• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

I guess for me, part of the problem is that I don't find the Gamepad to be cool? I mean that relatively speaking, my plasma TV is far superior to the Gamepad. The reason I bought the TV is to display my games among other things with the best quality for my money. Forcing me to look at the Gamepad is forcing me to look at something far lesser. That's why I think hooking up the WiiU to a cheap 15" LCD I have lying about will help with that part of my psychology. It probably makes no sense to other people.
It does make sense. I certainly care about the quality of the screen I'm looking at.

But at the same time, after a certain point, I can forget about screen quality, resolution, and even framerate to enjoy something if it's fun. All of that stuff, while nice, sort of melts away when the experience is compelling enough.

Mega

Banned
I guess for me, part of the problem is that I don't find the Gamepad to be cool? I mean that relatively speaking, my plasma TV is far superior to the Gamepad. The reason I bought the TV is to display my games among other things with the best quality for my money. Forcing me to look at the Gamepad is forcing me to look at something far lesser. That's why I think hooking up the WiiU to a cheap 15" LCD I have lying about will help with that part of my psychology. It probably makes no sense to other people.

It makes perfect sense. I calibrated my Panasonic plasma to my liking and looks perfect to me. When I got a Wii U I was disappointed by the gamepad's screen quality. Low res, dull inaccurate colors (red especially), low contrast makes it look hazy and washed out. I hate the Kirby game. Nice graphics but the game forces you to look at a small low quality screen. I don't like segments in games that significantly pull you away from the main screen. W101 is annoying, Splatoon did it perfectly.

The gamepad is mostly crap. Ergonomics aren't so great and the weight makes it really bad for extended gameplay sessions. I have gotten pain, cramping, stiffness and overall fatigue in my hands from so many games on this monstrosity.

Glowsquid

I'm not picky about video quality, but I dislike the gamepad's screen. Everything looks so washed out.

televator

I thought I might be crazy, but I guess I just forgot where I was. This is RetroGAF. it's the goddamn madhouse. lol :p

Yeah in Pikmin the Gamepad did an excellent job of smearing itself into oblivion when scrolling the map. Ask me to play Starfox through that?... Yyyyeeeeuuuuuughh

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's one of the things I appreciate about the Gamecube. It was the last Ninty console where they weren't forcing some unnecessary shit on you. Like, they had the Game Boy connectivity thing, but you never felt forced to use that noise.

what's up retro brothers and sisters:

got some more retro shooters to go with capcom collection 2 that i brought last week.

TPleOd3h.jpg

Teknoman

Just an update, Star Fox Zero is off. da. hook.

It may be the best rail shooter ever made.

Man Amazon is taking forever! Im going in with alt controls where gyro is button toggled, but I really cant wait for high speed lylat platinum action.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I love Starfox Zero as well instead of looking down at the pad I got used to hitting - to switch the game-pad view to my monitor instead since looking up and down caused too much gaps in seeing what was happening for the sections that needed it.

Teknoman

I love Starfox Zero as well instead of looking down at the pad I got used to hitting - to switch the game-pad view to my monitor instead since looking up and down caused too much gaps in seeing what was happening for the sections that needed it.

That sounds like the best way to control either way.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah after I adjusted to the gyro it was a more precise SF64 for me. As someone who hates gyro controls normally I'm surprised I wasn't disappointed with it! I guess blind faith works out sometimes.

I'll have to give that a shot, maybe it'll help a few sections I wasn't keen on. That said, I'm still not a big fan of several levels in the game. Zoness (either of the stages) is just no fun at all and the snowy level wasn't very good either. A couple of the on rails levels close to the end of the game were ace though. If anything, I'm just disappointed that the game wasn't entirely on rails, as those are the levels I enjoy the best. I still personally think Star Fox 64 is the best game in the series, that is one game I could replay over and over for all of time!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't think Zoness is a well designed level at all after replaying with the Arwing. I haven't hit a snow stage in my routes yet but I'll see how it is whenever I find a way to it.

televator

Okay, that doesn't sound bad! Huh... maybe I can convince my friend to buy the game. Then I can try it out... **Rubs hands together like a villain**

Do PS3 games count as retro?

