• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Lettuce

That file needs to be in "<systemfolder>\PPSSPP". There's also a "flash0" folder with fonts in it from standalone PPSSPP's assets folder you need to copy there to get fonts to show up in certain games.
p

Hmmm on the stable 1.2.1 release there was no systems folder so I just pointed the pep core to where I had the pop files needed and I still get the error message

Sanctuary

I can't figure out how to use this to run PS1 games.

I was having a hell of a time earlier today, but my main issue was that the directory RetroArch by default is supposed to be looking in, it doesn't actually look in, and you need to force it to by browsing to that very same directory (in the settings option) and applying that as the directory you want it to look in for the bioses. At least in the most stable version.

Anyway, you need the three correct bioses and have the emulator looking at whatever directory you want it to be looking in. To make sure it is, load up the PSX core and look under information. It will tell you the bioses you need and whether or not they are currently accessible.

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Using_RetroArch

If you need an MD5 checker, I'd suggest: IgoreWare Hasher. It's free and extremely simple to use.

jonathon

Neo Member
EDIT: I upgraded to 1.2.1 and it works like a charm :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Awakened
I have a problem with retroarch mame core and retrofe (only problem with this core), I have to press alt + tab to move to the retroarch windows's and play.
this happens only with that core, all other work correctly.

This need any special configuration ?

launcher:

executable = C:\Retroarch\retroarch.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" -L C:\Retroarch\cores\mame_libretro.dll
pics

You don't need to manually save configs from the menu if you only use one config. By default, the "Save Configuration on Exit" setting should be on, which means anything you change in the menu will save to retroarch.cfg and be loaded next time to start RA.

Yeah i was doing that but it kept defaulting back to the original setting (non full screen, no controller bindings)

weird.

There's a menu wallpaper setting where you can choose any PNG to be your background.

awesome, thanks!

I was having a wierd issue last night where I would select core updater and the whole menu would like... scroll lock and just duplicate itself on top of the screen. Kinda hard to explain, hopefully it'll be fixed after a reboot (i didnt try again last night)

Is there a way to delete cores you've downloaded? accidentally ended up with multiples of genesis cores and I only need 1

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I was having a hell of a time earlier today, but my main issue was that the directory RetroArch by default is supposed to be looking in, it doesn't actually look in, and you need to force it to by browsing to that very same directory (in the settings option) and applying that as the directory you want it to look in for the bioses. At least in the most stable version.

Anyway, you need the three correct bioses and have the emulator looking at whatever directory you want it to be looking in. To make sure it is, load up the PSX core and look under information. It will tell you the bioses you need and whether or not they are currently accessible.

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Using_RetroArch

If you need an MD5 checker, I'd suggest: IgoreWare Hasher. It's free and extremely simple to use.

I got it to work. For some reason the core wouldn't load in any of the Retroarch versions I tried except x86_64 1.2.1 stable.

On another note, is there any way to get a mupen64plus core using GlideN64 v1.2 for the video plugin?

Awakened

p

Hmmm on the stable 1.2.1 release there was no systems folder so I just pointed the pep core to where I had the pop files needed and I still get the error message
Is it not set by default or something? Because it's right there in Directory settings as System/BIOS.
Edit:
Radius mentions in a post on Libretro here that the system folder still works as it always has, but there is a bug in 1.2.1 where it can reset when launched from command line. If you grab the latest nightly or wait for 1.2.2 it's fixed.
Is there a way to delete cores you've downloaded? accidentally ended up with multiples of genesis cores and I only need 1
Just delete the extra core dll's in the cores folder.
On another note, is there any way to get a mupen64plus core using GlideN64 v1.2 for the video plugin?
The Glide64 plugin has some fixes from GlideN64 already in it. But I also read in #retroarch that they plan on replacing the gln64 plugin with GlideN64 eventually.

Sanctuary

Does RetroArch have problems creating a playlist for PSX games or something? All of my Genesis/SNES roms are each in their own selectable tabs (with controller icons at the top) in a nice list, but each time I want to use a PSX game, I have to do the Load Content > select file and detect core, then browse through a few PSX folders to load a game. It's not like it's that big of a deal or anything, just curious. It doesn't seem to have any problems remembering "recent" though if I want to reload the last game I played on the PSX.

Also, does anyone actually use any filters in conjunction with a shader? Considering even the 2x filter option starts the smear effect, I've just been leaving them blank, or editing them out. It seems like the shaders look better by themselves, but maybe I'm missing something.

Awakened

Does RetroArch have problems creating a playlist for PSX games or something? All of my Genesis/SNES roms are each in their own selectable tabs (with controller icons at the top) in a nice list, but each time I want to use a PSX game, I have to do the Load Content > select file and detect core, then browse through a few PSX folders to load a game. It's not like it's that big of a deal or anything, just curious. It doesn't seem to have any problems remembering "recent" though if I want to reload the last game I played on the PSX.
No CD based systems work with content scanning yet. The scanning and playlist manipulation are things that should get more robust soon.

Sanctuary

One last question: how do you actually save shader preset changes? Every time I try, it asks me to input a name, but after that it doesn't show that it saved anything and no new .cgp shows up in the shader folder. So when I try to load what I just saved, that's not an option.

edit: hell, it doesn't even want to save configs for cores or even the main menu. Every other time I have to reset in the directory where each core looks for files. Sometimes it sticks, other times it just randomly decides to remove my settings, forcing me to sift through C > users > name > desktop > Restroarch > roms > whatever console. It seems to stick as long as I don't close Retroarch, but half of the time after closing it doesn't remember.

ss_lemonade

Am I just unlucky or is retroarch getting more and more unstable with every release? I guess that's expected with nightlies, but even the playstore release has its share of issues like crashing and menu/interface bugs

Radius4

Actually nightlies are better most of the time, a lot of 1.2 bugs were solved overnight and several smaller 1.2.1 bugs were solved too already by now

ss_lemonade

Actually nightlies are better most of the time, a lot of 1.2 bugs were solved overnight and several smaller 1.2.1 bugs were solved too already by now
Yeah, just grabbed the latest one and the system dir bug seems to have been fixed already. One question though (I'm using the android version by the way), how do I get loaded configurations to stick? I've been testing a few builds here and there and because I constantly had to set settings and directories every time I installed a different version, I figured I would just save a configuration, store it somewhere and reload the config always. Loading a stored configuration works but the settings don't seem to stick once I exit the application

Any idea where we're at with the high DPI fix on Android? I'd really prefer to stick to Play releases now that they've caught up to the codebase, but is that fix in the nightlies now?

ss_lemonade

Any idea where we're at with the high DPI fix on Android? I'd really prefer to stick to Play releases now that they've caught up to the codebase, but is that fix in the nightlies now?
What was the problem with the dpi? I know that the glui menu looks much much better now compared to its old pixely look

jonathon

Neo Member
Edit: lol, system\bios folder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MESS core still it works?
I answer myself: yes.

F2P5pKm.png

anyone know why I get this glitchy mess in yabause?

the standalone one works fine but retroarch has messed up color depth(i think that's the problem??)

EDIT: got to 1.2.1 and it's fine now. Not sure if it was that or some other changes I made in the meantime but all is good

Sanctuary

How do you get SegaCD games to properly load in RetroArch? Should I just be renaming my bios? It works just fine in Fusion64/Kega.

Having a similar issue as when trying to setup the PSX to work. This time though I'm at a loss. I've renamed them, the MD5s are correct, and I've put them in the specified folder, and made sure that the emulator is actually looking in that folder.

Nothing. Keeps saying it's missing the required bioses.

Sanctuary

You've got the bios files named like "bios_CD_U.bin"?

Yep. Even tried "bios" in upper and lower case, since it's shown two different ways.

https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/wiki/User-guide:-BIOS-files

All three of them are the right files, and it's not the roms, unless RetroArch just hates the six roms that I have. They work fine in the other emulator (which doesn't have the awesome shaders!).
There was even some random information saying that you needed the bioses to be placed in the same directory as the games you want to play, so I just copy/pasted them there as well. Doesn't work. When looking at the core info, it just says missing required files.

edit: does SegaCD emulator aspect require the actual roms to be named something specific? The PSX emulator doesn't care as long as the cues match the bin.

Try running the app in verbose mode (retroarch.exe --verbose --menu) and look to see what shows up in the CLI window when you try to load one of those.

Sanctuary

Actually, I got it working. The names are not supposed to be taken literally.
It should just be:

bios_CD_U

not

bios_CD_U.bin

Awakened

What's the difference between "Mednafen PCE Fast" and "Mednafen SGX"?
SGX runs SuperGrafx games, in addition to Hucard and CD games. It lacks the initial and last scanline core options the PCE Fast core has though, which are useful for cropping off overscan. They're both based off the less accurate "Fast" PCE emulation from Mednafen.

