• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Glowsquid

1 is my favourite in the series. I think it has the strongest aesthetic, best levels and it has more background interactivity than any of the sequels. I feel the sequels added a lot of weapons and vehicles, that while "funny" and "cool" in concept, aren't very useful or fun to use in practice.

4 gets a lot of shit, but I think it's actually quite good. Sure, it frakensteinize and recycle sprites like a motherfucker (the best example being stage 2, which stich together the backgrounds of three separate stages from MS1 and one stage from MS3, Human Centipede-style), but the level design and boss battles are... pretty good, actually? A lot of the new additions (dual-machine guns, riddable enemy vehicles, monkey transformation, vehicle damage actually varying based on the enemy attack) are also genuinely good - sure the first three I mentioned are probably born out of the desire to Recycle More Sprites, but they're ultimately fun and useful additions, and I think that's what matter.

5 made a valliant effort to create a set of new sprites, but it was rushed, and it shows. Levels have strange choices (like in level 2, you get a slug at the start of the level only to ditch it immediatly after, and later in that level, there's a very obvious alternate path you can't take, etc). Still, I like the new graphics, the soundtrack, and the mech Slug is a pretty good new vehicle. I like it.

6 is my least-favourite favourite Metal Slug and the one in the series I genuinely dislike. I felt the new alien enemies were tedious to fight, I didn't like the greatly reduced ammo for weapons, the washed-out backgrounds and the obnoxious scoring system that showers the screen in coins that obscure objects and enemy projectiles.

7 fixed my complaint about ammo, but the backgrounds now looked like poorly-compressed jpegs. It's been too long since I've played it to give a coherent opinion though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
6 is my least-favourite favourite Metal Slug and the one in the series I genuinely dislike. I felt the new alien enemies were tedious to fight, I didn't like the greatly reduced ammo for weapons, the washed-out backgrounds and the obnoxious scoring system that showers the screen in coins that obscure objects and enemy projectiles.

Yeah, the game felt very... subdued when I played it. Like, everything was too dark, the music was crappy, and I didn't like the new sound effects. It just lacked the impact I expect from a Metal Slug game.

Peltz

Yeah, the game felt very... subdued when I played it. Like, everything was too dark, the music was crappy, and I didn't like the new sound effects. It just lacked the impact I expect from a Metal Slug game.
I'd love to play it on original hardware. It's possible that Atomiswave emulation just isn't there yet.

I forget which gaffer, but someone here once posted that they had the actual game hooked up via super gun or something similar.

Danny Dudekisser

I'd love to play it on original hardware. It's possible that Atomiswave emulation just isn't there yet.

I forget which gaffer, but someone here once posted that they had the actual game hooked up via super gun or something similar.

I played the PS2 port, which was apparently better than the Atomiswave version. Still not a great experience.

Danny Dudekisser

See, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do have my doubts about this because of SNK's track record with ports.

Yeah, it's possible.

I'm most familiar with their KOF XI port, which came out a little after MS6 (MS was Feb 2006, KOF was June 2006, IIRC). That one was miles better than the Atomiswave release, in every regard. Even the load times were way better. And they added like a dozen characters, a 1.1 mode, etc.

So at least at some point, they kinda figured out what they were doing.

See, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do have my doubts about this because of SNK's track record with ports.

Hmmm, now that I read this, it makes me think.

KoF 2000 feels extremely "heavy" (sluggish? Laggy?) on both my PS2 and Dreamcast copies. At first I thought it was me, but I think those ports might be legitimately hosed.

I've never played it on MVS or AES so I don't have the original reference point.

Also I had to sell my copies of Saturn KoF 96 and KoF 97. The loading, especially in 97, was obnoxious. Which I couldn't understand since Capcom was pumping out Vampire Savior, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and Zero 3 with minimal loading, right around the same time.

Danny Dudekisser

Hmmm, now that I read this, it makes me think.

KoF 2000 feels extremely "heavy" (sluggish? Laggy?) on both my PS2 and Dreamcast copies. At first I thought it was me, but I think those ports might be legitimately hosed.

I've never played it on MVS or AES so I don't have the original reference point.

Also I had to sell my copies of Saturn KoF 96 and KoF 97. The loading, especially in 97, was obnoxious. Which I couldn't understand since Capcom was pumping out Vampire Savior, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and Zero 3 with minimal loading, right around the same time.

I've heard bad things about the PS2 ports for the older KOF games, but the Dreamcast versions of 99 and 2000, at least, are supposed to be rock solid. First I've heard about them feeling sluggish.

leroidys

Metal Slug 2nd Mission (NGPC) is fantastic. Not quite as great as 1-3, but, especially for the time, a great handheld adaption of the series. Spent a lot of time tracking down every single PoW in that game.

I mean... Nothing is Metal Slug. Some Metal Slugs ain't even Metal Slug.

i feel like you're into Metal Slug... hmm i can't figure out why yet but i have this inkling you're a big Metal Slug fan =P

finally got this and wanted to double post it here bc i'm so happy to finally get it:
WCueGgT.jpg

Hawk269

i feel like you're into Metal Slug... hmm i can't figure out why yet but i have this inkling you're a big Metal Slug fan =P

finally got this and wanted to double post it here bc i'm so happy to finally get it:

Great find in getting Miracle Warriors. It is just a fantastic game along with the original Phantasy Star.

