• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just got to the bat boss in Y's... I'm considering starting the game over on easy.
tumblr_moxo3xBvxF1sq8thmo1_500.gif

You can do it! I completed the games on normal, but yeah, this boss was definitely a bitch. Awesome feeling when you finally makes it though.

Just got to the bat boss in Y's... I'm considering starting the game over on easy.

Which version of Ys 1 are you playing? If it's the Duo one, just level up a level or two and it'll make things easier. Though he wasn't too bad of a boss for an Ys game. You want to talk shitty annoying bosses in Ys games let's talk about the last 2 bosses of Ys IV Mask of the Sun. Motherfuckers, pure unadulterated mothergoddamnfuckers.

Galdelico

I went around 500+ in for some DC Grails of mine. I'll be sure to post when they arrive :)
Looking forward to drool on it. :D

Oh, and speaking of 'grails' - as in... Stuff you really want for your collection, do crazy things to actually find it, and pay more than enough money to be laughed at by most gamers out there - I've spent almost 80 euros in
registration cards

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246317

Woah...

CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

Like... WOAH!

Like....

4Yb4GL2.gif

I will likely buy this solely for the novelty. It will technically be the 6th NES system I own in my apartment (yikes).

I'm pretty happy with my AV Fami but I'm buying this too. Heck I'll buy a couple extra controllers for use with my Wii as well since they're only $10.

Edit: I kinda wonder how this works. If it's NoaC rather than emulation it'd be really neat.

Since it's first party, I hope the emulation is on-point. Would be amazing if it were 240p.

Either way, I'm in for a pad just for the novelty Classic Controller.

Peltz

Since it's first party, I hope the emulation is on-point. Would be amazing if it were 240p.

I don't see how it could be 240p over HDMI. It'd look shitty. And there's no analogue output as far as I know.

Anth0ny

The best thing about this is I'll be able to buy it for my younger cousins for Christmas. Easy and cheap.

Also, the packaging is fantastic. omg.

but as a fellow retro GAF nerd, deep down this kinda does little for me. i'm all about cartridges, playing on a CRT with the original hardware, and modding my console to display the best damn way possible on that CRT.

we are the 0.0000000000001%

Peltz

The best thing about this is I'll be able to buy it for my younger cousins for Christmas. Easy and cheap.

but as a fellow retro GAF nerd, deep down this kinda does little for me. i'm all about cartridges, playing on a CRT with the original hardware, and modding my console to display the best damn way possible on that CRT.

Yep. We are niche as fuck and, in truth, it's not worth it for Nintendo to care about us and the way we play.

Rich!

Get ready for the shitty 50hz VC versions if you buy a NES Mini in the UK/EU/AUS though

At least we can import it though.

gwailo

Banned
I am definitely getting that for my wife for Christmas. Dr Mario is her favorite game of all time.

Some of the articles about this are just inane

http://www.forbes.com/sites/curtiss...ush-our-little-nostalgic-skulls/#6769d2a71450

Here's some choice quotes

BUBBLE BOBBLE – Same here. I’m sure it’s about bubbles and bobbling them. I’m sure some of you loved this game because, bubbles!

Donkey Kong Jr. – A literal reproduction of the first.

GRADIUS – No memory of this game. I think Nintendo just made it up.

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream – Who the hell is Mr. Dream? Did Mike Tyson not want the royalty check from this one?

Aaaand the kicker

Frankly, nostalgia aside, they are all terrible games.

Morfeo

Im right here with you brother!

Olly88

I am definitely getting that for my wife for Christmas. Dr Mario is her favorite game of all time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/curtiss...ush-our-little-nostalgic-skulls/#6769d2a71450

BUBBLE BOBBLE – Same here. I’m sure it’s about bubbles and bobbling them. I’m sure some of you loved this game because, bubbles!

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream – Who the hell is Mr. Dream? Did Mike Tyson not want the royalty check from this one?

