• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

This is my first Puyo Puyo since Mean Bean Machine and the only other Tetris I've ever really played was on the Game Boy (I was into Columns). I've played a few matches but I'm so overwhelmed with games right now it will be a while before I can really get into it.

The best Tetris game will always be Tetris the Grandmaster 3. The TGM series is just so far ahead of e v e r y t h i n g and it's an utter tragedy that it isn't more accessible (no real console releases) and you see people putting games like Tetris DS over it.

Puyo is less-played for me, but I prefer Tsu to Fever. PPT seems like the best all-around, though?

In the absence of a TGM3 home port, any thoughts on TGM on 360 or the homebrew TGM on DS?

Still salty TGM4 got canceled

Tain

In the absence of a TGM3 home port, any thoughts on TGM on 360 or the homebrew TGM on DS?

Still salty TGM4 got canceled

I still haven't played the 360 TGM, unfortunately. I've heard it's alright, but it doesn't sound like it has all the elements that make TGM great. Homebrew TGM on DS is neat but as far as rough approximations go I think that Texmaster is better.

Hopefully some day Arika will be able to move forward on that new TGM they were dabbling with last year.

Peltz

The best Tetris game will always be Tetris the Grandmaster 3. The TGM series is just so far ahead of e v e r y t h i n g and it's an utter tragedy that it isn't more accessible (no real console releases) and you see people putting games like Tetris DS over it.

Never even heard of this before....

Guys, I'm addicted to Puyo Puyo Tetris. Like, as I sit here at my desk at work, I'm thinking about getting home immediately and playing it.

I played it for a few hours with Dave yesterday too. It's such a great party game.

Not including this game, what was everyone's favorite version of Tetris? And what's everyone's favorite version of Puyo?

For me, my favorite version of Tetris was Tetris Worlds Online on the original Xbox. It came with a subscription to Xbox Live when the service first launched back in 2002. It was the first time I played Tetris online and saw just how super-human someone could be at the game. Everyone used voice chat back then too and I made some friends with regular players who were fun to game with.

My favorite version of Puyo would have to be Kirby's Avalanche. It doesn't have many bells or whistles or anything, but I really love the soundtrack, and it's totally a nostalgic choice. I basically discovered Puyo for myself when this game came out.
this dude is a hardcore Puyo Puyo player... that's all i have to say...

Tain

Guys, I'm addicted to Puyo Puyo Tetris. Like, as I sit here at my desk at work, I'm thinking about getting home immediately and playing it.

I played it for a few hours with Dave yesterday too. It's such a great party game.

Not including this game, what was everyone's favorite version of Tetris? And what's everyone's favorite version of Puyo?

For me, my favorite version of Tetris was Tetris Worlds Online on the original Xbox. It came with a subscription to Xbox Live when the service first launched back in 2002. It was the first time I played Tetris online and saw just how super-human someone could be at the game. Everyone used voice chat back then too and I made some friends with regular players who were fun to game with.

My favorite version of Puyo would have to be Kirby's Avalanche. It doesn't have many bells or whistles or anything, but I really love the soundtrack, and it's totally a nostalgic choice. I basically discovered Puyo for myself when this game came out.

Honestly I think Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't very good. I got so hyped when it was announced in 2013 but the result kinda sucks. It's not a very good Puyo Puyo release (still better than Fever), I just really hate the art style, every option for how the puyos look, and some of the gameplay tweaks they've made over the years (you can turn most of it off but still). The mix modes are downright awful, unplayably bad because of how unbalanced and confusing they can be.

My wife and I do binges of Puyo Puyo every now and then but we really haven't gone back to PPT for a couple years now.

My favorite Puyo Puyo is 2. I don't think they can really improve on what they had there, the aesthetic was perfect, the music was great, the characters were neat. Sun also had some neat modes with the Sun puyos which is fun every now and the but not so useful for serious play.

If you don't already have it get 2 Remix for Super Famicom or 2 for MegaDrive if you want punchier bass.

I'm okay... there are WAY better players out there than me.

