• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narroo

Get a decent pair of desktop speakers and you're set with stereo sound. Don't bother with the mono sound from the tiny PVM speaker.

I just use one of those mini Bluetooth speakers since they all can take an auxiliary cord. Things like the Echo or JBL Flip3. Great sound and highly mobile and flexible.

IMG_0416_1.jpg

I think you're missing the point here. This is supposed to be a convince thing. I'm not buying a $200 sound bar or anything like that. (Also, from my current use, with just one red audio lead hooked up, the mono speaker actually works pretty well.)

Mega

Banned
I think you're missing the point here. This is supposed to be a convince thing. I'm not buying a $200 sound bar or anything like that. (Also, from my current use, with just one red audio lead hooked up, the mono speaker actually works pretty well.)

You're willing to settle on mono sound from an old, inferior and tiny speaker? Games beyond the NES are in stereo and meant to be heard that way. These aren't lossless recordings of a symphony orchestra either, so a cheap pair of Logitech speakers will do a nice job and easily best the crappy built-in PVM mono sound. There are speakers ranging from as little as $10 on Amazon.

televator

A "convincing thing?" A lot of TVs had stereo. Many other people had big stand up speakers. If low quality = authentic to you, then you might as well start by dumping the PVM and going RF into an LCD. A PVM was not even $200 back when they were the broadcast standard. In terms of quality and "authenticity" a PVM is a Ferrari and $200 sound bar is a Dodge Neon. How's the PVM more convincing than a decent audio set up to you?

Yes Boss!

I just offered up a very convenient solution. There are nice little sound portable boxes that are less then $50. Just throwing it out there...and perhaps you might even already have one sitting around.

In your scenario with just using the mono speaker then at the very least I would get a simple two-lead adapter to at least get both left and rights into the mono. Only my small PVMs actually have a speaker...the larger PVMs and PGMs don't.

A PVM speaker is substantially worse than those in any of the TVs that I ever played a console on when younger, so certainly not authentic. :)

Sweeeeet.
I have an SHVC CPU 01. My understanding is it has the cleanest audio out of the OG SNES versions, but loses out to the 1chip on picture quality.
I looked around for a 1chip but ended up picking up an SNES mini instead with the intent to RGB mod it. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.
me too. i have a mini sitting around for a year so i guess i got lazy.

Lucky you...
I jsut bought a UN03 Snes, asked the buyer if I can open it and he refused.
It's not a 1chip Snes.
yeah, that sucks. are you looking to get a mini to mod it?
I found one at a local place and I paid 25 for it and I got lucky.
usSjE5H.jpg
wow congrats, i got mine as a set w/ oem controller, oem adaptor/ wire for 79. which is decent. i needed a second controller so it worked out.
Is it legitimately getting harder to get a good condition SNES or is the price bubble just idiots gouging?
i think 1chips ppl are trying to over charge on ebay for like 100 for the console no cables or controller. but locally if they don't know the difference you can get lucky or grab a snes mini is still pretty cheap.

I've never seen a bad condition SNES mini and though it requires a mod, the RGB output is the best, so I'd suggest looking for one of those. I got a modded one off eBay for like 30 bucks.
wow modded already for 30 bucks? that's unheard of. i got my mini for 30 bucks but it wasn't modded. the only thing is there's a bunch of KO mini's that don't have a 1chip so people have to be careful and look at the signs. a few people i know got fakes ones. i believe one was a retro GAFer.

You're willing to settle on mono sound from an old, inferior and tiny speaker? Games beyond the NES are in stereo and meant to be heard that way. These aren't lossless recordings of a symphony orchestra either, so a cheap pair of Logitech speakers will do a nice job and easily best the crappy built-in PVM mono sound. There are speakers ranging from as little as $10 on Amazon.

