• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

PS4 pro came out, does that count in the console cycle?

i'm not sure how to count it but was wondering about 3ds to n3ds. is that same generation?

PS4 Pro is not a new generation. To me a new generation means an entire library of exclusive games. N3DS isn't a new generation because only a few games are unique to it (plus some VC offerings). GBC in contrast is a separate generation from the original GB because it had a whole library of exclusive titles.

We need exact guidelines so we can artificially drive the prices up! Right guys..... Right?

For me, it's when all my friends have moved onto whatever console plays the new madden or cod the best and are wondering why I'm still playing "shitty old games on that shitty old system". That's when it's retro for me.

What did anything I say have anything fuck all to do with price?

What did anything I say have anything fuck all to do with price?

I apologize. Sarcasm is hard to convey over text.

Edit: after re reading this I think, that you think, I was implying your interest in wether something was retro or not was purely for you to make a buck. This isn't what I think or what I was trying to imply at all. I was making a joke about this retro gaming bubble we currently live in.

Peltz

Edit: after re reading this I think, that you think, I was implying your interest in wether something was retro or not was purely for you to make a buck. This isn't what I think or what I was trying to imply at all. I was making a joke about this retro gaming bubble we currently live in.

"Bubble"... lol okay...

This bubble ain't popping.

Mihos

Gold Member
We need exact guidelines so we can artificially drive the prices up! Right guys..... Right?

For me, it's when all my friends have moved onto whatever console plays the new madden or cod the best and are wondering why I'm still playing "shitty old games on that shitty old system". That's when it's retro for me.

When buying or selling with other collectors locally, it is understood that retro is defined as being 2 generations or more for that family. So PS2 retro, PS3 is not.

It has nothing to do with price and more to do with how it is advertised.... so if someone is selling a box of retro sports games, you know it is box of shit not worth anything.

We also use 'vintage' for anything 80s or older... but I have really only seen that alot for computers.

Yeah I got it was sarcasm but it came off like you said, that the reason we were discussing somethings retroness was its value.

Just a case of misunderstanding, its all good.

"Bubble"... lol okay...

This bubble ain't popping.

Totally agree

Yeah I got it was sarcasm but it came off like you said, that the reason we were discussing somethings retroness was its value.

Just a case of misunderstanding, its all good.

I always enjoy reading your posts so I didn't want to get on your badside! Glad we could hug this out.

I think the poor Canadian dollar, looking at buying another house in Toronto combined with the steadily increasing cost of retro gaming has me a little salty lol

Spladam

About a decade after it was succeeded IMO.

Famicom/NES became retro in 2000
SNES became retro in 2006
N64 became retro in 2011
Gamecube/PS2 in 2016
etc.

I think a successor console being released is a good way to draw the line because it's the date on which they cease to be that company's premier device, rather than the last game release or production ceasing (those dates would be 1995 and 2003 for the Famicom, for example). If the console maker leaves the business (Atari, NEC, Sega etc) then it can just be a decade after that.
I considered the NES very retro back in the mid 90's, but then again, there were parts of the world it was still being sold and games were being developed for it.
When buying or selling with other collectors locally, it is understood that retro is defined as being 2 generations or more for that family. So PS2 retro, PS3 is not.

We also use 'vintage' for anything 80s or older... but I have really only seen that alot for computers.
That's a decent system, I would agree with that. I would also count anything over the 25 to 30 year mark as vintage, like the 2600, C64 and 128, and anything using the Intel 8088 or older. NES/Famicon and Master System is pretty close to vintage now I would think.

Laws00

I just put A and B games on my Turbo/PC engine drive holy shit

i'm going to be busy for a night or 2

Should have pre planned this all but damn

i'm happy

Krathoon

I wish someone would figure out a way to fix the emulator in Retrobit Generations.

There has to be some way to get to the configuration settings.

They have already found out how to run roms on it.

Laws00

Loaded all pC engine/ turbo graphics 16

fucking sorting ill do it later

Now to go in the basement and find all my wires and adapters for my consoles.......

ya should have pre planned this better :(

Its hard for me to think of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox as retro. Once people start giving a shit about them again, thats when I consider them Retro. Do y'all consider music from the 80's and 90's Oldies?

D.Lo

GB and GBC were different gens tho, right?

This is how I feel, too. The GBC wasn't a super crazy upgrade, mostly just the color screens and incremental hardware improvements in line with something like n3DS. Not really significant enough to call it a new generation, especially given it was so big because of Pokemon, 5/6 games of which are grey/black carts (yknow.... in theory).
I had this argument in another thread recently. IMO GBC is a separate platform, whereas DSi and N3DS are not.

There were hundreds of GBC exclusive retail games. Including massive names and megahits like Pokemon Gold/Silver, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Metal Gear, Zelda Oracles games, no need to go on. There were I think five DSi exclusive retail games. Unless you look it up, nobody has heard of any of them, most were DSi exclusive only because they used the camera. And I think one N3DS exclusive?

Crystal is the only exclusively color Pokemon game.

And while I am normally the one to defend the GBC as the "best gameboy", particularly in relation to its library, the games you listed are a pretty significant portion of the good exclusives. Other personal favourites I can think of off the top of my head are wario land, hamtaro, and dq3. At which point I start really blanking. The GB library is overwhelmingly grey and black carts.

D.Lo

Crystal is the only exclusively color Pokemon game.

And while I am normally the one to defend the GBC as the "best gameboy", particularly in relation to its library, the games you listed are a pretty significant portion of the good exclusives. Other personal favourites I can think of off the top of my head are wario land, hamtaro, and dq3. At which point I start really blanking. The GB library is overwhelmingly grey and black carts.
It doesn't really matter if it only had a few 'top' games that have stood the test of time (some games were huge names back then but are worthless now, eg Tony Hawk games, Donkey Kong Country port etc), the key is it had so many exclusives on clear carts.

