• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

How does that score in *any* way reflect the review text? The guy outright tells you *not* to buy the game. The entire last paragraph is dedicated to what *else* you should buy instead. And then... 7/10?

I don't know if I agree. He basically says that he found parts of it to be incredibly frustrating in the way that the 8-bit games of yesteryear were, but if that's what you are looking for this game delivers. He does point out in the end that there are other games you can get that nostalgia fix from at a cheaper price point, but you seem to be ignoring the positive things he had to say about this game throughout the review. It actually does consist of more than just the final paragraph.

I've been waiting [literally] forever for this to come out, and I say it's pretty good, especially for nostalgic purposes.

Probably more "$10" good instead of $15, but still worth it.

I'm finding a lot of these references to older games to be hamfisted as fuck, like Epic Movie, Date Movie and all the other * Movies.

Def Jukie

I'm finding a lot of these references to older games to be hamfisted as fuck, like Epic Movie, Date Movie and all the other * Movies.

I was really looking forward to this game and I have to agree with this. I get that the whole game is supposed to be a parody of other games but there are just too many references and so many of them feel forced. It also doesn't help that there have been so many retro styled games over the last few years that it is not really evoking all that much nostalgia from me. If this game came out a couple years ago I might feel different about it but as it is, it just feels like it is trying too hard.

I love all the crazy display options and the music is really good but I'm not really finding it all that fun to play. I'm playing the PC version with an Xbox 360 controller and it just doesn't feel right at all. I might try using a classic controller pro and see if that helps.

Playing this on Vita and it feels great. I didn't even play that many games that are referenced here and I'm enjoying the throwbacks. The whole style of the game just screams "80s/90s radical dude," which is really fun. I'm enjoying the gameplay, too.

JEKKI

suhweeet! started playing on PC and it maps great to mah 2D saturn USB controller!!

retro pads for retro gamez!

Snowballo

The Verge Review - 6 out of 10

Unlike the many games it borrows from, I don't see myself returning to Theftropolis. Nostalgia is the driving force of most of its fun, but I can't be nostalgic for nostalgia. Retro City Rampage is like a trifle, one sugary layer upon layer upon layer. It's incredibly sweet and delicious, but the longer time you spend with the thing, the more the sugary goodness mashes into one consistent and familiar flavor -- not as great as any one of its individual parts.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this game. I've been playing it for about thirty minutes at a time when I do, so maybe that's helping.

I try and do a side challenge for every story mission I do, which probably helps pad out the humor a bunch.

1upmuffin

Only played the first few missions but I think this is a fun game. You can tell there was a ton of work but into this and I really think people should support it. Yes, there are way too many references, but I think the story missions are quite enjoyable. The free-roam mode is quite boring though and since it's so simplistic its not as fun to just drive around in as an actual GTA game.

KalBalboa

Banned
Only played the first few missions but I think this is a fun game. You can tell there was a ton of work but into this and I really think people should support it. Yes, there are way too many references, but I think the story missions are quite enjoyable. The free-roam mode is quite boring though and since it's so simplistic its not as fun to just drive around in as an actual GTA game.

I think it's less punitive then GTA3/Vice/San Andreas/IV when it comes to driving about. I mean, obviously GTA offers more to do and all, but in Retro City there's a little less preventing you from having fun just aimlessly causing havok. I find driving from mission to mission less stressful due to all the point I can get from hit-n-running.

1upmuffin

I think it's less punitive then GTA3/Vice/San Andreas/IV when it comes to driving about. I mean, obviously GTA offers more to do and all, but in Retro City there's a little less preventing you from having fun just aimlessly causing havok. I find driving from mission to mission less stressful due to all the point I can get from hit-n-running.

Hmmm, I guess I just don't find it as fun because the police are so ignorable, I like the huge chases in GTA IV.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got my trophy for getting all time machine parts on my Vita. How do I get the trophy in my PS3 version after cross loading my cross save (which is after I unlock the trophy on my vita)?

Agent X

I love all of the tributes to classic video games and other elements of 80s pop culture. It's amazing how many references were squeezed into the game. Even after playing for a few days, I almost always catch one or two new ones every time I play.

I got my trophy for getting all time machine parts on my Vita. How do I get the trophy in my PS3 version after cross loading my cross save (which is after I unlock the trophy on my vita)?

The game has a unified trophy list that's shared on both platforms. It should already be on your trophy list, even if you don't load your cross-save.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This somehow completely passed under my radar until now. How long is the game? Worth a $15 value? Any glaring flaws/complaints?

duckroll

This somehow completely passed under my radar until now. How long is the game? Worth a $15 value? Any glaring flaws/complaints?

The game should be fairly long for the sort of thing it is. I reckon most people can get more than 10 hours out of it. As far as value goes, it depends on whether you enjoy what it is. It really is mostly in the framework of a top down GTA clone with 8-bit style graphics. Tons of homages to both pop culture (movies, games, music, etc) and retro-gaming in particularly, tons of in-jokes for the generation who grew up on NES games through the 80s and 90s, etc.

The gameplay isn't bad, but it's not really that varied either. It controls well, it's fun for what it is, but don't expect much more than that. It's also very, very indulgent, so sometimes there are a ton of cutscenes for no purpose other than to fit more reference jokes in. Lol.

I feel it was worth the money just to support such a project being made, and I liked what I played of it. YMMV.

