• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Rich!

I can't recommend the PSP's TV Out. It's kind of blah. SD resolution signal in a tiny window. I calculated it's using a meager 340 TVL of my monitor's 800, possibly not quite enough to resolve 480 pixels of PS2-level graphics. I dunno, I just wish the huge border were a toggle and I could run it full width 16:9 at least as my monitor is fully capable of it. It's ridiculous.

PC Engine Duo/Duo-R
AV Famicom
PlayStation 1
Wii (don't sleep on this, great library of lesser known titles and easy to softmod)

Oh yeah I already have a decked out Wii, forgot to mention that.

And a PS1. I forgot about that too haha

I can't recommend the PSP's TV Out. It's kind of blah. SD resolution signal in a tiny window. I calculated it's using a meager 340 TVL of my monitor's 800, possibly not quite enough to resolve 480 pixels of PS2-level graphics. I dunno, I just wish the huge border were a toggle and I could run it full width 16:9 at least as my monitor is fully capable of it. It's ridiculous.

PSP games on TV out, remind me of when games in the 90's had FMV scenes run on a small screen. I tried it once and haven't tried again. Although, I thought PSone games looked fine through the TV out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can get over the small window, but I've been wondering: does the PSP give you better video quality if you set it to interlaced, rather than progressive? I've only tried progressive, but it was unplayably awful. Blurrier than the worst composite output I've seen.

televator

PC Engine Duo/Duo-R
AV Famicom
PlayStation 1
Wii (don't sleep on this, great library of lesser known titles and easy to softmod)

PSP TV out is more manageable on the Framemeister using the component version of the cable. It still doesn't look great, but it's something. Sending audio out to my receiver really brought Ys' soundtrack to life as well.

Felt like playing something different today - so I've been playing the following:

Thunderbirds (Amiga). Had this game since ~1987 when I first got my Amiga and I've never finished it. So I've been playing it today and got as far as the end of level 3. However I've now hit a brick wall as it requires you to press a series of wall switches for both characters (6 buttons per person) to get into the bank vault. Due to the number of button combinations I've given up as I can't find the code online and I can't figure the code out on my own. Back to the drawing board on this game! (has anyone finished this game on the Amiga? Any help on this mission would be appreciated!)

I've also been playing the first ever Marvel/Spider Man game ever released - Spider-Man for the Atari 2600. I like it. Its simple but very addictive. The web swinging is well done for the time and I just had a real good time with the game. Definitely far from the worst Spidey game I've ever played that's for sure. I'm tempted to go through and try playing through the full list of Marvel games through the ages just for the heck of it (even with all the crap littered throughout the years) - Marvel games are sort of a guilty pleasure for me, I enjoy quite a few even if many of them aren't that great.

Galdelico

Latest retro pick-up:

GDarius_zpshgzhvjhr.png

Yep, I've already opened it. :p

Galdelico

Yeah, those Taito compilations on the PS2 are tempting... I've read they're not M2-level-of-quality products by any means, but still, they pack a terrific amount of games otherwise impossible to collect, or even play at home (unless through emulation).
I'm asking without having checked: any of those has Rastan Saga in?

Peltz

Man... what should I play today? I'm thinking either: Dreamcast, NES, SNES, or Gamecube. I've been neglecting each of those systems lately and want to dedicate the next few hours to one of them.

Fuck it. I'm playing Shenmue for the first time today. I picked up the EU version last summer after Shenmue 3 got announced and still have never played it.

Wish me luck!

Mega

Banned
^I played Sonic 1 to the end last night and it's as good as I remember. Really tired of the all recent threads basically saying classic Sonic wasn't good.

There was nothing wrong with the 16-bit era that it needed to be any different. This is generic modern pixel art, not 16 bit graphics. The animation is smoother thanks to the power of modern computers, but the art assets are inferior and simplistic compared to many 16-bit and even some 8-bit games. The action looks "cool" but it's incoherent and implausible. This could never be a real game.

dubc35

^I played Sonic 1 to the end last night and it's as good as I remember. Really tired of the all recent threads basically saying classic Sonic wasn't good
Seriously, what's the deal with all of them. Another one just this morning. I will have to play some sonic 1 today in spite of them! Ha

I played some of my old Castlevania SotN ps1 save last night. Actually somewhat surprised the ps1 worked. I don't think I have turned it on since about 2000. It looks so much better via S-video on a PVM compared to PS3 via HDMI on a plasma.

