• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's Cross-Buy, so if you buy the "Vita" version, the Vita, PSN Demo, and PSN Unlock key are all added to your download history.

So even if you can only find the fita version, just go ahead and get it, it should all work out in DL history / cart.

I see the Vita game, the demo and a license. I downloaded the license, but I don't see the game anywhere on the cross bar. I also downloaded the Vita game, but it doesn't play on the PS3.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I see the Vita game, the demo and a license. I downloaded the license, but I don't see the game anywhere on the cross bar. I also downloaded the Vita game, but it doesn't play on the PS3.

Did you DL the demo? The license upgrades the demo file into the full game.

Riggs

Banned
HAY, so I'm in unmitigated love with this game and have been for an unhealthily long time... as such, I want to TURN SOME FROWNS UPSIDE DOWN A-HYUCK.

I have 5 download codes for the soundtrack (VIRT, NORRIN RAD, FREAKY DNA) -- say what you will about the gameplay (many of you jerks have!), but there's no disputing the audio side of the presentation. Easily my "soundtrack of the year" with amazing, varied chip-work from three extreme talents.

So, uh, do you want one of those codes? Easy! Tell me what chiptunes mean(t) to you; "paint" me a word-picture (or actual picture!) featuring a childhood memory related to some bleeps-and-bloops you just couldn't get out of your head, or the time you realized FM synthesis was REAL MUSIC, or the time you just had to learn Mario 1-1 on guitar TO LIVE, etc. Five best* stories win. This thread isn't super-active so this may fall flat on its face, at which point I'll probably just ask for PMs and send the codes to the first 5 I get, but for now this seemed kind of fun and a good way to share in the nostalgia this game is so bathed in. Post entries in this thread, "submissions" are open for as long as it takes for me to find 5 I like (or I decide this is a bust and just give 'em out).

*as defined by me based solely on whim.

GOOD LUCK and finally:

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.

Not sure if you are giving out any of those 5 codes still. But I'll try.

I couldn't learn my ABC's at 5 years old, apparently because I was dumb or something. So I tried and tried and every time I always messed it up. I was born in 1984 so around 5 years old the NES was just coming out. My dad said if I could learn my ABC's he would buy me the system. Well I learned the ABC's in like 1 min, next thing I know I am playing Mario 24/7.

I would go to school every day just singing the mario theme (in my head) we all know by heart these days thinking it was the hot new shit, then the bleeps and bloops from original Contra, even some of the not so great but enjoyable music from Tetris. Iron Sword? Yeah I know that shit ! Not like any of my friends played that fucking game anyway.

So some of these songs really stuck in my head and every time I hear them (especially Mario) it instantly brings back memories of my child hood.

Even if I don't win a code I hope that was semi enjoyable to read. I do not have a way with words lol.

Oh wow, I never knew they had that! I actually own a Megaman E-tank coffee mug. I use it every morning with my coffee. Thank you so much! I'll be jamming to this later when I get home from work :) Also, AMAZING avatar, I'm so excited for the new season that's FINALLY coming.
They certainly do, but it's insanely expensive. BUT SO COOL! MUST NOT LOOK MORE...

Enjoy rocking out!

I'm pumped for the new season of the Ventures too, Halloween special this Sunday! Can't wait! Credit goes to Clipper for my avatar; I'd been using the VB skull here ever since the show started, but gained Tex Murphy's fedora in honor of "his" Kickstarter project.
Not sure if you are giving out any of those 5 codes still. But I'll try.

I couldn't learn my ABC's at 5 years old, apparently because I was dumb or something. So I tried and tried and every time I always messed it up. I was born in 1984 so around 5 years old the NES was just coming out. My dad said if I could learn my ABC's he would buy me the system. Well I learned the ABC's in like 1 min, next thing I know I am playing Mario 24/7.

I would go to school every day just singing the mario theme (in my head) we all know by heart these days thinking it was the hot new shit, then the bleeps and bloops from original Contra, even some of the not so great but enjoyable music from Tetris. Iron Sword? Yeah I know that shit ! Not like any of my friends played that fucking game anyway.

