• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The gscartsw? Yeah. The lite version (which is, oddly enough, the better version) should be shipping out for preorders soon, and the guy said that he'll have leftovers that he will begin selling in around 1 months time.

Here's the forum thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851&sid=4c73b1a4cd9066869c2922cfc93fe66f
I'm annoyed at the "Lite" name because I rushed to get the original version instead, thinking the Lite would be compromised. Now it's the superior version. :p

I could have used that second standard scart output too. I can't find a cable to connect the second VGA-style output on the original gscartsw to my PVM at all.....

IceTheRetroKid

Neo Member
I was a bit bummed because I play GameCube games on S-Video and I don't have the expensive component cables, so I went back to composite for a bit because I haven't looked at it in years so I wanted to see what I was avoiding when going up from composite to S-Video.

I did not like what I saw....

(Skies of Arcadia Legends - Composite)
4hXXwXL.jpg

Then I went back to S-Video and never went back!

(Skies of Arcadia Legends - S-Video)
TAP20oY.jpg

Now I don't feel as bummed out and I am still happy with the upgraded visuals as opposed to the blurry visuals I would get with the native composite cable.

whats the drawback to using hdmi for nintendont? I was debating on whether playing gamecube and wii on my crt at 480i or wii u and a hdtv.

Main thing is the Wii U's scaling isn't great. An HDTV w/ component might even have better scaling of 480i/p built in, and your CRT would look better as well.

Compatibility also isn't 100%. It's gotten very good but if that bothers you (like if you're worried about unexpected crashes partway through a game) it's good to be aware of.

Nintendon't is even better for Gamecube games due to HDMI.

Problem with Nintendon't for me is that the left analog stick on my Wavebirds never calibrate properly. It's always drifting.

And yeah, gscartsw 3.4 owner here, it was money well spent. Would get the lite version if I could go back in time though, but it wasn't yet available. The regular gscartsw has a lowpass filter on the video signal and when it's paired with the Framemeister's lowpass filter it creates minor video quality issues. The OSSC's lowpass filter can be turned off though.

The lite however, does not use this lowpass filter, so it's much better for Framemeister owners.

As for SCART cables, I'm about to replace my old NES and SNES SCART cables from retro_console_accessories with the new ones from her that have the shielding and multicore. The current ones I have are way too goddamn noisy. The brighter the image on my screen, the more noise I get.

Since we have Voultar's attention, the listings on his site have prices of $0.00. This makes no sense to me. Are they unavailable or is it a case by case basis? I've been holding off requesting an rgb mod because of this.

Kawika

I don't know it was an option she used to offer for more money, it would have been nice to know in the listing that now all her cables included that, I would have asked to not have it.

In regards to 2, I can't say I don't know which boards these are, or where it was discussed about this boosted sync being bad type of thing. I disagree with him being hyperbolic though. This is also something Rene brings up in his article too many times when this kind of shit comes to light people attack the person presenting it with "Well my shit has worked for the last 2 years so everything is fine." He presents a data sheet and why it's wrong and a significant problem, same as Rene does in his ram voltage article.

Voltage Deniers

Since we have Voultar's attention, the listings on his site have prices of $0.00. This makes no sense to me. Are they unavailable or is it a case by case basis? I've been holding off requesting an rgb mod because of this.
I just placed an order for a N64 RGB mod on his site last night for $65, looks like that's still the price for it..

Dambrosi

Banned
As an update, the light seems to appear intermittently and I'll assume things are fine for now.

Saw the issue, albeit somewhat different, mentioned here (which suggests the tally light coming on is normal):

A quick shot of my setup when it's not aggravating me :p

That looks so sweet, dude! Wanna take a look at my setup? It's not quite as nice as yours, but I figure since we're all showing off our retro corners...

I particularly like the mahogany cabinet it's all centered around, cost me £25, total bargain.

That looks so sweet, dude! Wanna take a look at my setup? It's not quite as nice as yours, but I figure since we're all showing off our retro corners...

I particularly like the mahogany cabinet it's all centered around, cost me £25, total bargain.

Looks very compact, the drawer is a good idea.

Also nice briefcase unit.

Conezays

Looks great! I think we have a lot of the same systems, everdrives, etc., haha.

Somewhat related are some examples of third-party controllers that are, in my opinion, better than the originals. One example is the Colecovision/Famicom Computer controller which makes playing Coleco games a lot more fun. Also, I prefer the Hori Commander controller on PC Engine to the original but your mileage may vary.

So this isn't strictly retro, but I have a question.

My mixer/headphone combo has a weird issue. My speaker output has balanced audio, but my headphones only get about 60% volume on one side. It isn't my headphones or inputs since I can use the speakers with balanced audio, and even plug in to the speakers' headphone jack for balanced audio.

However, I use an adapter to go from 1/4in to 3.5mm. Do you guys think it's more likely it's the mixer's headphone jack itself, or the adapter?
Uh, nevermind. I think it fixed itself????? this has persisted for weeks and now it's working. idfk anymore maybe i'm deaf

Was playing my snes via ossc on my smaller LED tv. Moved it over to my LG C7 oled finally.

Fucking hell it looks phenomenal. Not gonna get any closer to crt than this. These blacks <3

Kai Ozu

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a excellent component switch box or even a D terminal box (I have both cables)

It's very difficult to find one that doesn't degrade the picture quality.

Anyone here have experience with the dbGrafx Booster? StoneAgeGamer has the board with a custom shell up for back order and it looks like the most convenient & cheapest option for PC Engine RGB

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a excellent component switch box or even a D terminal box (I have both cables)

Monoprice has their own 4x1 component switch box that's even on sale for $15.34 right now. In regards to picture quality on that thing, MLiG's comparison show very little loss

It may have the ability to auto detect signals so you don't need to fiddle around with it post-inital setup, but I can only find 1 or 2 Amazon reviews that give me the impression that the switcher does such thing.

