• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I really need to go get a new 360 before its too late (a later revision) as mine is on the way out (disk drive issues).
My launch Japanese PS3 still works though, might have to get a newer revision as a backup just to be on the safe side, as there is no way that I'll be without it while there are several Yakuza games exclusive to the platform (and I love that series so much!)

My launch PS3 sounds like a 747 in my entertainment center. Gets ungodly hot & the fans too loud, I give it another year or two. Buy yeah, these consoles are going the way of the Game Gear.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, the Yakuza-series is amazing. Sucks they stopped releasing retail versions though, but guess the most important is to get them at all.

androvsky

Yeah, the Yakuza-series is amazing. Sucks they stopped releasing retail versions though, but guess the most important is to get them at all.
If it helps, Yakuza Zero is supposed to be getting a physical release in the West next year, and Limited Run Games is trying to get Sega to let them do a run of Yakuza 5 discs.

Mega

Banned
My launch Wii is still running nice and cool. Great little system.

I am surprised at how cheap some of the games are. Not long ago I got Sin & Punishment, Muramasa, DKCR and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for $15-20 each. Sonic Colors, Zack & Wiki, Epic Yarn, Galaxy 1 and 2, NSMB, Mario Kart, Prime 3, No More Heroes, Okami... almost all the top games on the system can be had for $10-$20.

Mega

Banned
That's why I was surprised to get it for so little recently at a local shop. This is exactly the sort of game that hits all the coveted title checkmarks and whose retro "equivalents" fetch around $100. I've read that getting it to the US the first time was a miracle and there's little/zero chance today or in the future that it will br ported to another system.

Teknoman

Yeah, I have the third generation PS3, and that machine gets crazy hot still. Those machines are terribly built. Both the Wii and the 360 (slim) that I have feels much more solid.

Anyways, what are peoples suggestions for cheap and fun/quirky PS360Wii-games?

Have you played El Shaddai? Because you should play El Shaddai.

Seconded. I never could truly get into the combat but I loved the visuals and atmosphere so much. Its one of the most beautiful games I ever played.

Also, while I remember it - Catherine is well worth playing. Its insanely addictive and once the puzzle mechanics "click" you'll be unable to put the game down. The levels are devilishly designed and oh so fun (in my opinion). Cracking game.

televator

Yeah, I have the third generation PS3, and that machine gets crazy hot still. Those machines are terribly built. Both the Wii and the 360 (slim) that I have feels much more solid.

Anyways, what are peoples suggestions for cheap and fun/quirky PS360Wii-games?

I already mentioned Katamari Forever. It's native 1080p and has basically every level of all the games in it. It also maintains the high quality in the soundtrack and the humor.

Ghostbusters, I also mentioned, but it's super fun and more people should play it. Atari also went out of business mid gen. So copies of GB ought to be somewhat limited, but they're still cheap right now.

Ratchet & Clank games are also really good on PS3. You like platforming? You like a variable arsenal of weapons? You like self aware humor? You like Pixar CG movies? Well then you have some weird tastes, but get R&C games because they're great.

Morfeo

agree yakuza is awesome

Indeed!

If it helps, Yakuza Zero is supposed to be getting a physical release in the West next year, and Limited Run Games is trying to get Sega to let them do a run of Yakuza 5 discs.

This is awesome news, definitely getting that then!

The Bigs 2 is an awesome arcade baseball game. it has a pinball mode. People who like the neo geo baseball games would do themselves a service to check it out.

Thanks!

I already mentioned Katamari Forever. It's native 1080p and has basically every level of all the games in it. It also maintains the high quality in the soundtrack and the humor.

Ghostbusters, I also mentioned, but it's super fun and more people should play it. Atari also went out of business mid gen. So copies of GB ought to be somewhat limited, but they're still cheap right now.

Ratchet & Clank games are also really good on PS3. You like platforming? You like a variable arsenal of weapons? You like self aware humor? You like Pixar CG movies? Well then you have some weird tastes, but get R&C games because they're great.