Is it worth buying the Kingdom Hearts HD collections on PS3 as someone who really likes RPG but has no affinity for Disney?

They're physical only and it seems like stores are dropping PS3 games like last week's veggies. Amazon has both for $25 CAD which is a bit much for a maybe game IMO but I'm trying to build up my physical exclusive PS3 library before it gets hard to get games new.

So I ordered them. Not sure exactly when I'll get around to playing them but they seem like the kinds of games that could increase in price in the near term as stock starts to dry up.

Well, except knowing Square Enix they'll probably get re-released on every platform under the sun before long but still.

Palom

Opinion on recording RPG playthroughs:

How would you guys cut the footage for uploads or rather an idea length for each video?
I have a YouTube channel that is just about all RPG play-throughs. I just kind of separate into sections of the story, like get story, go here, fight boss, go back more story, cut here and do the next one. I cut out random battles, too. And if side-quest stuff is out of the way, I usually just omit it. Mainly just focus on the main story. My videos tend to be around an hour or so, depending on the game. I was playing Lufia II, and my videos were only like 20-30 minutes, and then Xenosaga had videos that were almost 2 hours.

Teknoman

I have a YouTube channel that is just about all RPG play-throughs. I just kind of separate into sections of the story, like get story, go here, fight boss, go back more story, cut here and do the next one. I cut out random battles, too. And if side-quest stuff is out of the way, I usually just omit it. Mainly just focus on the main story. My videos tend to be around an hour or so, depending on the game. I was playing Lufia II, and my videos were only like 20-30 minutes, and then Xenosaga had videos that were almost 2 hours.

I guess I'll try to shoot for max of 30 minutes each for now. Splitting by events if possible does sound good though.

Peltz

Neat I guess but is this a thing people want? To play NES games with not-NES controllers?

Like, why would you ever want to use a PS4 controller to play Super Mario Bros with extra lag?
I could maybe see someone plugging an arcade stick into it.

It's definitely not of interest to me personally though.

Do people really mind wires that much?

I prefer say the wired PS2 controller to the PS3 wireless controller. Like as long as the wire is long enough, and with controller extensions on say my AV Famicom dogbones, they're never really a problem. And no batteries to worry about.

Edit:

Mega

Banned
It makes sense for a living room setup with FM, NESHDMI or Analogue. HDTVs are huge and require sitting further back for eye and neck comfort, 8-10 feet being pretty common arrangements. It's a hassle (possibly a hazard) with corded controllers stretched from entertainment center to couch. I know because I recently put my N64 with HDMI back in my small living room. While my couch is pretty close to the plasma, it's still not good when people need to walk by. It would be worse in the living room of a typical house.

For the 13-20" CRT, smaller game room setup, I don't see the point. For example, using wired SNES controller with adapter for Gamecube's GB Player doesn't make me wish I was using the Wavebird instead. I'm only 2 feet away.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Do people really mind wires that much?

I prefer say the wired PS2 controller to the PS3 wireless controller. Like as long as the wire is long enough, and with controller extensions on say my AV Famicom dogbones, they're never really a problem. And no batteries to worry about.

I like not worrying about having to charge batteries. The 360 introduced wireless controllers as the standard for the first time, and I just remember that burning through AAs was obnoxious. Everything was so much better once I moved to a wired controller.

And then, I think back to the last time I used the Wavebird, and that shit was laggy. I was trying to play Sonic Mega Collection, and it was kind of unplayable. Might've been because the batteries were dying or something... but whatever, it doesn't matter. Why would I want to use a controller that's not going to be 100% reliable?

Edit: I think basically all of the issues with wireless controllers could be alleviated by companies including a charging cable that's more than 2 feet long. Who is that even useful to?