A "convincing thing?" A lot of TVs had stereo. Many other people had big stand up speakers. If low quality = authentic to you, then you might as well start by dumping the PVM and going RF into an LCD. A PVM was not even $200 back when they were the broadcast standard. In terms of quality and "authenticity" a PVM is a Ferrari and $200 sound bar is a Dodge Neon. How's the PVM more convincing than a decent audio set up to you?

agree with Mega and televator, get a cheap pair of pc speakers helps tremendously. but it's up to you.

empo

I got a SFC 1chip from browsing yamatoku's auctions on ebay. I just went through the auctions every day and put those with the right serial numbers on my watch list.
It took a while but I won one in excellent condition with 2 controllers for $34. Granted the shipping was $29 but it still felt like a decent deal.
cMpxVjJl.jpg

Mega

Banned

I think he meant it's a convenience thing, hence not wanting to drop $200 on it...?

Still, everyone has $10-20 in their budget for a decent pair of stereo speakers. The audio fidelity of these old consoles doesn't call for too much more than that.

Madao

back in the late 90s i used cheap PC speakers with my consoles and they sounded better than the TV speakers by a lot and those were regular TV speakers, not these mono joke speakers in the PVMs. these speakers didn't even come with a dedicated subwoofer (i remember those were rectangular sized white speakers plugged with a phone style cord)

you can get decent stuff with low prices. just like capture cards, you don't have to go all the way to the top to get the good stuff. there's some good stuff in the lower tiers if you look hard enough.

if i used the CRT i have more, i'd hook up some speakers like those to it but i have it collecting dust.

Kawika

As an owner of a Framemeister, a PVM and Bvm I'm starting to get over the CRT craze. I spent a significant amount of time getting my BVMF1U and when I finally got it I was impressed but not blown away like I'd thought I'd be. Dialing it and letting it settle into its new home the screen got better over a few days. I've been replaying some SNES classic RPGs and I got sick of playing them on the CRT and just booted up my xrgb and played them on my HDTV. I have an analogue Nt w/ HDMI and I find myself using that way more than my NES on my PVM.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the only reason I'm keeping my CRTs these days are tricky platformers and scanline quality. I'm really hoping the OSSC is the answer to games with input lag. I hope I'm on the next group so I can see for myself.

Anyone else feel this way?

Mega

Banned
back in the late 90s i used cheap PC speakers with my consoles and they sounded better than the TV speakers by a lot and those were regular TV speakers, not these mono joke speakers in the PVMs. these speakers didn't even come with a dedicated subwoofer (i remember those were rectangular sized white speakers plugged with a phone style cord)

Oh you just reminded me of how I was kinda blown away back in the day with Age of Empires and StarCraft and the audio coming from the stock Compaq Presario speakers. Those were for sure better than the sound from my TV.

As an owner of a Framemeister, a PVM and Bvm I'm starting to get over the CRT craze. I spent a significant amount of time getting my BVMF1U and when I finally got it I was impressed but not blown away like I'd thought I'd be. Dialing it and letting it settle into its new home the screen got better over a few days. I've been replaying some SNES classic RPGs and I got sick of playing them on the CRT and just booted up my xrgb and played them on my HDTV. I have an analogue Nt w/ HDMI and I find myself using that way more than my NES on my PVM.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the only reason I'm keeping my CRTs these days are tricky platformers and scanline quality. I'm really hoping the OSSC is the answer to games with input lag. I hope I'm on the next group so I can see for myself.

Anyone else feel this way?

Don't blame you. If I had waited a couple years and had existing options like 4K OLED with sub 30ms lag, FPGA consoles, HDMI mods, OSSC, etc, I'm not entirely sure I would have bothered with the CRTs. Which CRTs do you own? I suggest trying a good consumer/prosumer CRT at least. The BVMs can be dim and underwhelming at conveying that CRT/glow effect. And it sucks in normal room lighting, too reflective and low contrast so I only play it in a dark room.

Lay persons who see my setup with multiple screens on at once have commented that the 20F1U looks the worst and my cheap JVC TM-A13SU is best: a lot brighter, bloomier and more colorful.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh you just reminded me of how I was kinda blown away back in the day with Age of Empires and StarCraft and the audio coming from the stock Compaq Presario speakers. Those were for sure better than the sound from my TV.