RexRogers

Neo Member
There was nothing wrong with the 16-bit era that it needed to be any different. This is generic modern pixel art, not 16 bit graphics. The animation is smoother thanks to the power of modern computers, but the art assets are inferior and simplistic compared to many 16-bit and even some 8-bit games. The action looks "cool" but it's incoherent and implausible. This could never be a real game.
I know. I love the 16-bit era. It was my time. The animation is impressive none the less. Pixel art of this high caliber is rare.

Seriously, what's the deal with all of them. Another one just this morning. I will have to play some sonic 1 today in spite of them! Ha

I played some of my old Castlevania SotN ps1 save last night. Actually somewhat surprised the ps1 worked. I don't think I have turned it on since about 2000. It looks so much better via S-video on a PVM compared to PS3 via HDMI on a plasma.

They've moved on from complaining about modern Sonic & they now need to go to the 16 bit era to get their thrills. These people must be in their late teens early 20's.

Rich!

oh fuck

I've encountered the inevitable

I'm running out of space on my entertainment unit. I can fit on the xrgb I just ordered and maybe a dreamcast, but nothing else. My PS1 is on a cabinet round the side, and my GC and Wii are disconnected:

I may need to get another entertainment unit, but I'm struggling to find one that's suitable. My surround sound centre speaker has had to be put into the shelf on the left, so maybe I could get a 1x1 pine cube to put the saturn into and put the speaker on top? hmmm

NDPsycho

Man... what should I play today? I'm thinking either: Dreamcast, NES, SNES, or Gamecube. I've been neglecting each of those systems lately and want to dedicate the next few hours to one of them.

Fuck it. I'm playing Shenmue for the first time today. I picked up the EU version last summer after Shenmue 3 got announced and still have never played it.

Wish me luck!

I'm curious to see how you feel about playing it the first time. I remember being blown away when it first came out, but I'm afraid to see how I would react to it today. At the time it was a pretty incredible experience, hadn't played anything like it.

The issue of space is something I'm sure we have all run into. Collection's grow constantly as do the amount of things you want to play them on. A good portion of what I own is currently in boxes even though I built my own shelving unit like 5 years ago. I'm still working on a setup to house all my retro systems and monitor/speakers.

Rich!

Pop that pink balloon on the left and put it there :). Also, is that a Hama scart switcher? If so, would you recommend it?

hell yes!!! it's a rock solid piece of kit. the only restriction is that there's only 3 sockets...but at £10 a piece, who cares?! There's no loss of quality from daisy chaining them. just gotta get some console logo stickers for the inputs!

and that balloon was from a meal I had out with my daughter earlier...she wont want it destroyed!

I just finished putting together my tv/game setup after a move. We have a huge basement now with lots of space for games. Bought a couple Ikea Billy shelves after seeing them recommended here... they're big and it's nice to just size all the shelves for DVDs cases, which works OK for DS/3DS and cartridges as well. I realized I had way more space than I needed though, I had some extra shelves even though I thought about getting more to add-in; I guess I don't have as many games as I thought.

I'll post a few photos after I get everything cleaned up around there.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

The recent Sonic-hate is annoying as fuck, those games were always awesome, and even the modern games are better than many people give them credit for.

Peltz

Poor one out for it :*(

I feel like buying a working Dreamcast is going to be tough with all the dead lasers out there. Any advice?

Edit:

The recent Sonic-hate is annoying as fuck, those games were always awesome, and even the modern games are better than many people give them credit for.

I honestly think some people just have poor taste and just like to hate cool games.

If I don't like a game, I can usually still appreciate it for what it is. Most people just post garbage about stuff they don't enjoy. I pay them no mind.

Sonic games, particularly those on Genesis, are extremely well crafted platformers.

^I played Sonic 1 to the end last night and it's as good as I remember. Really tired of the all recent threads basically saying classic Sonic wasn't good.