So some of these songs really stuck in my head and every time I hear them (especially Mario) it instantly brings back memories of my child hood.

Even if I don't win a code I hope that was semi enjoyable to read. I do not have a way with words lol.
How can you be dumb, sir, when A WINNER IS YOU?! You have enough of a way with words to soon be enjoying this rocking soundtrack, and guess what? Hell yeah I played Iron Sword, and I made Fabio watch!

ONE CODE REMAINS! Is it YOURS?!

depward

Never has there been a game that I really enjoyed the beginning of and had the game just go to shit.

Got the demo, liked the nostalgia, graphics were nifty, had a nice basic gta: Chinatown wars type feel... So I bought it.

Then... the frustrations.

First was the dynamite blowing up cars. People didn't seem to have much of an issue with this mission but I found it extremely difficult.

Then - the (mid-late game spoiler)
Smash TV levels. I died repeatedly. Over and over. This is after not really dying much at all aside from the dynamite mission
. I was like, "Where did this difficulty and frustration come from?!"

Final straw? The (late-game spoilers)
the hang-on game, specifically the dr. Buttnick stage
. Stupid, frustrating and have spent a stupid long time trying to beat. Not only is it just a horrible gameplay experience, but sometimes I get one-shotted when I supposedly have 3 bars of life.

kudos on cross-buy, the look of the game, and some of the parodies. But not going to be finishing this one.

Roto13

You can basically stop playing once you hit the Smash TV stage because it's basically all downhill from there. Hell, it's mostly downhill from the intro, but that's where it just falls off a cliff.

reminder

So, it's November and this game still isn't available in the EU store. Great job, SCEE. My hype for this game is below zero now and you won't see any money from me for this game. Maybe i'll download it if it's for free on PS+ sometime in the future.

I'm sorry for the developer though since it's not his fault. SCEE just likes to fuck up digital game releases.

Withnail

So, it's November and this game still isn't available in the EU store. Great job, SCEE. My hype for this game is below zero now and you won't see any money from me for this game. Maybe i'll download it if it's for free on PS+ sometime in the future.

I'm sorry for the developer though since it's not his fault. SCEE just likes to fuck up digital game releases.

The developer said on Twitter that he wouldn't submit to SCEE until he's managed to fix some of the bugs (there's also a patch coming to the other versions). I know it's cool to hate SCEE but they can't release a game they don't have.

reminder

The developer said on Twitter that he wouldn't submit to SCEE until he's managed to fix some of the bugs (there's also a patch coming to the other versions). I know it's cool to hate SCEE but they can't release a game they don't have.

Wow, i remember reading on his twitter a while ago that the game was submitted to SCEA and SCEE but he didn't have a date for europe other than "later in october".

Well, that doesn't change anything. My hype is gone.

very disappointing news. I would have been all over it had it been released last month or even the first week of november, but to learn that it hasn't been submitted yet means my interest in gone. I will undoubtedly buy it at some point, but it won't be for many, many months now and probably when it's on sale.

on the topic of bugs, is the us version really buggy then? I haven't read many reports of people encountering too many bugs.

Wow, i remember reading on his twitter a while ago that the game was submitted to SCEA and SCEE but he didn't have a date for europe other than "later in october".

I remembering reading the same too. I think it was in a press release when they announced the us and steam versions.

on the topic of bugs, is the us version really buggy then? I haven't read many reports of people encountering too many bugs.

Not that I've heard/seen. We quashed most of them. But a) he is busy making changes for sections deemed too difficult (sometimes changing a game can cause new bugs) and b) when you have an open world game like this bugs are always more likely to happen, especially when it ships on so many platforms. (Arguably also c) Brian is a perfectionist)

Stackboy

My hype is leaving too. There's been a few times when I've been tempted to buy on Steam, but knowing I can get play on both PS3 and Vita is making me wait.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end up being a Wii U release instead of a WiiWare release.

