• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Not sure where to ask this, but I figured retro-GAF would know. I'm starting to get some cartridges that are losing their battery backup, especially on GameBoy cartrigdes. I know you can replace the battery, but was wondering if there was a more permanent solution. Are there any cartridge mods out there that use flash RAM that require no battery backup?

Jockel

Not sure where to ask this, but I figured retro-GAF would know. I'm starting to get some cartridges that are losing their battery backup, especially on GameBoy cartrigdes. I know you can replace the battery, but was wondering if there was a more permanent solution. Are there any cartridge mods out there that use flash RAM that require no battery backup?
No. But you could solder a battery slot in place, so it's easier to replace the batteries later.

No. But you could solder a battery slot in place, so it's easier to replace the batteries later.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll look into that for my next cartridge that dies. Too bad today's technology can't fix this problem that will be forever an issue with these classic games.

Jockel

A bigger potential pain in the ass could be failing SRAMs later.
I just had a FF2 die on me. Wouldn't save, even with a fresh battery. Turns out the SRAM itself was broken, so I had to go and replace that.

Thankfully though, now I got it replaced (RIP in peace random SFC game) and now I can finally enjoy this classic.

Peltz

A bigger potential pain in the ass could be failing SRAMs later.
I just had a FF2 die on me. Wouldn't save, even with a fresh battery. Turns out the SRAM itself was broken, so I had to go and replace that.

Thankfully though, now I got it replaced (RIP in peace random SFC game) and now I can finally enjoy this classic.

Bit rot will eventually destroy Retro-GAF. Cheers to the present.

That's why I love emulation. It's not as pure as the real thing and some people rant about piracy or it not being ethical, but one day that will be the only way to enjoy some of these classics.

Jockel

HGNnkTm.gif

Khaz

Nah, you could always flash an eeprom to replace the old one or enjoy your game on an everdrive, while the the culturally and historically important object is safe on the shelf.

Now, system failures, that's a real problem. Even if you have your games, you need a working console to play them.

Peltz

I posted a RTTP thread for F-Zero GX and it's awfully lonely in there :'(

Mods: Not sure if this counts as "self promotion" against the rules (I figured it doesn't because it's all on GAF). But if it does, please let me know and I'll delete this post.

Edit: looks like people are posting there now :)

televator

so that really is the unit? I thought for sure that was just a mock up or something unrelated. Can't imagine it being any good.

The guy behind Retro Magazine is the honcho on this system. He bought rights to the Atari dental shell and I believe for the controller as well.

Khaz

I don't really see the point. You have historical limitations on the 16bits consoles because of the hardware available at that time. Nowadays there is no reason to have similar artificial limitations. Will they put a 68000 in it with 64k of RAM, when having a dual-core ARM and 4G of RAM cost probably just as much? And then programmers will start hitting limitations like sprite size/numbers or colour palette and start developing tweaks to get around them or ask the manufacturer to make a v2 with twice more RAM? Or will they just go back to developing for the Megadrive/SNES userbase which will be forever bigger and a very well known hardware? The hardware already available can cover all the needs for 2D game making.

They'd be better making an old arcade board clone, like the System32. Everybody knows about it, they have insane capabilities regarding 2D stuff but are still restricted to 2D, and 2D is done in hardware unlike modern stuff.

Or a Neo Geo clone. Everybody loves Neo Geo, but they are impossible to find. Plus the cartridges can apparently be upgraded to some insane level if they need to.

But a new console? Eh.

televator

wait...not like a clone or something? an all new system? if so, gooooood luck. lol

I don't really see the point. You have historical limitations on the 16bits consoles because of the hardware available at that time. Nowadays there is no reason to have similar artificial limitations. Will they put a 68000 in it with 64k of RAM, when having a dual-core ARM and 4G of RAM cost probably just as much? And then programmers will start hitting limitations like sprite size/numbers or colour palette and start developing tweaks to get around them or ask the manufacturer to make a v2 with twice more RAM? Or will they just go back to developing for the Megadrive/SNES userbase which will be forever bigger and a very well known hardware? The hardware already available can cover all the needs for 2D game making.

They'd be better making an old arcade board clone, like the System32. Everybody knows about it, they have insane capabilities regarding 2D stuff but are still restricted to 2D, and 2D is done in hardware unlike modern stuff.

Or a Neo Geo clone. Everybody loves Neo Geo, but they are impossible to find. Plus the cartridges can apparently be upgraded to some insane level if they need to.

But a new console? Eh.

According to the info I've been able to gleam off of google searches, the device will be modern internal hardware with the capability to at least play back graphics of N64/PS1 caliber.

I agree with you Khaz in that I'd really like to see a great effort like this go into a clone system. Specifically an FPGA based cycle accurate Neo Geo clone capable of 240p RGB and HDMI w/ scanlines.

Teknoman

I cant decide between Elevator Action Returns or Lufia 2. Waaay different games I know, but Lufia 2 seems to be going down (maybe) while EAR has gone up.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Get Lufia 2 and get Taito legends 2 for a cheaper EAR experience!

I will say, though -- I played EAR the first time on Taito Legends 2 (PS2 version), and that crappy port made me think I didn't like the game.

I adored it when I bought it on Saturn.

jacking from the SNES thread:

ehh GS is pretty late to the party here, but i'm not surprised...i guess it's another option, but my local scene isn't great so at best, it's somewhere for other ripoff spots like goodwill & game trader places to compete with, so...yay?

I wonder what prices will be like, tbh. Gamestop is surprisingly well priced for some older stuff. Guess this might put an end to that, though.

