• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Conan-san

You could try putting that line in your main retroarch.cfg and see if it works just to make sure the path is working.
I have, and I've even copied it into the gambate folder and made that the gambatte cfg file and it still will not take.

the cfg file is in "RetroArch\config\Gambatte\Gambatte.cfg"

This is a pain in the arse.

Radius4

Any reason for doing precompiled dats instead of 'easy to modify' XML ones?

Speed, also we don't want an XML parser in the codebase

Trying to set up some MESS systems is turning out to be quite a challenge.

Yeah, tbh except for shaders you might be better off with standalone for complex systems, the libretro MAME OSD is due a rewrite

Does this not run in full screen anymore?

It does? are you having issues? platform, logs, etc?

I'm gonna just quote myself because I'm tired now

This took a lot of effort and testing, we made a few improvements over 1.2 already:

- We added two keycombos to toggle the menu, they are under input settings (one for retropad and one for retropad w/analog), these are useful for controllers without extra buttons
- We've made it possible to map controllers again without autoconf and make the config stick in android
- We changed the autoconf system, now it is score based, it will look for VID/PID, exact name and partial name and add up the matches
- It will now look for autoconf files in the root folder of the autoconf dir. If none are found it will look in the input joypad driver subfolder, this is done partially to mantain compatilibility with the 1.2 configs
- We added resolution saving to the wii port
- Fixed saving the menu toggle in android
- Added VID/PID to autoconf with dinput/xinput
- Made it possible to hide overlay when entering the menu to use touch input
- Reworked some paths in the android, downloads should go to the download folder, screenshots should go to the pictures folder by default
- Removed most of the outdated android menu
- Made it possible to use content dir again for saves/states in android
- Hide some settings on platforms that are not used
- Playlists repopulate after scanning
- Autodetect lists repopulate after downloading cores
- Better GLUI scaling
- Lots and lots of small memleak fixes, code style fixes and gui fixes

Have fun, 1.2.1 is close

Awakened

I have, and I've even copied it into the gambate folder and made that the gambatte cfg file and it still will not take.

the cfg file is in "RetroArch\config\Gambatte\Gambatte.cfg"

This is a pain in the arse.
And you turned on "Load Override Files Automatically" and made sure your config directory is set to ".\config"?

Awakened

Aye, but you know what else I did have on?

Core Spcific config

Turning that off seems to have gotten it.

What an almighty headache though.
I forgot that setting disables overrides >_<. Adding "(Disables Override Files)" next to the "Configuration Per Core" setting would probably be a good idea.

Parsnip

Is it possible to have core specific hotkey binds? For example, I would love to put fast forward bind on R2, L2 or some other unused button for VBA-M core.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys. I'd really like to play Metroid Prime Hunters, but I HATE the control scheme on my DS, I mean it just isn't fun to play. Has anyone found a decent button mapping combination/mod using Retroarch to play the game with something like an Xbox 360 controller?

Thanks!

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, tbh except for shaders you might be better off with standalone for complex systems, the libretro MAME OSD is due a rewrite
I like the crt shaders so much that all the trouble is worth the effort. I'm trying to have an unified look to all my systems. I can't go back to unfiltered emulation after easymode and hyllian.

What's wrong with MAME by the way? It seems to be working fine on my end.

Awakened

Is it possible to have core specific hotkey binds? For example, I would love to put fast forward bind on R2, L2 or some other unused button for VBA-M core.
Yep, just copy the line from retroarch.cfg of whatever hotkey you want different, paste it into your override config file and change the mapping there. I don't think remap files cover hotkeys, so overrides are the only way to do that.
Hey guys. I'd really like to play Metroid Prime Hunters, but I HATE the control scheme on my DS, I mean it just isn't fun to play. Has anyone found a decent button mapping combination/mod using Retroarch to play the game with something like an Xbox 360 controller?

Thanks!
You can turn on analog stick stylus control in the core options, but you'd need to hold down a button all the time to simulate having your stylus touching the screen. The button for that is one of the triggers by default. It'd be interesting if you could set it to be Capslock or something to toggle it on all the time, but I bet that doesn't work. You could probably set it to a certain key and have an autohotkey script press that key constantly if you know how to use ahk.