According to this list there were 423 GBC only games, and only 166 cross-compatible Black carts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, productive day.

3ql9SSk.jpg

Don't mind the Razer swag -- dude over there sent it to me. All I bought were the asinine number of fans and BoI.

So retro up in here.

If we're still on the subject of buying habits, I keep telling myself I'm done buying retro stuff and then go and buy more.

Late last year I was like "yeah I've got every system I want and pretty much every game" and then "oh yeah Xbox" and went on an Xbox game buying binge.

A couple weeks ago I was like "I'll settle out the Wii U and 3DS library as stuff gets cheaper but otherwise call it quits for a while" and then last week I bought a PSP go along with new old stock accessories for it.

I feel like I'm going to keep up this pattern for a while.

Yeah, productive day.

Don't mind the Razer swag -- dude over there sent it to me. All I bought were the asinine number of fans and BoI.

So retro up in here.

Why do you need 7 case fans?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A couple for air intake, I've got 2 radiators that'll use 2 fans each, and then the 120 is towards the back of the case to push more air out. And the point is to run them all at really low RPMs so it's super quiet.

If we're still on the subject of buying habits, I keep telling myself I'm done buying retro stuff and then go and buy more.

Late last year I was like "yeah I've got every system I want and pretty much every game" and then "oh yeah Xbox" and went on an Xbox game buying binge.

A couple weeks ago I was like "I'll settle out the Wii U and 3DS library as stuff gets cheaper but otherwise call it quits for a while" and then last week I bought a PSP go along with new old stock accessories for it.

I feel like I'm going to keep up this pattern for a while.
I do the same thing. I just bought Mario Party for the N64 cib. All I need is Mario Tennis to finish off my boxed Mario 64 collection. Now I'm starting to look at the Wii library, seeing what I missed. I told myself I would quit for awhile, save some money and play some games. Maybe get some home improvements done. Well, I'm feeling lazy now and we just got our refund. It never ends. I always find an excuse to stop and startup again. I'm beginning to think it's a sickness really.

Laws00

Spent 2 hours trying to find a RF switches and power adapters for Genesis and SNES

Only found genesis

fuck that shit ill look for the adapter at a later date

This is my ball of video game cord hell

Spent 2 hours trying to find a RF switches and power adapters for Genesis and SNES

Only found genesis

My cable mess was pretty bad but when I moved I untangled them and threw away the ones I had no intention of ever using. Now it's only kind of bad.

Laws00

I've used all the above bags, ties, rubberbands

i dont know if you can make out some of the rubber bands still on my wires in the pictures

Teknoman

Only found genesis

Yo my box of chargers / ac adapters looks like that on a smaller scale.

Vespa

I don't hate the X'Eye but the Wondermega is rather special. X'Eye reminds me of those mock-ups for 'Saturn/PSX 2s' magazines used to run.

Checking Wondermega prices on ebay. Nope. Close browser.

I like thinking about games for ps3/360/wii that don't exist in better forms via remaster or PC version.

Some may not even be good games, but these are some that come to mind. I excluded Nintendo first party because not a lot of Wii games got remasters, and never PC ports with them.

Ico/shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and clank games/collection
Jak and daxter collection
Devil May cry trilogy
Nier
Wet
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Yakuza 3,4,5,dead souls
Killzone trilogy
Resistance trilogy
Motorstorm trilogy
Metal gear solid legacy collection
Outrun online arcade
Sega rally Revo
Lost Odyssey
Blue dragon
D&D collection
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Dark stalkers collection
Afterburner climax
King of fighters 13
Ace combat 6
Tekken tag tournament 2
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur 4/5
Turok 2006
Sonic 2006
Resident evil Darkside/umbrella Chronicles
House of the dead overkill
Ghost squad
Burnout revenge
Ghost recon advanced warfighter 1/2 (the PC versions are different games made by a different developer)
Project Gotham racing 3/4
Halo reach
Red Dead Redemption
Midnight club LA
Nights Wii
Sonic Wii games

It would be nice to get together a definitive list. This is probably missing a lot, just off the top of my head.

Peltz

I like thinking about games for ps3/360/wii that don't exist in better forms via remaster or PC version.

Some may not even be good games, but these are some that come to mind. I excluded Nintendo first party because not a lot of Wii games got remasters, and never PC ports with them.

Ico/shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and clank games/collection
Jak and daxter collection
Devil May cry trilogy
Nier
Wet
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Yakuza 3,4,5,dead souls
Killzone trilogy
Resistance trilogy
Motorstorm trilogy
Metal gear solid legacy collection
Outrun online arcade
Sega rally Revo
Lost Odyssey
Blue dragon
D&D collection
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Dark stalkers collection
Afterburner climax
King of fighters 13
Ace combat 6
Tekken tag tournament 2
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur 4/5
Turok 2006
Sonic 2006
Resident evil Darkside/umbrella Chronicles
House of the dead overkill
Ghost squad
Burnout revenge
Ghost recon advanced warfighter 1/2 (the PC versions are different games made by a different developer)
Project Gotham racing 3/4
Halo reach
Red Dead Redemption
Midnight club LA
Nights Wii
Sonic Wii games

It would be nice to get together a definitive list. This is probably missing a lot, just off the top of my head.

I'll add a few... these are also off the top of my head:

Demon's Souls
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 1 and 2
Nights into Dreams HD
Mirror's Edge
Prince of Persia 2008
Ninja Gaiden 2
Catherine
DOA4
Eternal Sonata

Top Bottom