• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

The white ps2 is definitely up there in sex appeal. I love my ps2 so I can't imagine replacing it barring something tragic, but if I did I'd probably get one.

Tain

Hate to be the one to break it to you but it's most likely going to be emulation. With how well dolphin runs it may be the better choice.

Huh, I never thought of Dolphin as a possibility. Still, if it's convenient and well-packaged and faithful, I'd be cool with it.

But I don't know. These aren't ancient games, but instead recent-ish multiplatform ones. I still bet that ports are more likely than Dolphin-based emulation.

Huh, I never thought of Dolphin as a possibility. Still, if it's convenient and well-packaged and faithful, I'd be cool with it.

But I don't know. These aren't ancient games, but instead recent-ish multiplatform ones. I still bet that ports are more likely than Dolphin-based emulation.

With 9 and 10, that's a possibility. The source code is available and written for modern 3D systems with libraries that are most likely pretty similar to the PS4/XBox One. I wouldn't be surprised if those two games are ports.

I think the white PS2 slim looks way better than a white OG PS2

I don't think I agree. But tbf, I'm actually not that big on the slim. I like electronics to have a bit of heft to them. The slim looks like it blows away in the wind. That said, I owned a slim exclusively for years.

D.Lo

Fat PS2 is objectively better due to internal HDD support. Though slim at least has less stupid fucking crevices to get full of fucking dust. Fuck the fat PS2's retarded physical design.

Yeah, fatty is the way to go for the HDD obviously.

Gaf shaking with the rage of thousands of hopelessly optimistic pokemon fans right now.

dubc35

whynotboth.jpg?

I have a phat black one (Gran Turismo 3 bundle) and a white slim.
Yeah, fatty is the way to go for the HDD obviously.

Gaf shaking with the rage of thousands of hopelessly optimistic pokemon fans right now.
I've never played a Pokemon game.

I've never played a Pokemon game.
tbh, they're pretty good light RPGs. anything before 6th gen is worth your time if you want an RPG that isn't overly story focused with a lot of completionist content. The oldest 2 gens tells their stories in kinda hands off ways that remind me of something like dragon quest.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Only Pokemon game I ever beat was Red on the GB. I used to detail cars and I found a loose copy in a traded in car in like 99/00 and borrowed my girlfriend's little brother's GB and battery pack and would play at work during breaks and down time. I never bought a handheld until 2003 with the GBA SP.

Tain

Get a fat PS2.

Use SD cards instead of DVDs/CDs to play games. Use a PC to easily install them that way.

It's the good shit.

I don't understand why people just set themselves up for disappointment. The announcement today of "THE FIRST POKEMON GAME ON NINTENDO SWITCH" being Pokken was pretty funny, but Ultra Sun/Moon is in line with what happened last time around, just sped up by a year.

tbh, they're pretty good light RPGs. anything before 6th gen is worth your time if you want an RPG that isn't overly story focused with a lot of completionist content. The oldest 2 gens tells their stories in kinda hands off ways that remind me of something like dragon quest.

They're all good, easy I guess but the challenge is what you make of it. The fun is in building a party and collecting, but also some of the more intense gym battles can be a lot of fun due to the depth of the battle mechanics.

They're all good, easy I guess but the challenge is what you make of it. The fun is in building a party and collecting, but also some of the more intense gym battles can be a lot of fun due to the depth of the battle mechanics.
I find the difficulty is in proportion to how much time you put in. If you rush, difficulty curve gets steep at times. Get 2 is pretty easy until red though.

I've been debating putting a thread together about atmosphere in the old Pokemon games. Lots of "the only reason to play the old Pokemon games is nostalgia" going around and it's made me think a lot about how Pokemon presents it's story and world and given me a new appreciation for it. Really feels liken adventure in a way few contemporary rpgs in any subgenre accomplish.
How do you use SD cards on PS2?
adapt it to the IDE slot.

Tain

How do you use SD cards on PS2?