Aaaand the kicker

Haha, oh boy that's terrible.

televator

You can do it! I completed the games on normal, but yeah, this boss was definitely a bitch. Awesome feeling when you finally makes it though.
No, I really can't do it. I went 12 rounds with the guy and averaged ~3-4 hits. No way I'm winning here.
Which version of Ys 1 are you playing? If it's the Duo one, just level up a level or two and it'll make things easier. Though he wasn't too bad of a boss for an Ys game. You want to talk shitty annoying bosses in Ys games let's talk about the last 2 bosses of Ys IV Mask of the Sun. Motherfuckers, pure unadulterated mothergoddamnfuckers.

I have the PSP version and I'm fully leveled up with all silver gear. The way I hear it, a lot of these sort of games have had their difficulties fucked with by American translators anyway. I guess there was a reason that easy was actually the default setting for the game.

Anyway, I just restarted, and I'm catching up pretty quickly. I'm surprised by how short the game appears to be. I guess the difficulty spikes really were an artificial way of extending the game length.

When you open the lid...what's in there?

The lid looks like molded plastic and doesn't open. Hence the on board games.

IrishNinja

haha good luck m'man! i do the same sometimes

oh yeah, it's a cool gift idea but im definitely getting one of those $10 controllers

lMlj0Wm.gif

Aaaand the kicker

fuck this crap-ass article, Bubble Bobble is awesome! and not knowing Gradius...i mean, just hire someone else for this

Glowsquid

That writer is trying really hard to be Seanbaby and failing really hard at it.

though I find this reader comment far more offensive

UNFAIR SENSE OF REPLAYABILITY said:
Quality is not a democracy. Most games were made difficult because they lacked the space for content. As a result, they were designed unfair to create a sense of replayability. There’s no plot, rarely character development, and bad graphics.

And screw battletoads!

character development. this is why I play video games

StereoVsn

The Retron5 is an emulation box. A small computer running Android that dumps your cartridge and plays them in an
unlicensed
emulator. As such it has all the perks and problems of playing on an emulator instead of the real thing. It gets you a perfect audio and video quality, but may not play all the games and not perfectly. It can savestates but only a whitelist of official games are supported (modded / translated bootlegs and everdrives don't work).

I wouldn't go for one, personally, especially if your interest is in the NES alone. If you know that the fault is in the cartridge connector, I believe there are replacements for it. And if you dig picture quality, there are a couple of mods that can enhance the video output to make it look better on CRTs and modern displays.
So how well does it run now days? I love playing NES/SNES/Genesis and would love an option for GBC/GBA and really don't have the space for everything on my shelves (going to get backward compatible PS3 to get rid of PS2 even).

I have bunch of carts for all of the above systems. Would Retron run all the classics alright? Another consideration is to just build an emulation box from Gigabyte Brix or a NUC as I ripped a lot of cartridges a long time ago already and have couple friends with proper hardware still.

Edit: Plus I don't have a CRT anymore and Dreamcast will never be moved from the shelf :p. Still have all the consoles in the closet.

Aaaand the kicker

So this is where writers go that have moved on from Polygon. Smh

Aaaand the kicker

not knowing Gradius, smh....

But if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be where they are today :(

This is going to sell and make millions for them. You're never going to satisfy the retro crowd that makes up Retro gaf for example. Everyone wants something different. Basically the only way Nintendo is going to satisfy that is by making brand new AV Famicoms, with Kevtris' HDMI mod built in, component, s-video, and composite on the side, output every resolution from 240p - 1080p with the ability to scale it by perfect vertical scale, and have scanlines as an option every time, accept cartridges, original controllers, and add ons with PERFECT hardware compatibility. To sell a product that will sell in the thousands, at best and be more expensive than most people are going to be willing to spend.

Or they can put an inexpensive emulation machine into a shrunken NES box and make MILLIONS.

LewieP

I was browsing the Amazon UK warehouse section this morning (as I do every morning looking for deals on consoles for my website SavyGamer), and to my surprise I saw they had a listing for a single factory sealed Gameboy Color. It was only £50, and I figured it must be worth most than that, so immediately bought it, thinking I could decide what to do with it later. It's something I'd probably get some fun from, but I'm not really obsessive about collecting stuff, and I think it would be madness to open it up when I'd get just as much enjoyment from a used machine. I know there must be a collector out there who'd appreciate it more than me.

