• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Rich!

I'll be getting a Sega Genesis Everdrive next year.

Get a Mega Everdrive if you can. I used to have one. No exaggeration, it's the best flashcard ever.

It has an in game menu and save states, instant game loading, micro sd and standard sd slots, USB, full 100% mega drive and master system compatibility of any ROM size, GYM and WAV playback, etc

Get a Mega Everdrive if you can. I used to have one. No exaggeration, it's the best flashcard ever.

It has an in game menu and save states, instant game loading, micro sd and standard sd slots, USB, full 100% mega drive and master system compatibility of any ROM size, GYM and WAV playback, etc

This sounds awesome.

Timu

...Damn.

Just be sure to get it from SAG if you're in the US.
That's where I got my N64 Everdrive from.

televator

Completely OT, but you guys know what is not a fun way to pass the time? Reassembling a Wii U. It's insane! Disassembly is cake, very straight forward... However exterior screws and some interior ones have very tight tolerance - the tightest of all consoles ever. So you can disassemble the Wii U, but good luck driving all the screws back in place. I gave up in the end and just found some regular miscellaneous screws I had and used them instead. lol

Rich!

Just purchased a megadrive controller for 99p that's a weird mix between a six button pad and a SNES controller (pretty certain its a SNES dpad clone to the extent I can put an official one in). Will be interesting to see how it is when I get back

DmvSzHQh.jpg

I may rewire it so that the shoulder buttons act as X and Y, because having them both set to MODE seems fucking stupid (I have a small push to make button I can wire as mode and place at the top next to the cable or at the top back middle). Other than that, the six face buttons and dpad seem great

Caught a local store slipping. Was up by grand rapids Michigan to take my daughter to the Dutch village.

tSOlbqEl.jpg

I don't think this is a really expensive longbox game but its one I didn't have and $4!

Also interesting to see visual concepts porting a neo geo game for electronic arts to publish.

Caught a local store slipping. Was up by grand rapids Michigan to take my daughter to the Dutch village.

tSOlbqEl.jpg

I don't think this is a really expensive longbox game but its one I didn't have and $4!

Also interesting to see visual concepts porting a neo geo game for electronic arts to publish.

I typically hate isometric games of any kind but I'd like to get this one. I always have an interest in launch window games, and this one was a bit of a visual showcase for the new PS1.

Rich!

Yessssssss this arrived today. I had a V1 ages ago but I forgot just how amazing it is. And V2 is fantastic.

Bye bye shitty n64 pads!

KMx4VFGh.jpg

Supports wavebird, reprogrammable configs, no lag whatsoever.

Raphnet of course. Took FOUR DAYS to get from Canada to the UK.

Galdelico

That Mega Drive-version looked really dark.

During the 'all versions running together' part, though, it looks like the more faithful to the arcade, at least to my eyes.

I've done that with Dreamcast over the last week. Probably dropped... $700?

After both my consoles died - almost a decade ago - I pretty much said bye to Dreamcast collecting. I kept all my games, but stopped caring about it completely. What are the DC crazy-expensive grails, today? Did you buy some limited edition unit, or are there games worth that much, nowadays?

televator

Epsxe is busted on my setup. I tried for hours to get it running, but all it would do is go to a black screen if I tried to load a game. Tried all the fixes to join avail. In comparison, I did a quick setup of PCSX-R and it loaded right away. How strange.

Edit: I found out that there's a version with perspective correction. Time follow another rabbit hole...

Jaeger

anyone ever say fuck it and buy some holy grails?

cause I just said fuck it bought some holy grails

What ya get? :) I do this myself on occasion. Just did it with one game and planning on doing it again soon with some others. Just need a few days then it's on.

Peltz

I swear, my priorities are out of whack. Part of me wants to drop like 700 dollars to a grand on an N64DD to play like... 1 game for a few days... but the other part wants to contribute that money to build a decent gaming PC that will give me countless hours of video game enjoyment for the next 5-6 years.

Somehow, the sheer novelty of owning another piece of Nintendo hardware that I'll rarely play is worth some insane premiums in my mind. I'd never do this for anything other than Nintendo's stuff, but here I am genuinely contemplating it like its a good idea.

Help.

Edit:
anyone ever say fuck it and buy some holy grails?

cause I just said fuck it bought some holy grails
Preach my brother, preach. I've been so good about saving money this year too... Rocket League has satiated my gaming needs almost exclusively as of late.

Anth0ny

I swear, my priorities are out of whack. Part of me wants to drop like 700 dollars to a grand on an N64DD to play like... 1 game for a few days... but the other part wants to contribute that money to build a decent gaming PC that will give me countless hours of video game enjoyment for the next 5-6 years.

Somehow, the sheer novelty of owning another piece of Nintendo hardware that I'll rarely play is worth some insane premiums in my mind. I'd never do this for anything other than Nintendo's stuff, but here I am genuinely contemplating it like its a good idea.