Yeah, I remember when my family got our HP in 1998, and it came with two polk audio speakers. Was kinda weird at the time to have speakers that weren't attached to the monitor, but I remember being like "holy shit, that's what a multimedia PC sounds like." And playing Unreal on that thing? Dear God. I was living in the future.

If I had my current PC sound setup back then, I would probably have literally shit myself.

Totally agree about some basic PC speakers for retro games. I grabbed a pair of junky old beige ones that were going to be thrown away at my office and they were swell with my PVM. Do NOT settle for mono. Even for NES games. Getting a fatter sound on those Konami, Capcom and Nintendo soundtracks is worth it! Only reason I'm not using those speakers now is I have a 2.1 setup. And no, it's not overkill. It's perfect for Genesis and SNES. I love it.

Kawika

Don't blame you. If I had waited a couple years and had existing options like 4K OLED with sub 30ms lag, FPGA consoles, HDMI mods, OSSC, etc, I'm not entirely sure I would have bothered with the CRTs. Which CRTs do you own? I suggest trying a good consumer/prosumer CRT at least. The BVMs can be dim and underwhelming at conveying that CRT/glow effect. And it sucks in normal room lighting, too reflective and low contrast so I only play it in a dark room.

Lay persons who see my setup with multiple screens on at once have commented that the 20F1U looks the worst and my cheap JVC TM-A13SU is best: a lot brighter, bloomier and more colorful.

I loved my Compaq presario speakers. I used keep my Dreamcast on top of my PC so I could easily swap the speakers and VGA to play through my old VGA box.

I have a PVM 14M2U which honestly is the best looking CRT I've ever seen. I've been using it for years but after everyone kept saying how awesome the BVMs were I felt like I better get it now before it became overly expensive.

If I had a do over I would have rather got the Pvm20L5 over the BVM20F1U. I'm probably going to sell my BVM either way. I love my M2U the only downside is the size. Considering I paid $45 for it back in the day it continues to be the best value of all the hardware I've attained.

Kawika

Since I have been mostly unhappy with my BVM purchase a buddy of mine might trade a PVM 20L5 for my 20F1U. He doesn't play any progressive scan consoles and I play a lot of gamecube so it might be a good trade. Anyone have any experience with the 20L5 vs the 20F1U?

I guess I am just really missing something, what is the point of searching out for a 1CHIP SNES?SuFami, when the mini guarantees equal or better RGB output?

It seems a waste of time and money for an inferior result.

I guess I am just really missing something, what is the point of searching out for a 1CHIP SNES?SuFami, when the mini guarantees equal or better RGB output?

Equal or the same RGB output (three different 1CHIP revisions). They also don't need modification. Also the Mini/Jr machines are kinda ugly.

However, sellers are starting to charge extortionate prices for the 1CHIP systems.

I'm happy with my SHVC-CPU-01 myself.

Equal or the same RGB output (three different 1CHIP revisions). They also don't need modification. Also the Mini/Jr machines are kinda ugly.

However, sellers are starting to charge extortionate prices for the 1CHIP systems.

I'm happy with my SHVC-CPU-01 myself.

Right, I know they are equal or better than 1CHIP systems, my point being, why are people paying more for them? What is the advantage to seeking out a more expensive, less guaranteed video quality system?

for people who are busy with work and don't have time learn and buy items needed to solder/mod or take apart things to tinker. even though it is simple.
i myself got a mini a year ago for 30 bucks with the intention to mod but it's just been too busy at work to get to it. 1chip found as i'm passing by is a quicker solution and you can still have identical results if you decide to mod it further in the future. mini you can't plug and play.

Yes Boss!

