• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Ban Puncher

A good mate of mine was cleaning out his workshop and found some old gaming stuff that he had no further use for so he gifted them to me. A PAL SNES, copy of Donkey Kong Country, some random power cables.

Oh, and a boxed and complete STEEL BATTALION CONTROLLER WITH A COPY OF THE GAME.

FOR FREE.

L5hr5hY.gif

Ramune

Well bought a few retro related items for the first time since my RGB cables last year. And the flavor is old school

tumblr_mkou010G8J1s9677oo1_r1_500.gif

1) Outrun Sega Saturn - Imported this one from a Japanese storefront. One of THE games that marked me as a video games enthusiast for life, I'm happy to have a console definitive version of this classic at long last! Already ripped and listening to the '96 arranged tunes as I type this!
I DID note after buying that there was two versions of this, one unable to play on 2nd model Saturns. And owning a 2nd model Saturn, I was a bit dreadful of a possible bittersweet outcome. But I hooked up the system yesterday and everything ran fine! WHEW!

2) Streets of Rage - This is one Sega classic I HAVEN'T had the pleasure of playing before. Not even in emulated form even, which is weird. Saw it at a local retro shop and figured it a no brainer to add to my "paltry" (+ Panorama Cotton) Genesis/Mega Drive collection. Can't wait to maybe fire it up during the weekend! Only ever played and owned Streets of Rage 2 and rented SoR3 a couple times, so I'm going in knowing the first game is it's own beast so to speak.

3) Official 6-button Genesis Pad - Figured I'd get this at the same retro place I got SoR, since I only have one other 6 button controller, the SG PROPAD 6, that while great with neat features (map button combos to one of the two top trigger buttons, turbo, start spa...erm..slow motion), it's D-pad, while serviceable, can't beat the feel of the genuine article. Stop gap though, I'm aiming for them wireless 6-button controllers next! :D

Nice pickups. Best Genesis pad, IMO. Outrun is probably my favorite game, and though the sequels improved the formula, you can't go wrong with SOR.

A good mate of mine was cleaning out his workshop and found some old gaming stuff that he had no further use for so he gifted them to me. A PAL SNES, copy of Donkey Kong Country, some random power cables.

Oh, and a boxed and complete STEEL BATTALION CONTROLLER WITH A COPY OF THE GAME.

FOR FREE.

L5hr5hY.gif

OMFG, a WHOLE Steel Battalion controller/simulator set?! That's totally awesome!!

This thing?!
controllerNew.jpg

televator

I am now thinking that my knee jerk thought that it was a joke was accurate. Explain? lol

Still, stand by what I said regardless.

He capitalized Retro as in Retro studios. Metriod Prime is a Retro game. It's dumb but the fact that people responded all serious tickled me a bit too much.

Peltz

Super C right beneath some Super D's.

Anyways, is anyone from retro-GAF going to PAX East? I just got my pass (see temp avatar change).

I'd love to grab a few drinks with any of the regulars here.

Should've been Shadows of the Empire or Rogue Squadron instead of DK64, honestly. (Maybe Battle for Naboo or Episode I Racer. Maybe.)

Been really trying to collect for Turbo Grafx lately. Whew! What an expensive little machine. I'd love to get the CD attachment some day but...at these prices who knows when I'll come across one for a good deal. Cool system, though.

IrishNinja

Prices out of control?

in some cases, insanely so - like, some of the legit rare stuff naturally went up, right? but even common ones have spiked..for the price of Neutopia 2 or many like it, you can get a turbo everdrive & have $ left over.

Mzo was just talking about how arcade cards could be found for $15-20, now it's double that if you're lucky. again US stuff i kinda get that many games had low #'s, but for nearly decades there, most didn't give a fuck - pick a few titles you consider common & check ebay

Ban Puncher

in some cases, insanely so - like, some of the legit rare stuff naturally went up, right? but even common ones have spiked..for the price of Neutopia 2 or many like it, you can get a turbo everdrive & have $ left over.

Mzo was just talking about how arcade cards could be found for $15-20, now it's double that if you're lucky. again US stuff i kinda get that many games had low #'s, but for nearly decades there, most didn't give a fuck - pick a few titles you consider common & check ebay

Glad I picked up most of the popular 'rare' stuff years ago when nobody gave a toss about PCE. Except Renny Blaster and Sapphire but their prices have always been dumb.

thomasos

It doesn't look like we have a thread dedicated to the Philips CD-i (shocking!), so I figured this would be the best place to ask the following.

Is there any discernible difference between the North American and European versions of CD-i games, particularly the Zelda titles? I mean with regards to not only the games themselves, but packaging, etc.

Thanks!

kogasu

Wow, so I don't think I've ever seen this thread before. I didn't know we had a general retro thread here on GAF. Where have I been? That's awesome!

Also gotta say "ehhhhhh" on that Retro Duo.

Top Bottom