• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

Oni Jazar

I only played the first few story missions and messed around with hats, hairstyles, tattoos... etc. for a while, but I can understand why this game is getting mixed reception. The 8-bit style and countless nods to old games/movies/80's fads are all excellent, but some of the core gameplay elements simply aren't that much fun or engaging.

I find the core mechanics pretty damn fun. Take away the 80s callbacks and there's still a good game there. I love driving around and fucking shit up. Good music, I like the rampages each with leaderboards. I like the arcade games. Lots of variety and enjoyment. It has a simple pick up and play style that I enjoyed a lot more then GTA: Chinatown.

I feel like age should be a mandatory inclusion when describing whether you like the game or not.
Ok. 36.
I looked forward to the game for years, the style and nods to 80's games/culture are awesome but I'm just not feeling the gameplay. Tedious and not fun yet (a couple hours in).

antitrop

Ok. 36.
I looked forward to the game for years, the style and nods to 80's games/culture are awesome but I'm just not feeling the gameplay. Tedious and not fun yet (a couple hours in).
The gameplay isn't anything special, clearly. But it's still like 6/7 territory, and then you add in the personal value of the retro appeal. (26)

Nobody is saying this is game of the year, but for $15 it's one of the only decent experiences I've had with my Vita all year.

Roto13

There are far, far better games than this on Vita.

Hell, there are at least two better Canada-developed indie games on Vita.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My opinion of the game sure has changed since my first day in the thread. The more I play it, the more I dislike it. I'm still in love with the art style though.

Glix

This game is okay. Its not great but not terrible, either. Sometimes the gags make you smile sometimes they make you cringe.

ScOULaris

This game is okay. Its not great but not terrible, either. Sometimes the gags make you smile sometimes they make you cringe.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's worth $15 for anyone who is a nostalgia-whore like me, though.
3AQmK.gif

The comedy falls flat most of the time, but navigating an 8-bit open-world city chock full of 80's and 90's references just brings a smile to my face. And this is the type of one-person indie project that I think deserves support. While it has its problems, it also has charm, great music, and it was all made by pretty much one guy over the course of 5+ years.

Roto13

If a game contains retro graphics, references to 80s and 90s pop culture, references to classic games, references to Canada and specifically Vancouver, and still manages to turn me off, it must be doing something really wrong.

If a game contains retro graphics, references to 80s and 90s pop culture, references to classic games, references to Canada and specifically Vancouver, and still manages to turn me off, it must be doing something really wrong.

This is word for word my feeling from the demo. Glad I waited on impressions.

The Hermit

Haven't checked this thread, but yeah I don't like it that much... And the references could be done much better.

27 years btw.

zroid

Banned
Really sad to hear people aren't liking this game much. I didn't buy it yet myself -- just have too much on my plate right now -- but it was definitely something I would have picked up down the road.

Not really sure anymore.

Roto13

Really sad to hear people aren't liking this game much. I didn't buy it yet myself -- just have too much on my plate right now -- but it was definitely something I would have picked up down the road.

Not really sure anymore.

It'll probably be part of the next Humble Indie Bundle and it'll be a much better value then. I don't think there's enough good here for $15, though.

Gadirok

Not sure if I want to pick this up. I played the demo on my vita, can't distinguish some things.

It seemed to be a whole mixup of alot of things, but nothing stood out to me. I was kind of confused with what was going on and lost, so I just followed whatever I was told to do.

Extremely fast paced if you ask me.

Hows the complete game? I didnt get to see the open world version.

zroid

Banned
It'll probably be part of the next Humble Indie Bundle and it'll be a much better value then. I don't think there's enough good here for $15, though.

That would be helpful. I'd rather use a Humble Bundle as a cheap way to test the waters than buy it outright for 15 bucks.