Mega

Banned
hey all, 2 more shooter came in the mail =)

super r-type cib 32 shipped
and raiden cib 15 shipped

Someone really likes shooters! Nice pickups.

That reminds me... I was recently trying to play Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth on N64. Thought it would be fun but it has absolutely abysmal controls from a precision standpoint! A slight tap of either the d-pad or stick sends you at least a full ship's length in that direction, more if you're not tap-tapping quickly enough. This imprecision led to so many ridiculous deaths near the beginning to a pair of slow lumbering enemies with a slow 3-shot spread. Same day I played Jamestown on a HRAP EX-SE (Seimitsu parts)... a breeze to dodge bullet barrages from a boss. I'm still terrible but at least I knew it was my fault when I got hit.

May seem unfair to compare arcade stick to N64 controller, but it's really about the game itself. Other console shooters with regular pads aren't this bad either. The PC Engine shooters control phenomenally well.

It makes sense for a living room setup with FM, NESHDMI or Analogue. HDTVs are huge and require sitting further back for eye and neck comfort, 8-10 feet being pretty common arrangements. It's a hassle (possibly a hazard) with corded controllers stretched from entertainment center to couch. I know because I recently put my N64 with HDMI back in my small living room. While my couch is pretty close to the plasma, it's still not good when people need to walk by. It would be worse in the living room of a typical house.

For the 13-20" CRT, smaller game room setup, I don't see the point. For example, using wired SNES controller with adapter for Gamecube's GB Player doesn't make me wish I was using the Wavebird instead. I'm only 2 feet away.
I have the exact setup you described in my living room and that's precisely why I'm interested. Official NES controller cords are very short and if this thing doesn't produce notable lag it's kind of a godsend.

Mega

Banned
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to the Neo Geo market.

This is the truth.

While it won't be cheap like other consoles, building a respectable collection of games is possible for a beginner with some spare cash... especially if you go for MVS instead of AES. Problem is after that a lot of desirable games are deep into the hundreds of dollars... and some go into the thousands. You also have to watch out for bootlegs.

Khaz

I'm always amazed when I receive an old video game box full of goodies. The box is heavy because it's so full of stuff! They sure knew how to package their games back in the days.

I recently obtained The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, by Infocom and under direct supervision of Douglas Adams. The game itself is a text adventure game (no pretty pictures!), but they made up for the lack of visuals with stupid stuff in the box! You get, amongst other things, a Don't Panic badge, peril-sensitive sunglasses (black opaque cardboard glasses), some fluff, etc. And of course, no tea.

You can watch an unboxing here: (not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1Pm00BGlc

The game itself is quite cool, very funny, and I would encourage you to play it. It can be difficult sometimes, especially nowadays as we are not used to this kind of gameplay any more. Here is a spoilery review to understand what it's all about if you don't want to play it: http://www.filfre.net/2013/11/hitchhiking-the-galaxy-infocom-style/

You can play it here online, or you can download it over the Internet and play it in an Inform virtual machine on your phone, tablet, whatever.
infocom.gif

televator

I'm really hoping FPGA tech comes around to NeoGeo. It's prohibitively expensive. With an FPGA device, it'll most likely be a slightly cheaper console, but you don't have to worry about a $300 copy of Metal Slug or some such.

BTails

I recently obtained The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, by Infocom and under direct supervision of Douglas Adams. The game itself is a text adventure game (no pretty pictures!), but they made up for the lack of visuals with stupid stuff in the box! You get, amongst other things, a Don't Panic badge, peril-sensitive sunglasses (black opaque cardboard glasses), some fluff, etc. And of course, no tea.

I absolutely love the Hitchhiker's Guide game. Someone brought up the "Babel Fish" puzzle, which happens extremely early on in the game, in the "Hardest Game Ever" thread, and I had to disagree. Compared to some of the early text adventure puzzles, the Babel Fish puzzle is amazingly designed. The game gives you many clues about how to solve it, and the whole thing is designed for you to fail multiple times until you finally figure out exactly the steps needed.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the final puzzle in the game
requires multiple types of lint to complete, including having to break the fourth wall and take the lint that came in the box! Genius.

