• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

As I recall the thing about Terranigma and region isn't that it will not play properly in 60hz, but that the euro version of the game needs to be started up in 50hz for it to even start, as well as it having region locking. Only reason why I "know" this is that years and years ago I remember looking into how to get the cart itself to work on my system and it was a process of 2 system switches, a region one and a hz one. Or to track down one of the action replay carts that had 2 cart slots. It also wouldn't play on any of the "play any game" clone systems that were out at the time.

I do have a pal cart of it but still would pay for a good repro. Think I'm better off getting one of those flash carts though instead.
Super simple to add a 50/60Hz switch to any (PAL or NTSC) console. I did one to a Super Fami years ago to have 'one console to rule them all' for my set up. Never had Terranigma though.

televator

You can find very high quality reproduction carts from multiple Etsy storefronts.

I have obtained Castlevania Bloodlines and Alien Soldier from a particularly good one and will be using them again in the future.

I've seen it, yeah... but is there a joint that makes full repros (manual, cases...) of Crusader of Centy?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wooo Black Friday! Woooooo Cyber Monday!

Woooooo I'm broke! No retro games for me, this month. Unless you count Mega Man X8 on PC. In any case, it might be a good time to dig into some of those Saturn games I bought during the summer. The gift that keeps on giving!

I have Castlevania Bloodlines in box. That's commonly a repo? How do I know if mine is or not? Open it and look at the EPROM? I wish I still had my copy from when I was a kid.

TeaJay

I have Castlevania Bloodlines in box. That's commonly a repo? How do I know if mine is or not? Open it and look at the EPROM? I wish I still had my copy from when I was a kid.

That's one way, maybe you can post up a few pics and compare on eBay listings? Or if someone has the real deal.

RAIDEN1

Can anyone here recommend the best way to play ShenMue 2? Without getting a dreamcast? Is it PC emulation and what version on PC is the best one to go for? A version that has the option of both U.S and Jap dialogue?

Can anyone here recommend the best way to play ShenMue 2? Without getting a dreamcast? Is it PC emulation and what version on PC is the best one to go for? A version that has the option of both U.S and Jap dialogue?

I can't recommend you anything in the way of piracy or emulation but if you'd like English dialog in addition to text I would recommend playing the Xbox version of Shenmue 2.

Timu

DF Retro just did an episode on this, worth a watch as well to cover your questions.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been looking for Mystical Ninja 64, but I managed to find the sequel (the one that switched back to 2D) only to discover the N64 AC Adapter and controllers I owned are gone. Thought my brother might've had them at his place but nope, they seem to have disappeared---I think one of his college friends had used it and didn't return all of it perhaps.

Oh well, gonna swing by the store I found the game at tomorrow and hope they can sell me the AC Adapter without having to buy a new console.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
30 minute video from NHK about the Game Preservation Society.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/lens/20161128/

Inside Lens
Game Preservation - The Quest

Many consider video games as a key part of "Cool Japan". However, many others frown upon these pop culture icons. What's worse is that most games from the 1970's to the 90's are being lost to time, corrosion and neglect. Now, 2 video game enthusiasts, a French citizen and a Japanese surgeon, are on a mission to save these games from extinction. They founded the Game Preservation Society, an NPO whose goal is to restore and archive video games from the past. This documentary is not only a tribute to their work but also to the pixel art of Japanese graphic artist Amaya Pixel.

D.Lo

After my whining here earlier about repros I of course just bought a couple of new ones.

Tobias/PCE Works 'retail' releasss of unreleased PC Engine games, I can't get enough I love this shit.

Twinbee Returns
Force Gear
Rockman
Space Fantasy Zone

These things are off the charts in quality.

Of course he also makes repros of released games, but I skip those, it's these unreleased ones that get me, I love alternate history stuff. I already own the two Konami shooters too because I have Tokemei Memorial. That said rockman is pretty iffy, though I do already technically own four real copies of it incluing my incredibly expensive CIB Famicom original. Yes the above reasoning is how I live with myself.

TeaJay

After my whining here earlier about repros I of course just bought a couple of new ones.

Tobias/PCE Works 'retail' releasss of unreleased PC Engine games, I can't get enough I love this shit.

Twinbee Returns
Force Gear
Rockman
Space Fantasy Zone

I remember some guy making a PCE version of Mega Man with CD-quality music. Is this the same project?

Mega

Banned
Can the PVM line in North America play 50hz games natively?

Yes, all of them can.

8.21.13ak100_9258.jpg

TeaJay

Well, earlier we talked about repros, and basically, isn't this the exact same thing as those seedy chinese bootlegs? You take a property that's not yours and make money off of it.

But I will say that I understand buying this kind of quality reproduction a hell of a lot more than those chinese carts that are held together with duct tape. PCE works makes a quality product, even if it's a repro. Hell, even if I swore I wouldn't buy physical games anymore, kinda makes even me want one.

Well, earlier we talked about repros, and basically, isn't this the exact same thing as those seedy chinese bootlegs? You take a property that's not yours and make money off of it.