I mean, I assume he'd have mentioned this already, but it seems kind of odd to release it as a WiiWare title after the release of the Wii U, especially given that the stores aren't united.

Agent X

I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end up being a Wii U release instead of a WiiWare release.

I mean, I assume he'd have mentioned this already, but it seems kind of odd to release it as a WiiWare title after the release of the Wii U, especially given that the stores aren't united.

Good question. I was thinking that they might have deliberately delayed the release of the game, in order to coincide with Wii U's release.

I doubt they'd cancel the Wii version at this point, but I could possibly see a separate Wii U version (that was secretly in development) being released.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RXUqD.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
HAY, so I'm in unmitigated love with this game and have been for an unhealthily long time... as such, I want to TURN SOME FROWNS UPSIDE DOWN A-HYUCK.

I have 5 download codes for the soundtrack (VIRT, NORRIN RAD, FREAKY DNA) -- say what you will about the gameplay (many of you jerks have!), but there's no disputing the audio side of the presentation. Easily my "soundtrack of the year" with amazing, varied chip-work from three extreme talents.

So, uh, do you want one of those codes? Easy! Tell me what chiptunes mean(t) to you; "paint" me a word-picture (or actual picture!) featuring a childhood memory related to some bleeps-and-bloops you just couldn't get out of your head, or the time you realized FM synthesis was REAL MUSIC, or the time you just had to learn Mario 1-1 on guitar TO LIVE, etc. Five best* stories win. This thread isn't super-active so this may fall flat on its face, at which point I'll probably just ask for PMs and send the codes to the first 5 I get, but for now this seemed kind of fun and a good way to share in the nostalgia this game is so bathed in. Post entries in this thread, "submissions" are open for as long as it takes for me to find 5 I like (or I decide this is a bust and just give 'em out).

*as defined by me based solely on whim.

GOOD LUCK and finally:

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.

Chiptune music has definitely influenced my music taste from ever since I was a kid. I will never forget those catchy tunes from Super Mario World, one of my first forays into the gaming world. The upbeat, fast paced tracks for those harder, more dangerous stages. Or the Calm serenity of the ocean floor that could literally be misinterpreted as a lullaby. And don't forget those ghost houses, such an eerie and creepy sound that always signified constant DANGER. The soundtrack in Super Mario World represents each level perfectly, and always let's me know what to expect.

Of course, I didn't own a copy of the game until the GBA port. But this music to me, is timeless. I can never get tired of it.

Chiptune music has definitely influenced my music taste from ever since I was a kid. I will never forget those catchy tunes from Super Mario World, one of my first forays into the gaming world. The upbeat, fast paced tracks for those harder, more dangerous stages. Or the Calm serenity of the ocean floor that could literally be misinterpreted as a lullaby. And don't forget those ghost houses, such an eerie and creepy sound that always signified constant DANGER. The soundtrack in Super Mario World represents each level perfectly, and always let's me know what to expect.

Of course, I didn't own a copy of the game until the GBA port. But this music to me, is timeless. I can never get tired of it.
I was wondering if anyone would care that I had that one code left! Thank you for participating, sir, and making me feel like there are at least a few kind souls in the world as passionate about this game / labor of love as I am. A WINNER IS YOU! That said, my last remaining code is currently not with me so it may take a few days for me to PM it to you. Please be patient.

NO CODES REMAIN. If you played, I thank you. If you won, what do you think of the game's soundtrack?

I adore the music of Super Mario World; it comprises some of my best chip-based memories as well! Nintendo chiptunes always make me smile.

Rootbeer

Banned
Vita/PS3 users, there was a patch with a very long changelog posted in the last day or so. Check it out.

adds Hint Screens, Faster Cars, Shop Icons, and much more.

I don't really play the PS3 version but noticed it on my Vita :3

BosSin

Vita/PS3 users, there was a patch with a very long changelog posted in the last day or so. Check it out.

adds Hint Screens, Faster Cars, Shop Icons, and much more.