Dambrosi

Banned
Looks great! I think we have a lot of the same systems, everdrives, etc., haha.

Somewhat related are some examples of third-party controllers that are, in my opinion, better than the originals. One example is the Colecovision/Famicom Computer controller which makes playing Coleco games a lot more fun. Also, I prefer the Hori Commander controller on PC Engine to the original but your mileage may vary.

I don't own a Hori Commander (yet), so I couldn't tell you, but the Avenue 6 is fine. I've had no issues with it, at least. The Hori looks nice, though.

I'm British, and the NES and ColecoVision weren't even a thing here in the UK, so I don't have an opinion on the Coleco controller except "That's a lot of buttons, I wonder if it would work on a Jaguar if you modded it?"

Conezays

Anyone here have experience with the dbGrafx Booster? StoneAgeGamer has the board with a custom shell up for back order and it looks like the most convenient & cheapest option for PC Engine RGB

Haven't used personally but have had heard good things about the dbGrafx Booster. Personally I use a cable I ordered from fidd_se in Swiden which you just plug into the back of an original system (cost was $70 CDN). The jailbar issue does persist however, which I believe needs further modification to lessen/remove.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172331463120...b6bfa036495&bu=43803821555&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I don't own a Hori Commander (yet), so I couldn't tell you, but the Avenue 6 is fine. I've had no issues with it, at least. The Hori looks nice, though.

I'm British, and the NES and ColecoVision weren't even a thing here in the UK, so I don't have an opinion on the Coleco controller except "That's a lot of buttons, I wonder if it would work on a Jaguar if you modded it?"

Cheers, thanks. And I'm happy to peruse your modified Jaguar pictures! :p

Dambrosi

Banned
Haven't used personally but have had heard good things about the dbGrafx Booster. Personally I use a cable I ordered from fidd_se in Swiden which you just plug into the back of an original system (cost was $70 CDN). The jailbar issue does persist however, which I believe needs further modification to lessen/remove.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172331463120?...&sojTags=bu=bu

Cheers, thanks. And I'm happy to peruse your modified Jaguar pictures! :p
For the PCE RGB issue, I just got a guy calling himself Gojira54 on JAMMA+ Forums to do me a hardmod on my IFU (suitcase thing), cost me £50 + P&P. He even did me a jailbar fix for free, the crazy diamond! He does hardmods to Core Grafxs and TG16s as well, and even throws in a free EuroSCART lead for good measure! So, if you're in the UK (I'm not sure he does international orders, though you can try I suppose), just hit up Google for "gojira54 RGB amp", it'll be the first result.

The jailbar issue does persist however, which I believe needs further modification to lessen/remove.

If it's like the Genesis, then I can use my Samsung UN32EH4003F's Digital Noise Filter to remove jailbars and still have less input delay than my 5m ASUS monitors
Though I hate how small the screen size is

Conezays

For the PCE RGB issue, I just got a guy calling himself Gojira54 on JAMMA+ Forums to do me a hardmod on my IFU (suitcase thing), cost me £50 + P&P. He even did me a jailbar fix for free, the crazy diamond! He does hardmods to Core Grafxs and TG16s as well, and even throws in a free EuroSCART lead for good measure! So, if you're in the UK (I'm not sure he does international orders, though you can try I suppose), just hit up Google for "gojira54 RGB amp", it'll be the first result.

Great, thank you. May take a look at that though hasn't been a huge deal for me thus far. And yeah, I'm in Canada.

If it's like the Genesis, then I can use my Samsung UN32EH4003F's Digital Noise Filter to remove jailbars and still have less input delay than my 5m ASUS monitors
Though I hate how small the screen size is

Nice, haha. Haven't personally had jailbar issues with the Genesis.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Yeah, seriously. I only needed 4 when I bought the gscartsw lite... but I thought it through and realized that down the road, I'll eventually need at least 8, probably more. Then I bought the Omega, which wasn't in the plan, so that's one more.

The point is, this is a stupid hobby, and there's no such thing as too much.

Anyone else fix cables this weekend? I ran to the electronics store and got the resistor and cap I needed and removed the amp from my SMS cables. Not the prettiest of soldering jobs but I managed to only burn myself once and it works. So I count that as a win.

Kawika

I have been sitting here on the HD Retrovision site wondering if i should order these cables even though i have scart cables already. I really like being able to adjust the chroma settings on my PVM/BVM and for some reason, I think I have a better shot at getting the SNES to work on my OSSC over scart. But since I am thinking about ordering the SNES maybe I should get the genesis too. This is going to add a kink to my set up as I have the gscartsw and gcompsw.

Decisions decisions.

Kai Ozu

Monoprice has their own 4x1 component switch box that's even on sale for $15.34 right now. In regards to picture quality on that thing, MLiG's comparison show very little loss

It may have the ability to auto detect signals so you don't need to fiddle around with it post-inital setup, but I can only find 1 or 2 Amazon reviews that give me the impression that the switcher does such thing.

Yeah I know about this switch and have been told things like its terrible to its great. Just ordered one, worth a go for the price.

http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gcompsw-v1-0/

gcompsw should be going back up for order pretty soon. It's a powered automatic switcher, and should get the job done.

How do I get in touch with this gcom guy, I would love to order one. Looks like the switch I've been looking for all my life.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Audio Authority 1154A is excellent. Can be had on ebay for $30-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom