• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Parsnip

Nah, it only affects the stick. For the most precise mouse input, you can switch to absolute Mouse/pointer mode in the core options, then hit F to run in a window. That way you can control the touchscreen with your desktop cursor. This only works with screen layouts that display both screens at the same time.

Shame. I'll just deal with it. Quicksave before drawing a seal never fails.

Dina

I'm getting kinda frustrated with Retroarch. No matter what I do, I run into the same errors.

- My standard non-core config isn't being saved correctly. Or at least it's not being loaded properly when I boot Retroarch again.
- When I rebind keys (for example the B key on my DS4 controller), Retroarch has a tendency to freeze.
- Core-specific configs are enabled, but again this doesn't work properly. It always loads the last core's configs, no matter what you've currently selected. This means that I can't set a folder where the program looks for games, I need to navigate to it automatically.
- If I load a core, the core-specific config isn't being loaded, or so I'm led to believe as the config in the main menu isn't being changed.

I don't know much about binding keys or options via the config, as the configs themselves are kind of a giant mess.

Reinstalling doesn't help much, it keeps throwing up these weird errors. Anyway has the same issues that I face?

Dina

Are you using core-specific configs or core overrides?

I haven't enabled core overrides, this is turned off by default and I left it there. Core-specific configs are also turned off by default, but this is something that I have turned on. Now there is very little core-specific that I want to config, really just the game folder and maybe the shader.

I really haven't tinkered with the configs much, to be honest (core-specific configs OR standard nocore configs). Simple stuff, like pointing it to the bios/system folder, fullscreen, change controller inputs, etc.

I just did a clean install with the latest nightly and now if I save state in bnes/acuracy it kills the sound until I quit the application and restart it. It doesn't happen in the Genesis core and I can't test it with N64 since it just crashes.

Parsnip

I'm getting kinda frustrated with Retroarch. No matter what I do, I run into the same errors.

- My standard non-core config isn't being saved correctly. Or at least it's not being loaded properly when I boot Retroarch again.
- When I rebind keys (for example the B key on my DS4 controller), Retroarch has a tendency to freeze.
- Core-specific configs are enabled, but again this doesn't work properly. It always loads the last core's configs, no matter what you've currently selected. This means that I can't set a folder where the program looks for games, I need to navigate to it automatically.
- If I load a core, the core-specific config isn't being loaded, or so I'm led to believe as the config in the main menu isn't being changed.

I don't know much about binding keys or options via the config, as the configs themselves are kind of a giant mess.

Reinstalling doesn't help much, it keeps throwing up these weird errors. Anyway has the same issues that I face?

I'm curious, where is RetroArch located and which Windows are you running?

I haven't enabled core overrides, this is turned off by default and I left it there. Core-specific configs are also turned off by default, but this is something that I have turned on. Now there is very little core-specific that I want to config, really just the game folder and maybe the shader.

Okay, you want to turn off core-specific configs and turn on overrides, in that case, because that feature's what's giving you trouble (and the overrides are pretty much a strictly better way to get what you want.) Assemble the base settings you want with no core loaded and Autosave Config turned on, quit the app, then hand-write your override files; you should be all set from there.

Dina

I'm curious, where is RetroArch located and which Windows are you running?

Windows 8.1. RetroArch is on my E: drive (games drive).

Okay, you want to turn off core-specific configs and turn on overrides, in that case, because that feature's what's giving you trouble (and the overrides are pretty much a strictly better way to get what you want.) Assemble the base settings you want with no core loaded and Autosave Config turned on, quit the app, then hand-write your override files; you should be all set from there.

Alright, let me reinstall Retroarch again and see if that works. But what do you mean by hand-writing it? Opening the configs of the cores I want to use and edit those?

-

edit: been reading some more, but I kinda don't understand how to create overrides (also, googling Retroarch override doesn't provide much info). What should I be putting in these override files? Should I be putting them in config/SNES/ or in config/Snes9x/? What about the config naming convention themselves?

Currently I have picked my standard, edited main config and pasted them in the config folder with the emulator names attached to them (snes9x_next_libretro.cfg), but I don't think that did it.

- edit2: another config another problem, now the program doesn't react on keypresses like f1 and escape when I play a game...