Thanks! I know there are two versions of Ghostbusters (Wii/PS2 and PS360), is one better than the other, or should i consider both?

I have not, it seemed like it looked better than it played, so didnt pick it up, but will on your recommendation!

I have a third gen PS3 and it seems cool, quiet and solid as a rock.

This is the same as I have, and its getting crazy hot for some reason. Maybe mine is faulty :(

Peltz

Now is the time to buy quirky PS3/360/Wii games. Cheap and still in good condition.

I'm guessing 15 years from now it will be a bit of a gamegear situation though, as in a hardware crapshoot. Apart from some of the later revisions, those consoles generally run too hot and literally slowly die just by being played.

I think the ability to purchase most retail games on 360 and PS3 on a digital storefront may help keep those libraries affordable. Hopefully, they stay available online for a long time.

For that reason, I'm not big on having a physical collection of games for those two systems nor my PSVita Digital is nice.

For some odd reason though, I cannot bring myself to go all digital with my Wii U or 3DS. Something about Nintendo's box arts just makes me want to own them all physically.

PS: Are any of you retro gaffers grabbing Starfox this weekend? It looks sooooo dope. My old school heart is yearning to shred into it after literally thousands of hours of Starfox 64.

dubc35

I think the ability to purchase most retail games on 360 and PS3 on a digital storefront may help keep those libraries affordable. Hopefully, they stay available online for a long time.

For that reason, I'm not big on having a physical collection of games for those two systems nor my PSVita Digital is nice.

For some odd reason though, I cannot bring myself to go all digital with my Wii U or 3DS. Something about Nintendo's box arts just makes me want to own them all physically.

PS: Are any of you retro gaffers grabbing Starfox this weekend? It looks sooooo dope. My old school heart is yearning to shred into it after literally thousands of hours of Starfox 64.

I guess I am much more pessimistic (realistic?) that the digital storefronts will not be accessible via original hardware. I only have a couple digital games (from the Sony PSN hack) so I may be missing something obvious that has been said in the past or some way to access the games via PC or something.

KC-Slater

Are any of you retro gaffers grabbing Starfox this weekend? It looks sooooo dope. My old school heart is yearning to shred into it after literally thousands of hours of Starfox 64.

I cancelled my pre-order yesterday. I saw it in person back in the summer, and wasn't impressed. It just looked bland and it ran/played really slow. Smooth, but slow -- like the Arwing was on a conveyor belt in an airport terminal. I was hoping that the delay and critical feedback would result in some much needed design changes. It sadly it still has forced motion controls, so I'm out. I hope people still have fun with it, though.

Peltz

I cancelled my pre-order yesterday. I saw it in person back in the summer, and wasn't impressed. It just looked bland and it ran/played really slow. Smooth, but slow -- like the Arwing was on a conveyor belt in an airport terminal. I was hoping that the delay and critical feedback would result in some much needed design changes. It sadly it still has forced motion controls, so I'm out. I hope people still have fun with it, though.

But you're the only hope for our world!

Khaz

I guess I am much more pessimistic (realistic?) that the digital storefronts will not be accessible via original hardware. I only have a couple digital games (from the Sony PSN hack) so I may be missing something obvious that has been said in the past or some way to access the games via PC or something.

Nintendo cutting away access to DSiWare on the DSi but not on the 3DS certainly is a thing. It will also most likely happen to the Wii too, that wouldn't be the first time they purposefully cut access to stuff on the Wii to force people to upgrade to the WiiU (weather channel and news channel were certainly victims of the WiiU having a disappointing launch)

Microsoft also famously cut away everything online on the first Xbox, under pretences of incompatibilities with the new account system. At least there was no digital game to make unavailable.Their 360 is still making money so they won't touch it for now (and if they did, I believe they know many people would switch to Sony instead of getting a new Xbox). However, once it becomes a relic, next generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it were DSi'd.

