• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

I'll admit,

Always have been and always will be a super hardcore Nintendo fan. Love every system with even the 64 being one of my favorites from them. Every other game or system (and I play almost all and owned them all over the years) really pales in comparison to the happiness I get from Nintendo. I guess a bit irrational but really it is the only reason I love gaming. It is what it is.

IrishNinja

Get a clone, they're like.. 25-30$

nahh, support the creator (krizz) and get a quality product too

A pirated piracy device... I'll allow it.

0vEOA3q.gif

Vespa

Thanks for the info, Fularu. I think I might still have an ST and BBC in the garage somewhere, probably busted from water damage...I don't think I could have them setup since they're so big which makes the MiST size even more appealing.

gelf

The Atari ST was my first proper gaming system but I didn't really get in any wars about it for very long. I accepted the Amiga was largely superior for multiplatform games. Still got a lot of joy out that system though. It came with a ton of games that helped shape my taste for the future. It didn't matter if Amiga versions may have looked a bit nicer.

Fularu

Banned
The Atari ST was my first proper gaming system but I didn't really get in any wars about it for very long. I accepted the Amiga was largely superior for multiplatform games. Still got a lot of joy out that system though. It came with a ton of games that helped shape my taste for the future. It didn't matter if Amiga versions may have looked a bit nicer.

The Amiga VS ST channel was kid of an eye opener :p

Wasnt the Amiga also like way more expensive than the ST?

Is there any advantage to the consolized GG + Everdrive over the Analogue NT Mini jailbroken?

Aside from real hardware? No
The Analogue NT fpga core has some implementation bugs that are largely due to the less than perfect reverse engineering and documentation of the platform. They're really similar to what you'd see on a good emulator.

It's minor stuff but it's the kind of thing you would just never see with real hardware.

nahh, support the creator (krizz) and get a quality product too

This. Krikkz has provided us with some great innovations and convenience in the retro scene. It's not like Nintendo Recieves any money from me when I buy a SNES cart.

Without ever drives we would be stuck dealing with shady repros and that's not a world I want to live in.

^damn, that's cool but the price tag is high for the GG library...

yeah i literally didn't know it was the same guy, his site's awesome too
and ive had mixed experiences with GG to SMS conversions, some work great though

I was more surprised that people are patching GG games to play on SMS than Omar being involved. If anyone is going to do it it would probably be him.

Speaking of GG, just a reminder for those who care.

Man, bad timing on my end. I still haven't replenished enough funds from my Japan trip to feel comfortable dropping a few hundred on something I don't need. If it had been a week later...

I guess I'll either wait or make my own consolized GG.

Without ever drives we would be stuck dealing with shady repros and that's not a world I want to live in.

I mean there were flash drives before Everdrives, there were even floppy disk copiers before that.

But yeah everything Krikzz makes is fantastic and I'll happily give him money for his works. Especially because the chinese clones seem to have issues.

There are plenty of great repros, but I agree that it's a shitshoot in finding people with consistently great quality, but they certainly exist. I recommend Etsy, of all places. Just go by the reviews.

meppi

Finally dug out my PS2 again after having it sit in storage from last years moving house.
But I ran into some trouble.

Does anyone have any problems with a Framemeister and the PS2?
My screen always drops out for a split second for some reason. Sometimes 5-6 times a minute. So I can't really play it like this.
Tried all kind of settings to no avail, so I singled out the RGB cable itself after testing out my Dreamcast with the same connector cables that came with the Framemeister and that works like a charm.

I've already ordered a new RGB cable for the PS2, but I'm wondering if it might be system related after all, as I wait for the cable to arrive.

Finally dug out my PS2 again after having it sit in storage from last years moving house.
But I ran into some trouble.

Does anyone have any problems with a Framemeister and the PS2?
My screen always drops out for a split second for some reason. Sometimes 5-6 times a minute. So I can't really play it like this.
Tried all kind of settings to no avail, so I singled out the RGB cable itself after testing out my Dreamcast with the same connector cables that came with the Framemeister and that works like a charm.

I've already ordered a new RGB cable for the PS2, but I'm wondering if it might be system related after all, as I wait for the cable to arrive.

Why would you want to play that old shit? The PS4 is out, bro.

meppi

Why would you want to play that old shit? The PS4 is out, bro.

Phew, I had to check the thread title. For a second I thought I posted this in the wrong one. Lol

Then again, the Shenmue avatar should have given me a hint. ;)

Been digging through my collection a bit since I'm home sick for a couple of weeks with some inflamed ligaments.
Came across a ton of games I haven't played in ages and really want to get back to them.

Shox, Ridge Racer 5, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, Burnout 3, Outrun 2006, Lumines Plus, Dragon Blaze, SSX Tricky, Ring of Red. And finally try out Battlestar Galactica which I bought and never played...

My PS4 has been my Dangun Feveron machine all week long. ;)

Since the PS2 doesn't work (the TVs is on the wall and I don't have any direct RGB hookups that I can get to) I'll play some Bangaio and Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast. :D

Phew, I had to check the thread title. For a second I thought I posted this in the wrong one. Lol

Then again, the Shenmue avatar should have given me a hint. ;)

Been digging through my collection a bit since I'm home sick for a couple of weeks with some inflamed ligaments.
Came across a ton of games I haven't played in ages and really want to get back to them.