I don't really play the PS3 version but noticed it on my Vita :3
Could this mean that it's finally coming out for eu psn soon?

Check your PMs, PAULINK! Thanks for playing everyone, hope I was able to spread a little joy and raise the awareness of this great game a tiny bit.

Hoping you EU folks can join in soon enough, liven up this thread a little! While waiting may seem like a chore, I do expect Brian's fastidiousness to pay off in delivering a wonderful version.

netBuff

Man, the wait for the EU Vita version really is dragging on :(

According to the game's Twitter, the EU PSN version is hopefully coming before Christmas.
5SL7e.png

http://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/276312690165706752

There's also a platform overview available on the RCR website - Wii and Xbox versions are still pending in certification as well: http://retrocityrampage.com/platforms.php. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any mention of a Wii U eShop version, I'd love to buy it there.

-Amon-

Developer just answered to direct question on twitter about European release date for Ps3 / Psvita, said:

should be out in the UK in less than 2-3 weeks

Been playing this game thanks to PS Plus. So awesome. Also, anybody have a link for a guide to the many stuff you can do in the game? I don't want to miss out on anything.

Here's the stuff I currently know about (story/side missions aside):

- killing spree missions/stages
- playing arcade games
- taxi cab mode
- get different styles/haircut
- Gamedini said he still had codes scattered around the city, what are the codes for?
- buying weapons and various items

Anything else?

Thanks.

OmegaZero

Been playing this game thanks to PS Plus. So awesome. Also, anybody have a link for a guide to the many stuff you can do in the game? I don't want to miss out on anything.

Here's the stuff I currently know about (story/side missions aside):

- killing spree missions/stages
- playing arcade games
- taxi cab mode
- get different styles/haircut
- Gamedini said he still had codes scattered around the city, what are the codes for?
- buying weapons and various items

Anything else?

Thanks.

The codes are well, cheat codes. You get everything from God Mode to Red "Sweat".
There's also moneybags to collect, pay phones to find, and hidden walls to discover.

Yeah, I revisited this on the pc the other day and forgot how much I enjoyed it.

Whilst it can frustrating, it can also be rewarding in the long run.

I was thinking of double dipping on the Xbox so that I can play it with my wife too.

It's really just a fun game, I wish it wasn't nitpicked to death. It's flawed, absolutely! But so what? It's cheap as hell and made with so much love and effort... it's the type of thing we should support and scream from the rafters about so we get more.

Roto13

It's really just a fun game, I wish it wasn't nitpicked to death. It's flawed, absolutely! But so what? It's cheap as hell and made with so much love and effort... it's the type of thing we should support and scream from the rafters about so we get more.

There are other $15 games that are a lot more fun and polished. I'd rather have more of those.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's all flash and no substance, so no, I don't want anything else like it.

Other than the artstyle and music, of course.

There are other $15 games that are a lot more fun and polished. I'd rather have more of those.
How many of those were labors of love that started as NES demakes by 1-man teams that were made over a near-decade? This game is an achievement whether you think it was a success, and I hope there is room for the types of games you're talking about and the noble experiments.
It's all flash and no substance, so no, I don't want anything else like it.

Other than the artstyle and music, of course.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, though I of course agree with the artstyle and music part of it!

Roto13

How many of those were labors of love that started as NES demakes by 1-man teams that were made over a near-decade?

And I should care about that why? Whether it was made by one guy or a hundred, it's not a very good game. The only thing I'm willing to forgive because of the development "team" size is the fact that retro-for-the-sake-of-retro has been done to death, but it hadn't been done to death when this game started development, so that's not really what's-his-name's fault.

I'm clearly not going to convince you, but I can say I care about it because I'm proud of it, I admire the perseverance it took, and I'm happy with the outcome. I'm certainly sorry you weren't. Its rare that things like this get to exist, that's why it's notable and we should do what we can to spur them. But hey, I'm never going to begrudge somebody their opinion! I know I'm in the minority on this one.