Radius4

I like the crt shaders so much that all the trouble is worth the effort. I'm trying to have an unified look to all my systems. I can't go back to unfiltered emulation after easymode and hyllian.

What's wrong with MAME by the way? It seems to be working fine on my end.

well basically we wrap the commandline options and pass them, it's not an optimal solution.
It would be better to get deeper into MAME's loading routines to make something better.

Radius4

Hmmm haven't tested that, I don't have an OTG cable but I see no reason for it not to, I tried 4 player bomberman with NES30s and it worked (via BT)

Yep, just copy the line from retroarch.cfg of whatever hotkey you want different, paste it into your override config file and change the mapping there. I don't think remap files cover hotkeys, so overrides are the only way to do that.

You can turn on analog stick stylus control in the core options, but you'd need to hold down a button all the time to simulate having your stylus touching the screen. The button for that is one of the triggers by default. It'd be interesting if you could set it to be Capslock or something to toggle it on all the time, but I bet that doesn't work. You could probably set it to a certain key and have an autohotkey script press that key constantly if you know how to use ahk.

Couldn't you set the stylus button to be R3, at least? Still not ideal, but at least less awkward if your thumb is going to be on the stick anyhow.

Radius4

dumb question but is there a way to make it so that there's an overide for one sort of file type (.gb) and another (.gbc)?

No, it only works for corename and gamename, but it's a good idea I'll consider it for the future.

Couldn't you set the stylus button to be R3, at least? Still not ideal, but at least less awkward if your thumb is going to be on the stick anyhow.

I think I can make the stylus a toggle, I'll give it a shot after the 1.2 cycle is done, too busy with the frontend now

Lettuce

Any advantage using Windowed Fullscreen mode over Fullscreen mode??

Also is there anyway to fix the aspect ratio of boxart at all?

Lettuce

On older builds of RA, when you selected custom ratio it would display the game loaded and you could see the display screen size changing, for example when using overlays for handheld systems and are using the custom ratio setting to get the display image to fit to the size of the screen on the handheld overlay. But with 1.2 and the xmb GUI you no longer see the game screen when setting a custom screen ratio is there a way to see the game screen when your editing the screen ratio at all?

Awakened

Any advantage using Windowed Fullscreen mode over Fullscreen mode??

Also is there anyway to fix the aspect ratio of boxart at all?
Windowed fullscreen doesn't make the screen blink when launching RA and it gets back in sync faster after fast forwarding on my 120hz monitor. It's supposed to be laggier than true fullscreen, but I didn't notice a difference.

You could pad your boxart images with transparency to make them square so they display correctly. Or wait for them to fix the aspect issue.
On older builds of RA, when you selected custom ratio it would display the game loaded and you could see the display screen size changing, for example when using overlays for handheld systems and are using the custom ratio setting to get the display image to fit to the size of the screen on the handheld overlay. But with 1.2 and the xmb GUI you no longer see the game screen when setting a custom screen ratio is there a way to see the game screen when your editing the screen ratio at all?
You can still see the game behind the xmb GUI if you use a background image that has transparency.

Edit: You can also have the game keep running in the background if you turn off "Pause when menu activated" in Menu Settings.

jonathon

Neo Member
what a great new version of retroarch, the new gui is great! , and the quick menu too.

@Awakened
i have a problem with retrofe and the dscription of the games.

pd: the files and path are the default.

Awakened

@Awakened
i have a problem with retrofe and the dscription of the games.

pd: the files and path are the default.
You have to import hyperlist xmls to add the meta data. You can get the official ones from HyperList and put them in RetroFE\meta\hyperlist. You need to delete meta.db in the main RetroFE folder if it exists to get it to rebuild it's database after adding xmls to that folder.

J_Lee

Banned
Could anyone help me, I got RetroArch working with Hyperspin but I can't get RetroArch to load my shader presets for individual consoles it just reverts back to the last shader I had working. Can anyone point me to some info to get this sorted out.

Awakened

Could anyone help me, I got RetroArch working with Hyperspin but I can't get RetroArch to load my shader presets for individual consoles it just reverts back to the last shader I had working. Can anyone point me to some info to get this sorted out.
Check the first part of this post. You need to have "Configuration Per Core" disabled to use overrides. And if you use HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher, there may be some extra per console config loading system they have setup in the ahk script that could interfere with overrides.

