• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
Anything with the Genesis logo on it is instantly gross to me. Nasty logo design which kills the sexy system. Barf. MD for life.

Props for digging the Wii though.

So much this

I purchased an X'eye to never ever see the Genesis logo ever again.

I even at the time purchased a japanese MD2 before getting my X'eye.

There's a lot more than just that.

I'd also argue all 3 Mass Effect games are better played on 360 or PS3 than PC cause you can't use controllers on those games on PC and the mouse/keyboard controls are not very good. There are also fan hacks/bindings to map on controller support to the PC version but I don't think the implementations are as good as just playing them on console.

In the case of Prince of Persia 2008, though, while the base game is better on PC because of the better graphics and performance, the PC version never got the DLC that was basically the ending to the game.

I messed up with KOF13 but I don't think Turok is available on digital platforms for PC. You'd have to track down a disc.

I guess I would include anything where the PC version is not available for purchase digitally or somehow comprimised or just a terrible version or broken on modern OS.

That would include games like Raven's Wolfenstein.

Timu

In the case of Prince of Persia 2008, though, while the base game is better on PC because of the better graphics and performance, the PC version never got the DLC that was basically the ending to the game.
That sucks.

I messed up with KOF13 but I don't think Turok is available on digital platforms for PC. You'd have to track down a disc.

I guess I would include anything where the PC version is not available for purchase digitally or somehow comprimised or just a terrible version or broken on modern OS.

That would include games like Raven's Wolfenstein.
When you said Turok 2006, you're actually referring to Turok 2008 since there was no new Turok game that came out in 2006.

Woops. My bad
It's ok!

Havoc2049

Anything with the Genesis logo on it is instantly gross to me. Nasty logo design which kills the sexy system. Barf. MD for life.

I think the Sega Genesis CDX has a better logo and looks better that the Sega Multi-Mega. The Multi-Mega looks rather generic and plain.

sega_cdx.jpg

DSCF4465.jpg

hey guys, i brought my first PAL wii game. looks like i have to homebrew my wii to play it NTSC.

i got a few titles the last few days but been waiting for a chance to take pics and post. i'll try to do it this after weekend or when i get a chance.

With Wii Homebrew and Nintendont and a big enough SD card the WiiU is like the best Nintendo machine.

I realize it's different because it's HDMI but I think gamecube looks even better on Nintendont than Component cables.

With Wii Homebrew and Nintendont and a big enough SD card the WiiU is like the best Nintendo machine.

I realize it's different because it's HDMI but I think gamecube looks even better on Nintendont than Component cables.

if i get an OSSC, i'll try that. i haven't hooked up the wii u i got yet but SheepyGuy recommended i plug it into my hdtv so that may be a good time to try nintendont over hdmi.

so far i've only been using a CRT (Sony BVM) rgb/component and have my wii hooked into it.

Yes Boss!

I think the Sega Genesis CDX has a better logo and looks better that the Sega Multi-Mega. The Multi-Mega looks rather generic and plain.

No denying that! Personally this is my absolute favorite 16-bit Sega product. So classy. I know most folks don't dig the MD2 but so pretty:

9384AC4A-2E45-4B59-83FE-025E292FADC9.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've always thought the Megadrive 2 looks worlds better than the original. The original is pretty damn ugly. But... better sound quality, so that's kinda what I'm stuck with.

Peltz

I've always thought the Megadrive 2 looks worlds better than the original. The original is pretty damn ugly. But... better sound quality, so that's kinda what I'm stuck with.

Genesis Model 1 looked cool at the time, but yea it feels so hollow now. Not my favorite hardware aesthetically.

D.Lo

Genesis Model 1 looked cool at the time, but yea it feels so hollow now. Not my favorite hardware aesthetically.
Needlesly large and hollow, designed to look aggressive, like a souped up sports car, to 'differentiate' itself in the market. IMO The N64 is the design successor to the Mega Drive. Large, black, 'statement' design. Which was up against an understated grey console whose form followed function in the brutalism mold (Super Famicom, PSX). PS2 also took some of this aesthetic on, and was a monolithic black 'statement' design too.

