• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

I've been wondering, what does the PAL SNES 60Hz mod do? Does it make PAL games run fullscreen and in 60Hz making the experience similar to what you'd get with an NTSC console and NTSC game or is it not that simple/good?

Depends if the game has been "optimised" or not.

Bauer91

Depends if the game has been "optimised" or not.

Bear with me but what does that mean? Apparently all three DKC PAL games are optimized so do they work with the 60Hz mod like their NTSC counterparts or does it mean they are already running in full speed even without the mod (and even though they aren't full screen)?

D.Lo

I've been wondering, what does the PAL SNES 60Hz mod do? Does it make PAL games run fullscreen and in 60Hz making the experience similar to what you'd get with an NTSC console and NTSC game or is it not that simple/good?
If the games have no optimisation (99% of 3rd party games), yes, they will then be exactly the same as the NTSC versions.

Bear with me but what does that mean? Apparently all three DKC PAL games are optimized so do they work with the 60Hz mod like their NTSC counterparts or does it mean they are already running in full speed even without the mod (and even though they aren't full screen)?
If they're optimised, they'll be some combination of too fast, stretched, and sometimes even completely broken.

Bauer91

Hmm, the PAL DKC games seem to run slower (without the mod) to me but apparently they're optimized and the 60Hz mod stretches the image.

J-Roderton

Looking to sell my NES, controllers and a stack of games this week. What's best resource to find fair prices online? I'm not sure about value of the stuff. I'd like to sell the for the best price but not rip anyone off.

Rich!

Looking to sell my NES, controllers and a stack of games this week. What's best resource to find fair prices online? I'm not sure about value of the stuff. I'd like to sell the for the best price but not rip anyone off.

I just check ebay previously sold listings.

eBay previously sold is the best realistic gauge. The Price Charting website is also Ok but keep in mind it takes into account prices that are listed but not necessarily sold so it can be inflated.

You can always post in the GAF buy/sell/trade thread and let us NES freaks know by posting a note in the NES Collecting thread!!!!

Khaz

Hmm, the PAL DKC games seem to run slower (without the mod) to me but apparently they're optimized and the 60Hz mod stretches the image.

Your best way to know is to test it yourself. The easiest is with emulators. Get the ROMs of the game you want to test, both US and EU, at both 60Hz and 50Hz. You want to take notes of differences in picture scaling (if the EU is compressed vertically, if the bars are black or coloured), music tempo, gameplay speed.

Rich!

Damn that was some quick delivery

h7vSlImh.jpg
It's literally not got a scratch on it. Controller is the same. Haven't tried a JP game on it yet to see if it forces 50hz, but PAL games work fine on it.

Will try a JP copy of sonic later, if that defaults to 60hz then that's awesome, if not I'll install a region switch as it's just three wires and will only take a minute.

Rich!

PAL megadrives play their games in 50Hz. All of them. It's a hardware feature.

Yeah, I assumed so.

I'll be installing a three way region switch then. The console, being an Asian model, takes all region carts fine so it's an easy solution.

Just gotta head to maplin later to buy a switch. Will also install a three way LED so that each region has a different colour. Because why not.

Peagles

I have an Asian PAL Mega Drive II somewhere. It has the right slot for JP style carts but won't play them without modding. It's kinda weird. Also it was actually sold in Dubai cos it has some extra stickers on the box, which is weird too hehe.

Rich!

Love the look of the Megadrive 1, Nice pick up, Rich and congrats on the job.

Thanks man

Let's hope I get through the probationary period now! But before that, I've got my court case against the tax and revenue office and I'm gonna fuuuuck them up. Been so, so ridiculously stressed over the past year it's glad to see an end to it all.

I've been a bit upset with myself recently as my stress and general anger has been quite visible to others, and I've been quite abrupt and rude often over the past month due to it all. Sigh

Rich!

Double post but I came across this in town...it's a tobacco and smoking supplies store (bongs, grinders, rizlas, etc). When it's shut though...

8VguAQ8h.jpg

eBay previously sold is the best realistic gauge. The Price Charting website is also Ok but keep in mind it takes into account prices that are listed but not necessarily sold so it can be inflated.

You can always post in the GAF buy/sell/trade thread and let us NES freaks know by posting a note in the NES Collecting thread!!!!
You can filter to only show sold listings on Price Charting.

StevieWhite

shoot! i have to look back in this thread but i'm going to Philly today. anyone know and good retro stores nearby the Philly area?