Tim-E

I'm ready to pull my hair out at getting PS1 games to work. I've verified the MD5 sum in the BIN files, things are in the proper directories, Retroarch settings are set to the proper directories. I have gotten two games to work, but the rest of the games I have are crashing when I try to open them.

Uuuuugh.

Parsnip

I'm ready to pull my hair out at getting PS1 games to work. I've verified the MD5 sum in the BIN files, things are in the proper directories, Retroarch settings are set to the proper directories. I have gotten two games to work, but the rest of the games I have are crashing when I try to open them.

Uuuuugh.

I once had an issue with PS1 games where some games would just crash and I couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was a really really dumb mistake on my part. I had renamed the cue/bin combo of those crashing games, but had forgotten to edit the contents of the .cue file, it was still looking for the the .bin with the old name.

Awakened

edit: been reading some more, but I kinda don't understand how to create overrides (also, googling Retroarch override doesn't provide much info). What should I be putting in these override files? Should I be putting them in config/SNES/ or in config/Snes9x/? What about the config naming convention themselves?
You name the folder inside config after the emulator name. That's the name that shows up in the GUI when you have the core loaded, minus the version number. So it should be SNES9x. Then you name the config file in that SNES9x folder after the emulator too, so SNES9x.cfg. Then you open that file in a text editor and add the config lines you want specifically for that core. To change the game folder and the shader, you would add:
Code:
rgui_browser_directory = ".\path\to\games"
video_shader = ".\path\to\shader.cgp"
The only issue with this is that the game folder doesn't change from overrides or per core configs when loading games from RetroArch's GUI. It does if you launch from the command line or a third party launcher though.

So you're better off using the new playlists/content scanning feature if you want to launch games from RA's GUI. Or using a single base folder with subfolders for each system's games.

So for example, in order to override the gameboy core, I have a file that lives at

Code:
D:\retroarch\config\gambatte

whose full content is just

Code:
video_shader = ":\shaders/02-lcd-04-gameboy-screen-grid+motionblur.cgp"

With config overrides on, any time I load a game in gambatte it'll apply this config and load the shader specified. The name of the folder and the config should both match the dll in the cores directory, so "gambatte_libretro.dll" ha a config loaded from the gambatte folder.

If you want to override config for just a specific game, save it in the gambatte folder with the name of the ROM (so you'd have something like "Shantae.cfg").

bacardi

Just a small question relating to the OSX build - are the cores going to be updated when 1.2.3 comes out? I know there's a problem with the nightly builds.

does anyone have good frontends or graphical user interfaces for retroarch?

I'm thinking something that allows you to select games from a menu with images of the cover art or cartridge.

Minsc

Gold Member
does anyone have good frontends or graphical user interfaces for retroarch?

I'm thinking something that allows you to select games from a menu with images of the cover art or cartridge.

Ice is great if you like Steam's grid layout (or big picture mode), Launchbox is great if you just want something that gives you more control yet is not overly flashy, also you could try XBMC with a scrapper for emulation, but I never quite got that working properly.

Launchbox is my favorite, it's made with emulation in mind too, as there's all sorts of preset configurations for different emulators in a drop-down menu (including retroarch as well as ScummVM and DOSBox and it plays nice with Steam etc as well), and you can add your own command line and customize the boxart as you like if the stuff it grabs off the various sites isn't what you like.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
completely new to this and I have no idea what I'm doing - folders and settings up the wazoo.

Where would I start, trying to get multiscreen games like Darius or Ninja Warriors to work nicely on a 21:9 monitor?

edit: oh man, standalone mame just works. Looks gorgeous.

Ice is great if you like Steam's grid layout (or big picture mode), Launchbox is great if you just want something that gives you more control yet is not overly flashy, also you could try XBMC with a scrapper for emulation, but I never quite got that working properly.

Launchbox is my favorite, it's made with emulation in mind too, as there's all sorts of preset configurations for different emulators in a drop-down menu (including retroarch as well as ScummVM and DOSBox and it plays nice with Steam etc as well), and you can add your own command line and customize the boxart as you like if the stuff it grabs off the various sites isn't what you like.

that looks good.

I've been trying to configure emulation station just now and it's a nightmare. Of course it doesn't work. Of course nothing makes sense..