Also, seeing mention of PJ Phil in your review pretty much blew my mind :p

I can't get into this game at all. I've tried and tried, and I think I might try pulling it out again one day when I am traveling and have nothing else to play, but while there is there huge influx of fall releases that I can barely keep up with, this game is nowhere near of the top of my pile of games I want to/am looking forward to finishing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not unless they release a Mac version and a Linux version. Humble doesn't like to offer games that can't be played on most platforms. Which is why Super Meat Boy took a while to show up. I doubt RCR will be on Humble for a while. Also the fact that it was coded in DirectX instead of OpenGL which will make it harder to port if they decide to. Currently the developers answer to Mac version is "Use Parallels or WINE" which works fine for me.

I don't have any remorse. I'm getting my $14 worth out of this. But yeah, I probably would have waited a bit for it to go on sale in retrospect.

HAY, so I'm in unmitigated love with this game and have been for an unhealthily long time... as such, I want to TURN SOME FROWNS UPSIDE DOWN A-HYUCK.

I have 5 download codes for the soundtrack (VIRT, NORRIN RAD, FREAKY DNA) -- say what you will about the gameplay (many of you jerks have!), but there's no disputing the audio side of the presentation. Easily my "soundtrack of the year" with amazing, varied chip-work from three extreme talents.

So, uh, do you want one of those codes? Easy! Tell me what chiptunes mean(t) to you; "paint" me a word-picture (or actual picture!) featuring a childhood memory related to some bleeps-and-bloops you just couldn't get out of your head, or the time you realized FM synthesis was REAL MUSIC, or the time you just had to learn Mario 1-1 on guitar TO LIVE, etc. Five best* stories win. This thread isn't super-active so this may fall flat on its face, at which point I'll probably just ask for PMs and send the codes to the first 5 I get, but for now this seemed kind of fun and a good way to share in the nostalgia this game is so bathed in. Post entries in this thread, "submissions" are open for as long as it takes for me to find 5 I like (or I decide this is a bust and just give 'em out).

*as defined by me based solely on whim.

GOOD LUCK and finally:

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.

celebi23

HAY, so I'm in unmitigated love with this game and have been for an unhealthily long time... as such, I want to TURN SOME FROWNS UPSIDE DOWN A-HYUCK.

I have 5 download codes for the soundtrack (VIRT, NORRIN RAD, FREAKY DNA) -- say what you will about the gameplay (many of you jerks have!), but there's no disputing the audio side of the presentation. Easily my "soundtrack of the year" with amazing, varied chip-work from three extreme talents.

So, uh, do you want one of those codes? Easy! Tell me what chiptunes mean(t) to you; "paint" me a word-picture (or actual picture!) featuring a childhood memory related to some bleeps-and-bloops you just couldn't get out of your head, or the time you realized FM synthesis was REAL MUSIC, or the time you just had to learn Mario 1-1 on guitar TO LIVE, etc. Five best* stories win. This thread isn't super-active so this may fall flat on its face, at which point I'll probably just ask for PMs and send the codes to the first 5 I get, but for now this seemed kind of fun and a good way to share in the nostalgia this game is so bathed in. Post entries in this thread, "submissions" are open for as long as it takes for me to find 5 I like (or I decide this is a bust and just give 'em out).

GOOD LUCK and finally:

I think my first memory of chiptunes would have to either be Tetris or Pokémon Red on my Game Boy color. I grew up with a Sega Genesis so, I was kinda spoiled with great video game music but, with Pokémon Red, I could just stay in a town and listen to the music forever. Same thing happened with Pokémon Gold. I was pleasantly surprised that GameFreak included a "retro" soundtrack in Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. To me, chiptunes represent a very formative part of me transitioning from a kid to a young adult. I felt that same feeling again when playing Retro City Rampage. I found myself stopping in one area and just listening to the soundtrack. It brought back many great memories of some amazing soundtracks. So, that's why I would love a download code for the soundtrack.