BONKERS

anyone know why I get this glitchy mess in yabause?

the standalone one works fine but retroarch has messed up color depth(i think that's the problem??)

EDIT: got to 1.2.1 and it's fine now. Not sure if it was that or some other changes I made in the meantime but all is good

They mentioned this a few pages back. Is something currently broken IIRC

Dizzy-4U

SGX runs SuperGrafx games, in addition to Hucard and CD games. It lacks the initial and last scanline core options the PCE Fast core has though, which are useful for cropping off overscan. They're both based off the less accurate "Fast" PCE emulation from Mednafen.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Lettuce

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Hang on whats the recommended PCE core to use??

Also what about GBA.....there seems to be like 5 different cores for the GBA which is ridiculous, not sure why the development team on these cores dont decided to drop all of them bar the best 2 and work on bring missing emulators like C64, Amstrad and PS2.

What is the reason for having some many different variants of the same core in RA, most of the time there is 1 core that performs and is more accurate than the rest so why not just cut the 'fat' and stream line the core footprint?

Dizzy-4U

"Mednafen PCE Fast" has been working great for me. Honestly I don't know what's "less accurate" about it.

I'd recommend going into the core options and set the "ADPCM Volume" and "CD PSG Volume" to 40 or 50.

These options lower the volume for the sound effects. They are way too loud in my opinion and some games can make your ears bleed.

Radius4

Also what about GBA.....there seems to be like 5 different cores for the GBA which is ridiculous, not sure why the development team on these cores dont decided to drop all of them bar the best 2 and work on bring missing emulators like C64, Amstrad and PS2.

What is the reason for having some many different variants of the same core in RA, most of the time there is 1 core that performs and is more accurate than the rest so why not just cut the 'fat' and stream line the core footprint?

Because mGBA was done by endrift himself, VBAM and VBA-next have been there always.
PS2? PCSX is a mess it won't be likely ported, and C64 and Amstrad, lack of interest.

These cores are already done, there is not much to do to support them. Adding new cores is a lot of work.

Cut the fat? you don't have to use the cores, you don't even have to download the cores you don't want.

They mentioned this a few pages back. Is something currently broken IIRC

Fixed already

Awakened

I'd recommend going into the core options and set the "ADPCM Volume" and "CD PSG Volume" to 40 or 50.

These options lower the volume for the sound effects. They are way too loud in my opinion and some games can make your ears bleed.
Huh, I always thought those options didn't work, but it turns out they take effect after a restart. Now I can ditch my old source edit of the core that doubled the CDDA volume in an attempt to balance the audio.

Lettuce

PS2? PCSX is a mess it won't be likely ported, and C64 and Amstrad, lack of interest.

These cores are already done, there is not much to do to support them. Adding new cores is a lot of work.

Im surprised that the Jaguar, Virtual boy, Vectrex or even Game&Watch emulators had more interest than porting Vice or Caprice??

Dizzy-4U

Huh, I always thought those options didn't work, but it turns out they take effect after a restart. Now I can ditch my old source edit of the core that doubled the CDDA volume in an attempt to balance the audio.
Yeah, same thing happened to me. For the longest time I thought they didn't work.

Now I make sure I restart every time I make a modification to any core just to be sure.

Sanctuary

That file needs to be in "<systemfolder>\PPSSPP". There's also a "flash0" folder with fonts in it from standalone PPSSPP's assets folder you need to copy there to get fonts to show up in certain games.

I am having the same problem. I copied the required file from the standalone ppsspp to both the system, assets and content folder, but the error persists.

The error says to place it in the assets directory.

Pretty much all of the roms seem to load even with that error, along with the "WriteRest: op out of range" error as well.

KainXVIII

Whats difference between Cg and GLSL shaders? I found that glsl (lottes+hallation) don't slow down emulation unlike cg shader.

Awakened

I am having the same problem. I copied the required file from the standalone ppsspp to both the system, assets and content folder, but the error persists.
It needs to be in a PPSSPP folder inside whatever you set your system directory as. That folder should already exist in your system folder, since that's where the core keeps save data. It would look something like this in Explorer:

5KjrgLp.png

That's the bare minimum of stuff you need there. The core can also use internal PPSSPP shaders by changing a core option. So you'd need the shaders folder from standalone's assets in there for that to work.