Check out some more modern play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHwGzzQagk

The speed that high level Puyo Puyo players operate at is just insane.

Peltz

Honestly I think Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't very good. I got so hyped when it was announced in 2013 but the result kinda sucks. It's not a very good Puyo Puyo release (still better than Fever), I just really hate the art style, every option for how the puyos look, and some of the gameplay tweaks they've made over the years (you can turn most of it off but still). The mix modes are downright awful, unplayably bad because of how unbalanced and confusing they can be.

My wife and I do binges of Puyo Puyo every now and then but we really haven't gone back to PPT for a couple years now.

My favorite Puyo Puyo is 2. I don't think they can really improve on what they had there, the aesthetic was perfect, the music was great, the characters were neat. Sun also had some neat modes with the Sun puyos which is fun every now and the but not so useful for serious play.

If you don't already have it get 2 Remix for Super Famicom or 2 for MegaDrive if you want punchier bass.

Check out some more modern play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHwGzzQagk

The speed that high level Puyo Puyo players operate at is just insane.

I'll look into importing Puyo Puyo 2. It looks super affordable.

Yo, that high level pro-tier play is just amazing. They're like machines who play mind games with each other.

Edit:

Looks like there were several Puyo games for Super Famicom. What's the differences between them?

I'll look into importing Puyo Puyo 2. It looks super affordable.

Yo, that high level pro-tier play is just amazing. They're like machines who play mind games with each other.

Edit:

Looks like there were several Puyo games for Super Famicom. What's the differences between them?
Puyo Puyo is the original. Tsu is the sequal (2, get it?), has gameplay tweaks and play is much snappier. Tsu remix is 2 with much better music (way closer to the arcade), a 4 player mode, and some other tweaks.

There are also Saturn and PS1 versions of Tsu but the music is really bad (I have almost every home port of 2).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Arcade Tetris series by Arika. That famous "invisible Tetris" video that was kinda viral a decade ago is from this game.

It's an extremely fast and readable version of Tetris with an insanely high skill ceiling and a ranking system that keeps you hooked. It's one of those games that looks unapproachable but is surprisingly learnable and before you know it you can kinda-sorta-almost deal with instant drop speeds.

The Atlanta area has an arcade with a TGM2 machine. It's pretty dope.

TGM2/3 is best, then NES Tetris for me. Modern Tetris is fine for head-to-head but pretty boring for single-player.

The best overall Puyo game is probably 20th Anniversary just because of the various modes available in it, but I never played it. The only 2 games I own are PP2 (Mega Drive version) and PPT.

The mix modes are downright awful, unplayably bad because of how unbalanced and confusing they can be.

Blasphemy. PPT Swap mode is basically the pinnacle of head-to-head puzzle games.

D.Lo

Puyo Puyo is the original. Tsu is the sequal (2, get it?), has gameplay tweaks and play is much snappier. Tsu remix is 2 with much better music (way closer to the arcade), a 4 player mode, and some other tweaks.

There are also Saturn and PS1 versions of Tsu but the music is really bad (I have almost every home port of 2).
Super PP and PP Sun are my faves.

v1perz53

Bah, why did I wait so long to get a Framemeister? Can't find them for less than $400 now, I swear they used to be closer to ~$300, think I read it was discontinued? Anyway, a few quick questions if anyone happens to know, but is the XRBG Mini still the version to get, despite being discontinued? I would just grab one now if so to make sure I have one for the future. Also, I know the optimal solution is SCART -> Framemeister, but how much of an improvement would it be for some of my consoles I haven't modded yet that still only output Composite? I would assume there would still be some improvement going to an HDTV. Thanks for any help, I curse myself again for not grabbing one of these earlier.

Bah, why did I wait so long to get a Framemeister? Can't find them for less than $400 now, I swear they used to be closer to ~$300, think I read it was discontinued? Anyway, a few quick questions if anyone happens to know, but is the XRBG Mini still the version to get, despite being discontinued? I would just grab one now if so to make sure I have one for the future. Also, I know the optimal solution is SCART -> Framemeister, but how much of an improvement would it be for some of my consoles I haven't modded yet that still only output Composite? I would assume there would still be some improvement going to an HDTV. Thanks for any help, I curse myself again for not grabbing one of these earlier.

