• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

This with reproductions getting numbered limited releases: retro is over, guys.

Does this mean we can have low prices back, or does it mean that shit is too crazy to even care anymore.

What do you expect. People that can choose how many of something they make want to have a reason to cash in on the thing that drives the crazy prices of the scene they are in, limited supplies. I would say too bad for them that the second part of high prices is having a desirable product as well, but I've seen some trash go for tons of money. Like that spiderman 32x game.

Also, what the hell, that thing is ugly as fuck on top of being shitty.

Wow, so I don't think I've ever seen this thread before. I didn't know we had a general retro thread here on GAF. Where have I been? That's awesome!

Also gotta say "ehhhhhh" on that Retro Duo.
Welcome. Be prepared to go crazy spending money after you visit the various threads, hah.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been doing some retro game shopping lately. It's been a while, and man does it feel good. There's just an incredible satisfaction to finally getting your hands on whatever your personal holy grail games are.

Unfortunately, I bought RPGs, and there's too much new stuff to play through this month to get to 'em now. Oh well, that's probably the best problem to have.

Dishwalla

Banned
Is there an official Atari 2600 (or other Atari systems) thread like there is for NES, SNES, PS1 and so on?

Anyways, are the plastic shells for the 2600 consoles the same dimensions no matter the model? I have a four switch model with the base plastic is broken, and was looking on ebay for parts consoles that I could just use the base of, and found a six switch model for parts for 15 bucks(there were four switch ones up, only they were like 40 bucks). I want to know if I can buy the six switch model and the base will be interchangeable with a four switch model.

Teknoman

I can play some older well made NES games that are light on graphics...but Atari is the one generation I cant do. Maybe its because I didnt grow up with it, or its because the games are so lacking when it comes to soundtracks.

Peltz

I can play some older well made NES games that are light on graphics...but Atari is the one generation I cant do. Maybe its because I didnt grow up with it, or its because the games are so lacking when it comes to soundtracks.

I generally don't enjoy Atari games, but I like to play arcade games that predate the NES. Otherwise, everything I play is FC/NES or later.

It's pretty clear that I'm a total graphics snob.

Teknoman

I generally don't enjoy Atari games, but I like to play arcade games that predate the NES. Otherwise, everything I play is FC/NES or later.

It's pretty clear that I'm a total graphics snob.

Well yeah, I can play the hell out of Galaga/Galaxian.

IrishNinja

my older brother was part of the 2600 generation, and also had a vastly superior 400 computer (man i miss that thing), so i can fuck with those games in low doses.

IrishNinja

real talk i picked up a nice 2600 (black & white switch too i believe! haha) and like ten boxed games a few years back for maybe $30...i just gotta sort out what cables to get to make it work on sets that dont have the screws on em, like early cassette era and shit

i'd be lying if i said i'm not morbidly curious how shit'd look over XRGB, haha

Peltz

real talk i picked up a nice 2600 (black & white switch too i believe! haha) and like ten boxed games a few years back for maybe $30...i just gotta sort out what cables to get to make it work on sets that dont have the screws on em, like early cassette era and shit

i'd be lying if i said i'm not morbidly curious how shit'd look over XRGB, haha

Lol. Did atari even have anything other than RF out?

IrishNinja

not that i ever saw? and most of what i recall was that proto RF with the two metal clips you'd have to put under some screws/whatever behind your TV & tighten em, which i think is the default connector on this 2600 so i'm gonna have some fun on monoprice

Khaz

I don't think it did officially, but I think there are mods to get Composite and even S-video out. Nothing fancier like RGB though.

I've been interested in the 2600 lately, and especially by the homebrew scene. Some people can really do impressive stuff on such a limited machine. I've compiled a small list of games I'm interested in:

Enduro. I like the added variety of changing weather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4nen43FaA

Halo 2600. Just so I can show it off :D
I don't think it's really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GDZsFQ_haQ

Juno First. Pretty amazing homebrew shmup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OErqNnLvFpo

Medieval Mayhem. I just love paddle games so this 4player one got my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR_B857oJo4

Piñata. Probably the roughest but may have interesting gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInLAvVfcl4

River Raid. Endless, procedurally generated shmup. I can dig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0WkK0HhCbk

Robot Tank. looks impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAtParIBpo

Skiing. It just reminds me of SkiFree lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMtIrh8014g

I still have to sort out the differences between PAL and NTSC machines and games, which can be played on which, and which I can plug on my TV.

I didn't grow up on Atari either and only got one a couple of years ago, but after a while you get used to the graphics and some of the games are pretty fun, so long as you're only looking for something to play for maybe five minutes at a time because that's what most Atari games are. But for that kind of game, some of them are good. So I'd say give it a chance...

Oh, and paddle controllers are awesome.