Mini is just not what a lot of folks have feelings for. Kinda like the cheapy version of the system...if you were around when they released it. I mean, both systems are fugly...but the OG is the classic most had.

for people who are busy with work and don't have time learn and buy items needed to solder/mod or take apart things to tinker. even though it is simple.
i myself got a mini a year ago for 30 bucks with the intention to mod but it's just been too busy at work to get to it. 1chip found as i'm passing by is a quicker solution and you can still have identical results if you decide to mod it further in the future.

ohhhhhhh, my bad, I get it now, no mod business.

I just checked eBay, and the prices of pre-RGB modded SNES Minis have jumped way up, too it seems, to around 150-200 USDs.

WTF is up with that? I've only been in the retro game scene for just over a year now, but this is the first time I've seen a price jump before like that.

Mini is just not what a lot of folks have feelings for. Kinda like the cheapy version of the system...if you were around when they released it. I mean, both systems are fugly...but the OG is the classic most had.

I had an original SNES, but the SNES Mini seems like an all around better deal if you're looking to get back into it. Well, maybe not anymore, per the above price. Also, to speedlolita's point, while I think it looks better than the original SNES, it pales in comparison to the Super Famicom.

While I'm here:

I am on the fence about an RGB modded CoreGrafx II I've found for about 130 bucks. Pretty barebones offer, just the console and a SCART cable. Since I already have the Hori Fighting Stick Multi, I already have a controller for it, and a replacement power supply is NBD, but it struck me that if I ever wanted to get into PC Engine CD games, I'd still need a CD-ROM 2 console that is ALSO modded for RGB.

The entirety of PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 consoles is ridiculous. There is no easy solution to the problem outside of getting a Duo and modding it or chancing a pre-modded DUO for around 400.

Should I bite the bullet on the RGB modded Core Grafx II? Looks like there is a market for repro hu-cards, so I could at least get an Air Zonk and Soldier Blade two-game card.

PLS HALP

Mega

Banned
Since I have been mostly unhappy with my BVM purchase a buddy of mine might trade a PVM 20L5 for my 20F1U. He doesn't play any progressive scan consoles and I play a lot of gamecube so it might be a good trade. Anyone have any experience with the 20L5 vs the 20F1U?

I briefly had a 14L5. It was nice but the screen was damaged in shipping so I sent it back. 20L5 uses a very similar spec CRT tube as the 20F1U, so you won't feel any better about the PQ. It has less configuration options (geometry, convergence, profiles) and will probably be a tiny bit blurrier.

The plus side is 480p/HD support. I would get it for that reason alone and do the trade. I think you'll really like how the 480p console games look. I play GC/Wii on a 17" JVC HD CRT with similar screen properties to the 20L5/20F1U and I think it's the best way to play those progressive scan games.

I briefly had a 14L5. It was nice but the screen was damaged in shipping so I sent it back. 20L5 uses a very similar spec CRT tube as the 20F1U, so you won't feel any better about the PQ. It has less configuration options (geometry, convergence, profiles) and will probably be a tiny bit blurrier.

The plus side is 480p/HD support. I would get it for that reason alone and do the trade. I think you'll really like how the 480p console games look. I play GC/Wii on a 17" JVC HD CRT with similar screen properties to the 20L5/20F1U and I think it's the best way to play those progressive scan games.

yo Mega, me and Peltz want to some day chill all together with all the NYC retroGAFers, you gotta show us your famous CRT's one day =)

Peagles

Eh, I have a 1CHIP SFC cos it's always been expensive to import a Mini/Jr to here. Cost me like $30 NZD to get a 1CHIP-02 over from Japan. To get a Mini/Jr has always been a $100+ venture, and probably heaps more now.

Kawika

I appreciate the input. The main reason I wanted the 20L5 was for Wii/GCN/PS2 as 480p is an awful resolution to feed into most HDTVs and get decent pq.I even tried to buy one from the Sony tech but he had a better deal on the 20F1U and I thought 480i would be good enough (not so much).

TBH I almost always prefer to play my retro JRPGs through my Framemeister and I've never found a good way to run either the Wii or GameCube through my XRGB (save GBI for GBA) and get results I was happier with than just plugging it in directly to my HD.