I think the consensus on this matter is wait for the new revision of the Framemeister to be released. As I understand it, it's only this model of the XRGB-Mini that is being discontinued, so there isn't any real reason to pay the exorbitant price.

Peltz

It's not an upgrade for composite at all.

Have you looked into the OSSC? It's much cheaper and has less lag. I'd get that if I were you. (But still, don't put composite though it).

Fularu

Banned
It's not an upgrade for composite at all.

Have you looked into the OSSC? It's much cheaper and has less lag. I'd get that if I were you. (But still, don't put composite though it).

Also from now on, every new OSSC will have the audio upgrade by default, it's becoming very difficult for Microcom to justify the insane prices of the XRGB line.

As for my favorite Tetris, the OG gameboy one is the one I always go back to.

If you want a Framemeister pre-order one for just over 300 from Solaris Japan. https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/XRGB

Composite is composite, it's going to be ugly no matter what is handling it. If you're going to invest in an OSSC or Framemesiter you should invest in RGB cables, and mods for your system as well. If that's a bit pricey I'd try to not go below S-Video personally.

Also from now on, every new OSSC will have the audio upgrade by default, it's becoming very difficult for Microcom to justify the insane prices of the XRGB line.

People post shit like this as if the OSSC is cheap. It's still over 200 bucks with a power supply and remote. The Framemeister is only 100 dollars more, and does way more than the OSSC does. Also it's Micomsoft who makes the Framemeister not Microcom.

*Edit*

I want to make sure people realize I'm not attacking the OSSC or anything like that here. It's a great product, that offers a nice option from going with a Framemeister but let's not go off into miss information territory. They both achieve a similar goal while going about things differently.

Fularu

Banned
People post shit like this as if the OSSC is cheap. It's still over 200 bucks with a power supply and remote. The Framemeister is only 100 dollars more, and does way more than the OSSC does. Also it's Micomsoft who makes the Framemeister not Microcom.

*Edit*

I want to make sure people realize I'm not attacking the OSSC or anything like that here. It's a great product, that offers a nice option from going with a Framemeister but let's not go off into miss information territory. They both achieve a similar goal while going about things differently.
First chill

Second autocorrect changed micomsoft to microcom

Third the OSSC was 240 CND shipped, that's prety much half of what a mini costs from Solaris (but without the audio addon admitedly, my second one will have it since I'll dedocate my first unit to the Amiga), let alone from ebay.

I switch between the OSSC and my DISPL from micomsoft depending on what I'm using though

They both achieve a similar goal while going about things differently.
If by similar goal you mean "they're both upscalers", sure. But they're pretty much opposite ends within the category of little black boxes. I get what you mean, but the OSSC doesn't just achieve a similar goal, it achieves something the framemeister doesn't even offer, and for 2/3 the price.

televator

Whoa, whoa... In simplest tems I can put it: The OSSC offers line multiplication and practically zero latency. While the FM offers interpolation and motion adaptive deinterlacing with low latency.

If yo ask me, it's best to have both. Preferably in one box that can also frame the line multiplied image within a larger area. As it stands right now, we have one box that is peanut butter and the other that is jelly. I want both in my sammich.

Peltz

Whoa, whoa... In simplest tems I can put it: The OSSC offers line multiplication and practically zero latency. While the FM offers interpolation and motion adaptive deinterlacing with low latency.

If yo ask me, it's best to have both. Preferably in one box that can also frame the line multiplied image within a larger area.

If you could only have one, go with OSSC.

I would never associate an XRGB with ease of use, honestly.