Agreed. Sonic 1 is honestly one of the best platformers I've ever played. It's probably even better than the other installments that followed it on the Genesis. People are totally misremembering it and would be surprised at how well it holds up today if they were to try playing through it.

Danny Dudekisser

Well, Sonic 1 was the only one that didn't feel overly fast. There was way more of an emphasis on precision platforming than running from left to right. There's definitely an appeal to that.

Mega

Banned
They've moved on from complaining about modern Sonic & they now need to go to the 16 bit era to get their thrills. These people must be in their late teens early 20's.

I'm also seeing more and more negative opinions that Super Mario World was nothing special and had both bland graphics and gameplay. This about the best platformer of its time and one of the best games ever. I'm flabbergasted. You do have outliers of gamers who never really like the game or series, but I have a feeling age plays a bigger factor, since my kid-aged cousins and nephews exhibit an exaggerated version of what I'm seeing on GAF. They can play new Sonic and Mario but get frustrated with the old games. They are impatient with 8 and 16 bit games and give up in an instant, refusing to ever play again. One is quick to call BORING anything that's challenging or doesn't grab his interest within a minute.

But kids are kids and they will prefer their Minecraft or mobile games. That's fine with me. I'm not one to ever force them to play or enjoy something, but I have always been appreciative and not dismissive of what came before even if it's not for me. Stuff like Colecovision, Atari 2600, C64, etc. Gaffers being revisionist and trashing classic Sonic like it was never a huge, important and great series is just so senseless.

Within the 2020s if not sooner, we will have more young Gaffers on the forum coming of age and posting threads that Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, etc are not very good games. I have already seen Gaffers young enough to completely dismiss the entire NES library.

"There hasn't been a good Sonic game since Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles." <-- These people deserve as much ridicule as Pokemon Genwunners. Seriously, fuck these people.

Danny Dudekisser

Eh, kids will come around eventually. It's like how, when you're a kid, you don't want to listen to music or watch movies that are more than 5 years old... and then you eventually realize you're an idiot, and can appreciate stuff that wasn't from your era. It's no doubt the same way with games.

But I will take precisely no guff from some twatty 13 year old who thinks Chrono Trigger sucks.

Peltz

I'm also seeing more and more negative opinions that Super Mario World was nothing special and had both bland graphics and gameplay. This about the best platformer of its time and one of the best games ever. I'm flabbergasted. You do have outliers of gamers who never really like the game or series, but I have a feeling age plays a bigger factor, since my kid-aged cousins and nephews exhibit an exaggerated version of what I'm seeing on GAF. They can play new Sonic and Mario but get frustrated with the old games. They are impatient with 8 and 16 bit games and give up in an instant, refusing to ever play again. One is quick to call BORING anything that's challenging or doesn't grab his interest within a minute.

But kids are kids and they will prefer their Minecraft or mobile games. That's fine with me. I'm not one to ever force them to play or enjoy something, but I have always been appreciative and not dismissive of what came before even if it's not for me. Stuff like Colecovision, Atari 2600, C64, etc. Gaffers being revisionist and trashing classic Sonic like it was never a huge, important and great series is just so senseless.

Within the 2020s if not sooner, we will have more young Gaffers on the forum coming of age and posting threads that Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, etc are not very good games. I have already seen Gaffers young enough to completely dismiss the entire NES library.

"There hasn't been a good Sonic game since Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles." <-- These people deserve as much ridicule as Pokemon Genwunners. Seriously, fuck these people.
Don't worry guys.I'll always be here keeping it real and appreciating good games regardless of their age, resolution, frame rate, hardware, or control scheme.

I can kinda relate, cause I really can't appreciate most pre-NES stuff. Classic arcade games, their ports and derivatives on 2600, Coleco, etc, and most 8-bit computer games (even if I think the computers themselves are cool) really overwealmingly seem like junk to me with few exceptions. Super Mario Bros really changed the way games were made from that point on.

But yeah. I don't get thinking a modern sidescroller is great and not liking old Mario games, especially when Mario World is so sublime. Maybe if all you play is Calladooty and you just don't like sidescrollers that's one thing, but I don't like FPSes and I do my best just not to talk about them at all.

