• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Krelian

Got myself an early Christmas present: a Super Famicom Jr. with RGB mod. I know the mod is supposed to be easy to do yourself but I don't trust myself to do anything like that and I don't have the equipment either.
2016-12-0312.10.509xu4n.jpg
It's really small and light compared to the original model. I'd never seen a SNES mini or SFC Jr. in person before. Love what they've done with this little thing.

Now I gotta wait for more games to test it with. I do have one game and that seems to work fine but I may have sync issues with my OSSC, which is a bummer.

Eh. I kinda feel people on that. I don't agree with him, but at this point NES (and the GameBoy on the Nintendo side) are so vastly removed from modern gaming in terms of basic design and structure that I think a lot of people don't know how to deal with it. It's kind of like they're a different dialect of the same language.

Personally, I find the instant booting in to game, the arcadey design philosophy that makes lives scarce and rewards perfection, and the willingness to try new things so engaging and interesting that I don't feel any sort of negativity towards 8 bit games, but I can understand why someone might.

I'm gonna say I at least agree with him on Metroid. But then again, I could never get into the original Metroid. It was a little too esoteric and sprawling for me, even before it was considered old.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Yeah I saw that and it pissed me off, especially considering his opening post was so sparse and devoid of any meaningful arguments except for him watching his family reacting better to Snes-games.

By the way, I also think the original Metroid is hard to get into, and its definitely the wrong Nes-game to check out. But Mario 3, the Mega Mans, the Capcom Disney-games, most of the action-plattfomers, the hybrid games (Blaster Master, Guardian Legend) and so on, works much better for new players imo. He should check out the library instead of going on gaf complaining about it imo.

BTails

I love the original Metroid, but it definitely is not for everyone. If you don't like drawing maps, just skip it. Also, starting with next to no health every time you die or use a password, and having to grind for health is just plain bad game design.

The folks in that thread who mentioned that you're meant to play some of those games (Zelda) with a map are on the money, too. Another place where modern players kinda start from the wrong place.

Morfeo

I love the original Metroid, but it definitely is not for everyone. If you don't like drawing maps, just skip it. Also, starting with next to no health every time you die or use a password, and having to grind for health is just plain bad game design.

Yeah, the fact that the game doesnt start you out with full health is the single biggest flaw of the game imo. When I play it, i always have to play it completely in one sitting because of this.

The folks in that thread who mentioned that you're meant to play some of those games (Zelda) with a map are on the money, too. Another place where modern players kinda start from the wrong place.

Yep, when you bought the game back in the day, you got the map in the manual, so the game was intended that way.

Eh. I kinda feel people on that. I don't agree with him, but at this point NES (and the GameBoy on the Nintendo side) are so vastly removed from modern gaming in terms of basic design and structure that I think a lot of people don't know how to deal with it. It's kind of like they're a different dialect of the same language.

Personally, I find the instant booting in to game, the arcadey design philosophy that makes lives scarce and rewards perfection, and the willingness to try new things so engaging and interesting that I don't feel any sort of negativity towards 8 bit games, but I can understand why someone might.
I just don't agree that it's fair to write off an entire system over two games. Especially ones as groundbreaking as Zelda and Metroid; of course they're going to feel archaic, they are the first games in their genres.

The depth and breadth of the NES library goes well beyond a handful of genre defining games. You could even stick entirely to say 1989 and later games and still have a hell of a library.

I just don't agree that it's fair to write off an entire system over two games. Especially ones as groundbreaking as Zelda and Metroid; of course they're going to feel archaic, they are the first games in their genres.

The depth and breadth of the NES library goes well beyond a handful of genre defining games. You could even stick entirely to say 1989 and later games and still have a hell of a library.
Yeah, it's dumb to make over generalized statements, but that's true universally. I mean people in this thread and other retro threads routinely make comments about "modern games". What does that even mean? If we're going to laugh at the ridiculousness of writing off a console's library, where does that leave comments writing off an entire generation and more of games?

I understand what you mean and agree, but still. RetroGAF can be a bit of an echochamber so I thought it was worth noting this.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, it's dumb to make over generalized statements, but that's true universally. I mean people in this thread and other retro threads routinely make comments about "modern games". What does that even mean? If we're going to laugh at the ridiculousness of writing off a console's library, where does that leave comments writing off an entire generation and more of games?