Shox, Ridge Racer 5, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, Burnout 3, Outrun 2006, Lumines Plus, Dragon Blaze, SSX Tricky, Ring of Red. And finally try out Battlestar Galactica which I bought and never played...

My PS4 has been my Dangun Feveron machine all week long. ;)

Since the PS2 doesn't work (the TVs is on the wall and I don't have any direct RGB hookups that I can get to) I'll play some Bangaio and Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast. :D

There was a thread on the main forum recently where someone asked for help with his PS2 and most of the responses on the first page were basically what I wrote.

It sounds like a connection issue though. Do you have a PS1 or a PS3? I think the cable should be compatible with both so you can test it that way while you wait for a new cable to arrive. I avoided the PS1 and PS2 on principle until recently so I'm not sure if there's anything specific to those consoles to watch out for. If you're feeling adventurous, you could also open up the console to see if there's any solder points or capacitors that look bad.

meppi

Sheesh, I know things can get bad on here but I had no idea it was this depressing.
I pretty much keep to retro themed threads as well as Nintendo ones, and those get trolled terribly, especially since the Switch came out.

It was an old "fat" PS2 that I bought cheap of a co-worker to spare my slim systems for as long as possible. So I'll try to hook up a slim tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
It's still the same RGB cable I bought on launch along with my PSone in the day, so it wouldn't surprise me that it went bad.
I've got a similar issue with my Saturn RGB cable but that one doesn't disconnect, only goes full green or blue when it twists in a certain way.

Just put on Bangaio in 720p with scan lines on a 65 inch last gen Panasonic plasma. Damn this is gorgeous! :)

Is it one from the RetroGamingCables uk site? I have their scart cable for PS1 and I've been having similar issues but only in Star Ocean 2 (though I havent tested too many games). I think something is maybe wrong with the sync output or the sync connection in the cable but I haven't dug too much into what.

meppi

Is it one from the RetroGamingCables uk site? I have their scart cable for PS1 and I've been having similar issues but only in Star Ocean 2 (though I havent tested too many games). I think something is maybe wrong with the sync output or the sync connection in the cable but I haven't dug too much into what.

It's an official Sony scary cable that they sold during the PSone days. The light grey one.
Pretty sure they made others later on.

The Analogue NT fpga core has some implementation bugs that are largely due to the less than perfect reverse engineering and documentation of the platform. They're really similar to what you'd see on a good emulator.

It's minor stuff but it's the kind of thing you would just never see with real hardware.

Have you reported the bugs to Kevtris?

He knows about them, he showed/talked about them on a livestream and basically theres not much he can so without better documentation and knowledge of the platform from the community. Like this is why FPGA implementations can still be faulty; especially on less popular systems there can still be a lot of details that aren't known.

(I also don't own an Analogue NT. Still thinking about picking up a MIST FPGA computer at some point mostly for Atari ST and Amiga and maybe MSX?)

Fularu

Banned
For the MSX i haven't seen any video of MSX2 games running on the Mist, can someone confirm if it works? Would be so much cheaper than getting a real MSX2

Hey retroGAF,
it's been a while, haven't went out for dinner to pick up any games till today:
grabbed 2 snes games: after hanging with Peltz sunday watching his friend play nes punch out, peltz recommended the snes version so i grabbed it with super ghouls and ghosts.
B0Uiol2l.jpg

totally OT: sharing,
i've actually been busy and started a project with my other hobby. i ordered some cellophane to wrap my boxes
as some of you with large collections may have discovered, over time when stacking boxes, the side walls and lids of the box begin to lose their integrity and bow under other the weight of other boxes. i know games have protective sleeves and cases you can purchase but i'm sure any gamer that has a lot of larger boxed collector's items, this may come in handy. hobby stores in Japan wrap all their items with cellophane. so i thought to give it a try.
Tak8hFul.jpg

here's an example of a box's sides that are starting to bow. i just cut a few strips to wrap around it to reinforce the structure.

after spending all week wrapping i changed my display table from gundams
to Macross VF-1's (my main hobby)
not sure anyone has any large gaming collectibles stacked in boxes, so i thought sharing this might be helpful. =)

I like super ghouls n ghosts.

It's slow as a motherfucker.

But I like it.

I should get my hands on that Capcom Generations version sooner or later to experience it without slowdown

I like super ghouls n ghosts.

It's slow as a motherfucker.

But I like it.

I should get my hands on that Capcom Generations version sooner or later to experience it without slowdown
i could never beat any of the ghost n goblin series. i got close with nes and seen my friend easily beat genesis ghouls ns ghosts.
i think i went mad when you beat the game and they say psyke! beat it again... i just turned it off. but now that i'm grown up, i want to try=P

that's a lot of model kits O.O
those are actually extremely priced high end figures. each row is about 2k, (each one is about 300-500) that table is worth 10k (not kidding). just sold 2 valks (those planes) and 1 attachment for 1k. lol (they were originally 75-130 bucks each)it's my main hobby and use the funds from it to buy my retro games and other pre-orders =)

Top Bottom