The Minecraft and Mobile thing is a whole 'nother problem. There is an entire generation of kids that will just never be into the kind of games we are because of this. These people can barely fathom paying for games, let alone playing the kind of experiences we like.

Glowsquid

A week ago I remember a guy having a meltdown and ranting about how "NeoGaf hates platformers" and while I found the statement odd, it's kinda weird how whenever there's a thread about a platforming series that's not Mario, there will always be ton of people making dimissive shitposts no matter how commercially and critically successful the game/series in question is

though I dislike most of the Sonic series beside S3&K and I suspect I'm far younger than the average retro thread poster, so

televator

I was never a big 2D Mario fan. Probably mostly because I suck at them. I did like Yoshi's Island though and I have a lot of fun playing that. Not generally liking 2D Mario games is what lead me into being a big fan of 2D Sonic though.

I never liked the Adventure games. I beat Adventure 1 and it did have some great moments, but the Big sections were awful and the platforming was frustrating. Then things seemed to go downhill for Sonic since for a long while. More recently, Sonic has had some decent games, but not enough to really get me back into being a legit fan. Sonic Mania has piqued my interest quite a bit because I fucking love 2D sonic to begin with. lol Even though I would have ideally liked a follow up to S3&K for a return of Mecha Sonic, and I prefer the music and visuals of it over Sonic CD.

I'm glad I have such an open mind when it comes to retro stuff. I love trying older games that I've not had the pleasure of playing on release - the recent Rare replay collection was a real eye opener in that regard - as I fell in love with many of their Spectrum and NES releases I'd not played before. Only game I legitimately could not warm to that is highly praised was Sabrewulf. I just didn't like the combat and hated the huge open world (navigating it was a pain and so was trying to find all the pieces of the artefact)

I'm looking forward to Sonic Mania, it looks great so far and I'm hoping the level design ends up excellent, as the reason why I don't play many Mega Man fan games (for example) is that the level design often just feels cheap and boring compared to the real thing. If these guys avoid that one issue, I'm sure I'll love it (and from what I've seen so far, I'm really hyped).

Oh, and slight backlog update. I finally figured out Thunderbirds so I finished it this morning (yay!) so that's the oldest game removed from my backlog pile. 1 down, so many to go...

Danny Dudekisser

I can kinda relate, cause I really can't appreciate most pre-NES stuff. Classic arcade games, their ports and derivatives on 2600, Coleco, etc, and most 8-bit computer games (even if I think the computers themselves are cool) really overwealmingly seem like junk to me with few exceptions. Super Mario Bros really changed the way games were made from that point on.

I would agree with that. I have never found the pre-NES stuff enjoyable. Too basic, too clunky.

I also have a really tough time with older PC games, despite that I played a lot of those games as a kid. EGA? CGA? I want nothing to do with it. I've come to acknowledge that most pre-1995 PC gaming was needlessly complicated, had terrible art, and just wasn't particularly fun. There are exceptions, obviously, but it's generally an era I think is better left as a memory.

Rich!

I grew up with the BBC Micro, acorn archimedes and 5200 alongside the SNES and gameboy, so I'm alright with that side of things

I also exclusively played freeware dos games when I got my first PC for a while, so I have a bit of nostalgia for that too

Peltz

Reluctantly crossposting:

Okay. I decided to go out and purchase another Dreamcast today at a local retro store for a disgusting premium. But damnit I want to play this thing today.

They tested two systems that had issue before we finally found a third one that works 0_0

Apparently, Dreamcasts are just dying left and right around me today. I'm in the cab on the way home now. Hopefully the one I bought pulls through.

I said I'm starting Shenmue today, and I really intend to make this happen.

Edit: Update.. the new Dreamcast works.... but now my Toro died on me!
giphy.gif

When things break on me like this, it becomes really difficult to enjoy this hobby :-(

Gaf... today suckeddd.

televator

How the hell??? That's insane!!!

Yeah it turns out that the boxes can be a bit finicky. I learned that just recently. Getting my Hanzo to power up recently took some work and I only used it once like a year ago.

Peltz, try to wiggle the connector around and really jam it in there. Try it while using some contact cleaner too or alcohol. It looks like it has trouble making contact with the voltage pin sometimes.