I understand what you mean and agree, but still. RetroGAF can be a bit of an echochamber so I thought it was worth noting this.

Yeah, but when people decry the state of modern games, I think people know that's shorthand for "movie wannabes like Uncharted 4" and not all modern games. It's a complaint about a general industry trend, and I think that's entirely fair.

Though, I think it's also fair to write off an entire console's library. I'm willing to posit that the CDi is useless. I just think the OP of that one thread doesn't particularly know what he's talking about.

Yeah, but when people decry the state of modern games, I think people know that's shorthand for "movie wannabes like Uncharted 4" and not all modern games. It's a complaint about a general industry trend, and I think that's entirely fair.

Though, I think it's also fair to write off an entire console's library. I'm willing to posit that the CDi is useless. I just think the OP of that one thread doesn't particularly know what he's talking about.
I'd use "AAA" but people seem to believe that's a byword for "the best gamez evarrrr" and not just overproduced, expensive, boring, cinematic or generic open world nonsense.

D.Lo

Yeah, but when people decry the state of modern games, I think people know that's shorthand for "movie wannabes like Uncharted 4" and not all modern games. It's a complaint about a general industry trend, and I think that's entirely fair
That'a certainly what I mean. I assume it's obvious the meaning isn't 'every single game of the lat five years'. But the trends of the biggest budget headliner games.

The guy from the thread has a sort of point, the original Zelda and Metroid are clunky and brutal. The problem is he extrapolates that out to a console with Contra, Super Contra, Ninja Gaiden 2, Shatterhand, Mario 3, Rockman 3 and dozens of other brilliant games. Certainly the SNES style of less clunky games had crystalised in the latter half of the Famicom/NES's life.

Morfeo

Yeah, its not about modern games per se, alot of modern games are great. It is the trend where cinematics/graphics/story is supplanting gameplay as the focus of the game, that I and other criticize when we talk about modern games.

My point of view here is that its completely fine to not like Nes-style games and it is completely fine to like movie-wannabes like Uncharted. What I hate is people coming from the Uncharted-likes, spending five minutes with Metroid on an emulator, and then posting a thread on gaf decrying a whole console worth of games as though that particular opinion on that game can be used to generalize to a whole generation of games. That is what pisses me off. At least spend some time checking out the games you are calling rubbish!: And as for retro-gaf being an echo-chamber, i am sure that is also mostly right, but at least most of us follow the modern industry and know about the big games, and even play a few of them. So i think that makes the situation pretty different.

IrishNinja

i don't dig hand-holding but love the shit out of uncharted/TLOU games. there's lots of FPS, sports, etc that don't appeal to me but stuff like that was true in the day, as well...i'm just grateful we get nods to solid risk/reward balance from avenues like the Souls games

hey RetroGAF,
here's my haul from last week =) (now i have 2 copies of Dino Crisis 1+2)
5Mdzsf7.jpg

damn, this is one of your best hauls yet man! which of these gems have you not yet played?

BTails

I too am a big fan of Naughty Dog's work. Also loved the latest Tomb Raider games. I play every Halo, love the Metal Gear series, and giant RPGs like Skyrim or the Final Fantasy series.

...I also handdraw maps for 89s/90s dungeon crawlers. So I definitely think there's room for both interests.

i don't dig hand-holding but love the shit out of uncharted/TLOU games. there's lots of FPS, sports, etc that don't appeal to me but stuff like that was true in the day, as well...i'm just grateful we get nods to solid risk/reward balance from avenues like the Souls games

damn, this is one of your best hauls yet man! which of these gems have you not yet played?

thanks irish! i haven't played any of the gamecube titles. (i totally neglected my gamecube back in the days outside of the resident evils)

i'm pretty hyped about skies of arcadia. hopefully i'll get to it once i'm done with FF15

Tain

I honestly can't imagine losing access to either old or new games. I'm view claims that "modern games suck" about as poorly as I do weak opinions of old games. Even trying to narrow things down to "AAA" is pretty meaningless, as that either means you're only playing a very small handful of high profile franchises (if you treat the label as most do) or you're ignoring great generally larger-budget games like Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Titanfall 2, XCOM 2, etc.