In any case the Mega Drive is certainly better looking than the horrific US SNES.

Mega Drive, PS2 etc can get fucked with their grills and thin chasm lines in the plastic though, ie dust collecting nightmares.

Yes Boss!

Needlesly large and hollow, designed to look aggressive, like a souped up sports car, to 'differentiate' itself in the market. IMO The N64 is the design successor to the Mega Drive. Large, black, 'statement' design. Which was up against an understated grey console whose form followed function in the brutalism mold (Super Famicom, PSX). PS2 also took some of this aesthetic on, and was a monolithic black 'statement' design too.

In any case the Mega Drive is certainly better looking than the horrific US SNES.

Mega Drive, PS2 etc can get fucked with their grills and thin chasm lines in the plastic though, ie dust collecting nightmares.

I think the takeaway is that most game systems look trashy and cheap. Save for a few like the SFC, DC, PS2 Slim/Xbox One S.

Btw, the MD2 feels just as cheap and plasticky as the Model 1.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Nah. The Mega Drive wasn't a sports car, it was a Saturn, after they redesigned those cars to look aggressive and nice. Someone cruises by like "cash me in my Saturn" and I'm like "bitch, that's a car for a 16 year old girl."

Great games, though.

D.Lo

I think the takeaway is that most game systems look trashy and cheap. Save for a few like the SFC, DC, PS2 Slim/Xbox One S.

Btw, the MD2 feels just as cheap and plasticky as the Model 1.
I think console designs fall into three broad design motifs

Statement design (where form does not really follow function)
Eg Atari VCS, Mega Drive, SuperGrafix, N64, PS2, PS3 (original)

Primarily function driven
PC Engine, Super Famicom, AV Famicom/NES top loader, PS1

Bland/nondescript - ie without context you can't even tell it's a console
Wii, Wii U, Xbox One

There are degrees within each. Eg for bland/nondescript, The Xbox One S has some small defining elements, wheras Wii/Wii U are aggressively nondescript.

And you have those that are in one category but have elements of another. Like the superb design of the Gamecube, which is kind of like the most recent Mac Pro design wise - it's such a function driven design that it becomes a statement.

Some are a bad mixes of design categories. The original Xbox is broadly a basic PC box, but lathered with 'badass dudebro speed ridges'. Or the original 360 - it's primarily bland/nondescript but has the dumb curvature added to add an element of statement.

My favourite designs are ones that nail their chic. The Mark III and original Master System ooze 70s/early 80s futurism, the former looks like it could be a prop on a 70s sci-fi show. US/PAL NES is similar too, mid/late 80s sci-fi for that one. I already mentioned the Gamecube, and in a similar vein the original PC Engine is function to the point of statement - top tier engineering. Super Famicom nails the '90s Japanese edutainment' look.

I honestly don't think there has been a really good design for a home console since the Gamecube. All PS3s are pretty stupid. Wii/Wii U are nothing. The final 360 model, PS4 Slim and Xbox One S are decent but nothing special. Switch is pretty slick but is a hybrid. Most handhelds have been quite good though, with the exception of the DS Fat and original 3DS.

D.Lo

Eh I really don't like the PSP/Vita design tbh.
I can see that, but think they were possibly just flawed ideas as platforms, design wise they were pretty nondescript. Not much you can do massively differently apart from plastic changes to what is ostensibly a screen with controllers stuck on the side.

I've been playing games with High Definition graphics since 1989.
i love it =)
Y'all are crazy. Model 1 Megadrive is a stunner.
Mega_Drive_ja.jpg
the gold 16-bit is a bit tacky =P

hey all, i finally got a chance to take a shot of my grabs this week
from GAF sales i grabbed: bayo 1+2 40 shipped and luigi U 28 shipped. the sealed Mario bros U next to it i found buried from a long time ago when Sears was clearing out all their videos games (didn't have a wii u at the time but picked it up for 8 bucks)
all the others' i grabbed at the retro store during dinners and a return to gamestop to grab a few 18 dollar titles and use my buy 2 get one free coupon for the kirby (coupon in use with the previous fire emblem and metroid trilogy grab a page back), last i grabbed a physical copy of ultimate MVC 3.
thanks GAF for the recommendation for Wii and Wii U titles.

