal with that too :D

Eh, I'm really more interested in going the authentic route, even if it isn't as convenient. Also, I cannot justify owning both a Wii U and Wii.

The Wii and Wii U are so different to me since the Wii U can't output integer scaled Wii Virtual Console, but I appreciate your desire to go authentic even though I wouldn't for one game.

I owned a Duo-RX all throughout the 90s, and Rondo. Should have kept them both, but when I tried to nitpick Rondo on the Wii I failed. I thought I'd be able to at least detect some horizontal scaling artifacts but I couldn't...shouldn't really be surprised since it uses the same 256 horizontal display mode as the NES.

On the other hand, Jeremy Parrish bought a recapped RGB Duo this summer and it already died on him. So be careful.

IrishNinja

And nothing is forever.

Buy it, play it, sell it on

...is what I tend to do.

god yes, a local gaffer i know is constantly worried about dying hardware...i'm just gonna play this stuff till the wheels fall off
not gonna lie, if this modded saturn & model 1 sega-CD go i may openly weep

I have an Omega cMVS, this is nothing.

GET ON MY LEVEL BRO

/s

god, so jelly...sexy ass system!

Mega

Banned
I have an Omega cMVS, this is nothing.

GET ON MY LEVEL BRO

/s

I have two of some consoles (some modded $$$) for playing on CRT or HDTV as desired. It hasn't been easy on the wallet... but still worth it!

I have a CMVS and have been eyeing that NeoSD flashcart. Razoola on the NG forums confirmed it's 100% legit... really want but it's expensive ($400~) and I've eased up my video game spending lately. I treated myself to the OSSC and Mist FPGA console for Christmas and that's it as far as significant spending for a while.

By the way, I hope you play more than just Rondo on your new Duo. It has a lot of good games and it would be silly to neglect them for one game!

Madao

anyone knows if it's possible to change the color space the OSSC outputs at? my setup has everything set to limited but the OSSC seems to do full only and that makes it look too dark.

Galdelico

anyone knows if it's possible to change the color space the OSSC outputs at? my setup has everything set to limited but the OSSC seems to do full only and that makes it look too dark.

As briefly as I tested it out, no, I didn't see anything to mess around with gamma/color space. But please, wait for some more in depth reply on that matter.

Speaking of which, I just found out - thanks to a poster at SHMUPS forums - that 'Save settings' doesn't look like it's saving anything in Advanced timing tweaker. I was under the impression that there was something odd going on, since my Mega Drive games required to be centered every time I turned the OSSC off and on again, at least now I understand why.
Anyone here figured out if it's actually possible to save those settings as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom