• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I would beg you to play it on mame and save your money as the ports for both the Saturn and psx are both chock full of inaccuracies. I say this as someone who owns the Saturn port btw...
Saturn port is, for god knows what reason, notably worse than the psx one, but yeah I'm familiar with the issues. as I don't play for score very seriously, and much prefer playing on my ps2, I'm sticking to the ps1 port. I get where you're coming from, though. If I was good enough that accuracy mattered (especially the type of inaccuracies present in that particular port) I'd probably use Mame, as you say

Ps1. I'd love to get the pcb but that's a rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down lol.
An MV1C hooked up to a supergun with a couple of multicarts is as far as can go with real arcade hardware. I'm just grateful that I started collecting for the Saturn around 2002 and managed to get a copy as there is no way I could build my collection now given the costs involved.

I work with a data analyst who got a law degree from Harvard. Don't bother with law school unless you want to never pay off your student loans.

As for arcade boards. I have too many and they are too difficult to deal with. That's why I just stick with X68000 ports.

D.Lo

Saturn port is, for god knows what reason, notably worse than the psx one, but yeah I'm familiar with the issues. as I don't play for score very seriously, and much prefer playing on my ps2, I'm sticking to the ps1 port. I get where you're coming from, though. If I was good enough that accuracy mattered (especially the type of inaccuracies present in that particular port) I'd probably use Mame, as you say
Mame is less accurate gameplay wise than PS1, it has less slowdown than the arcade. So anyone who sees mame as the 'real' version is wrong IMO. PCB>PS1>Mame.

Tain

Mame is less accurate gameplay wise than PS1, it has less slowdown than the arcade. So anyone who sees mame as the 'real' version is wrong IMO. PCB>PS1>Mame.

I remember hearing EOJ say this (so I definitely believe it) but does anyone have more detailed info/comparisons? There's still quite a bit of slowdown in MAME and I'm curious which parts have notable differences.

D.Lo

I remember hearing EOJ say this (so I definitely believe it) but does anyone have more detailed info/comparisons? There's still quite a bit of slowdown in MAME and I'm curious which parts have notable differences.
I've read it multiple times on various hardcore forums. Somebody had video.

Mame has versions though, so it's possibly only true for some versions on some platforms, but at least based on my readings, probably 1-3 years ago, Windows PC Mame, latest version, it was true. Most other Mame ports will be even less accurate.

televator

what's a Wondermega?
The coolest, most ballin', most retro futuristic system ever made.
Behold:
hqdefault.jpg

Not to be mistaken with the revision 2. Get that garbage out of here.

I'm deliriously tired at the moment and haven't read the threads on this in quite a while, but iirc, the PS1 port has scoring inaccuracies. Slowdown might be different on MAME but it wouldn't have errors like that.

Spent the night looking up genesis games on ebay. Y'all horrible people. :(

Every Time a new Nintendo console comes out. I search craigslist and local mom and pop game stores for genesis games on sale.

Since the Wii release I have not been disappointed with all the firesales that happen because everyone is on the Nintendo boat. Online sources like Ebay do not fluctuate much. I guess it is region related. Switch gets released and everyone wants Nintendo 64's and Super Nintendo's... Thats when I swoop in and talk shop with local game stores and grab all that great Sega stuff everyone is ignoring at the moment.

Collecting games is a horribly expensive hobby. I am still waiting for the prices to become reasonable.

Spladam

MLiG made a cute video about instructional VHSes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPYJkM0iuk

Lol, 12:44 : "What do you think about Lords of Thunder?" Women: "It's my favorite game, since my baby's been born, that's all I do"

Also, I'm pretty sure that Neil Ross dude was the guy who read the aircraft specifications and did the narrating in Rouge Squadron, I'll have to check IMDB.

Edit: Yeah, it was him, he also seems to have been in almost every Star Wars video game ever, including the X-Wing series, among dozens of other video games, including Metal Gear Solid.

-Edit: The "Rod Soldier" video I linked to above, well according to the guy at Gamesack channel, they were made by Tony Hawk, who has stated in interviews that he made Turbo Gfx videos.

Any gaffers in the Midwest going to Midwest gaming classic in Milwaukee next month? It's such an awesome show. And like 15 minutes from my house.

Very curious to see what stock is like this year. Every year it's changing. I have been going to this show a long time, back before the big boom of retro collecting. It seems like sellers are trying to make PlayStation 1 the next big thing but people aren't interested except for select titles.

The only booths that seemed to have stock of good pre ps1 games last year were those charging +30% eBay prices.

Last year I bought a ton of super cheap original Xbox games which was kind of a mistake because I didn't end up playing too many, but many were $1-3.

Not sure what Saturn games I really want yet. I kind of want to get the port of resident evil 1 because I love that game but there's not much difference.

I am always digging through ps1 games looking for mortal Kombat 3 in the jewel case.

I think they must have only made a few thousand of those because I only know of a few ps1 collectors that own a copy.

Any gaffers in the Midwest going to Midwest gaming classic in Milwaukee next month? It's such an awesome show. And like 15 minutes from my house.

Very curious to see what stock is like this year. Every year it's changing. I have been going to this show a long time, back before the big boom of retro collecting. It seems like sellers are trying to make PlayStation 1 the next big thing but people aren't interested except for select titles.

The only booths that seemed to have stock of good pre ps1 games last year were those charging +30% eBay prices.

Last year I bought a ton of super cheap original Xbox games which was kind of a mistake because I didn't end up playing too many, but many were $1-3.

Not sure what Saturn games I really want yet. I kind of want to get the port of resident evil 1 because I love that game but there's not much difference.

I am always digging through ps1 games looking for mortal Kombat 3 in the jewel case.

I think they must have only made a few thousand of those because I only know of a few ps1 collectors that own a copy.

I recently moved to Chicago and would love to go but I'll be in Japan when this is going on. Maybe next year.

D.Lo

I'm deliriously tired at the moment and haven't read the threads on this in quite a while, but iirc, the PS1 port has scoring inaccuracies. Slowdown might be different on MAME but it wouldn't have errors like that.
That's absolutely true I'm sure. It is a port, it's a different slab of code using the same assets.

I guess I was just broadly arguing against Mame = "the real experience'/accurate. It's the real arcade roms, but running on a hobby coded inaccurate emulator. PCB is the only 'genuine' version. My dream is to own PCBs of my all time favourites, but of course DDP is very expensive now, over $1000, so I never will unless I make CEO or something lol.

Every Time a new Nintendo console comes out. I search craigslist and local mom and pop game stores for genesis games on sale.

Since the Wii release I have not been disappointed with all the firesales that happen because everyone is on the Nintendo boat. Online sources like Ebay do not fluctuate much. I guess it is region related. Switch gets released and everyone wants Nintendo 64's and Super Nintendo's... Thats when I swoop in and talk shop with local game stores and grab all that great Sega stuff everyone is ignoring at the moment.

Collecting games is a horribly expensive hobby. I am still waiting for the prices to become reasonable.
Lol yep this does work. Even in Japan.

I guess I was just broadly arguing against Mame = "the real experience'/accurate. It's the real arcade roms, but running on a hobby coded inaccurate emulator. PCB is the only 'genuine' version.

I dont think anyone in their right mind would say mame is the real experience next to a pcb however its accuracy is better than the console ports in many instances.
I think to call such an endevour "hobby coded" whilst being true in a literal sense is a bit of an insult to to knowledge a skill put in by the contributors of the project over the past 20 years, especially considering how much stuff is better than paid devs managed...

Here ya go, quoted from Prometheus who as far as I am aware is the western record holder for DDP taken from the shmups forum...

"Saturn DDP :
- Of course, as it was known already I believe, the speed is off. Game seems to run a little faster by default (probably 60fps which makes it overall 4% faster). Slowdown occurs more rarely as more bullets need to be on screen to trigger it, so most of the game is even faster that it should on top of those additional 4%. However when slowdown occurs on massive bullet counts, it slows down too much, in particular Hibachi is much easier than it should.
- Horizontal width of play area seems a little bit off (too small), resulting in slightly different enemy placement.
- Damage seems dealt differently by your ship and some enemies have more hit points than they should.
- Bullet cancel lasts a much shorter time than it should.
- Enemies have different aiming.
- Your chaining meter might be a little slower to deplete (not sure).

PSX DDP :
- Slowdown is off similarly to Saturn even with Wait option ON.
- Damage dealing is messed up and many popcorn enemies have too many hitpoints or survive a little longer for some reason.
- Enemies have different aiming similar to Saturn DDP.
- Loop requirements seem wrong.
- When you uncover a bee with your laser, you don't get one hit worth of chain meter gauge filled (this completely messes up chaining)."

that's awesome you had it near you.
i saw it at Space Station super arcade in NYC 34th St. Penn Station.
saw this before the 6 button machine. this guy was pounding away at it =)

btw, how much does your tate screen weigh? i'm afraid to do something like that but it looks so cool.