Radius4

Retroarch is a frontend. (With it's own UI variations, check the options. The default is now XMB style.)

As for alternatives, here's a list:
https://github.com/Alcaro/misctoys/blob/master/libretrofrontlist.txt

RetroArch is not a frontend in the same sense he's asking, he wants a fancy launcher, RetroArch is the frontend code (I/O) for the cores it runs

completely new to this and I have no idea what I'm doing - folders and settings up the wazoo.

Where would I start, trying to get multiscreen games like Darius or Ninja Warriors to work nicely on a 21:9 monitor?

hmmm you'd have to set a custom screen ratio I guess

Burai

shitonmychest57
How do we enable borders and overlays in the new version? I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't find it!

Eila

How do we enable borders and overlays in the new version? I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't find it!

I would also like to know this. I'm trying to set up this thing but I'm struggling to find the cool shaders and the overlays. I'm using the Phosphor x2 shader to give a CRT look, but I think OPs pictures look better.
Also, is there a way to go back to the GUI after you boot up a core? It's a bit annoying having to close the thing to go to choose another game.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Also, is there a way to go back to the GUI after you boot up a core? It's a bit annoying having to close the thing to go to choose another game.

Just press the guide button on an Xbox controller or F1 on your keyboard to bring up the menu.

You can reassign that to another key or button in the settings.

KainXVIII

Wrong thread, but still - can't configure xbox one gamepad in Epsxe on Windows 10, it constantly changes all my buttons to dpad up =( (in Win7 my pad works perfectly). I can change buttons also from regedit, but cant figure which numbers corresponds to buttons on gamepad

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\epsxe\config]
"Pad1"="261,261,261,261,275,273,272,274,276,260,277,261,279,278,280,281"
"Pad2"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad3"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad4"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad5"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad6"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad7"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"Pad8"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"GamepadType"="4,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
"GamepadSubType"="0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"
"GamepadFullAxis"="0,1,3,4,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192,192"

Danneee

God the Retroarch gui is awful on android. It doesn't register menu choices or does so with lots of delay. With a controller it works but not if I pop out of a game to the menu, then it just isn't possible to navigate with anything but the slow touch interface. And this on a Z3 tablet which afaik is pretty speedy.
Shame as the rewind feature is pretty neat but not worth fighting the GUI for.

miserable

Hello guys, can someone please tell me how to enable the double strike option? Looked all over the menu and i didn't find it.
I'm using RetroArch 1.2.2 on Wii.

Radius4

Isn't it black frame insertion?

God the Retroarch gui is awful on android. It doesn't register menu choices or does so with lots of delay. With a controller it works but not if I pop out of a game to the menu, then it just isn't possible to navigate with anything but the slow touch interface. And this on a Z3 tablet which afaik is pretty speedy.
Shame as the rewind feature is pretty neat but not worth fighting the GUI for.

It works fine here on a shield tablet.

EasyMode

Isn't it black frame insertion?

I believe some refer to 240p output as double strike.

Hello guys, can someone please tell me how to enable the double strike option? Looked all over the menu and i didn't find it.
I'm using RetroArch 1.2.2 on Wii.

I'm assuming this is hooked up to a CRT?

Under Settings > Video

Screen Resolution: 640x224 (trust me on this, it will accommodate the different system resolutions. Press A to make it take effect and now you'll have scanlines.)

Integer Scale: ON (This is important. Without it the games will look a bit off vertically. Don't worry, it will fill the screen.)

Dizzy-4U

Just a PSA to anyone using a 360 controller in Windows 10 for Retroarch.

If you use the guide button for anything (in my case to close Retroarch), chances are it won't work in Windows 10 by default.

Windows 10 uses it as a dedicated menu bar for streaming and crap. So open the menu bar (Win+G) and disable the use of the guide button in the settings.

This will enable the button to work again in Retroarch.

miserable

I believe some refer to 240p output as double strike.

I'm assuming this is hooked up to a CRT?

Under Settings > Video

Screen Resolution: 640x224 (trust me on this, it will accommodate the different system resolutions. Press A to make it take effect and now you'll have scanlines.)