Trying to read through this thread, but how is this game overall on PC with a keyboard/mouse setup? Am I going to hate it if I don't use a controller?

I brought this 2 hours ago on Xbox Live (for 800 mp)
'till now (three story mission in) the game is AWESOME.

The reference, the gameplay, the music and all the crazy stuff you can buy... wow!

So... out of curiosity, can someone with better kanji/hanzi skills than me tell me what probably obscene or insulting things the "cool Chinese tattoo" and "cool Japanese tattoo" say?

I really don't understand why so many people here disliked this game -- I remember reading Brian's initial posts about his Grandtheftendo project, and I was happy and entertained to see that this is what became of it.

If you dug Grandtheftendo, you should really check out the Wiiware version of RCR. Has an NES-accurate ROM of RCR as a bonus.

EDIT: Looks like the PC version got it too! The Wiiware edition is actually free with the purchase of a shirt / poster through Fangamer at the moment.

And anyone who preordered it got the PS3/Vita versions for free as an anniversary gift! Say what you will about the quality of the game, but the post-launch support has been stupendous.

TunaLover

Didn't find any thread about the contest, just posting to say 1 of the 100 lucky guys in get a free copy of Retro City WiiWare :p

Piccoro

Hey guys, just bumping this thread to let you know about some news I got today in my email:

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE PC and 3DS NEWS
November 14th, 2013

-PC NEWS-

Retro City Rampage PC update v1.14 is now live!

It adds PlayStation 4 controller support and a whole bunch of performance enhancements. It also includes a few little bits of polish brought over from the 3DS development.

If you're streaming videos or recording footage for your YouTube channels, it can now run in 30fps mode for 1:1 framerate recording. This also allows it to run on even older machines.

For more information on the update, go here:
http://www.retrocityrampage.com/20131113.php

-HUMBLE STORE LAUNCH-

Retro City Rampage is proud to be part of The Humble Store's launch lineup!

Buy the game and support charity! Get it today for only $3.75 (75% off).
It includes the DRM-Free version, a Steam Key (and Trading Cards), and more.
This sale ends in less than 24 hours though!

Grab it, here:
http://www.humblebundle.com/store

-3DS NEWS-

I've been busy wrapping up the Nintendo 3DS version of Retro City Rampage, but not without taking time to keep everyone in the loop!

Head over to the Facebook page for a slew of videos, clips and other behind the scenes scoops about it. A number of features have been added such as a touch screen map and touch screen weapon select!

That's all available, here:
http://www.facebook.com/RetroCityRampage

Watch the official 3DS teaser trailer, here:
http://youtu.be/X42NayxoDmY

I'm doing everything to ensure it's out this year, but quality comes first.

Thanks for your continued support!
Brian Provinciano
Developer of Retro City Rampage

TL;DR: RCR PC now has PS4 controller support, improvements from the 3DS version, now available also on the Humble Store.

I kinda think I hate this game. Bought it ages ago on EU PSN launch, but only recently started playing it as I'm trying to clear down my Vita catalogue to free up a bit of memory space. I appreciate it's a great achievement for a single guy and I'm usually forgiving to indie games, but there's just so much about this I don't like. A lot of the missions are incredibly annoying, some things are poorly designed (I was arrested by the police last night when talking to someone in a shop - I was literally half way through scrolling through conversation text when I was busted), I can't seem to avoid attracting police attention and the police invisibility icons don't show up on the map, and generally I don't feel like there's much substance here beyond having '80s and '90s references. I may try to finish it for completion's sake, but I'm not overly keen so far.

Piccoro

I think that the main reason that many people disliked the game was the old-school difficulty, this game doesn't have much hand-holding unlike new AAA games.
Game is awesome, you just have to give it a chance. There's a lot of exploration and trial and error, just like the old 8-bit era games. And even the GTA's have some annoying missions.

I can't seem to avoid attracting police attention and the police invisibility icons don't show up on the map...

When you are being chased by the cops, get off the main roads and enter into alleys. Police cooldown icons are in 99% of the city's alleys.

Top Bottom