I'm always amazed when I receive an old video game box full of goodies. The box is heavy because it's so full of stuff! They sure knew how to package their games back in the days.

You can watch an unboxing here: (not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1Pm00BGlc

The game itself is quite cool, very funny, and I would encourage you to play it. It can be difficult sometimes, especially nowadays as we are not used to this kind of gameplay any more. Here is a spoilery review to understand what it's all about if you don't want to play it: http://www.filfre.net/2013/11/hitchhiking-the-galaxy-infocom-style/

You can play it here online, or you can download it over the Internet and play it in an Inform virtual machine on your phone, tablet, whatever.
infocom.gif

man, i had the floppy disc to this game.

IrishNinja

everything else is a weenie

woof, this took me back

I'm really hoping FPGA tech comes around to NeoGeo. It's prohibitively expensive. With an FPGA device, it'll most likely be a slightly cheaper console, but you don't have to worry about a $300 copy of Metal Slug or some such.

i keep saying, this is my most exciting piece of upcoming hardware, if it pans out! i want cycle-accurate neo geo so bad, and some earlier MAME stuff too if i can. everything about that project sounded perfect, i hope it pans out!

Thanks a lot man! As well as all the people thanking me in that thread, you have no idea how I appreciate that. :)

maaan, you've made like a third of the retro threads, my dude! we can always use more solid resource threads, honestly

Mega

Banned

People would line up around the block for $300 Metal Slug. It's like $8000 or so.

If you want Neo Geo now, you can get it for cheap compared to the above nonsense. Get a consolized MVS and a 161 in 1 multicart, which is more like 95 games not counting hacks. There's a 138 in 1 that has a bunch of games not in the 161. Combined you would have most of the Neo Geo library running perfect on legit hardware, minus a few glitchy games. And then collecting other desirable games to round things out would be no problem since MVS cart prices are very reasonable compared to AES stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People would line up around the block for $300 Metal Slug. It's like $8000 or so.

If you want Neo Geo now, you can get it for cheap compared to the above nonsense. Get a consolized MVS and a 161 in 1 multicart, which is more like 95 games not counting hacks. There's a 138 in 1 that has a bunch of games not in the 161. Combined you would have most of the Neo Geo library running perfect on legit hardware, minus a few glitchy games. And then collecting other desirable games to round things out would be no problem since MVS cart prices are very reasonable compared to AES stuff.
They don't just have a flash cart for Neo?

IrishNinja

he's talking about a cycle-perfect machine that does several systems, but even for people like me who mostly want it just for neo-geo: nah, man

the consolized MVS - unless you want something that looks like butt - is already gonna be comparable in price, i'd wager...then you get to find that hundred plus multcart, see how much of what you wanted to play/explore is on there, and to what extent it's playable.

if your option here was cheaper/more complete, i'dve already taken it!

They don't just have a flash cart for Neo?

nah, krikzz has fielded this one a few times, i wanna say...he's pointed to specialty chips/etc used in what's gotta be one of the longest console cycles out there, and how crazy expensive it might be with a varying level of compatibility. he's said it might be doable for someone else, but he's not interested.

i haven't kept up with the NG scene as much since, but best id seen was a KS for another MVS cart adapter or something. this is another option i'd be all over if it was feasible.

Yeah a consolized MVS is going to be just as expensive as an AES system, if not more for one of the nicer ones. The Omega is over 500 bucks.

Plus while for a long time MVS collecting was the way to go, so many people have caught on to that, that MVS prices are getting up there.

I personally have an AES and a Phantom-1 MVS converter (which is currently giving me issues, I basically have to hit it with deoxit every time I want to play an MVS game otherwise I get stupid lines on all the sprites). Though I got my setup like 13 - 15 years ago, I don't think prices on any of it have really budged at all from what I paid.

Top Bottom