• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I brought up a joint PS3/360 Collecting & Appreciation thread before since so much of their libraries are the same. I'd almost be willing to make an OT but I'm really not much for cinematic blockbuster AAAAAAA games that so characterized the mainstream image of those platforms so I'm not sure I'd be the best person for that..

I think the idea of a combined thread is pretty good, since they share 99% of the worthwhile library. Definitely seems like it is about time now imo, especially since there is already a Wii-thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Do PS3 games count as retro?

Is it worth buying the Kingdom Hearts HD collections on PS3 as someone who really likes RPG but has no affinity for Disney?

They're physical only and it seems like stores are dropping PS3 games like last week's veggies. Amazon has both for $25 CAD which is a bit much for a maybe game IMO but I'm trying to build up my physical exclusive PS3 library before it gets hard to get games new.

Ya know... I was actually thinking about this, and... I'm not sure I could even consider the PS3 and 360 retro, like... at any point. It's less about the absolute age of those consoles and more about the design philosophy that permeated pre-360 systems vs. the modern approach. Pre-360 games felt like they were made for "gamers," while modern games largely focus on catering to everyone. And then there's all the modern gaming trappings that took off with the 360 like achievements, DLC, etc. I feel like it's fundamentally different, and misses the point of "retro" gaming, as it were.

Morfeo

Ya know... I was actually thinking about this, and... I'm not sure I could even consider the PS3 and 360 retro, like... at any point. It's less about the absolute age of those consoles and more about the design philosophy that permeated pre-360 systems vs. the modern approach. Pre-360 games felt like they were made for "gamers," while modern games largely focus on catering to everyone. And then there's all the modern gaming trappings that took off with the 360 like achievements, DLC, etc. I feel like it's fundamentally different, and misses the point of "retro" gaming, as it were.

So I definitely agree with this, but still think there are some worthwhile games that do not suffer too much from this, and thus that it is indeed worth having a collector-thread for them. No reason to split it up for the fanboy warz though.

That's a younger group of people that would enter that thread which would ultimately turn into Console Warez. Or I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure the mods would shut down piracy talk.

Oh, you mean console wars? Yeah, this particular one's still kind of fresh (hell, I don't think the 7th gen console generation has properly died yet, it's still kicking well over ten years later), it'd be a bad idea to merge them into one thread.

I'd hope that merging into one thread would cut down on war bullshit.

Plus I think most of the kiddies that dug deep into the trenches sold off their old systems to buy a PS4. Just look at the amount of topics with "why don't they port {every PS3 game} to PS4!?!?!? I sold my PS3 3 years ago!!! lost to time!!!"

Morfeo

I'd hope that merging into one thread would cut down on war bullshit.

Plus I think most of the kiddies that dug deep into the trenches sold off their old systems to buy a PS4. Just look at the amount of topics with "why don't they port {every PS3 game} to PS4!?!?!? I sold my PS3 3 years ago!!! lost to time!!!"

Yeah i agree with this. The people who would participate in PS360 fanboy warz are probably way beyond those consoles by now.

Glowsquid

Layer Section is Rayforce and Layer Section II is Raystorm going by the Saturn home releases.

I edited it before seeing your post, oops.

I swear the Ray___ games have the most pointlessly confusing naming of any video game series.

The "lost to history" meme is fast-becoming one of the most irritating saying on NeoGaf. Stuff that has a serious chancce of being "lost to time" would be things like the LaserActive, prototype arcade boards, or floppy games. Not mass-produced games released worldwide on mainstream consoles.

Yeah i agree with this. The people who would participate in PS360 fanboy warz are probably way beyond those consoles by now.
I don't know, look at YouTube comments on retro titles for Genesis /Snes for example. Despite what we think here, those posters walk amongst us here on gaf.

dubc35

Happy 40th anniversary, Data East

My Data East memory is only Bad Dudes...complete with Data East truck of course

8Ki5X1c.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

The "lost to history" meme is fast-becoming one of the most irritating saying on NeoGaf. Stuff that has a serious chancce of being "lost to time" would be things like the LaserActive, prototype arcade boards, or floppy games. Not mass-produced games released worldwide on mainstream consoles.

Well, I think saying that something like Afterburner Climax is "lost to time" is kind of fair, in that there's literally no legitimate way to obtain the game anymore. There are legitimate concerns to be had with stuff like that, but naturally, people tend to take it a bit too far.

PS2 games that don't get re-released on PS4, for example, are absolutely not, in any way, shape, or form; lost to time.

Glowsquid

Well, I think saying that something like Afterburner Climax is "lost to time" is kind of fair, in that there's literally no legitimate way to obtain the game anymore. There are legitimate concerns to be had with stuff like that, but naturally, people tend to take it a bit too far.

The long-term availability of download-only games (may they currently be delisted or not) is indeed a valid concern, I doN,t disagree.

But then I read stuff like saying Condemned 2 (a retail PS3/X360 game filling bargain bins worldwide) will be LOST TO TIME because it's not ported to the PS4. It's like, cmon. It's such a pointlessly melodramatic thing to say.