Parsnip

I've been playing through the handheld Castlevania games and am currently on the third GBA title, and will soon move to the DS titles.
This may have been brought up before, but how's the DS emulation, specifically stylus handled? Do I even need stylus in those games? Can I view only one of the screens at any time and flip between them with a button? Any pointers are appreciated. :)

Awakened

I've been playing through the handheld Castlevania games and am currently on the third GBA title, and will soon move to the DS titles.
This may have been brought up before, but how's the DS emulation, specifically stylus handled? Do I even need stylus in those games? Can I view only one of the screens at any time and flip between them with a button? Any pointers are appreciated. :)
You can use a mouse to control the stylus. And also turn on analog stick stylus control in the core options. Analog works well for selecting things on the bottom screen, but I think drawing those seals to finish off bosses in Dawn of Sorrow would need mouse control to pull off. Luckily they got rid of the touch stuff in Portrait and Ecclesia.

There are several screen view styles in the core options. Including a quick switch option where you view a single screen and press a button or key to swap screens on the fly. I find that works really well for the majority of DS games I play.

Parsnip

You can use a mouse to control the stylus. And also turn on analog stick stylus control in the core options. Analog works well for selecting things on the bottom screen, but I think drawing those seals to finish off bosses in Dawn of Sorrow would need mouse control to pull off. Luckily they got rid of the touch stuff in Portrait and Ecclesia.

There are several screen view styles in the core options. Including a quick switch option where you view a single screen and press a button or key to swap screens on the fly. I find that works really well for the majority of DS games I play.

Awesome. I didn't expect there to be a screen swap at all, just kind of threw that in there as more of a feature request than anything. :p Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Sanctuary

Trying to get this set up correctly, but this has to be one of the least user friendly emulators out there (not to be confused with least amount of options). I don't know if it's just the latest 1.2 build or what, but half of the time when I try to add and apply a shader, I lose all control functionality with both the pad or keyboard as though it does a hard freeze. Then, once I finally get the shader applied without any freezing, if I try to adjust any of the shader options through the sliders a) Retroarch freezes or b) the changes only apply to windowed mode and it reverts to the default setting in full screen.

edit: for whatever reason, unplugging the controller and plugging it back in fixes the issue. But it's literally half of the time and I don't know what is causing this. Using DS4Windows.

Parsnip

While I haven't played around with shaders on SNES games, for my GBA Castlevania run I've settled for super-xbr-2p. I say settled because I usually go with simple bicubic-fast or bicubic-normal, but they felt too blurry to me, so I had to settle for something else.

I also don't like scanlines at all.

Sanctuary

RetroArch-0513-165700.png

Which shader are you using for this? I can't seem to get scalines to look like that at all.

edit: heh, I guess it was an overlay?

Sanctuary

Nope, it's CRT-Royale

I've been testing that out as well quite a bit, but I guess I simply don't know which options are supposed to affect the scalines. Screwing with all of the available sliders doesn't seem to do anything at all to them. Even without the scanlines most games look pretty good with that shader, but they would look better (IMO) with them.

I tried looking at your settings for SoTN, but the file is no longer available.

Lettuce

Has anyone had any issues with the PSP core (PPSSPP)?

Im getting the error message...

Failed to load ppge_atlas.zim

I have downloaded the standalone PSPS emulator and copied the ppsspp folder to the 'Content' folder (this has replaced the system folder now right??) in the RA directory and then pointed the PSP core to this folder in the Settings>Directory>'SYS/BIOS Dir'

but im still getting this error message, any ideas?

Lettuce

While I haven't played around with shaders on SNES games, for my GBA Castlevania run I've settled for super-xbr-2p. I say settled because I usually go with simple bicubic-fast or bicubic-normal, but they felt too blurry to me, so I had to settle for something else.

I also don't like scanlines at all.

I like the shader in the handheld section....

Sanctuary

Can't seem to get the Mednafen PSX emulator to work at all either.
This happens every single time I try to run a game:
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port1.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port2.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port3.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port4.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port5.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port6.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port7.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port8.gun_chairs
RetroArch [ERROR] :: [libretro ERROR] :: Error opening file No such file or directory
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'MDFN_Error'
what(): Error opening file No such file or directory

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

ePSXe works fine, but I'd rather be able to take advantage of the much better shaders of RestroArch.