IrishNinja

yeah, i mean what's the closest they've gotten to getting their feet wet prior - a few NES games as high-priced rewards?

this is the same company trashing DS/3DS cases & manuals as we speak too

yeah, i mean what's the closest they've gotten to getting their feet wet prior - a few NES games as high-priced rewards?

this is the same company trashing DS/3DS cases & manuals as we speak too

yeah.... Gamestop is really weird. I don't fully understand how they intend to do this because it's so out of the realm of what I would expect from them. Profit margins just aren't that great for older games thanks to the accessibility of eBay.

jacking from the SNES thread:

ehh GS is pretty late to the party here, but i'm not surprised...i guess it's another option, but my local scene isn't great so at best, it's somewhere for other ripoff spots like goodwill & game trader places to compete with, so...yay?

If (when?) this tanks maybe we'll get some nice clearance deals. At least B2G1, but I'm not holding my breath otherwise.

Mzo

Sounds like some of you didn't read through the article:

However, you won't be inundated with the sights and sounds of your favorite retro games when you walk into your local store. Purchases can be made on GameStop's website or through its web-in-store system.

I'm betting on high prices, no pictures (since prices won't vary by condition), and, worst of all, that they might toss boxes and manuals to have everything sold as uniform cart only.

This could be a very bad thing.

Unless you're a dumpster diver.

Gunsmithx

Sounds like some of you didn't read through the article:

I'm betting on high prices, no pictures (since prices won't vary by condition), and, worst of all, that they might toss boxes and manuals to have everything sold as uniform cart only.

This could be a very bad thing.

Unless you're a dumpster diver.

Yes, though I do wonder since this is aimed at a specific market that they might keep manuals and boxes since they would fetch a higher price, but I agree on the lack of any idea of actual condition, esp. if they keep the boxes and manuals.

Might be a good idea to check those gamestops that are participating to see if they are supposed to send stuff with boxes and manuals or just toss it.

Mzo

Gamestop has never, ever priced games by condtion. A naked cart always cost the same as a CIB back in the day.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gamestop has never, ever priced games by condtion. A naked cart always cost the same as a CIB back in the day.

Considering some boxes cost more than their associated carts these days, it would be foolish of them to not hold on to what they can.

Mzo

I'm not saying it won't be a stupid and horrible move. I'm just betting on them doing it.

Let's put it this way: They're not going to set up multiple SKUs per game to denote condition (Poor, Fair, Good, etc.) They're going to be mailing everything, potentially thousands and thousands of games, to a central location where I can guarantee they're not going to have a little old man with a magnifying visor look them over and judge their condition.

It's all going to be normalized and shit is going to get tossed.

I wonder what kind of stickers they'll put all over the labels.

Peltz

I'm not saying it won't be a stupid and horrible move. I'm just betting on them doing it.

Let's put it this way: They're not going to set up multiple SKUs per game to denote condition (Poor, Fair, Good, etc.) They're going to be mailing everything, potentially thousands and thousands of games, to a central location where I can guarantee they're not going to have a little old man with a magnifying visor look them over and judge their condition.

It's all going to be normalized and shit is going to get tossed.

I wonder what kind of stickers they'll put all over the labels.

Mzo... dude... seriously... my heart... is breaking. :'(

Khaz

So... Repros.

The topic can be quite divisive, but I myself have no problem with them, as long as they are not sold as the real original deal. Plus in addition to original vintage game reproductions, the art can be used to make real cartridges out of homebrew, hacks and translation projects.
Would it be OK to make a list of reproduction shops and put it in the OP?

Generally speaking, where do the shells come from? I'm assuming most reproduction artisan harvest worthless sports games for their plastic shell, but are there new shell makers? I know of a guy who used to make his own SG-1000/SC-3000 shells with a homemade silicon mold, and the Mega Drive shells on Stoneagegamer and Watermelon products are definitely new with personalised branding, though I don't know where they come from. What about the other cartridge-based consoles, like the NES, SNES, Famicom, Super Famicom?

IrishNinja

i'm obviously cool with em, as long as the criteria you outlined holds true (its scummy to sell them as legit, also using rare stuff to make em is kinda shitty)...i don't know of anything in the TOS that's against em, if more people here are cool i'd be happy to share links to some of the legit/better places

Think my biggest issue with repros is the ridiculous mark up they have. I acknowledge some of them are rather expensive to make due to requiring a certain chip, but I just don't want to pay a large sum of money for what's essentially a bootleg product.

IrishNinja

Think my biggest issue with repros is the ridiculous mark up they have. I acknowledge some of them are rather expensive to make due to requiring a certain chip, but I just don't want to pay a large sum of money for what's essentially a bootleg product.

i mean, i get the fancy ones for say Mana II with a manual/box/etc but yeah, most of the ones i bought, i did so on nintendoage for like $25 shipped. seeing people pay sometimes triple that boggles my mind

Mzo

I realized I don't really care much about stuff that isn't real, especially not enough to pay a premium for a mock-up box, etc.

Everdrives fill most of these needs, unless it's like StarFox 2 or something.

Shaneus

I would imagine the manufacturing of them these days could be handled fairly easily by 3D printers, no? I don't know how much printers themselves vary in degrees of quality, but I'm sure there are some which could come close to the original injection-molded carts.

IrishNinja

I realized I don't really care much about stuff that isn't real, especially not enough to pay a premium for a mock-up box, etc.

Everdrives fill most of these needs, unless it's like StarFox 2 or something.

i totally get this, and god knows my everdrive makes my repros of MUSHA/centy sillier...but i'm still happy to have a GBA cart with the Mother 3 localization on it, feels pretty real to me

Top Bottom