Danny Dudekisser

But then I read stuff like saying Condemned 2 (a retail PS3/X360 game filling bargain bins worldwide) will be LOST TO TIME because it's not ported to the PS4. It's like, cmon. It's such a pointlessly melodramatic thing to say.

Dumb people are always going to be dumb.

Morfeo

I don't know, look at YouTube comments on retro titles for Genesis /Snes for example. Despite what we think here, those posters walk amongst us here on gaf.

Yeah, they might exist, but we never see them in the other retro-threads which might be why i am positive about them not showing up.

PS2 games that don't get re-released on PS4, for example, are absolutely not, in any way, shape, or form; lost to time.

I very much agree with this. After Burner Climax is a game I would LOVE to buy and play, but simply have no options at getting since it never got a retail release. There are lots of games like this, and it will only become more common going forward.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, they might exist, but we never see them in the other retro-threads which might be why i am positive about them not showing up.

I very much agree with this. After Burner Climax is a game I would LOVE to buy and play, but simply have no options at getting since it never got a retail release. There are lots of games like this, and it will only become more common going forward.

Licensing will eventually kill most things we like. Music licensing, in particular. I mean, hell, didn't Rockstar actually patch the Steam version of GTA SA to remove music to which the license had expired? Shit like that sucks.

BKK

Licensing for digital games sucks when it expires, but there is a legitimate way to play After Burner Climax at least. Lindberghs can be bought for not not that much more than a new console, and games for not that much more than a new console game. I think that if you shop around you could get a Lindbergh for under $500, and After Burner Climax for under $100 ... I've been considering getting into Lindbergh for a while ... hopefully the prices continue to drop.

Still ... if you want the full experience ... you can buy it now .. at a cost.

Danny Dudekisser

Licensing for digital games sucks when it expires, but there is a legitimate way to play After Burner Climax at least. Lindberghs can be bought for not not that much more than a new console, and games for not that much more than a new console game. I think that if you shop around you could get a Lindbergh for under $500, and After Burner Climax for under $100 ... I've been considering getting into Lindbergh for a while ... hopefully the prices continue to drop.

Well... it's less about that specific game and more about how that can and will happen to a bunch of games.

KC-Slater

I can't believe that cab used a CRT in 2006!

Consolized Sega arcade hardware (Naomi and later) is much more accessible than people realize. Get in before prices go all Neo Geo.

I can't believe that cab used a CRT in 2006!

Consolized Sega arcade hardware (Naomi and later) is much more accessible than people realize. Get in before prices go all Neo Geo.

I want an ST-V eventually, if only for Groove-On Fight. I love that game, but the Saturn port is supposed to be worse (even despite the hardware parity, go figure).

KC-Slater

I want an ST-V eventually, if only for Groove-On Fight. I love that game, but the Saturn port is supposed to be worse (even despite the hardware parity, go figure).

ST-V has the advantage of being primarily cart based too.

About half of Naomi's library is cart based, including most of the banger titles.

Naomi/Chihiro/Tri-Force all make use of the same Net Dimm component that can be used to load games over a network, which don't require switching carts/discs, and prevent wear and tear.

I personally love the fact that ST-V and Naomi games are on carts! It makes collecting them feel much more tangible than having an optical disc, especially considering neither really have any sort of distinguishable box/packaging, but that may be just me.

bearbytes

Game Gear with McWill's LCD mod is a revelation.

Wow those look really nice. I never had a Game Gear back in the day, I remember playing a classmates on field trips.

I picked up a few games on the cheap at an antique store while back, these shots are making me think I should look into getting a modded system!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Let's bump this in 5-10 years and see how you feel. When it's associated with old graphics from an old era of history ... it'll be retro.

In my mind, retro is only "old". It has nothing to do with game design philosophies, media formats, etc.

Let's bump this in 5-10 years and see how you feel. When it's associated with old graphics from an old era of history ... it'll be retro.

In my mind, retro is only "old". It has nothing to do with game design philosophies, media formats, etc.

Eh. I think there'll probably be some different terms for different eras of retro. Not just the 'console generations' but proper eras divided by design philosophy rather than graphics or tech.

Danny Dudekisser

Eh. I think there'll probably be some different terms for different eras of retro. Not just the 'console generations' but proper eras divided by design philosophy rather than graphics or tech.

I'd agree with that. Like... 8-16 bit is a distinct era, 32-128bit (ie: gen 6) is an era, and modern gaming is its own set of shit.

But I think gen 5 and 6 are closer to gen 3-4 than 5 and 6 are to 7 and 8.

Peltz

I hear what you're saying but I can't really agree with you.

I felt the same thing the first time someone referred to N64 as old school. I was like, nah it's polygonal so it's modern.

Eventually, Xbox and PS3 will feel old school the same way N64 does today. We just don't have the perspective of time to see it yet.