A little outside of Philly there is Classic Game Junkie. They have stores in Glenside and Westchester. Can't vouch for the WC location, but Glenside is solid; they usually have some interesting stuff (and a lot of FDS games last time I was there).

shoot! i have to look back in this thread but i'm going to Philly today. anyone know and good retro stores nearby the Philly area?

Jay Street in King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting, right up I76. Video Game Guy at Booths Corner & Game & DVD Exchange in Drexel Line Shopping Center. If I'm not on Ebay, this is where I go. Game and DVD guy usually gives me a good deal when I buy multiples. Never been to Classic Game Junkie before, not sure why.

A little outside of Philly there is Classic Game Junkie. They have stores in Glenside and Westchester. Can't vouch for the WC location, but Glenside is solid; they usually have some interesting stuff (and a lot of FDS games last time I was there).

Jay Street in King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting, right up I76. Video Game Guy at Booths Corner & Game & DVD Exchange in Drexel Line Shopping Center. If I'm not on Ebay, this is where I go. Game and DVD guy usually gives me a good deal when I buy multiples. Never been to Classic Game Junkie before, not sure why.

thanks guys, i didn't check GAF till i got back home in NJ but i will be heading back to Philly in a month or sooner so i appreciate the recommendations.

Rich!

Was just reminded of Zelda: Parallel Worlds...

Heh, I never actually got to my name in the credits before (actually, I never even got to the second dungeon...), so I thought I'd have a look to see if I was indeed there.

And yes I am. Hooray.

Khaz

Shopping at yamatoku on eBay is always perilous. They had an uncommon controller I wanted, a Namco volume controller, but since they had so high shipping prices, I ended up also getting three Saturn games (two of them I already own as PAL), a famicom game, and a Super Game Boy. And I don't even own an SNES or Game Boy games.

Shopping at yamatoku on eBay is always perilous. They had an uncommon controller I wanted, a Namco volume controller, but since they had so high shipping prices, I ended up also getting three Saturn games (two of them I already own as PAL), a famicom game, and a Super Game Boy. And I don't even own an SNES or Game Boy games.

635878871872560502-87379949_image.gif

Danchi

I do the same thing. I think it's the fourth item when the postage actually increases now (assuming they're all small items anyway).

A local store has Battle Garegga for £135. The most I've paid before is about £55, but I'm kinda tempted.

Rich!

whoops

I worked out the salary wrong for my new job. It's £6k a year more than I thought.

oh look I just bought an everdrive md by accident

BTails

whoops

I worked out the salary wrong for my new job. It's £6k a year more than I thought.

oh look I just bought an everdrive md by accident

Rich living up to that username! When that Everdrive arrives, make sure to join us for the monthly Genesis/Mega-Drive game club. We play awesome games, drink craft beers, and talk about how amazing Altered Beast is.

Anth0ny

yamatoku on ebay is crack

CRACK

I NEED IT TO LIVE

I do the same thing. I think it's the fourth item when the postage actually increases now (assuming they're all small items anyway).

A local store has Battle Garegga for £135. The most I've paid before is about £55, but I'm kinda tempted.

Garegga rocks but it's an acquired taste. Know that before doing anything drastic.

Rich!

Rich living up to that username! When that Everdrive arrives, make sure to join us for the monthly Genesis/Mega-Drive game club. We play awesome games, drink craft beers, and talk about how amazing Altered Beast is.

yess

I'm not in the exclusive mega everdrive club though

Galdelico

yamatoku on ebay is crack

CRACK

I NEED IT TO LIVE

What's up with them recently, though? Their feedback literally fell apart, and there's a constant flow of negative/neutral comments going on each month. I know they're pretty horrible at communications, but is it just because they don't combine shipping? Or did their service go lower standards?
I used to do massive shopping sessions there, when they still used to have a Buy Now option... Now, I don't know, I keep watching their items, never really feel brave enough to actually buy them, in the end.

Rich!

What's up with them recently, though? Their feedback literally fell apart, and there's a constant flow of negative/neutral comments going on each month. I know they're pretty horrible at communications, but is it just because they don't combine shipping? Or did their service go lower standards?
I used to do massive shopping sessions there, when they still used to have a Buy Now option... Now, I don't know, I keep watching their items, never really feel brave enough to actually buy them, in the end.

their shipping went through the roof, and they realised they could fleece people.

Retro gaming in Japan seems to have gotten quite expensive for importers. Likely because of importers.

Galdelico

Ha, that's the reason, then. Sounds kinda dodgy to me, but I guess most retrocolletors out there just don't mind.

I mean, their auctions usually end up on the bargain side of each single item's price tag, but when you're asked to pay 100+ euros for having 10 games shipped at you - not counting in the risk of getting some of your items taxed by the customs - I fail to see where's the big deal, honestly.