What do you think it's worth, and what would be the best way going about selling it? I saw eBay listings going for around $200, but I'm not sure if that's the best place to sell it. I'm not really in any rush to sell it, and I might end up keeping it for a while anyway.

Crazy to think that this has sat in a warehouse somewhere since around 2003 at the latest! Maybe since 1998!

I'd been mulling over getting a GB Micro, and if I can sell this at a decent price, I'll probably go ahead with that. Is there anywhere in particular I should look to get a decent deal on a GB Micro? Anything I should bear in mind when buying one?

Edit: This new mini NES is obviously a novelty product aimed at the Christmas market. It will serve that purpose well, and hopefully people get lots of enjoyment from it. If you are irritated by some of the limitations, you'd be better off looking at any of the wide range of alternatives out there.

KC-Slater

I was browsing the Amazon UK warehouse section this morning (as I do every morning looking for deals on consoles for my website SavyGamer), and to my surprise I saw they had a listing for a single factory sealed Gameboy Color. It was only £50, and I figured it must be worth most than that, so immediately bought it, thinking I could decide what to do with it later. It's something I'd probably get some fun from, but I'm not really obsessive about collecting stuff, and I think it would be madness to open it up when I'd get just as much enjoyment from a used machine. I know there must be a collector out there who'd appreciate it more than me.

What do you think it's worth, and what would be the best way going about selling it? I saw eBay listings going for around $200, but I'm not sure if that's the best place to sell it. I'm not really in any rush to sell it, and I might end up keeping it for a while anyway.

Crazy to think that this has sat in a warehouse somewhere since around 2003 at the latest! Maybe since 1998!

I'd been mulling over getting a GB Micro, and if I can sell this at a decent price, I'll probably go ahead with that. Is there anywhere in particular I should look to get a decent deal on a GB Micro? Anything I should bear in mind when buying one?

Edit: This new mini NES is obviously a novelty product aimed at the Christmas market. It will serve that purpose well, and hopefully people get lots of enjoyment from it. If you are irritated by some of the limitations, you'd be better off looking at any of the wide range of alternatives out there.

I bought a NIB Gameboy Pocket a couple years ago. I think there are a lot more out in the wild, still factory sealed, than people realize. Make sure you open up the box and toss the packed-in AA batteries. They've definitely expired/leaked.

Morfeo

This is going to sell and make millions for them. You're never going to satisfy the retro crowd that makes up Retro gaf for example. Everyone wants something different. Basically the only way Nintendo is going to satisfy that is by making brand new AV Famicoms, with Kevtris' HDMI mod built in, component, s-video, and composite on the side, output every resolution from 240p - 1080p with the ability to scale it by perfect vertical scale, and have scanlines as an option every time, accept cartridges, original controllers, and add ons with PERFECT hardware compatibility. To sell a product that will sell in the thousands, at best and be more expensive than most people are going to be willing to spend.

Or they can put an inexpensive emulation machine into a shrunken NES box and make MILLIONS.

Lol, this product sounds awesome. Nintendo needs to hire you!

Anth0ny

One of those holy grails I was talking about earlier arrived :)

My love of retro games and my love of Dragon Ball comes together for one of, if not the single most valuable piece of my collection thus far:

02828TZl.jpg

Dragon Ball: Dragon Daihikyou for the Super Cassette Vision is the FIRST Dragon Ball game ever released, back in 1986. This was the only DB game ever released that was not produced or distributed by Bandai.

It's complete in box and in fantastic condition. This thing is SUPER rare: barely ever pops up on Yahoo Auctions Japan, let alone ebay. I managed to get the best deal I could imagine on it when the British pound dropped faster than I could say "Trunks has blue hair".

Happy it's a part of my collection. Now I just need to track down a Super Cassette Vision so I can play the thing.

Mega

Banned
fuck this crap-ass article, Bubble Bobble is awesome! and not knowing Gradius...i mean, just hire someone else for this

That's not an article. It's someone's Forbes-hosted blog entry in the contributor section. No skill threshold to submit whatever the heck you want, no quality control... all quite evident at how crappy that blog post was.

Top Bottom