The error about stuff needing to be in assets is wrong. It says assets because it's coming from standalone PPSSPP's code and the libretro fork is shallow, so they didn't change what the error says.
Pretty much all of the roms seem to load even with that error, along with the "WriteRest: op out of range" error as well.
That's a known error already listed as an issue on git: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp/issues/22

Sanctuary

It needs to be in a PPSSPP folder inside whatever you set your system directory as. That folder should already exist in your system folder, since that's where the core keeps save data. It would look something like this in Explorer:

5KjrgLp.png

That's the bare minimum of stuff you need there. The core can also use internal PPSSPP shaders by changing a core option. So you'd need the shaders folder from standalone's assets in there for that to work.

The error about stuff needing to be in assets is wrong. It says assets because it's coming from standalone PPSSPP's code and the libretro fork is shallow, so they didn't change what the error says.

That's a known error already listed as an issue on git: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp/issues/22

Thanks, got rid of the first error. Although I had it in the system folder in an "assets" folder, inside the ppsspp folder which is why it wasn't working.

As for the second error: are you able to run ppsspp in fullscreen without a window? If I set it up for fullscreen mode, when that second error pops up, my mouse pointer becomes inactive and I am unable to close the error (can do it in windowed mode). If I start in windowed mode and try to go fullscreen with a game active, it just crashes Retroarch. Don't have that problem with any other core so far.

tuco11

Downloaded the Windows version tonight. I have Windows 7. Every time I click the .exe it says "Retroarch has stopped working " Any advice? I tried both Window's versions.

thanks!

Awakened

As for the second error: are you able to run ppsspp in fullscreen without a window? If I set it up for fullscreen mode, when that second error pops up, my mouse pointer becomes inactive and I am unable to close the error (can do it in windowed mode). If I start in windowed mode and try to go fullscreen with a game active, it just crashes Retroarch. Don't have that problem with any other core so far.
I'm using a slightly older build of the core that doesn't have the WriteRest error until they fix it. You can grab it here.

Sanctuary

I'm using a slightly older build of the core that doesn't have the WriteRest error until they fix it. You can grab it here.

Thanks a lot. Fixed that issue too.

edit: Ugh. It seems like RetroArch's implementation (regardless of the two PSP cores I use) has a lot of audio hiccups depending on the game. The one you sent has more persistent crackling and popping (every 5s or so), but it's nowhere near as loud as the one I was using. The one I was using pops a lot less, but when it happens, the volume is much louder. The actual standalone PPSSPP emulator does not have this problem at all. The audio is flawless, but the shaders and scaling for sprite based games just pales in comparison. So I have to pick between acceptable graphics with perfect sound, or vastly improved postprocessing with annoying sound. I think for this single game that I am having issues with, I'll just stick to the standalone, and for everything else RetroArch, since it seems to function fine for what I have other than FFIV. Worst thing about the standalone is text. It's just a blurry, smeared mess.

Parsnip

Is there a way to delete games from the playlists (and possibly hard drive) through the GUI?
How about resetting a playlist entirely?

Also, specifically to desmume core, is it possible to adjust mouse sensitivity for the stylus emulation? Looked through the core options and didn't see anything, was wondering if I somehow missed it. Having a real tough time drawing the seals in Dawn of Sorrow at the moment, it's way to sensitive.

Awakened

Is there a way to delete games from the playlists (and possibly hard drive) through the GUI?
How about resetting a playlist entirely?

Also, specifically to desmume core, is it possible to adjust mouse sensitivity for the stylus emulation? Looked through the core options and didn't see anything, was wondering if I somehow missed it. Having a real tough time drawing the seals in Dawn of Sorrow at the moment, it's way to sensitive.
There's no way to delete playlist entries through the GUI yet. You'd have to open the .lpl in a text editor and delete the entry there. Or delete the ROM and playlist file, then rescan the directory with Add Content.

The emulated pointer acceleration percent core option should affect sensitivity.

Awakened

Mouse stylus as well? It doesn't feel like it affects mouse stylus at all, only the stick stylus emulation.
Nah, it only affects the stick. For the most precise mouse input, you can switch to absolute Mouse/pointer mode in the core options, then hit F to run in a window. That way you can control the touchscreen with your desktop cursor. This only works with screen layouts that display both screens at the same time.

Is there any work around to setting different shaders/settings for .gb and .gbc files? I know the one way would be to use a different emulator core, but I'd prefer to just use the gambatte core if possible.

Radius4

Just do overrides per-game on the platform you have the least.
I've been thinking about adding overrides per-collection, that would alleaviate the issue but it would require collections.

Top Bottom