Not officially, but I'm sure it can be modded. Also you can replace the full RF boxes with just those plug adapter things that let you go straight from the cable from the Atari to the cable line input on the TV instead of having to go through an RFU and maybe get worse picture because of the old RF box.

kogasu

I remember somebody having an Atari 2600 when I was way younger but I can't recall ever playing it myself heh. I've certainly played the classic arcade counterparts though. Being RF only has always turned me away from actually buying one myself even though I see mods exist. I'm sure I could find something to enjoy though If I ever do get around to getting one. I love me some Breakout!

Teknoman

So Retro GAF, i've been thinking about this (and it pretty much includes everything pre 360/PS3/Wii): We usually post about games we've discovered in the specific appreciation threads, but I wonder if its best to talk about things there, but also post an LTTP thread for games that really pull you in?

It could even open more eyes, especially since not everyone hits up the retro threads.

So Retro GAF, i've been thinking about this (and it pretty much includes everything pre 360/PS3/Wii): We usually post about games we've discovered in the specific appreciation threads, but I wonder if its best to talk about things there, but also post an LTTP thread for games that really pull you in?

It could even open more eyes, especially since not everyone hits up the retro threads.
But the prices D:

I didn't grow up on Atari either and only got one a couple of years ago, but after a while you get used to the graphics and some of the games are pretty fun, so long as you're only looking for something to play for maybe five minutes at a time because that's what most Atari games are. But for that kind of game, some of them are good. So I'd say give it a chance...

I can sit down and play Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Demon Attack, Berserk, Snoopy vs. the Red Baron any day.

Get a friend and play Combat - Tank Pong. It's the best multiplayer mode ever created.

Oh, and paddle controllers are awesome.

One of the best control schemes ever, it's a tragedy they have been forgotten.

Teknoman

But the prices D:

Lol maybe...

That reminds me of the days where people would give away now high priced items in free to a good home thread. The first thread had like a whole Sega CD RPG collection, someone got a Dreamcast, and more.

Never see something like that again.

12RVHnk.png
Is this legit? As a 1993 release, I wouldn't have expected an ESRB E rating.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is this legit? As a 1993 release, I wouldn't have expected an ESRB E rating.

Yeah that's weird. I have a Player's Choice copy and it's rated K-A.

You just wanted an excuse to post boobs, didn't you?

Shaneus

There's a kickstarter right now for commodore 64 housings. Dunno if there's a thread for the system and I'm not really familiar with it, but I figured someone would be interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1670214687/original-commodore-64c-computer-housing-in-new-coo

Seen via thursdaycustom's facebook page.
I honestly can't believe how damn cheap they are. No wonder it's at $90k when the original KS was only for $10k.

Edit: Something really strange about that. Adding up all the backers with their rewards it only adds up to around $40k. Unless there's an angel investor looking at buying an absolute fuckload outside of those reward tiers... something is off.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Im with you on this. Actually bougth a 2600 maybe 6 years ago, but sold it two years later since I never seemed to find anything I liked - even though I had a lot of the "best regarded" games on it. Famicom and onwards for me as well!

IrishNinja

*adjusts sunglasses* oh hey there retro-GAF, didn't see you there - guess i was too busy showin' off my CD-i that a buddy donated, with a copy of ZOMBIE DINOS no less. *pops collars* yeah i guess you guys can look at it n whatever

turns out zombie dinos is another take on compton's encyclopedia or something (presumably extreme?!), not that i'd know since it's giving errors when trying to read discs but hey, the price was right and you gotta love the VCR look. also from what i understand of the library i may be better off this way at the moment

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
*adjusts sunglasses* oh hey there retro-GAF, didn't see you there - guess i was too busy showin' off my CD-i that a buddy donated, with a copy of ZOMBIE DINOS no less. *pops collars* yeah i guess you guys can look at it n whatever

turns out zombie dinos is another take on compton's encyclopedia or something (presumably extreme?!), not that i'd know since it's giving errors when trying to read discs but hey, the price was right and you gotta love the VCR look. also from what i understand of the library i may be better off this way at the moment

Allz I know is that photo is like... everything right in the world.

Damn I need that Retro Gamer. Is that the current issue??

EDIT: Apparently it is. Issue 139. I'll be heading my local Barnes & Noble in the next couple of days.

baphomet

Gotta RGB mod that thing!

IrishNinja

haha, exactly...ill take upscaed shitty composite for the one time ill want it hooked up, once its working anyway

So Man Puncher got banned? Damn shame.

How will I get my daily dose of retroGAF chuckles?

yeah, im guessing that crazy persona 3 thread somehow? dunno, hope dude's not gone for long
i need to follow more of ya'll on twitter/XBL/PSN/etc though

Teknoman

haha, exactly...ill take upscaed shitty composite for the one time ill want it hooked up, once its working anyway

yeah, im guessing that crazy persona 3 thread somehow? dunno, hope dude's not gone for long
i need to follow more of ya'll on twitter/XBL/PSN/etc though

Yeah probably that thread. Place is like a minefield.

Top Bottom