AHA-Lambda

The game should be fairly long for the sort of thing it is. I reckon most people can get more than 10 hours out of it. As far as value goes, it depends on whether you enjoy what it is. It really is mostly in the framework of a top down GTA clone with 8-bit style graphics. Tons of homages to both pop culture (movies, games, music, etc) and retro-gaming in particularly, tons of in-jokes for the generation who grew up on NES games through the 80s and 90s, etc.

The gameplay isn't bad, but it's not really that varied either. It controls well, it's fun for what it is, but don't expect much more than that. It's also very, very indulgent, so sometimes there are a ton of cutscenes for no purpose other than to fit more reference jokes in. Lol.

I feel it was worth the money just to support such a project being made, and I liked what I played of it. YMMV.

Hmm, well if SCEE can get their act together I'll play the demo and see what I think. Is the demo a good indicator of what the full game is like?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I still haven't been able to get TOO deep into this games story yet... but I have gotten to mess around with the city, do some Spree challenges, and play the Arcade games...

... And it makes me feel pretty sad for people who think this isn't worth $15. The Sprees are enjoyable little mini-arcade games in themselves, like "Stage 1's" of multipel genre, top-down games. And then the arcade games all seem to be like 2 dollar downloadable games themselves.

All this as extra content for a game that has it's own story to tell, as well. It's like walking into an old arcade, and playing a collection of various games, produced by a small team of devs over a course of a few years. Kinda reminds me of how I felt when I first played an early "Namco Museum" release; Everythings really simple and streamlined, and I could just jump between instances, and have a variety of fun experiences.

Hmm, well if SCEE can get their act together I'll play the demo and see what I think. Is the demo a good indicator of what the full game is like?

I'm not so sure it's that great a demo, really. It DOES get the point across, but the break-neck pace of the demo is far removed from the "go out, and mess around the world!" freedom of the main game, which never seems to force you into anything, unless you're already in a mission.

If the game let you do that first stage, then free-roam for 10 min afterwards, doing whatever it was you wanted, then it'd be a better demo. As it stands, I can see how it can give the wrong impression!

Just when I thought I'd gave to wait a while to play this, my brother gifts me a copy on Steam for my 30th. I just need to get back from Venice now!
Did I read someone saying it'll run on a netbook? If so I'll use big picture mode for it.

TheGrue

I find it interesting that this game lampoons tailing missions by having you have to get coffee to stay awake and then is about 10 times more frustrating then any tailing mission I ever did in a game they are making fun of. I keep failing over and over, mostly because I will lose where the car is when I get to the drive-in part.

Edit - Oh look and I just hit a cop car right when I was finally going to beat it.

I find it interesting that this game lampoons tailing missions by having you have to get coffee to stay awake and then is about 10 times more frustrating then any tailing mission I ever did in a game they are making fun of. I keep failing over and over, mostly because I will lose where the car is when I get to the drive-in part.

Me too...to that entire post.

Raptomex

Edit - Oh look and I just hit a cop car right when I was finally going to beat it.
Agreed. Made it worse. The coffee thing was annoying. What made it worse was it wasn't really a short ride.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If it took you more than 2 tries to do the tailing mission you are bad at games. Once you know the drive-thru part is there just run a little ahead of the batmobile and jack a car/get coffee before it can wander off on you. Not hard.

Endo Punk

So a lot of mixed feelings. Kinda putting me off but I hope there is a demo so I can judge for myself, the nostalgia I feel is really doing it for me but it depends on the price (£).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda end game spoilers but a question:
How the hell do you beat Buttnick in the lava-thing area?

depward

Didn't have TOO much trouble with the coffee mission... but currently am stuck trying to (fairly close after mission spoilers)

Blow up cars with dynamite. How many am I supposed to destroy? Feel like I destroy like 6 before the cops just overrun me.

KalBalboa

Banned
That coffee mission was definitely the worst. Don't know why, but I lost like 6 times. It isn't that hard though.

Going "lol tailing missions are awful, right?" doesn't make your tailing mission any less awful.

Yeah, this seems to be the one mission everyone complains about. I just finished it during my lunch break.

It's definitely the first mission in the game that reminded me why I rarely go back to NES games... but the humor of it all sort of balances it out. It didn't feel challenging as much as it felt like the lamest elements of a trail mission.

Roto13

Didn't have TOO much trouble with the coffee mission... but currently am stuck trying to (fairly close after mission spoilers)

Blow up cars with dynamite. How many am I supposed to destroy? Feel like I destroy like 6 before the cops just overrun me.

Isn't it 20 or something? :p

Isn't it 20 or something? :p

Yeah, there is a number on the hud at the top somewhere. It's in my top 5 hardest missions and I tested the game. ;)

The coffee mission can be annoying but it's not too hard to keep up so long as you spam on coffee and keep an eye on where the road goes.

Nessus

3 hours in and I really like it. It's pretty much exactly what I expected.

Only one frustrating part so far, the Batmobile bit.

ScOULaris

Played the demo and then decided to purchase the full game.

I only played the first few story missions and messed around with hats, hairstyles, tattoos... etc. for a while, but I can understand why this game is getting mixed reception. The 8-bit style and countless nods to old games/movies/80's fads are all excellent, but some of the core gameplay elements simply aren't that much fun or engaging.

That being said, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and 8-bit graphics/sound design, so I don't regret my purchase at all. This is a unique game that could only have been made with an indie spirit, and I will always support releases like Retro City Rampage because they reflect the thoughts and experiences of their creator more clearly than 90% of games released today.

Top Bottom