But this isn't the thread for that, lol. This is the thread where I talk about how I've been playing Dracula XX lately.

I haven't wrapped it up yet, but this game in general is really inconsistent so far. It seems to be more challenging earlier on than Dracula X (which I just replayed over Thanksgiving), but the past few stages have been relatively a lot easier. Huh. The backgrounds, too, were gorgeous in some of the earlier areas but now I'm seeing some awfully repetitive scenes (the opening of that castle wall stage is seriously lo-fi shit). The worst part of the game, though, is easily the lack of variety in the enemies. It feels like so much of the game is the same core, core set: spearmen, medusa heads, bone turrets. Obviously these are franchise staples, but I don't remember other games lingering on these enemy types (especially the spearmen) to this degree.

I know it's not a widely-loved game or anything, but I don't think the game's flaws are caused by it being a bad or limited re-imagining of Rondo.

I honestly can't imagine losing access to either old or new games. I'm view claims that "modern games suck" about as poorly as I do weak opinions of old games. Even trying to narrow things down to "AAA" is pretty meaningless, as that either means you're only playing a very small handful of high profile franchises (if you treat the label as most do) or you're ignoring great generally larger-budget games like Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Titanfall 2, XCOM 2, etc.

But this isn't the thread for that, lol. This is the thread where I talk about how I've been playing Dracula XX lately.

I haven't wrapped it up yet, but this game in general is really inconsistent so far. It seems to be more challenging earlier on than Dracula X (which I just replayed over Thanksgiving), but the past few stages have been relatively a lot easier. Huh. The backgrounds, too, were gorgeous in some of the earlier areas but now I'm seeing some awfully repetitive scenes (the opening of that castle wall stage is seriously lo-fi shit). The worst part of the game, though, is easily the lack of variety in the enemies. It feels like so much of the game is the same core, core set: spearmen, medusa heads, bone turrets. Obviously these are franchise staples, but I don't remember other games lingering on these enemy types (especially the spearmen) to this degree.

I know it's not a widely-loved game or anything, but I don't think the game's flaws are caused by it being a bad or limited re-imagining of Rondo.

I tried to play XX on Wii U Virtual Console after finishing Rondo a few months ago. The levels were not very well put together and there was some very odd re-use of levels or at least parts of levels from older Castlevania games. I think I got about 3/4 of the way though before just stopping.

You're right that it's more challenging but I think it's because there is some really unfair stage design going on.

I got my girlfriend an AVS as a birthday gift a few weeks ago and ended up playing Castlevania. This put me in the mood to jump back into Bloodlines on Genesis. Since I was on a roll with those games, I went back to Dracula X and holy shit, is it bad. It looks and sounds good enough, but hot damn, it just feels like a chore to play. It's what has motivated me to want to seek out and play Rondo of Blood.

Actraiser is great. I need to get on the VC. It's one of the final SNES games I need to get there.

I'll second the Actraiser love. I bought a year or so ago at a steal price and loved it to bits (bytes)? The music, the smushing together of two genres, so good.

I really wish I'd played it as a child. Nostalgia plus that music? Heaven. It made me want to start my Soul Blazer-Illusion of Gaia-Terranigma cycle all over again.

Olly88

I bought a German copy of ActRaiser, so I have a little trouble playing it. The "Action Mode" that the PAL versions have is good though and what I'd be more likely to play anyway.

bodine1231

Ok so this happened out of nowhere today. I just got an AVS in late last week and didnt have any games to play on it ( I'm waiting for my Everdrive to ship,sold my og carts years and years ago),so I thought I'd hit up Craigslist or local eBay and see if I could find some games to hold me over. Well, someone posted this the same morning,I couldnt afford the asking price (he knew the value), but I managed to trade him my spare TV for the lot of it.

It was actually really cool too because I went to his house to pick it up and brought the AVS over to test the games and we ended up playing 2 player stuff for a couple hours. The games were stuff his mother pulled from the attic and havent been touched in twenty years so he was excited to play some of the games for the last time. He also had a bunch of boxed N64 and also may have some boxed SNES at his moms house but I'm not sure I can afford what he would ask. It's a nice way to start an NES collection though.