Pwgbpe3.jpg

Man, I was so hyped for Flashback as a kid. I remember going on and on about megabits and full motion video and who knows what else when I had no idea what any of that meant. I ended up renting it and only played it for about 5 minutes.

i love it =)

from GAF sales i grabbed: bayo 1+2 40 shipped and luigi U 28 shipped. the sealed Mario bros U next to it i found buried from a long time ago when Sears was clearing out all their videos games (didn't have a wii u at the time but picked it up for 8 bucks)
all the others' i grabbed at the retro store during dinners and a return to gamestop to grab a few 18 dollar titles and use my buy 2 get one free coupon for the kirby (coupon in use with the previous fire emblem and metroid trilogy grab a page back), last i grabbed a physical copy of ultimate MVC 3.

Pwgbpe3.jpg

I was at Gamestop earlier today picking up Sonic Colors and saw a copy of Kirby: Return to Dreamland for $44 used. Amazon has it at $38 right now, new. Good thing I checked when I was there.

Man, I was so hyped for Flashback as a kid. I remember going on and on about megabits and full motion video and who knows what else when I had no idea what any of that meant. I ended up renting it and only played it for about 5 minutes.
why only 5 minutes? it's so good!
And get the European version. That one let you choose between the JP and English audio. US version didn't.
oh cool =)
And get the Japanese version as well! For that cover.
ok, that's a bit hardcore for a game i haven't even seen yet. lol
I was at Gamestop earlier today picking up Sonic Colors and saw a copy of Kirby: Return to Dreamland for $44 used. Amazon has it at $38 right now, new. Good thing I checked when I was there.
yeah, someone else mentioned there was a reprint so i checked and saw it at amazon. i knew the price but figured free was better with the coupon.

i love it =)

Pwgbpe3.jpg

I never owned a copy of Kung Fu, but that cart gives me god tier nostalgia levels

Peltz

I think console designs fall into three broad design motifs

Statement design (where form does not really follow function)
Eg Atari VCS, Mega Drive, SuperGrafix, N64, PS2, PS3 (original)

Primarily function driven
PC Engine, Super Famicom, AV Famicom/NES top loader, PS1

Bland/nondescript - ie without context you can't even tell it's a console
Wii, Wii U, Xbox One

There are degrees within each. Eg for bland/nondescript, The Xbox One S has some small defining elements, wheras Wii/Wii U are aggressively nondescript.

And you have those that are in one category but have elements of another. Like the superb design of the Gamecube, which is kind of like the most recent Mac Pro design wise - it's such a function driven design that it becomes a statement.

Some are a bad mixes of design categories. The original Xbox is broadly a basic PC box, but lathered with 'badass dudebro speed ridges'. Or the original 360 - it's primarily bland/nondescript but has the dumb curvature added to add an element of statement.

My favourite designs are ones that nail their chic. The Mark III and original Master System ooze 70s/early 80s futurism, the former looks like it could be a prop on a 70s sci-fi show. US/PAL NES is similar too, mid/late 80s sci-fi for that one. I already mentioned the Gamecube, and in a similar vein the original PC Engine is function to the point of statement - top tier engineering. Super Famicom nails the '90s Japanese edutainment' look.

I honestly don't think there has been a really good design for a home console since the Gamecube. All PS3s are pretty stupid. Wii/Wii U are nothing. The final 360 model, PS4 Slim and Xbox One S are decent but nothing special. Switch is pretty slick but is a hybrid. Most handhelds have been quite good though, with the exception of the DS Fat and original 3DS.

Can we all agree that Neon Switch is the sexiest of all designs? It beats out Orange Spice Gamecube for me at this point.

Top Bottom