Well look at how he put it in "the simplest terms" lol. " interpolation and motion adaptive deinterlacing" isnt exactly going to make the common gamer go " oh okay sounds good"

televator

Well look at how he put it in "the simplest terms" lol. " interpolation and motion adaptive deinterlacing" isnt exactly going to make the common gamer go " oh okay sounds good"

The common gamer is on normal GAF making fun of people who hook up their PS2 to play "obsolete" games. These retro threads (in particular the AV club) are where people come to know things about retro games. If they're new and have an open mind, they can ask what certain terms mean or quickly wiki them. Forgive me for thinking people really want to know what really makes the boxes different and suitable for different needs. I wasn't aware that we had to use more vague retorts like "it does the same, but more for cheaper" and continue going back and forth with no real substance.

First chill

Second autocorrect changed micomsoft to microcom

Third the OSSC was 240 CND shipped, that's prety much half of what a mini costs from Solaris (but without the audio addon admitedly, my second one will have it since I'll dedocate my first unit to the Amiga), let alone from ebay.

I switch between the OSSC and my DISPL from micomsoft depending on what I'm using though

You got a good deal on your OSSC then. Right now without shipping, without a power supply, and without a remote it's 225 CND. Adding in the power supply and a remote gets you to 250 CND before shipping. If you're running S-Video and not RGB (silly but some people do that) you're looking at another cost added on top because you're going to need an adapter/transcoder. Don't forget the DVI-D to HDMI adapter as well, since most tvs aren't shipping with DVI ports.

Depending on the person's set up you can get pretty close to the cost of a framemeister with the OSSC and that's hoping that your TV accepts the line triple mode from it. Not all of them do.

It's not so black and white, and people posting like it is, IMHO is kind of ridiculous and being unfair to those who may not know everything that come in here looking for answers. How would you feel if you dropped 200 bucks on an OSSC cause some dude on a forum was just like its awesome get it, and then find out line triple mode doesn't work with your set, and you SNES doesn't play nice with it?

Same question if you dropped 300 on a framemeister and every game you played on it constantly switched resolutions. (though neither are particularly good in this case)

Neither solution is perfect, and neither solution is cheap. Just spouting get a framemeister or get an OSSC doesn't help the person asking questions.

Pretty much this

If yo ask me, it's best to have both. Preferably in one box that can also frame the line multiplied image within a larger area. As it stands right now, we have one box that is peanut butter and the other that is jelly. I want both in my sammich.

I would never associate an XRGB with ease of use, honestly.

Once profiles got added, and being able to even download already made profiles, it became fairly easy to use. For a lot of people loading up a firebrandx profile is as complicated as it gets. It would be damn nice if they could give us 1 more update that upped the amount of supported profiles from 20 - something like 40 or 50.

Fularu

Banned
A DVI to HDMI adapter is 3$, the remote isn't really needed, point taken for the AC adapter though (but those are cheap).

I mean Yeah some TVs probably don't play nice with the OSSC, I haven't had bad luck so far though but overall everything is going to look fine with the OSSC (even the SNES) with Line 2 and Line 4 (line 5 is trickier since the resolution goes beyond 1080p).

If Micomsoft comes with something great that replaces the Mini then awesome, I'll be first in line (once you go down that rabbit hole, there's no going out of it :p)

D.Lo

I'm getting literal Retro-GAF vibes on the gaming board.

It feels exactly like 2006-2007 with the Switch selling well lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The denial is delicious. I'm just glad that I'm more enthused about Nintendo's direction this time around than I was a decade ago.

Fularu

Banned

Seriously

People should be happy such a device is selling well, instead we get denial, anger, frustration and "no third parties" jokes.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Lol yeah Im feeling the same way. Even though I didnt post at gaf at the time, this was exactly the same on the boards i used to post on.

Has Micomsoft actually come out and said its developing a successor to the Xrgb-mini?

I think I missed the news because I was under the impression that they had no plans to develop one.

I'm quite happy with mine but a successor would be amazing for everyone who doesn't have one.

Peltz

All the companies seem to have their haters on GAF. In my opinion, it's probably just a vocal minority. Most people seem pretty happy that Nintendo is doing well.

I couldn't have said it better myself. RetroGAF is a beautiful place.

I think we're just less concerned with graphics and "warz" in general, considering our focus.

Top Bottom