Retro gaming in Japan seems to have gotten quite expensive for importers. Likely because of importers.
Very true. That, and western eBayers selling straight from Japan.
Luckily, it's still possible to find smaller Japanese stores on eBay - people who aren't those big ass megamarkets that sell everything - which is a true pleasure to deal with. When there's some customer care going on, they're the absolute best in my opinion.

Khaz

Ha, that's the reason, then. Sounds kinda dodgy to me, but I guess most retrocolletors out there just don't mind.

I mean, their auctions usually end up on the bargain side of each single item's price tag, but when you're asked to pay 100+ euros for having 10 games shipped at you - not counting in the risk of getting some of your items taxed by the customs - I fail to see where's the big deal, honestly.

They didn't really increase their shipping price, but they removed the cheap untracked shipping options. Too many packages lost I suppose. But they do combine shipping: you either ask at the end of your shopping spree, or wait a day for them to send you an invoice.

This is what I got:

The House of The Dead Sega Saturn $9.00
Fighters Megamix Sega Saturn $2.25
Volume Controller(PS) $8.50
Egg of Yossie Famicom $1.00
Panzer Dragoon Sega Saturn $6.50
SuperGameBoy2 $6.30

Total 33,55 USD
Shipping : 20,00 USD

I could have had put a couple more CD games and the shipping would have stayed the same, but they didn't have anything interesting at the time. Also I wanted to get on with it and actually get the things I bought.

Galdelico

I wonder where the massive amount of complaints about outrageous shipping costs come from, then. 20 USD for that stack of games/items sounds super cheap to me.

anyone ever say fuck it and buy some holy grails?

cause I just said fuck it bought some holy grails
When I know I have the money to do so, I do it.
They surely aren't Eliminate Down-level of grails, but I've recently picked up Gleylancer and Goketsuji Ichizoku (Power Instinct) for the Mega Drive, along with Splatterhouse Part 3, all in mint conditions, and you know how much of a difference a registration card can make, with such titles.
I'm aiming to Vampire Killer, next.

Edit - If you don't mind me asking... What did you buy? :)

KC-Slater

anyone ever say fuck it and buy some holy grails?

cause I just said fuck it bought some holy grails

Dungeons & Dragons Collection for Saturn. I know it's not the best version of the game, but I've wanted it for ages, so I just pulled the trigger. Who needs to eat, anyway?

Sometimes the higher shipping from Yamatoku can be a turn off for buyers and you can get the occassional steal via a low auction price. I got an Ascii Stick II for Famicom for $26 that way. $15 of it was shipping. Those sticks usually go for $40 or $50 total.

Khaz

I wonder where the massive amount of complaints about outrageous shipping costs come from, then. 20 USD for that stack of games/items sounds super cheap to me.

It's outrageous because it's $14 for a single item. Imagine paying that price to ship a $1 famicom game :) Most of their auction end under $10, many have a single bidder for $1, so you need to stack quite a few of those to get a good shipping price relatively to the value of the items.

Even though $20 is a good shipping price for six items, it's still 40% of the total amount as shipping fees, which I do find a bit ridiculous.

Anth0ny

Edit - If you don't mind me asking... What did you buy? :)

I'll post pics of them as soon as I get them in my hands ;)

also the key is to buy enough things from yamatoku to make it a deal once you combine shipping. maybe one $3 famicom game with $14 shipping isn't a deal, but 3 or 4? bruhhhhh

Galdelico

It's outrageous because it's $14 for a single item. Imagine paying that price to ship a $1 famicom game :) Most of their auction end under $10, many have a single bidder for $1, so you need to stack quite a few of those to get a good shipping price relatively to the value of the items.

Even though $20 is a good shipping price for six items, it's still 40% of the total amount as shipping fees, which I do find a bit ridiculous.
Well, I guess having to deal with Italian posts/shipping costs on a regular basis puts those numbers under a whole different light, to me. :D

also the key is to buy enough things from yamatoku to make it a deal once you combine shipping. maybe one $3 famicom game with $14 shipping isn't a deal, but 3 or 4? bruhhhhh
Yeah, well, seems like I may give them another try, sooner or later. Maybe I focused too much on the negative feedbacks.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Mostly this!

Rich!

Everdrive MD on hold right now. Checked with the ebay seller, asked for photos of the pcb. fake. They were nice enough to cancel the purchase though.

Either way I'm off to the local market and car boot sale tomorrow morning. I'll try and snag as much retro junk as possible

Top Bottom