DAMNIT

Someone beat my time by .4 and now I'm second in the 88 pedestrian story challenge. I tried to 3 hours last night but I can't even get close to my time. I didn't save the replay since I wasn't sure if other people could see it and now I don't remember which way I went.

The path on that challenge is key. You'll get mostly the same time going the same way since the variance in the number of spawned peds is low.
#1 and I are at 50.xx and noone else right now is under 54.00

celebi23

Oh, for those playing on a Mac (Using Wine), here are the cheat codes:
NOTE: These cheats disable saving, leaderboards & achievements until you relaunch the game, so, be careful!

Unlock All Characters (Unlocks all secret characters)
Up, Up, Up, Left, Right, Fn+Down Arrow, Ctrl, Fn+Down Arrow, Ctrl, Fn+Down Arrow

All Weapons (Gives you all weapons)
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Space, Ctrl

All Styles
Left, Left, Right, Right, Up, Down, Up, Down, Space, Ctrl

GAWD Mode (prevents death from damage)
Up, Up, Left, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down, Fn+Down Arrow, Space

GAWD Mode off
Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Fn+Down Arrow, Space

Lose the Cops (resets the threat meter)
Up, Up, Down, Down, Fn+Down Arrow, Ctrl, Fn+Down Arrow, Ctrl, Space

Open All Stages
Enter, Enter, Space, Enter, Enter, Space, Enter, Enter, Space, Ctrl, Ctrl

Red "Sweat" Mode
Space, Ctrl, Space, Enter, Space, Ctrl, Ctrl,
This one can be used and doesn't disable anything!

Speed Shoes
Right, Right, Up, Down, Left, Left, Up, Down, Fn+Down Arrow, Space

Super Stomp
Left, Left, Up, Down, Right, Right, Up, Down, Fn+Down Arrow, Space

Big Money (Gives you $100,000)
Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down, Down, Fn+Down Arrow, Ctrl

And here are all (?) of the MJ's Face-R-Us coupon codes:
Password - Effect
CARBONI - Anthony Carboni
DTOID - Destructoid Staff
ELECPLAY - Electric Playground TV Hosts
EMT - Epic Meal Time
MAXIMEAMIS - Maxime's friends (RCR game artist)
PJFP - PJ Fresh Phil from YTV Phil Guerreiro
POLYTRON - Polytron
GAIJIN - Unlocks Gaijin (Bit.Trip) Staff
MOJANG - Unlocks Mojang (Minecraft) Staff
POWER - Unlocks Chris Hoffman & Dan Adelman (Nintendo Power Staff)
ROMERO - Unlocks John Romero (Creator of Doom)
TEAMMEAT - Unlocks Team Meat (Super Meat Boy) Staff
URNOTE - Unlocks PS Blog crew
They all work in the PC version.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

GOOD LUCK and finally:

Haha, nice idea!

My most awkward memory of Chiptune / Classic game music comes from a time in Elementry school (Grades 1-5).

We had to do some weird type of interperative dance number, and I wanted some unique music for my group. Well, I told them I'd use Guile's Ending them from Street Fighter 2! They were hype to have Street Fighter Music for our dance... until they heard the choice, lol.

"NUH UH! That's not music from street fighter!"

"Yeah, it is! Track 26! Sound Test!"

I've always considered game music to be my main "genre" of musical taste, as awkward as that is! It's connected myself and family, too; We can hum a few bars of no-as-classic music such as from Milon's Secret Castle, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, or Ninja Crusaders, to each other, and those nostalgic smiles show.

It's great because so many others will just give VERY blank stares... but those themes were so important to us in our formulative years... and maintain memories now, and onward...

Eusis

There are far, far better games than this on Vita.

Hell, there are at least two better Canada-developed indie games on Vita.

They have shitty marketing, then.
No, Mutant Blob Attack and Sound Shapes definitely got plenty of attention.

I enjoyed the first half enough, and it'd probably still be pretty good with better balancing, but the last half got to be pretty bullshit, and I think I'm stuck on the last battles and
super hard genre changes are utter bullshit. At least give me double the damn life.