Galdelico

I've heard bad things about the PS2 ports for the older KOF games, but the Dreamcast versions of 99 and 2000, at least, are supposed to be rock solid. First I've heard about them feeling sluggish.

The Orochi and Nests compilations - at least the Japanese versions, those that were part of the Neo Geo Online Collection - should be fine though (they're all arcade emulation, plus the latter also includes the DC version of 99).

Peltz

Crossposting:

So, this just happened:

13344664_10101447668687250_1235365004924765385_n.jpg

No big deal.

I acquired my personal holy grails this week. I've wanted to own the Metal Slug games on MVS ever since they came out. It feels so good because I finally accomplished that goal yesterday.

I'll eventually pick up 4 and 5, and attempt to acquire 6 on Atomiswave as well.

But the ones pictured are the games that truly matter to me most. The teenager in me is smiling so hard right now :)

I acquired my personal holy grails this week. I've wanted to own the Metal Slug games on MVS ever since they came out. It feels so good because I finally accomplished that goal yesterday.

I'll eventually pick up 4 and 5, and attempt to acquire 6 on Atomiswave as well.

But the ones pictured are the games that truly matter to me most. The teenager in me is smiling so hard right now :)

Congrats!! That's got to feel good.

NDPsycho

Crossposting:

Congrats! The teenager in me is so damn jealous right now...grown man is too.

Peltz

That NX news, yo.

I'm so in... Local multiplayer gaming in Central Park, Pokemon on my big screen, Zelda:BotW everywhere.. Carts.

Dat new hardware smell

Any retro gaffers have strong opinions about it either way?

Timu

That NX news, yo.

I'm so in... Local multiplayer gaming in Central Park, Pokemon on my big screen, Zelda:BotW everywhere...

Dat new hardware smell
The cartridge news surprised me, shame about the lack of BC but hey, it's best to keep the original hardware.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am all over that NX news if its legit, but then again, Nintendo is basically the only non-retro gaming I am interested in. Lol at all the people expecting Nintendo to have any chance competing with a beast of a system.

Mega

Banned
That NX news, yo.

I'm so in... Local multiplayer gaming in Central Park, Pokemon on my big screen, Zelda:BotW everywhere.. Carts.

Dat new hardware smell

I think it's a good move. The unified library will effectively put an end to software droughts with or without third party support. The end of really weak, low-res Nintendo handhelds with smaller budget versions of big name titles will come to an end. Cartridges will make a return, hopefully with tons of storage, solid cases and nice manuals.

I understand there's no BC but I'm hoping this is the start of a Steam-like account system with no more need to re-purchase retail and VC games for each system. Plus permanent BC going forward, not just one generation back only.

I'm more optimistic that it will have a nice HD screen now that it is reportedly a single device. Before I thought it would be downscaled graphics on a 480p or 540p handheld that syncs save data with the full 1080p console when you arrive home.

The TV out is exciting for me because I have an excellent HDMI-to-RGB/Component converter and could possibly play on a CRT if I wanted. Maybe it won't look as good as the HDTV it's intended for, but it will be fun to try.

I really hope they don't screw this up.

Danny Dudekisser

That NX news, yo.

Dat new hardware smell

I just hope it doesn't look like butt on a TV.

I'm glad the 3DS' shitty hardware is on its way out. I think cartridges are cool. I like Nintendo games, and don't particularly care if I can't play the newest POS from Ubisoft or EA on there.

So as long as it looks good on a TV, I'm cool with it. Because I ain't never going to use it as a portable.

I think it's a good move. The unified library will effectively put an end to software droughts with or without third party support. The end of really weak, low-res Nintendo handhelds with smaller budget versions of big name titles will come to an end. Cartridges will make a return, hopefully with tons of storage, solid cases and nice manuals.

A lot of people like to complain about low budget handheld franchise games but these have seriously been some of my favorite games ever. I don't think A Link Between Worlds would exist if it weren't for this.

I also worry in general that the push towards a unified platform will do away with the last bastion of AA games. If every game on NX is big big big, will there be room for a new Ace Attorney or Etrian Odyssey? If every Nintendo published game is huge scale like Breath of the Wild, with there be room for Triforce Heroes?

Danny Dudekisser

A lot of people like to complain about low budget handheld franchise games but these have seriously been some of my favorite games ever. I don't think A Link Between Worlds would exist if it weren't for this.

I also worry in general that the push towards a unified platform will do away with the last bastion of AA games. If every game on NX is big big big, will there be room for a new Ace Attorney or Etrian Odyssey? If every Nintendo published game is huge scale like Breath of the Wild, with there be room for Triforce Heroes?

I suspect there would be room for A Link Between Worlds, but not Triforce Heroes.

At least, I would hope so. What a huge gulf between those two titles.