Help.

Edit:

Preach my brother, preach.

bruh

I just bought a 64DD for a stupid amount of money.

To play that F-Zero game that has a rad remix of the Rainbow Road music from Mario Kart 64.

Danchi

For anyone with an AV Famicom, how often do you usually have to insert the game before it will play?

When I was reading about the different models before I bought one, the general consensus seemed to be that the top-loading designs were way better than the toaster-style models for this issue. I realise that some of these games are over thirty years old, but in some cases it's taking like 10-15 attempts before that purple screen will go away.

I generally clean them with 70% isopropyl alcohol and a cue tip, but I'd love to hear some other suggestions. I don't know if we have an equivalent of Windex in the UK. Has anyone tried the stuff that Yamatoku-Classic has started selling?

I'm just wondering if this kind of experience is out of the ordinary? The pins inside the system look clean though.

Khaz

I'm just wondering if this kind of experience is out of the ordinary? The pins inside the system look clean though.

Clean more? If you can make it work once in a while, then the only problem is the contact between the cartridge and the system. The goo can be invisible to the naked eye, and the edge socket can be difficult to clean thoroughly. If you did all that and still have problems with loading games, then start checking the solder points on the socket. At the last resort, follow traces on both the cartridge and the console to make sure the chips at the end of the traces still have good solder. But that's unlikely.

IrishNinja

maaan i just wanted a 64 DD in the day because model 1 sega-CD's taught me stacking systems are just cooler
to this day i'd still love even a dead one just for the look. haha

does the ED have a system clock?

i wanna say no? the DD games are some form of conversion, i think

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For anyone with an AV Famicom, how often do you usually have to insert the game before it will play?

When I was reading about the different models before I bought one, the general consensus seemed to be that the top-loading designs were way better than the toaster-style models for this issue. I realise that some of these games are over thirty years old, but in some cases it's taking like 10-15 attempts before that purple screen will go away.

I generally clean them with 70% isopropyl alcohol and a cue tip, but I'd love to hear some other suggestions. I don't know if we have an equivalent of Windex in the UK. Has anyone tried the stuff that Yamatoku-Classic has started selling?

Mine works every time more or less, unless the cart is dirty, but then its working after some cleaning.

does the ED have a system clock?

yes it does.

http://krikzz.com/store/home/28-everdrive-64-v3.html

High compatibility. Near to 100% compatibility with n64 game library
64Mbyte (512mbit) SDRAM for ROM data (max ROM size 64Mbyte)
256Kbyte battery RAM (Save RAM)
RTC (real time clock)
Game pak saves does not require reset
SD and SDHC cards are supported
FAT16/FAT32 support. Unlimited partition size for FAT32
SD to SDRAM transfer speed up to 23 Mbyte/s
Emulation features
Gamepack saves support (SRAM, SRAM128Kbyte, EEPROM16k, EEPROM4k, FlashRam)
GameShark cheats
IPS/APS patches
CIC boot emulator. Enough to have CIC6102/CIC7101 to play any games
No extra software needed
USB port 800k - 1Mbyte/s. USB port useful for developers

I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure no. Hori made this to compete with SNK's own AES stick. I might pick up the Fighting Stick Neo II, as well, so I can do two player and compare.

IrishNinja

oh man, gunstar posted some really awesome arcade shots recently didn't he? forget the name of the spot but i'm almost certain it was chicago...he was just showing their classic sega coin-ops and those alone had me wanting to go out there!

Any recommendations for good 9v/10v, negative polarity, 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel power supplies these days? 850ma or more, to power Famicom, Turbografx, Genesis model 1? Looking for good quality replacements. One vintage one just gave out on me and I metered the other as putting out 14v and not doing that very stable.

Rich!

Any recommendations for good 9v/10v, negative polarity, 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel power supplies these days? 850ma or more, to power Famicom, Turbografx, Genesis model 1? Looking for good quality replacements. One vintage one just gave out on me and I metered the other as putting out 14v and not doing that very stable.

It's worth knowing that the mega drive 1 power supply is a beast and is suitable for a lot of devices. I have two - one for my SFC Jr and one for my megadrive.

Anth0ny

friends

I just put an offer out on THE DREAM ITEM

it would be the most money I've spent on a gaming related item by a considerable margin... but at the same time, I could die happy and probably retire from collecting games because nothing can top this.

majora's mask adventure set. you will be mine.

edit: aaaaaaaaaand offer rejected :(

koopas

During the 'all versions running together' part, though, it looks like the more faithful to the arcade, at least to my eyes.

After both my consoles died - almost a decade ago - I pretty much said bye to Dreamcast collecting. I kept all my games, but stopped caring about it completely. What are the DC crazy-expensive grails, today? Did you buy some limited edition unit, or are there games worth that much, nowadays?
I went around 500+ in for some DC Grails of mine. I'll be sure to post when they arrive :)

Top Bottom