I think my first memory of chiptunes would have to either be Tetris or Pokémon Red on my Game Boy color. I grew up with a Sega Genesis so, I was kinda spoiled with great video game music but, with Pokémon Red, I could just stay in a town and listen to the music forever. Same thing happened with Pokémon Gold. I was pleasantly surprised that GameFreak included a "retro" soundtrack in Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. To me, chiptunes represent a very formative part of me transitioning from a kid to a young adult. I felt that same feeling again when playing Retro City Rampage. I found myself stopping in one area and just listening to the soundtrack. It brought back many great memories of some amazing soundtracks. So, that's why I would love a download code for the soundtrack.
A WINNER IS YOU! That warm, nostalgic feeling is definitely rooted in the chip subculture, and is part of why it's so awesome! I've paused to listen to music in the game countless times, and I owned and listened to the soundtrack for months before the game even released! You'd think I'd be sick of it; nope.
Haha, nice idea!

My most awkward memory of Chiptune / Classic game music comes from a time in Elementry school (Grades 1-5).

We had to do some weird type of interperative dance number, and I wanted some unique music for my group. Well, I told them I'd use Guile's Ending them from Street Fighter 2! They were hype to have Street Fighter Music for our dance... until they heard the choice, lol.

"NUH UH! That's not music from street fighter!"

"Yeah, it is! Track 26! Sound Test!"

I've always considered game music to be my main "genre" of musical taste, as awkward as that is! It's connected myself and family, too; We can hum a few bars of no-as-classic music such as from Milon's Secret Castle, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, or Ninja Crusaders, to each other, and those nostalgic smiles show.

It's great because so many others will just give VERY blank stares... but those themes were so important to us in our formulative years... and maintain memories now, and onward...
A WINNER IS YOU! Hearing Guile's ending theme took me right back to my ancestral basement, with my SNES hooked up to a tube TV WITH A DIAL (yup, no remote!) via RF, and the hours I spent sitting in front of it with my face nearly touching the glass. I could literally smell the static.

Looks like all you need to do to win is to play, folks!

DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY
3 codes remain.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A WINNER IS YOU! Hearing Guile's ending theme took me right back to my ancestral basement, with my SNES hooked up to a tube TV WITH A DIAL (yup, no remote!) via RF, and the hours I spent sitting in front of it with my face nearly touching the glass. I could literally smell the static.

WOHOO! Thanks a lot :)

Haha, the ancestral basement... our TV was one of those "Piece of furniture" table sized ones, with a Dial (that broke, and you had to use a screw driver or pliers to turn the channel), and it's color was probably off half the time... did I mention I DON'T miss RF units? lol. Was always so sad when the prongs broke on one, it cost money to replace those things, y'know?

Not trying to listen to the whole soundtrack before getting deeper into the game myself, but "Tune 6" is one that I just had to stop and rock out to when I heard it in game, and it's great being able to focus on it like this!

Also, "Politeness and Friendship" is probably the one that my brother and I raised a brow to most, because the beginning (well, the whole thing) reminds me of The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy!. Now THAT'S one that stuck with me, too... could just egg-out, listening to the title screen music...

ANY-way, thanks again! More Virt to go right alongside that fantastic Double Dragon Neon Soundtrack!

OmegaZero

I can see why people might get turned off by this game, but I am loving it. The music, the visuals, the references and easter eggs, the story, everything just clicks for me.

$15 well spent.