I'm actually enjoying the motion controls and second screen stuff in the game way more than I expected I would. Gyro controls for precise aiming work, just like how they improved Uncharted for the Vita (in my opinion). I loved the first 3 stages I played, the 4th though with the gyro copter is a really slow level with not much to shoot at, seems like a better tech demo for what the vehicle could do as opposed to making it a awesome level.

I definitely think its better than every SF game since 64 though.

Anyway, back to retro stuff. I'm really hyped as my new PC Engine Duo R should arrive tomorrow :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Catherine is really cool. I'll also throw in a sound recommendation for El Shaddai. You have to go into it with the right mindset -- they promoted the game as being like Devil May Cry, but with one button for combat, and... it's really not. It feels like the kind of PS2-era action game that fell by the wayside once everything started trying to be DMC. Which I think is a good thing -- it feels different.

One of the most interesting games I've played. I think the PS3 version is better overall, though it's kind of give and take between the versions.

televator

Indeed!

This is awesome news, definitely getting that then!

Thanks!

Thanks! I know there are two versions of Ghostbusters (Wii/PS2 and PS360), is one better than the other, or should i consider both?

I have not, it seemed like it looked better than it played, so didnt pick it up, but will on your recommendation!

This is the same as I have, and its getting crazy hot for some reason. Maybe mine is faulty :(

The PS360 Ghostbusters is the fun one. I don't really know much of the Wii/PS2 one, but it doesn't look as good.

Morfeo

Definitely! Preordered it back in last autumn and really looking forward to it!

Rich!

I just attempted to replace the shell on that DS lite I bought for a tenner

if hell exists, it's full of ds hinge replacement duties

I never want to see a ds lite again

Peagles

I just attempted to replace the shell on that DS lite I bought for a tenner

if hell exists, it's full of ds hinge replacement duties

I never want to see a ds lite again

Hahaha... I used to do a few of these per week back when DS Lites were popular, easy way to make a living except for the frustration and stress of threading ribbon cables through hinges!

Rich!

Hahaha... I used to do a few of these per week back when DS Lites were popular, easy way to make a living except for the frustration and stress of threading ribbon cables through hinges!

Heh well, I now have a game boy macro project.

Not a bother anyhow it was only a tenner! I was hoping I would have been able to salvage it for my daughter, but she likely would have broken it anyway! 2DS may be the way to go.

Teknoman

Arent you able to play it with normal controls? Or at least thats what i've seen in the review threads.

I am going to Tokyo next month to search for goodies. Any stores for recommendations apart from those in Akibahara? I see people mentioning Hard Off, which seems to be an awesome store. I don't know if the selections vary between each store. Which specific Hard Off store should I go? Thank you.

Arent you able to play it with normal controls? Or at least thats what i've seen in the review threads.

You can disable motion controls to an extent, but not completely. And you can't disable the second screen stuff, its used so much that it'd be impossible to play it without the Wii U gamepad (which sucks as I wanted to use my pro pad). After spending more time with the game I don't think its great. Its way too gimicky and the bosses suck. And the controls are starting to get too fiddly for their own good. Its not bad either, I want to like it, but its just not doing it for me. Once I'm done with it I'm booting up Star Fox 64 for a palette cleanser.

Rydeen

I am going to Tokyo next month to search for goodies. Any stores for recommendations apart from those in Akibahara? I see people mentioning Hard Off, which seems to be an awesome store. I don't know if the selections vary between each store. Which specific Hard Off store should I go? Thank you.
Hard-Off stores are basically pawn shops or thrift stores, so inventory is completely based on what people bring in to sell / trade. My recommendation is to go on Google Maps and do a search for Hard-Offs around Japan so you can check one out anytime you may be nearby one.

Unfortunately the majority of the Hard-Off stores in Tokyo are well picked over, but if you're willing to venture out into the suburbs you will have a much easier time finding deals. Book-Offs are also worth looking in in the suburbs, stores in Tokyo won't have anything older than PlayStation 2, but Book-Offs in the suburbs will carry Famicom and Super Famicom games sometimes for steals.