But I will say that I understand buying this kind of quality reproduction a hell of a lot more than those chinese carts that are held together with duct tape. PCE works makes a quality product, even if it's a repro. Hell, even if I swore I wouldn't buy physical games anymore, kinda makes even me want one.

Maybe. I think porting/remaking a game to a contemporary console it wasn't made for is really cool. I'd like to make a Super Metroid for the Genesis one day.

IrishNinja

Twinbee Returns
Force Gear
Rockman
Space Fantasy Zone

These things are off the charts in quality.

ah, that's cool - Mzo on here bought an earlier one of theirs (i wanna say) and man was that fantastic, like a high bar for repros

...this is damn good stuff here

D.Lo

Yeah it is dodgy, espeacially Rockman which is a real game (just not for this console). Essentially it's an unauthorised port.

The others were never retail products on any console so are not reproductions per-se. So I think they're kind of on the level of selling a tshirt with some Zelda art on it - it'a not pretending to be a bootleg of a real original game, but is breaching trademarks.

But goddamn is the quality high, much higher than most actual game releases of that era or now.

C-Sword

Not familiar with that brand... how's their track record.

Lol if they outsell the NES classic edition thanks to Nintendo's poor distribution tho.

Aside from their controllers, track record is pretty good, their systems can play games that don't normally run on clone consoles.

BTails

So I'm watching Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV in preperation for the game, and there's a scene that takes place in an abandoned arcade. Seems like someone animating the movie was a Taito fan: there's an Operation Wolf cabinet, along with Darius and Elevator Action posters in the background!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So I'm watching Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV in preperation for the game, and there's a scene that takes place in an abandoned arcade. Seems like someone animating the movie was a Taito fan: there's an Operation Wolf cabinet, along with Darius and Elevator Action posters in the background!

Square Enix owns Taito now, so that's the connection there.

Any opinions on the best version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?

I'd like to (re-)buy one of the PS2, GameCube, or Xbox versions. I already have it on PC and PS3 but I'm not really satisfied with either of those ports.

Danny Dudekisser

Any opinions on the best version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?

I'd like to (re-)buy one of the PS2, GameCube, or Xbox versions. I already have it on PC and PS3 but I'm not really satisfied with either of those ports.

What didn't you like about the PC version? I've kinda had the same question about the various Sands of Time versions... never actually played the thing, though.

What didn't you like about the PC version? I've kinda had the same question about the various Sands of Time versions... never actually played the thing, though.

Controller stuff mostly, pretty common for older PC ports. You pretty much need a controller to play that version but the on screen prompts are shit. Plus there was something wrong with the way it handled analog on my 360 controller, it only supported a POV-hat or something like that (felt super weird). I think it worked better with my Classic Controller via usb adapter but was still annoying.

Some effects break on modern graphics cards, like the fog didn't work correctly on my old 6950 (not sure about my new card).

I'd just rather not deal with these kind of problems. It's something you can overcome but when you're like "yeah let's play Sands of Time" and then spend an hour trying to fix the thing before even starting it leaves a really sour taste.

Khaz

I don't remember having any problem with a 360 controller in Sands of time? That was a long time ago though. I do remember having problems with The warrior within, which had no deadzone meaning the character / camera was forever drifting in some direction.

When in doubt, the Xbox version is usually the better one.

BTails

The Xbox release of Sands of Time had higher quality character models, if I recall correctly: I remember seeing a comparison where only the Xbox version had individual fingers on the Prince's hands.

Danny Dudekisser

Controller stuff mostly, pretty common for older PC ports. You pretty much need a controller to play that version but the on screen prompts are shit. Plus there was something wrong with the way it handled analog on my 360 controller, it only supported a POV-hat or something like that (felt super weird). I think it worked better with my Classic Controller via usb adapter but was still annoying.

Some effects break on modern graphics cards, like the fog didn't work correctly on my old 6950 (not sure about my new card).

I'd just rather not deal with these kind of problems. It's something you can overcome but when you're like "yeah let's play Sands of Time" and then spend an hour trying to fix the thing before even starting it leaves a really sour taste.

Lol, that's kinda where I was. Tried to get it to work, but the controller issues killed it for me. I should probably get the Xbox version of it.

I don't have fond memories of how hit and miss Ubi games used to be on PC.

D.Lo

Yes, the refresh rate is dictated by the hardware on SEGA consoles.
Except Dreamcast lol.

Generally all consoles until the PS1 played at a hardware fixed 50Hz or 60Hz. PS1 and N64 and onward could support both and handled it in software. So apart from the 1-3% of games that got PAL optimisation, almost all games for all PAL consoles all the way to Saturn run perfectly on NTSC consoles, and it only gets problematic from PS1/N64 onward, Sony PAL stuff especially is all pretty bad.

An exception is VCS, which had different palettes for PAL and NTSC. Games all work but have weird colours across territories.

Khaz

I really dislike it when the refresh rate is locked in software. The PAL PS1 library especially is worthless because of that, save for a handful of exclusive games. Everything else needs to be imported from NTSC regions to be played at the intended speed. At least in hardware you can mod your console and play your local games with the proper refresh rate.

Top Bottom