Integer Scale: ON (This is important. Without it the games will look a bit off vertically. Don't worry, it will fill the screen.)

yes the Wii is hooked up to a CRT with an RGB Scart cable
i set those options, but using the NES emulators the image is a bit stretched horizontally, also there is a shimmering-like? effect when playing the games
and it's strange how there isn't a 320x240 resolution option in the video settings

bacardi

Has anyone tried connecting a DualShock 3 to the Mac and then run retroarch? For some reason in Dualshock or DualAnalog mode - the axes are messed up and it's impossible to control anything with the analog sticks. They're mapped correctly though if using d-pad to analog axis mapping.

EasyMode

yes the Wii is hooked up to a CRT with an RGB Scart cable
i set those options, but using the NES emulators the image is a bit stretched horizontally, also there is a shimmering-like? effect when playing the games
and it's strange how there isn't a 320x240 resolution option in the video settings

The settings I posted assume everything else is default settings. Looks great on my end so I'm a bit surprised (no shimmering). Is this a PAL or NTSC tv? Mine's the latter hooked up with component cables.

Do you have Crop Overscan on or off? I believe it's on by default. Also, I'm pretty sure 320x240 is an option, although I believe NES outputs 256x224/240 (depending on overscan settings). I would play around with the different resolution options until it looks right.

I jail broke my iPhone today and installed retroarch. It has some issues with the screen and button overlays. Apparently it only happens with iPhone 6 and 6+.

Edit: I did some digging and there are nightly iOS builds. But I think I have to compile it? I'm not an expert at this stuff lol. Is there a pre-compiled build already?

SOLDIER

As I got recommendations to use this emulator from another thread, I was wondering if there was a guide available in order to create a Retroarch UI that can be navigated entirely by controller. I'm hoping to make this my all-in-one emulator that can be launched through Steam Big Picture Mode, while also using my PS4 controller.

Rich!

As I got recommendations to use this emulator from another thread, I was wondering if there was a guide available in order to create a Retroarch UI that can be navigated entirely by controller. I'm hoping to make this my all-in-one emulator that can be launched through Steam Big Picture Mode, while also using my PS4 controller.

Retroarch by default is designed to be navigated with purely with a controller.

SOLDIER

Retroarch by default is designed to be navigated with purely with a controller.

I can't get it to read my PS4 controller, even though it's listed as "Wireless Controller".

Does it need to be in exclusive mode to work with Retroarch? I still haven't managed to get that working, as I can't figure out what program is interfering with it.

Awakened

I can't get it to read my PS4 controller, even though it's listed as "Wireless Controller".

Does it need to be in exclusive mode to work with Retroarch? I still haven't managed to get that working, as I can't figure out what program is interfering with it.
You might need to change the Joystick Driver setting in Settings, Drivers. If you're using a wrapper that makes the PS4 controller act like a 360 one, Xinput should work the best.

SOLDIER

Edit: Got it working.

So how does this work? I downloaded the files with all the cores. Do I have to have Retroarch point to the cores before I can run any games? The main menu just says "No Core Loaded".

Edit: Got it working.

So how does this work? I downloaded the files with all the cores. Do I have to have Retroarch point to the cores before I can run any games? The main menu just says "No Core Loaded".

Choose Load Content (Detect Core), open up your ROM, select from the list of cores it shows you.

bodine1231

I cannot figure out how to get PSX games to run,all I get is a small black windowed screen then it crashes back to Emustation. I've put many different psx bios both in the retroarch folder and cores forum. I've also tried both capitol and lowercase letters. Completely stumped.

Radius4

Hmm, I'm having it point to my ROM folders, but no ROMs are showing up. Do they have to be in a certain format?

I think you may have started wrongly.
Easy way to start with RA is to download this:
http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/RetroArch_full.7z

Then download the cores from core updater, and configure BROWSER DIR, SYSTEM DIR, SAVE DIR, and STATE DIR at least.

All should work fine after that.

We could check your config and do a long diagnostic procedure... but hey it's faster like I said.

I cannot figure out how to get PSX games to run,all I get is a small black windowed screen then it crashes back to Emustation. I've put many different psx bios both in the retroarch folder and cores forum. I've also tried both capitol and lowercase letters. Completely stumped.

Read this: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX
And let us know if you still can't figure it out.

Top Bottom