You use the usual memory card exploit to install HD Loader software on your memory card (it's been a while but google "Free McBoot" if you haven't heard of this), and then you grab a few cheap adapters to use an SD card as an IDE hard drive.

I learned about this from a now-deleted shmups forum thread, but this post has a few screenshots of the thread and should cover what you need, lol:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167736841&postcount=2437

All in all it's very cheap and easy to get going if you have HD Loader already going. If you don't, you gotta figure out how to get some files from the internet to a PS2 memory card.

I've been debating putting a thread together about atmosphere in the old Pokemon games. Lots of "the only reason to play the old Pokemon games is nostalgia" going around and it's made me think a lot about how Pokemon presents it's story and world and given me a new appreciation for it. Really feels liken adventure in a way few contemporary rpgs in any subgenre accomplish.

Putting aside that each region has a different story and pokemon set available for catching in different order, I actually think the older battle mechanics are interesting. The ways you can exploit how broken Red and Blue are is pretty neat, the lack of physical/special split making some Pokemon just woeful in battle (lol Gyarados in Gen 2) means a lot more planning, stuff like that.

Then comparing like HG/SS to G/S, I prefer the music in the original and the spritework. The originals also rigidly enforce you to 251 pokemon, which is good cause sometimes when I play Soul Silver I just get lazy and transfer to make a Porygon Z or bring in some other gen 3/4 pokemon. Plus being able to easily trade back to Gen 1 using the time machine is just neat. Oh and the IR mystery gift!

(That said I assume any thread about this would turn toxic pretty fast...)

The Pokemon community isn't really up for intelligent conversation most of the time, yeah. My summer is turning out to be pretty empty so maybe I'll write something up and post it and then request a ban so I don't feel tempted to respond to it.

Laws00

Got some new Sega Saturn games. about 10 bucks each

Samo and Tonge King are the only ones that don't have their spine cards.

I put the Touge King the Spirits 2 game back and the guy was like i'd give it to you for free lol
IMG_0242.jpg

Fularu

Banned
SED has a DSP-1 option tho
If you have any DSP-1 cart, the rom will launch (cheaper than buying a DSP-1 enabled ED).

Same woth any chip specific game actually, that's why a SU8 is a prety good purchase if you don't want to spend the 200$ needed for an sd2snes

If you have any DSP-1 cart, the rom will launch (cheaper than buying a DSP-1 enabled ED).

Same woth any chip specific game actually, that's why a SU8 is a prety good purchase if you don't want to spend the 200$ needed for an sd2snes

According to the MLiGvideo you need the specific game locked on, not just the same chip (SMK won't work with Pilot Wings and vice-versa), hence my comment about the SED convenience!

Fularu

Banned
According to the MLiGvideo you need the specific game locked on, not just the same chip (SMK won't work with Pilot Wings and vice-versa), hence my comment about the SED convenience!

I could be wrong but I believe it's mostly a header check. So if you patch the rom with the header of the game you have locked on, it should work.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does anyone have Mega Man X Collection on PS2? Maybe I'm going crazy, but the sound effects (shooting, power up) seem like they're buried in the sound mix. They're way quieter than playing it normally or on Wii VC. Anyone have the same issue, or is something wrong on my end.

Fularu

Banned
Does anyone have Mega Man X Collection on PS2? Maybe I'm going crazy, but the sound effects (shooting, power up) seem like they're buried in the sound mix. They're way quieter than playing it normally or on Wii VC. Anyone have the same issue, or is something wrong on my end.

The sound is indeed muffled (for every version)

That's not right all. You almost always need to have the exact same game, the same region in some cases, and for SA-1 and SDD-1 you'll get nothing no matter what.

Fularu

Banned
That's not right all. You almost always need to have the exact same game, the same region in some cases, and for SA-1 and SDD-1 you'll get nothing no matter what.

I was going with what I was reading on ofrums (and how old UFO Pro Fightters worked during the floppy days).