Yeah, I have to say the Arcade in the town I grew up in was pretty baller, it was owned by the father of a kid I went to school with. Dude knew his games, they always hated the latest NeoGeo cabs, hell it was also the only place I remember ever seeing actual NeoGeo AES' for sale, and the games as well. Plus any time I was there, if he saw me he'd hook me up with a 10 dollar roll of quarters and a hotdog. So many awesome childhood gaming memories there.

It's a 50 inch Samsung set, and only weighs around 28lbs. The Wall mount I think was heavier. It wants to be screwed into two studs, but the screws it comes with are huge and unless you're dead center on the stud with the right power drill they are most definitely going to split the stud and be useless. In our place they also seemingly dry walled right over wood paneling so even finding studs is a huge pain in the ass. So we used some pretty industrious toggle bolts instead.

In regards to DDP, the only version I currently own is the Saturn one. One of these days I'd like to pick up the PS version as well, I just haven't come across a copy when I've had the cash to spend on it. I too would LOVE to own the PCB of that and a few other Cave games that I just fucking love to no end, but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to really afford them.

You know what's complete bullshit, the fact that ESP Ra.De. has never been released on a home console anywhere, ever. For me it's my absolute favorite vertical shooter of all time. I wish that would come out on something I could afford to buy it on.

D.Lo

I dont think anyone in their right mind would say mame is the real experience next to a pcb however its accuracy is better than the console ports in many instances.
I think to call such an endevour "hobby coded" whilst being true in a literal sense is a bit of an insult to to knowledge a skill put in by the contributors of the project over the past 20 years, especially considering how much stuff is better than paid devs managed...

Here ya go, quoted from Prometheus who as far as I am aware is the western record holder for DDP taken from the shmups forum...

"Saturn DDP :
- Of course, as it was known already I believe, the speed is off. Game seems to run a little faster by default (probably 60fps which makes it overall 4% faster). Slowdown occurs more rarely as more bullets need to be on screen to trigger it, so most of the game is even faster that it should on top of those additional 4%. However when slowdown occurs on massive bullet counts, it slows down too much, in particular Hibachi is much easier than it should.
- Horizontal width of play area seems a little bit off (too small), resulting in slightly different enemy placement.
- Damage seems dealt differently by your ship and some enemies have more hit points than they should.
- Bullet cancel lasts a much shorter time than it should.
- Enemies have different aiming.
- Your chaining meter might be a little slower to deplete (not sure).

PSX DDP :
- Slowdown is off similarly to Saturn even with Wait option ON.
- Damage dealing is messed up and many popcorn enemies have too many hitpoints or survive a little longer for some reason.
- Enemies have different aiming similar to Saturn DDP.
- Loop requirements seem wrong.
- When you uncover a bee with your laser, you don't get one hit worth of chain meter gauge filled (this completely messes up chaining)."
Fair call, I seem to recall reading something by Prometheus myself that supported my view that PSX = more correct slowdown than Mame, but it might be older info. Mame is pretty bad with slowdown in lots of games though, it's just easier to 'correct' games than emulate where the original chips struggled.

Hmm, I'll have to look around now. Not sure anyone does that in a big city but now I'm interested. Also, Earthbound is awesome and is making me kind of want to get the cart now that I'm playing through it for the first time.

Fair call, I seem to recall reading something by Prometheus myself that supported my view that PSX = more correct slowdown than Mame, but it might be older info. Mame is pretty bad with slowdown in lots of games though, it's just easier to 'correct' games than emulate where the original chips struggled.

Mame is ever improving though. The only games with real issues as far as 2d stuff from around the 90s/ 00s is concerned are the Cave CV1K games not supporting any of the deliberate slowdown at all (but you can still get 95% of the games on the xbox 360) and CPS1 and CPS2 (hugs Saturn ports close to chest) games not emulating the wait state leading to games being too fast or too slow. But even these issues are not as bad as broken scoring or changed enemy placement, graphic downgrades and off sound effects like in DDP imho.
As a disclaimer have been collecting for the Saturn / Megadrive and general arcade ports for about 15 years so ports were all I had to go on too until I bought a pc last year, I'm not some emulation evangelist but it definitely has its place.