Even still he was a super nice dude,was a pretty fun day.

Olly88

Ok so this happened out of nowhere today. I just got an AVS in late last week and didnt have any games to play on it ( I'm waiting for my Everdrive to ship,sold my og carts years and years ago),so I thought I'd hit up Craigslist or local eBay and see if I could find some games to hold me over. Well, someone posted this the same morning,I couldnt afford the asking price (he knew the value), but I managed to trade him my spare TV for the lot of it.

It was actually really cool too because I went to his house to pick it up and brought the AVS over to test the games and we ended up playing 2 player stuff for a couple hours. The games were stuff his mother pulled from the attic and havent been touched in twenty years so he was excited to play some of the games for the last time. He also had a bunch of boxed N64 and also may have some boxed SNES at his moms house but I'm not sure I can afford what he would ask. It's a nice way to start an NES collection though.

Even still he was a super nice dude,was a pretty fun day.

Jesus. What TV was it you gave him?

bodine1231

good stuff! glad it was legit as opposed to that neogeo scam poster.

Lol dude,the EXACT same thing when through my mind when I contacted him.

Yeah it was a nice TV (1080p oled) but I bought a KS8000 and havent used the oled in months and couldnt sell it locally for a good price.

Jesus. What TV was it you gave him?

34885238-9030-4231-8a13-8f2f8d4548b0_zpsdmxa77na.jpg.html

Who are you and how did you get into my house? I see my vizio sound bar remote there too. Are you the one who keeps turning up the bass on my subwoofer? If I open that Saturn and see Panzer Dragoon Saga in there, I might lose my mind.

All joking aside, the white Saturn is the best Saturn. It was, however, not fun getting Panzer Dragoon Saga to work on it though. It needs a special code even with the Action Replay.

bodine1231

unnamed_zpsn5k60cql.jpg

Who are you and how did you get into my house? I see my vizio sound bar remote there too. Are you the one who keeps turning up the bass on my subwoofer? If I open that Saturn and see Panzer Dragoon Saga in there, I might lose my mind.

All joking aside, the white Saturn is the best Saturn. It was, however, not fun getting Panzer Dragoon Saga to work on it though. It needs a special code even with the Action Replay.

Haha,nah you'll find mostly shmups like Batsugun and DoDonPachi in mine. Your's is clean,I really need to clean mine and my white PC Engine .

D.Lo

Haha,nah you'll find mostly shmups like Batsugun and DoDonPachi in mine. Your's is clean,I really need to clean mine and my white PC Engine .
White Saturn is the worst console in terms of yellowing. It's the only thing I've had re-yellow after a serious blast of peroxide cream.

White Saturn is the worst console in terms of yellowing. It's the only thing I've had re-yellow after a serious blast of peroxide cream.

Next thing you'll tell me Saturn games are subject to disc rot...

I hope not in regards to the yellowing. I just bought this Saturn from Japan about 3 months ago. I'm sure the lens will go soon too.

Mmmm. Maybe I should collect only cart games.

Next thing you'll tell me Saturn games are subject to disc rot...

I hope not in regards to the yellowing. I just bought this Saturn from Japan about 3 months ago. I'm sure the lens will go soon too.

Mmmm. Maybe I should collect only cart games.

The guy behind GDEMU makes a CD Drive emulator for the Saturn.

D.Lo

My main Saturn is a (I assume rare) white Hong Kong model, NTSC-J and 240V. Bought new in about 1998 I think.

Never missed a beat in terms of playing games. The cart slot is iffy at this point though, but always works after 1-2 tries.

It yellowed about 10 years in, I fixed it a couple of years ago but it has come back, much worse than anything else I have ever treated.

Don't fuck with the cart slot as much as you can help it. That is the biggest Achilles' heel of that system.

That is good advice. My last Saturn, from 1998 or so, had the lens and the cart slot both went bad.

I actually meant collecting cart only systems, like Snes and Nes. I collect mainly cause I love the games, but its nice when they hold their value, ie avoiding disc rot.

Top Bottom