If that's false, then so be it and just get an SD2SNES (they're worth it and no, I'm not talking to you sspecifically :p)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
2 things:

1) I played through Arc the Lad 1 on a whim. It was pretty cool. I know it's just a warm-up for the second game, but I'm sufficiently hyped for that one... whenever I decide to dive in.

2) I'm watching the Super UFO episode of MLiG. These guys keep doing great work. I've had a Super UFO for almost a year so I could plug US carts into my SFC, but I had no idea about all the other shit it did.

Edit: Also, this makes me want to buy some of Square's Japan-only RPGs, since it finally gives me a good way to play the games with a translation patch.

Edit: Also, this makes me want to buy some of Square's Japan-only RPGs, since it finally gives me a good way to play the games with a translation patch.

I actually own SD3 and FFV for this purpose, but I still haven't got around to it yet, lol

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounded like running a cart with a translation patch meant manually dumping the cart, cleaning the dump of copy headers using a tool, applying a patch manually, copying that patched rom back to the SD card, and then launching the patched ROM on it's own. At that point, having the cart in the top is optional.

I guess having the art on the cartridge facing you is kind of nice but if you're already going through the trouble of dumping and manually applying patches, it'd be better to just run the patched ROM on a better flash cart that handles saves in a sane way.

Peltz

Cross posting from the Neo Geo thread. It's been a long time since I've been excited about a retro pickup... I just ordered Windjammers for MVS.

Can't wait for the inevitable intense local multiplayer sessions that game will bring. It's been on my list since I was a kid. I may resell it if the PS4 version is as good as I hope it will be, but for now, I'm really happy to own it:

windjammers_by_realghostvids-d6tyt55.gif

tumblr_o6vrotbjXh1u6jjy9o1_400.gif

Windjammers-PS4-Beta-Sign-Up.gif

Shit looks so good. And I'll finally get to experience it on real Neo Geo hardware.

P.S. I think my wallet hates me.

Danny Dudekisser

Such a good game. I remember playing the shit out of it with one of my friends back in the day. Such a random-ass game that ended up being insanely fun.

Cross posting from the Neo Geo thread. It's been a long time since I've been excited about a retro pickup... I just ordered Windjammers for MVS.

Can't wait for the inevitable intense local multiplayer sessions that game will bring. It's been on my list since I was a kid. I may resell it if the PS4 version is as good as I hope it will be, but for now, I'm really happy to own it:

Shit looks so good. And I'll finally get to experience it on real Neo Geo hardware.

Awesome.

Still slumming it with the NGCD version here.

you ready to challenge me to street fighter and i'll practice to challenge you to Windjammers.

I've never played windjammers but I've been listening to gerstman go on about it for years. Who wants to play some on fightcade? I'm in Toronto Canada.

Danny Dudekisser

I love that picture.

And yea, it's DotEmu. Why is that bad though? I'm not familiar with them.

They always do shoddy work with their emulations. Input lag, messed up graphics, messed up sound -- you name it, they've screwed it up at some point.

Which is why it's still kind of shocking to me that the Wonder Boy game turned out so well.

Tain

I'd like to know if Wonder Boy happened because Omar shopped the project to DotEmu or if DotEmu initiated it themselves. If the latter, that bodes well for DotEmu's future I guess.

Danny Dudekisser

I'd like to know if Wonder Boy happened because Omar shopped the project to DotEmu or if DotEmu initiated it themselves. If the latter, that bodes well for DotEmu's future I guess.

I'd heard about the project more than a year ago, and my understanding is that it was the latter. It's not the only project in the works along these lines -- Pang Adventures is another one.

It's on.

sakura-winanim.gif

P.S. Dave is no joke when it comes to Street Fighter. He totally kicked my ass last weekend. I barely stand a chance.

It's a really great local multiplayer game.

Let me know when your MVS cart comes in =) damn, you got me hyped for a game i just heard about. it looks fun.

Top Bottom