Every hit with this error claims it's a bios issues, although I have the right bios (with the correct name) and in the right folder.

Lettuce

Where have you placed ure BIOS files??, as there is now no system folder and i think the default folder for BIOS's is the 'Content' folder

Sanctuary

Where have you placed ure BIOS files??, as there is now no system folder and i think the default folder for BIOS's is the 'Content' folder

Really? Mine has a system folder, and that's been where it's said you put them. I have the latest version, and all of the bios's are named correctly and the MD5's match up.

I'll try putting them in the content folder and see what happens though.

edit: Nope, now it just instantly crashes. Using the latest x86_64 and I've even tried the 32 and have the same issue. I need to be trying out a known RetroArch version that works with it. I haven't even started bothering with the Saturn or PS2 yet, and if I can't even get the PSX to work on the current version, I'm not going to bother.

edit2:I just read one of your earlier posts about checking the core information, and after loading it, it says that I'm missing the necessary bios's. It also doesn't actually seem to matter what folder you have them in as long as Retroarch knows which folder to look at, since you can make it whatever you like. I just left it pointing to content though.
They are the right files, with the correct names (case sensitive) and MD5's.

I JUST got this installed and have started playing with it in the last day or two

is there a more elegant way to load a "default" config?

I saved my config, went to the config folder and pulling that one out and overwriting the default .cfg in the root folder

All I did was map a controller and set a default directory where the roms exist but is there a better option than the above?

also I'm guessing I can load in box arts and stuff...

are there other skins for retroarch as well? the salmon color (from memory so I could be wrong) is kinda plain

Sanctuary

Lol, whatever. RetroArch wasn't even looking in the default directory that it shows it looks in for the bios's. After changing the path, now it recognizes them...
And yet after all of that, it still crashes when trying to load PSX games.

edit: FFS. Now at least I was able to boot up a game. Progress.

Lol, whatever. RetroArch wasn't even looking in the default directory that it shows it looks in for the bios's. After changing the path, now it recognizes them...
And yet after all of that, it still crashes when trying to load PSX games.

edit: FFS. Now at least I was able to boot up a game. Progress.

I've had on and off sucess with PSX games. The bios stuff was a pain, and then I had to extract all my games from .7z files, which sucks, but it does work.... so that's a good thing I guess

Is enable_hotkeys working? On the old version of Retroarch I set Right-Trigger to enable_hotkeys so if I wanted to use Load State, Save State and Exit Retroarch, I had to first press the Right-Trigger and then the corresponding button. However, in 1.2.1, enable_hotkeys isn't doing anything and the buttons are "working" without even holding right-trigger.

Sanctuary

I've had on and off sucess with PSX games. The bios stuff was a pain, and then I had to extract all my games from .7z files, which sucks, but it does work.... so that's a good thing I guess

Yes, and from what little time I've spent checking out various games with it, they look noticeably better than with something like ePSXe thanks to all of the shader options.

Awakened

Has anyone had any issues with the PSP core (PPSSPP)?

Im getting the error message...

Failed to load ppge_atlas.zim

I have downloaded the standalone PSPS emulator and copied the ppsspp folder to the 'Content' folder (this has replaced the system folder now right??) in the RA directory and then pointed the PSP core to this folder in the Settings>Directory>'SYS/BIOS Dir'

but im still getting this error message, any ideas?
That file needs to be in "<systemfolder>\PPSSPP". There's also a "flash0" folder with fonts in it from standalone PPSSPP's assets folder you need to copy there to get fonts to show up in certain games.
I JUST got this installed and have started playing with it in the last day or two

is there a more elegant way to load a "default" config?

I saved my config, went to the config folder and pulling that one out and overwriting the default .cfg in the root folder

All I did was map a controller and set a default directory where the roms exist but is there a better option than the above?
You don't need to manually save configs from the menu if you only use one config. By default, the "Save Configuration on Exit" setting should be on, which means anything you change in the menu will save to retroarch.cfg and be loaded next time to start RA.
are there other skins for retroarch as well? the salmon color (from memory so I could be wrong) is kinda plain
There's a menu wallpaper setting where you can choose any PNG to be your background.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I can't figure out how to use this to run PS1 games.

Top Bottom