Mega

Banned
Do you have any more information on this?

I have a HDFury IV converter. HDMI In, dipswitch between RGB or Component out using the VGA Out connection. I connect the converter to my HD CRT with a VGA-to-BNC cable and can switch between 480p, 720p, 1080i. There's 1080p passthrough so no up/down rezzing if that's all you need, but my CRT doesn't support 1080p.

I used my HDMI N64 this way for a while, line doubled 480p. Just for the hell of it to see how it compared to regular 240p RGB. Some games like Hydro Thunder and Doom 64 looked really nice.

I consider Captain Toad, NSMB Wii U and Super Luigi to be AA/mid tier releases, so I'm not too worried that we will never have games like ALBW again. I feel this will free up more money and resources for Nintendo and second/third party support to do everything they want on one software platform.

IrishNinja

never even seen that map, so cool! damn near beat it without it, but i can imagine it'd be helpful...congrats man!

That NX news, yo.

Dat new hardware smell

excited, but i need to know about how it does 240p

Peltz

I feel you on this one, Mega. I love Nintendo games and all this means is that I only need to buy one piece of hardware to play all of them for the next few years.

Really, not much else changes (unless there's something major about the controllers we don't know about it).

Mega

Banned
I noticed that thread too. It's to be expected at this point with the recent Mania reveal and you will probably see at least one every week. I'm done participating in them!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, I stay away to. Which I do from most of gaf outside retrogaf really. Its their loss if they dont like great games.

BTails

Super Mario World sucks... Sonic sucks... Pretty soon people are gonna start saying Link to the Past and Super Metroid suck! Sigh...

gelf

I can't stand the binary way so many look at things. Everything is either flawless or terrible with no middle ground and there's certainly no room for maturely thinking "this just isn't for me". No you have to tell anyone who likes the thing that they're wrong.

I suspect there would be room for A Link Between Worlds, but not Triforce Heroes.

At least, I would hope so. What a huge gulf between those two titles.

Maybe, but on a home console ALBW starts to look like a $15 downloadable title rather than a $40 release, and that might be enough to not greenlight that kind of thing anymore. NX being in between who knows but kinda worries me.

I consider Captain Toad, NSMB Wii U and Super Luigi to be AA/mid tier releases, so I'm not too worried that we will never have games like ALBW again.

Yeah these were really great lower budget titles, especially NSLU. We'll see.

Teknoman

I dunno how I feel about the NX news. I mean, cartridges are awesome, but will they actually be like the DS/Vita cards, or actual substantial things? Also does that mean we'll just get another Nintendo system that has awesome Nintendo stuff, some nice Japanese exclusives, but not much in the way from the West?

Pokemon main series game being made with console power in mind is nice and all, but someone said it best when in another thread. Its kinda just like having a next gen Game Boy Player of sorts.

Mega

Banned
Same as we have the 3D Mario and NSMB games, I could see SNES-style overhead (2.5D?) Zelda releases in between the TPs, WWs and BotW type games. An NX title would need no reason to look as bad as ALBW did, what with all that additional processing power. Again using Toad as an example, it was semi budget priced and arguably better looking at times than a full price title like 3D World.

Not that I think ALBW is horrible looking by the way... but yeah, it's not great for a big HDTV. It just needs a prettier engine... or maybe not. There was a thread about a 3DS emulator with high res rendering. Some 3DS games look surprisingly amazing when not confined to a crappy 240p screen. Lots of clean, crisp detail that was hidden coming out. Some speculated this was future proofing for ports and sequels on later consoles. HD NX ports of 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and Pokemon will look amazing.

Are these sony PVM monitors worth the hype? Bidding on a 20" right now...

Yes but there are cheaper alternatives that are about as good. They're getting kind of crazy price wise these days.

televator

I dunno how I feel about the NX news. I mean, cartridges are awesome, but will they actually be like the DS/Vita cards, or actual substantial things? Also does that mean we'll just get another Nintendo system that has awesome Nintendo stuff, some nice Japanese exclusives, but not much in the way from the West?

Pokemon main series game being made with console power in mind is nice and all, but someone said it best when in another thread. Its kinda just like having a next gen Game Boy Player of sorts.

I think it's a guarantee that the "carts" will just be proprietary flash carts like DS and Vita. It saves on material and manufacturing expenses to stick close with that form factor. My concern with this kind of media is that if it's anything like solid state drives, it would degrade relatively rapidly compared to ROM carts or even discs.

Peltz

Cross posting from the Neo Geo Giga Powered thread.

Due to poor ebaying skills, it looks like I am about to own two fairly pristine hologram-label copies of Metal Slug 3 on NEO GEO MVS.

I'm looking to trade it for something with a fellow Gaffer or sell it to a big MS fan for less than I paid. I'm not trying to recoup all my money, and would rather maje sure it gets a good home.

I'm only looking to get at least *something* for it. Send me a pm if you're interested.

These people creating these Sonic sucks threads need to be tarred and feathered.

On the NX news, I hope the detachable controllers aren't too small and the battery life is longer than 3 hours.

Top Bottom