Mega

Banned
At one time for me, Mario 64 was so cutting edge and such a perfect 3D platformer that I could not see how it would EVER be considered retro. I remember reading GamePro and EGM full of PS1 and Saturn game previews, thinking... how are games going to become any better than this other than becoming photorealistic! Then PS2 came out, the MGS2 demo blew everyone the fuck away... did anyone at the time really think that would be an old-school classic one day? Same for the best of Gamecube and Xbox.

There are a number of factors at play, but I think eventually gaming will move on to such an extent that PS3/360 will become undeniably retro gaming experiences. I say disregard that the consoles came out in the mid 2000s, games were still coming out for it pretty recently. Give it another 10 years.

televator

PS3 will definitely be "Retro" at some point, but I think it'll be the like the Genesis as far as game prices go. Mostly cheap to find games with a few exceptions. Maybe something Folklore, Ghostbusters, or Katamari Forever will be higher priced due to lack of sales or production run. IDK...

People will probably also like to import some physical Japanese games like Okami HD since I don't think many games carried over to PS4's PSN.

Danny Dudekisser

Eh, even the stuff that's more than a decade old tends to feel different, though. I mean, I see what you guys are saying, and I get it.

I'll be honest, though -- I think part of the reason I wanna split the two is because I just think the 360 and PS3 were mostly junk.

televator

With PS3 having a lot of great exclusives, 360 having better 3rd party ports that many collectors won't wanna play on PC, and both having worthwhile imports, I don't think the market will see it that way.

Mega

Banned
I agree re: PS3/360 cheapness and non-desirability in the future... although I hear Genesis interest has picked up steam because it's a fantastic alternative to the skyrocketing SNES and TG-16/PC Engine prices.

PS2 and Xbox are still mostly cheap as hell. Gamecube prices are crawling up. I see a mirror situation with PS3/360 mainly getting no attention and the Wii U library gaining a strong cult following with disc prices to reflect that. All my Wii U stuff is digital and I'm thinking now or very soon is the time to decide if I wanna get physical copies of the good stuff. Perhaps the main thing holding me back are the lack of manuals and the flimsy eco-friendly cases.

There's a good amount of top notch PS3 and 360 games, but to get there you have to wade through a mountain of cinematic dogshit shooters and boring open world games.

Still most of my interest in PS3 at this point is the riches of HD remakes on the system, which admittedly aren't all that necessary since often the PS2 versions are cheaper and just fine in their original 480.

televator

I agree re: PS3/360 cheapness and non-desirability in the future... although I hear Genesis interest has picked up steam because it's a fantastic alternative to the skyrocketing SNES and TG-16/PC Engine prices.

PS2 and Xbox are still mostly cheap as hell. Gamecube prices are crawling up. I see a mirror situation with PS3/360 mainly getting no attention and the Wii U library gaining a strong cult following with disc prices to reflect that. All my Wii U stuff is digital and I'm thinking now or very soon is the time to decide if I wanna get physical copies of the good stuff. Perhaps the main thing holding me back are the lack of manuals and the flimsy eco-friendly cases.

That's one thing that might be a good thing as far as prices go... I mean yeah it sucks to not have physical manuals, but it might inadvertently make it more worthwhile to cheap out on Disc only copies. PS3 game covers in particular are super easy to reprint, and both WiiU and PS3 BD discs are highly durable and scratch resistant.

Peltz

Eh, even the stuff that's more than a decade old tends to feel different, though. I mean, I see what you guys are saying, and I get it.

I'll be honest, though -- I think part of the reason I wanna split the two is because I just think the 360 and PS3 were mostly junk.

I'd argue that the 360 and PS3 had more complete and more eclectic libraries than any consoles that came before them. And I say that as both a retro and modern gamer.

People think they're junk because they probably overstayed their welcome by a few years. If you crammed the same library into a more traditional 5 year window, people would have a better respect for how the two consoles stack up against the NES, SNES, PS2 and others. The variety is really unparalleled.

Glowsquid

personally I have plenty of HD twins games I enjoy, probably as much as the GC/Xbox when all is said and done. 2006-2010 is one of my favourite periods in vidcon history.

though I suspect I have more fondness for Z-tier linear FPS and TPS than most human beings so my perspective is probably worth ignoring

D.Lo

Now is the time to buy quirky PS3/360/Wii games. Cheap and still in good condition.

I'm guessing 15 years from now it will be a bit of a gamegear situation though, as in a hardware crapshoot. Apart from some of the later revisions, those consoles generally run too hot and literally slowly die just by being played.

Morfeo

Now is the time to buy quirky PS3/360/Wii games. Cheap and still in good condition.

I'm guessing 15 years from now it will be a bit of a gamegear situation though, as in a hardware crapshoot. Apart from some of the later revisions, those consoles generally run too hot and literally slowly die just by being played.

Yeah, I have the third generation PS3, and that machine gets crazy hot still. Those machines are terribly built. Both the Wii and the 360 (slim) that I have feels much more solid.

Anyways, what are peoples suggestions for cheap and fun/quirky PS360Wii-games?

Top Bottom