So how the hell do I get stuff I unlock in free roam to save? There's no save option, the auto save never comes on, and I even unlocked trophies for stuff I now have to unlock again -_- I got two of the free roam costumes and now I have to get them again... kind of want to kill myself. Is there any way to save them? Also:

GOOD LUCK and finally:

Two of the most memorable soundtracks I've ever heard in my entire life are the Megaman 1 and 2 soundtracks. I remember those days riding the school bus, humming Bubble Man's theme and Snake Man's theme to myself. Kids would actually make fun of me! I thought of how crazy it was that there were people in the world who didn't love Megaman. I even got into arguments with other gamers about who was better, Megaman, Mario, Link, etc. and I would always defend the Blue Bomber for how amazing those chip tunes are. I still listen to them this day, and I still consider 2+3 to be some of the greatest games ever made.

So how the hell do I get stuff I unlock in free roam to save? There's no save option, the auto save never comes on, and I even unlocked trophies for stuff I now have to unlock again -_- I got two of the free roam costumes and now I have to get them again... kind of want to kill myself. Is there any way to save them? Also:

Two of the most memorable soundtracks I've ever heard in my entire life are the Megaman 1 and 2 soundtracks. I remember those days riding the school bus, humming Bubble Man's theme and Snake Man's theme to myself. Kids would actually make fun of me! I thought of how crazy it was that there were people in the world who didn't love Megaman. I even got into arguments with other gamers about who was better, Megaman, Mario, Link, etc. and I would always defend the Blue Bomber for how amazing those chip tunes are. I still listen to them this day, and I still consider 2+3 to be some of the greatest games ever made.
A WINNER IS YOU! You know what's even more crazy than there being people in the world not enamored with Megaman? The fact that most of them work at Capcom. Sigh. I waffled on a purchase of that Japanese eCapcom exclusive soundtrack Energy Tank for MONTHS; struggled through the account creation and everything, then decided against it. Even thinking about it now gets my heart a-flutter, so I hope my impulse control is still working. Seeing how beautiful it looks now (the art was placeholder for most of my salivatory period as it hadn't yet been printed) scares me...

So, two left; anyone else want to play? I feel like some sort of viral marketer for this game, which I guess I am, but only as a fan who fell in love and wanted to share. It really bothered me to see all of the positivity sucked out of the thread when the reviews started to hit (definitely not saying the criticisms weren't legitimate, only that I was very easily able to look past them to find the extremely enjoyable game beneath) so when the soundtrack "ultimate fan pack" was announced I knew what I had to do. I've spent tons on this game already, what was a few dollars more to share the love with my GAF brethren?

A WINNER IS YOU! You know what's even more crazy than there being people in the world not enamored with Megaman? The fact that most of them work at Capcom. Sigh. I waffled on a purchase of that Japanese eCapcom exclusive soundtrack Energy Tank for MONTHS; struggled through the account creation and everything, then decided against it. Even thinking about it now gets my heart a-flutter, so I hope my impulse control is still working. Seeing how beautiful it looks now (the art was placeholder for most of my salivatory period as it hadn't yet been printed) scares me

Oh wow, I never knew they had that! I actually own a Megaman E-tank coffee mug. I use it every morning with my coffee. Thank you so much! I'll be jamming to this later when I get home from work :) Also, AMAZING avatar, I'm so excited for the new season that's FINALLY coming.

Eusis

I can see why people might get turned off by this game, but I am loving it. The music, the visuals, the references and easter eggs, the story, everything just clicks for me.

$15 well spent.
Strangely enough, while I'd admit it's probably a poorly made game compared to, say, Limbo (sticking out as one of my biggest regrets at $15), I still enjoyed it more than enough to justify the price tag. It probably helps the game IS an open world title, so I can just screw around whereas Limbo doesn't exactly allow that.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How do you get the PS3 version of the game? I'm trying to download it from the PS3 store, but it only the Vita version is available to download.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How do you get the PS3 version of the game? I'm trying to download it from the PS3 store, but it only the Vita version is available to download.

It's Cross-Buy, so if you buy the "Vita" version, the Vita, PSN Demo, and PSN Unlock key are all added to your download history.

So even if you can only find the fita version, just go ahead and get it, it should all work out in DL history / cart.

Top Bottom