BTails

Ugh, I wish Dreamcasts were more reliable. Mine died too about a month ago. I'd replace it, but honestly I'm worried about the replacement dying too.

My Toro was reluctant to work originally, until I forcefully jammed it into the back of the Dreamcast. Maybe your Hanzo is the same?

Sorry for your loss, Peltz.

Galdelico

Ugh, I wish Dreamcasts were more reliable. Mine died too about a month ago. I'd replace it, but honestly I'm worried about the replacement dying too.
I'm on the same boat... Since a decade now.
I had two Dreamcast units, a Japanese console (one of those with the white box and the Dream Passport 3) and a PAL one, both purchased brand new and used with maximum care. They literally died on me in two days, first the PAL system, then the Japanese one the day after. I've kept my DC games collection since then, but every single time I stumble upon a Dreamcast in nice conditions, and I feel like I wanna buy it... :(

Mega

Banned

I tend to think if I were born 10 years earlier I'd have been into the pre-NES consoles or if I had grown up across the pond I would have happily owned a ZX Spectrum or SMS. Recognizing it's not for you without saying it must be a shit game is something lots of people can't seem to do. I'm not particularly fond of the Dark Souls, SMT/Persona, and Monster Hunter series, but the games have merits for plenty of other people and I respect what they're trying to do. What we're seeing instead is peeps equating classic, quality stuff with trash because they don't get it.

I tend to think if I were born 10 years earlier I'd have been into the pre-NES consoles or if I had grown up across the pond I would have happily owned a ZX Spectrum or SMS. Recognizing it's not for you without saying it must be a shit game is something lots of people can't seem to do. I'm not particularly fond of the Dark Souls, SMT/Persona, and Monster Hunter series, but the games have merits for plenty of other people and I respect what they're trying to do. What we're seeing instead is peeps equating classic, quality stuff with trash because they don't get it.

Eh. I was born in the 70's and played with the 2600, Collecovision and owned an Intellivision and a Vectrex. While I would like to grab a Vectrex, really for show the rest is forgettable for me. I have no attachment to anything before the NES.

dubc35

My only gaming prior to NES back in the day was mainly Sierra PC stuff: Space Quest, Kings Quest III, and Police Quest. Thexder is the only outlier I think. Fuck Thexder.

Khaz

I grew up with a Master System and only got a 2600 a couple of years ago, but I'm really enjoying the quality games on it. Most are of the arcade genre, the kind you pick up and play for a few minutes to beat a high score. When the game is well done, the visuals are simple yet efficient, and the gameplay is solid, easy to learn but hard to master without being unfair.

BTails

My only gaming prior to NES back in the day was mainly Sierra PC stuff: Space Quest, Kings Quest III, and Police Quest. Thexder is the only outlier I think. Fuck Thexder.

Sierra games were my jam (see avatar). They helped teach me to read way back! I was born a bit too late to be really fond of the NES while it was contemporary (born in 87, so I was just starting to get into gaming as 16-Bit took hold), but I still really enjoyed the NES and got a lot of use out of it.

Funny enough, the age of computer games never seemed to be a big issue to me. Growing up, we always has a pretty top of the line PC, but I also had an old Apple IIgs in my bedroom which got a TON of use. So old PC games like Ultima, Bard's Tale, and of course many many Adventure Games were all, and still are, very playable to me.

I grew up with a Master System and only got a 2600 a couple of years ago, but I'm really enjoying the quality games on it. Most are of the arcade genre, the kind you pick up and play for a few minutes to beat a high score. When the game is well done, the visuals are simple yet efficient, and the gameplay is solid, easy to learn but hard to master without being unfair.
Curious, what are some of the games you've played and enjoyed?

Khaz

Curious, what are some of the games you've played and enjoyed?

Of those I own,

Enduro
Juno First
Lead
Medieval mayhem (with 3 friends)
Secret quest (not an arcade game this one)
Revenge of the beefsteak tomatoes
Star wars the empire strikes back
Star master

I have a bunch more in my wishlist, but I haven't spent serious time with them. Stuff like spider fighter, yar's revenge, river raid should be cool.

I spent a stupid amount of time on Juno first, the game is really addictive and its gameplay is top notch.

Top Bottom