Hard-Off stores are basically pawn shops or thrift stores, so inventory is completely based on what people bring in to sell / trade. My recommendation is to go on Google Maps and do a search for Hard-Offs around Japan so you can check one out anytime you may be nearby one.

Unfortunately the majority of the Hard-Off stores in Tokyo are well picked over, but if you're willing to venture out into the suburbs you will have a much easier time finding deals. Book-Offs are also worth looking in in the suburbs, stores in Tokyo won't have anything older than PlayStation 2, but Book-Offs in the suburbs will carry Famicom and Super Famicom games sometimes for steals.

I have been to Book-Off (in urban area) and the pricing for games is not very good. It seems that I need to venture out the city. I will see what I can find. Thank you!

televator

Pikmin showed me that splitting my attention between 2 screens is more effort than I'm willing to give in a game. And something about making the gamepad a realtime gameplay focal point while I have an HDTV just rubs me the wrong way. I'm certainly not going to take the chance for 60 bucks at the very least.

Maybe if I hooked the WiiU up to a small monitor, I'd feel like wasn't putting the plasma to waste... but that still leaves my first issue.

Peltz

You're meant to look at the TV screen about 90% of the time. The Gamepad screen is really just to snipe some of the hard angled shots.

I find the whole setup to be extremely intuitive and very sensible. The gameplay flow feels perfect - just like Star Fox 64 but with a slightly more a kinetic feel to it. It's very refined and allows for a lot of nuanced maneuvers.

I'm absolutely floored that people are struggling to control it.

televator

You're meant to look at the TV screen about 90% of the time. The Gamepad screen is really just to snipe some of the hard angled shots.

I find the whole setup to be extremely intuitive and very sensible.

Well I remain skeptical due to a previous Nintendo title, and there's the matter of how much cost I'm willing to wager on it.

New retro console acquired this weekend:

My new PC Engine Duo R. Its a really slick console (I already love the design more than the Duo) and unlike my last Duo it plays CD games properly (I had several problems with sound on my Duo that I could never fix).
I've spent the day alternating between Dracula X (which is just as amazing as ever) and Side Arms Special (as part of my Capcom playthrough. I'm not a fan of the remixed "Before Christ" mode on Side Arms Special. I don't like the fact that you no longer respawn immediately when you die, you get chucked back to the beginning of the level (no mid level checkpoints, just checkpoints for the bosses). The levels get fairly difficult by the time you hit level 6-7... unless you can find the hidden health powerups its going to be fairly difficult to get through the level...
Plus the new bosses aren't all that amazing. Most are fairly annoying to fight (especially the 5th boss). I did find the easiest way of clearing the later levels was to use rapid fire. It essentially disables the charge shot but rapid fire shots are far more useful in frantic firefights than taking time out to charge the shots.
I did love the new soundtrack though, that's the one plus on this new version. I'd say the Hu Card version is still better though, its a accurate port of the arcade version and it has no loading times (so no pauses between bosses or levels).

televator

I guess for me, part of the problem is that I don't find the Gamepad to be cool? I mean that relatively speaking, my plasma TV is far superior to the Gamepad. The reason I bought the TV is to display my games among other things with the best quality for my money. Forcing me to look at the Gamepad is forcing me to look at something far lesser. That's why I think hooking up the WiiU to a cheap 15" LCD I have lying about will help with that part of my psychology. It probably makes no sense to other people.

I mean that relatively speaking, my plasma TV is far superior to the Gamepad. The reason I bought the TV is to display my games among other things with the best quality for my money. Forcing me to look at the Gamepad is forcing me to look at something far lesser.

This is why I never picked up that Kirby game.

Japanese arcade Time Crisis doesn't fuck around.

12446340_1806072106280268_1851220354_n.jpg

source

Top Bottom