Getting everything dialed in perfectly isn't something i really care that much about. If it bothers me too much I will just take it back to the tech and have him dial it in. Either way, this is my last shot at getting a CRT unless a CRT-Fairy drops off a bvm-d24e1wu I am out.

Yes Boss!

I had an original SNES, but the SNES Mini seems like an all around better deal if you're looking to get back into it. Well, maybe not anymore, per the above price. Also, to speedlolita's point, while I think it looks better than the original SNES, it pales in comparison to the Super Famicom.

True, I just have SFCs now. No real interest in re-getting anything SNES...All ugly from system to carts to boxes. Always far preferred the Japanese system. I'm niether here not there and 1-chip systems. If anything I prefer a softer image.

Kawika,

The 20L5 is fantastic for 480p content with the exception that anything 16:9 generally looks crappy as the squeeze-trick the display does in rather janky...at least on my display. Anything 4:3 is fantastic.

While I'm here:

I am on the fence about an RGB modded CoreGrafx II I've found for about 130 bucks. Pretty barebones offer, just the console and a SCART cable. Since I already have the Hori Fighting Stick Multi, I already have a controller for it, and a replacement power supply is NBD, but it struck me that if I ever wanted to get into PC Engine CD games, I'd still need a CD-ROM 2 console that is ALSO modded for RGB.

The entirety of PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 consoles is ridiculous. There is no easy solution to the problem outside of getting a Duo and modding it or chancing a pre-modded DUO for around 400.

Should I bite the bullet on the RGB modded Core Grafx II? Looks like there is a market for repro hu-cards, so I could at least get an Air Zonk and Soldier Blade two-game card.

PLS HALP

My dude just buy a Turbo EverDrive - they're AMAZING.

bobble

Pulled the trigger on the RGB modded Core Grafx and Turbo EverDrive. A new chapter of my life is about to begin.

Dude, congrats!! I recently got into PC Engine too, and I feel like I was so ignorant before. Hudson is one of my favorite devs and it's basically Hudson hardware with tons of cool games. :) :)

linkboy

Just picked up a SD2SNES, decided it's time to finally make the jump.

Can't wait to get it, especially with the HD Retrovision component cables I have (my Samsung TV handles 240p over component).

Vespa

Just picked up a SD2SNES, decided it's time to finally make the jump.

Can't wait to get it, especially with the HD Retrovision component cables I have (my Samsung TV handles 240p over component).

Nice, would like an SD2SNES eventually. Actually received an Everdrive 64 today but I don't have anything setup that takes composite...looking to get an RGB mod done asap and see what all this deblur excitement is about.

Nice, would like an SD2SNES eventually. Actually received an Everdrive 64 today but I don't have anything setup that takes composite...looking to get an RGB mod done asap and see what all this deblur excitement is about.

That actually reminds me, anyone know who's good for doing an N64RGB install service that has the deblur included?

The only available person I can find in the US that does N64 modding is Voultar, but I'm not so sure if the filter disable he has described on his kit is for the inherit N64 blur itself, or something else entirely.

Mega

Banned
I got my 1Chip because it's the best unmodded SNES and I prefer its look over the Mini. I paid $100 but it came with 4 controllers and two games: Super Star Wars and Mega Man X which alone is worth half what I paid.

yo Mega, me and Peltz want to some day chill all together with all the NYC retroGAFers, you gotta show us your famous CRT's one day =)

Sounds cool, although not to be rude but my cluttered little apt isn't super inviting. My CRT setup is literally a few feet from the bed and I sit up and play on the edge like a kid back in the day. Cozy but not very accommodating for a bunch of grown men.

Pulled the trigger on the RGB modded Core Grafx and Turbo EverDrive. A new chapter of my life is about to begin.

For the future you should consider the attachment or upgrade the whole setup for one of the Duo models. The CD-ROM library is even bigger than the HuCard library and includes a lot of the best games.

Vespa

That actually reminds me, anyone know who's good for doing an N64RGB install service that has the deblur included?