D.Lo

A system needs to be 20/25 years old to be thought of as retro imho, I cant consider a machine that runs on blu-ray discs to have that designation.

One gen back doesn't mean retro....
About a decade after it was succeeded IMO.

Famicom/NES became retro in 2000
SNES became retro in 2006
N64 became retro in 2011
Gamecube/PS2 in 2016
etc.

I think a successor console being released is a good way to draw the line because it's the date on which they cease to be that company's premier device, rather than the last game release or production ceasing (those dates would be 1995 and 2003 for the Famicom, for example). If the console maker leaves the business (Atari, NEC, Sega etc) then it can just be a decade after that.

About a decade after it was succeeded IMO.

Famicom/NES became retro in 2000
SNES became retro in 2006
N64 became retro in 2011
Gamecube/PS2 in 2016
etc.

I think a successor console being released is a good way to draw the line because it's the date on which they cease to be that company's premier device, rather than the last game release or production ceasing (those dates would be 1995 and 2003 for the Famicom, for example). If the console maker leaves the business (Atari, NEC, Sega etc) then it can just be a decade after that.
That's a pretty nice system but I feel it's more about how dated the technology is. For example, I feel the PS2 should have been considered retro faster than, say, the SNES or PS3 because 480i was so transient for games, where as 240p and 720/1080p have shown themselves to stick around (at least in games) beyond that generation.

That's too loose, and leaves things to be too hmmm up in the air about something's retroness.

We need exact guidelines so we can artificially drive the prices up! Right guys..... Right?

For me, it's when all my friends have moved onto whatever console plays the new madden or cod the best and are wondering why I'm still playing "shitty old games on that shitty old system". That's when it's retro for me.

We need exact guidelines so we can artificially drive the prices up! Right guys..... Right?

For me, it's when all my friends have moved onto whatever console plays the new madden or cod the best and are wondering why I'm still playing "shitty old games on that shitty old system". That's when it's retro for me.
rushing out now to buy some ps3 game... =P

bjork

Not sure if it's been mentioned since I'm not active in this thread, but thought some might appreciate a heads-up: the pinball museum in Banning CA is having a retro expo this weekend. Apparently it starts today? I've never been but it looks like they're only open a few times a year and they have a good amount of stuff. Might be a drive for some/most. Anyway, here's their site:

http://www.arcadeexpo.com/

There's a period after a game system has been abandoned by the mainstream where it's just thought of as "old" and "outdated," but before it becomes "retro." I made a point of describing the 360 and PS3 as retro in that OT just because for me we're past that point. But I understand if a lot of people aren't there yet, and hey look it makes games really cheap to be in that middle ground, games that you can still find NIB.

It seems to me that it just depends on the system and the person. There's really no hard way to note it down. Everyone will just disagree based on their own experience. Maybe it depends for some on just abandoning stuff for just long enough?

And then, if you look at the PC side, there are a lot of people that will just never appreciate mid-to-late 90s 3D games in a "retro" sort of way, but for some it's become seen as "the era" -- a really interesting time with an explosion of great games, groundbreaking hardware, and every big new game trying to one-up the last..

Peltz

That's too loose, and leaves things to be too hmmm up in the air about something's retroness.

I stick to 2 generations old as a rule. When N64 released, NES became retro. When GCN released, SNES became retro. When Wii released, N64 became retro, and so on.

wazoo

In my opinion, consoles are systems that are supported then dropped by the manufacturers. Then, there is a period of time where games are still available in shops or reparation is still possible.

At some point, both are not possible. Then, the system can be considered as abandoned and be retro. This period last around 5-10 years after the launch of the successor. Of course, with digital, the notion of "games are still sold" become a bit more complex. Ps3 games are still on sale, I just bought PSP games on the PSN last week, etc

I stick to 2 generations old as a rule. When N64 released, NES became retro. When GCN released, SNES became retro. When Wii released, N64 became retro, and so on.

PS4 pro came out, does that count in the console cycle?

i'm not sure how to count it but was wondering about 3ds to n3ds. is that same generation?

GB and GBC were different gens tho, right?

Now that's a tough one. In my eyes I look at the GB/GBC as one Gen and GBA as next.
This is how I feel, too. The GBC wasn't a super crazy upgrade, mostly just the color screens and incremental hardware improvements in line with something like n3DS. Not really significant enough to call it a new generation, especially given it was so big because of Pokemon, 5/6 games of which are grey/black carts (yknow.... in theory).

Top Bottom