The only available person I can find in the US that does N64 modding is Voultar, but I'm not so sure if the filter disable he has described on his kit is for the inherit N64 blur itself, or something else entirely.

I had a quick look, I think the blur mentioned by Voultar is about using a THS7374 in the rgb amp mod, this removes the low pass filter, same chip he uses in his 1-chip/mini RGB bypass mod to produce a sharper image. It's different to the 'deblur' option offered by the UltraHDMI and tim's rgb boards.

There's a list of places that use Tim's board in the US on his site.

I had a quick look, I think the blur mentioned by Voultar is about using a THS7374 in the rgb amp mod, this removes the low pass filter, same chip he uses in his 1-chip/mini RGB bypass mod to produce a sharper image. It's different to the 'deblur' option offered by the UltraHDMI and tim's rgb boards.

There's a list of places that use Tim's board in the US on his site.

I checked the listings for installers, all of the ones located in the United States only focus on NES, Atari 2600, and Game Gear

Speaking of Tim's RGB board, I finally got mine yesterday, tried to install it and it worked! But I'm getting no audio! I tried composite as well and same problem. By this point it was 2am so I went to bed but it's been kinda bugging me all day.

I think I just need to double check my soldering on my MAV-NUS chip but just in case is there anything else that could cause that?

Edit: Actually pin 14-16 look like digital audio inputs to the MAV chip so I must have messed something up there.

5089-mav-ntsc-png

For the future you should consider the attachment or upgrade the whole setup for one of the Duo models. The CD-ROM library is even bigger than the HuCard library and includes a lot of the best games.

Yeah, I definitely will go that route eventually, but it's a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

Vespa

I checked the listings for installers, all of the ones located in the United States only focus on NES, Atari 2600, and Game Gear

Worth emailing those people that have NESRGB next to their name on that list. Retrofixes does the mod but they're sold out currently. I'm in the UK and probably going with Oldskoolconsoles, they're only listed as NESRGB but do an N64 mod too.

I got my 1Chip because it's the best unmodded SNES and I prefer its look over the Mini. I paid $100 but it came with 4 controllers and two games: Super Star Wars and Mega Man X which alone is worth half what I paid.

Sounds cool, although not to be rude but my cluttered little apt isn't super inviting. My CRT setup is literally a few feet from the bed and I sit up and play on the edge like a kid back in the day. Cozy but not very accommodating for a bunch of grown men.
no worries man, i'm still grateful for the times you invited me to go with you looking for CRT's. we may do something in March, we'll definitely invite you if we set up something.

did you do the 750 ohm resistor brightness mod? i'm thinking of doing it cause the whites come of super hot on my. but the funny thing is the non 1chip snes i can see the vertical line but can't see it on the 1chip so at least that's a positive.

Speaking of Tim's RGB board, I finally got mine yesterday, tried to install it and it worked! But I'm getting no audio! I tried composite as well and same problem. By this point it was 2am so I went to bed but it's been kinda bugging me all day.

I think I just need to double check my soldering on my MAV-NUS chip but just in case is there anything else that could cause that?

Edit: Actually pin 14-16 look like digital audio inputs to the MAV chip so I must have messed something up there.

5089-mav-ntsc-png
how long did it take to install? hope the audio get's worked out =)

how long did it take to install? hope the audio get's worked out =)

Not too long, the biggest problem is the ungodly number of screws holding the damn thing together. After that, it took around 10 minutes to properly separate / strip the wires and about 15 mins of soldering the pin adapter, one wire set from that to the board, and a 2nd wire set to the multi-av out. I then spent about 30 mins trying to figure out why my N64 wasn't booting (backwards RAM expansion, then I had to unplug the AC adapter for a min to reset its breaker).

Mega

Banned
did you do the 750 ohm resistor brightness mod? i'm thinking of doing it cause the whites come of super hot on my. but the funny thing is the non 1chip snes i can see the vertical line but can't see it on the 1chip so at least that's a positive.

No modifications done to mine. Only clipping the tabs for a Super Gameboy 2 I ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom