• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Lettuce

You know in the MAME core, when you press the left trigger it brings the MAME menu....How do I disable that?

More often than not I hit it by accident so I'd like to complete remove it from the controller and leave it just to the TAB button.

Damn that still hasnt been sorted out, been over a year since i tried Mame core and gace up on it down to issues like that, very annoying

Awakened

You know in the MAME core, when you press the left trigger it brings the MAME menu....How do I disable that?

More often than not I hit it by accident so I'd like to complete remove it from the controller and leave it just to the TAB button.
In the MAME menu go into Input (general), User Interface and map Config Menu to something else. I use Q.

nkarafo

I'd like to ask, is the Atari Jaguar core broken? I tried a few games and all crash except Wolf 3D (which is glitched anyway). Doom also crashes the program although in the compatibility list it's reported that it works (with a core option enabled).

Is there an older version of the core we can test maybe?

Radius4

@Awakened added a new feature, you can now save core options for a particular game directly from core options, and it will use those automatically (as long as the setting is enabled under configurations), it should help with those cores that ask for initian/last scanlines and stuff like that, let me know.
It's not perfect, you'll end up with all the core options from the main file but only the modified ones will be applied so it should fullfill the purpose just fine, the endgame is to avoid having to do manual maintenance of config files anyway.

BTW, after the initial creation it will always use the correct core options file.

Awakened

@Awakened added a new feature, you can now save core options for a particular game directly from core options, and it will use those automatically (as long as the setting is enabled under configurations), it should help with those cores that ask for initian/last scanlines and stuff like that, let me know.
It's not perfect, you'll end up with all the core options from the main file but only the modified ones will be applied so it should fullfill the purpose just fine, the endgame is to avoid having to do manual maintenance of config files anyway.

BTW, after the initial creation it will always use the correct core options file.
That will be useful. Mine are all setup manually, so it'll take some time for me to switch over.

Radius4

Yeah once the initial setup is done I guess moving over is more problematic...
I wonder if I should have done the same for cores, although being core options they were always "per-core" but for cleanliness.

Next week I'll try to make all the filenames (for overrides, remaps, core options) to be created lowercase, it shouldn't affect you if you're on windows but it would make creation on systems with case sensitive filesystems easier.

Awakened

Yeah once the initial setup is done I guess moving over is more problematic...
I wonder if I should have done the same for cores, although being core options they were always "per-core" but for cleanliness.

Next week I'll try to make all the filenames (for overrides, remaps, core options) to be created lowercase, it shouldn't affect you if you're on windows but it would make creation on systems with case sensitive filesystems easier.
I updated to today's nightly, moved the core option stuff from my override files into .opt files and they're read and written to just fine :)

Yesterday I decided to get a media PC for my living room and put RetroArch on it. It's indeed fantastic!

However, I'm having an issue that seems to pop up all over the place but none of the info I've found online helped me solve it -- PC Engine CD games don't seem to work.

I'm using the latest stable version, running on Windows 8.1. The game comes in BIN/CUE format. Once I select a core (I tried mednafen_pce_fast_libretro and the one with SuperGrafx support I can't find the exact name of right now) and open the CUE file (which contains the correct information, I even shortened the filenames to something easier to digest like DracX.BIN and DracX.CUE), RetroArch just crashes. Standard Hu Card games work, by the way.

I tried putting syscard3.pce in a number of different places, but no directory (a lot of people recommend putting it into the \SYSTEM\ subdirectory in the RetroArch folder, which -- funnily enough -- is also empty in the build I have) seems to be the "correct" one.

One curious thing, though: Once I pull up the core information, it tells me syscard3.pce is missing. Maybe the version I have isn't the correct one? Is there anyone of you who's having luck with PCE CD emulation and could tell me what config they're using? Thanks a lot!

Should I maybe try the RetroArch nightlies and what's the safest way to update to them? Again, thanks for any help!

Awakened

I tried putting syscard3.pce in a number of different places, but no directory (a lot of people recommend putting it into the \SYSTEM\ subdirectory in the RetroArch folder, which -- funnily enough -- is also empty in the build I have) seems to be the "correct" one.

One curious thing, though: Once I pull up the core information, it tells me syscard3.pce is missing. Maybe the version I have isn't the correct one? Is there anyone of you who's having luck with PCE CD emulation and could tell me what config they're using? Thanks a lot!

Should I maybe try the RetroArch nightlies and what's the safest way to update to them? Again, thanks for any help!
Check in your Directory settings and make sure the System Dir is pointing to the folder you have syscard3.pce in. The most compatible system card is the Japanese Super CD-ROM System v3.0. That version is needed for certain games like Nexzr. You can use either core; the only difference between them is that the SuperGrafx core can also run SuperGrafx games (but it's missing scanline cropping core options).

You can generally just copy the latest retroarch.exe from the buildbot over your old one to update. Sometimes you need to update the assets folder and the dll's in the base folder, but not too often. Cores can be updated with the built in core downloader.

Thanks, Awakened, that might just be it! I was thinking of doing this but couldn't find the settings allowing me to set the directory. I'm gonna try again once I got home, I'm still used to the Wii version whose menu is structured a bit differently.

Can someone explain save states and battery saves to me? It seems that since I am loading from a save state I can't save to battery or memory card. I save to a memory card from a game's menu, I quit the game, i come back, the save state loads, but there's no save on the memory card. Even when a save state saves after i save to a memory card, there's still no existence of it within the game, the system, or in the file structure of .retroarch or the save folder that holds the srm files for memory card saves. Do save states and memory cards just conflict?

Platy

Can someone please explain to me in very simple and understandable steps how to OPEN retroarch on a 32 bit Windows 7 on an old PC ?

OP says to use the Nightly builds but on
http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/
Are "redist_x86" that don't have a single exe file and only .dll files.

When I try to grab the stable version crashes instantly after the DOS like window opens a new one. Droping nightly files into the stable folder crashes the same way.
Tryed both 1.2.1 and 1.2.2

I must be missing something ridiculously obvious

The wii version was so easy =(

Radius4

I said this already, the Windows 32 bit builds weren't available. And I said I'll fix them.
Anyway, had a few minutes so I fixed them, download retroarch.7z and good to go.

I didn't fix the XP build yet.

Lettuce

Im not sure what the issue is, i got to set the key binds for the pad (which is detected as Wireless controller) when i get to setting the d-pad keys instead of it being pad buttons it lists as keypad 2,4,6,and 8 so basically the arrow keys on the keypad on the keyboard, i can get around this but just skipping these d-pad binds as it seem to detect these buttons from default so that not too bad...but this not acting like it should do.

When i actually load a core (bsnes) the key binds i just set are all mess up and not at all what i previously set them as, i then have to go back into key binds and set the buttons all over again but once i have done this the 'z' and 'x' keys on the keyboard to access and exit menus in the RGUI stop working.....im guess the pad binds have over written these for some reason!??. I just dont have a clue what on earth is going on!?

Are you using overrides or remaps or something?
Also, you firmware is oooooold, proof of that is that the controller is mapping the dpad as the keyboard numpad buttons, from 2.52 up it maps them as actual axes.

On my firmware, the NES30, SNES30 and SFC30 are recognized as Blueetooth Wireless Controller

Screenshot%202015-11-11%2020.29.17.png

Hmm i think this issue could be related to Windows 10, what version of windows are you using?

As i have noticed in 'Device & Printers' The 8BitDo pad has a keyboard and mouse icon, yet its labelled as '8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad', so it would seem Windows 10 may think its a keyboard!?

Platy

I said this already, the Windows 32 bit builds weren't available. And I said I'll fix them.
Anyway, had a few minutes so I fixed them, download retroarch.7z and good to go.

I didn't fix the XP build yet.

Sorry, I think I didn't saw the post ... I will try right away and come back with anything, thanks !

edit : same bug as the stable version .... but I saw that my pc has some windows update problems ... will try to solve to see if there is any change
edit : fixed the windows update and .... still same problem, instant "this problem did something wrong and must be closed" when the Retroarch window appear after the small DOS like loading.

Is there any log or anything I can send to help ?

Radius4

Hmm i think this issue could be related to Windows 10, what version of windows are you using?

As i have noticed in 'Device & Printers' The 8BitDo pad has a keyboard and mouse icon, yet its labelled as '8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad', so it would seem Windows 10 may think its a keyboard!?

I'm still running 8.1

Sorry, I think I didn't saw the post ... I will try right away and come back with anything, thanks !

edit : same bug as the stable version .... but I saw that my pc has some windows update problems ... will try to solve to see if there is any change
edit : fixed the windows update and .... still same problem, instant "this problem did something wrong and must be closed" when the Retroarch window appear after the small DOS like loading.

Is there any log or anything I can send to help ?

uh, works here in windows 7 x86.
Make sure you install directx9

Platy

uh, works here in windows 7 x86.
Make sure you install directx9

I have DirectX 11 on a Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bits ("6.1, compilation 7601" according to dxdialog)

Tryed to install directx9 trough offline install but nothing changed

Maybe it is one of those crazy D3DX libraries that every steam game instal ...or it is just my old notebook falling to pieces like some bug deleted a DLL that RetroArch needed... I will keep an eye on this thread, try new versions or worst case scenario when I take courage to format this.... or instal every possible steam game on this notebook that barely runs anything heavier than Half Life 2 xD

Radius4

Well idk, I only tested on x86 on a work computer, noone has those anymore... sucks that it doesn't work though. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Lettuce

Ok, i have found out the issue.

If you power on with START button, the D-Pad acts as keyboard arrow keys. You have to power on with, START+R, then the D-Pad acts as x-Axis/y-Axis, like a normal pad would.

Not sure why they dont have the d-pad acting as x and y axis for the default power on mehtod (just Start button) for Bluetooth mode and there's no mention of Start+R mode anywhere in the online manual

Rick74

Neo Member

If you power on with START button, the D-Pad acts as keyboard arrow keys. You have to power on with, START+R, then the D-Pad acts as x-Axis/y-Axis, like a normal pad would.

Not sure why they dont have the d-pad acting as x and y axis for the default power on mehtod (just Start button) for Bluetooth mode and there's no mention of Start+R mode anywhere in the online manual

100% agree

Radius4

Actually this is not true since firmware 2.52.
At 2.52 they removed the arrow behavior and now the d-pad acts as such.

If you connect the controller via USB it should be listed as NES30 Joystick (I can check the name for the SFC pad too, it's charging now, but I already tested this when I first bought the pads)
nes30%20joystick.gif

The Start+R mode was the solution on the original firmware yes but it's no longer needed unless via BT.
Maybe your controller didn't upgrade correctly or something but I've sold about 15 of these to my buddies and they all work like this.

Edit:
Actually I just remembered I explained this in the autoconf profile for these on RetroArch:
#This is the 8BitDo FC30/SFC30 in PC Controller mode via BT
#Needs firmware 2.62 and boot with Start + R

Lettuce

Actually this is not true since firmware 2.52.
At 2.52 they removed the arrow behavior and now the d-pad acts as such.

If you connect the controller via USB it should be listed as NES30 Joystick (I can check the name for the SFC pad too, it's charging now, but I already tested this when I first bought the pads)
nes30%20joystick.gif

The Start+R mode was the solution on the original firmware yes but it's no longer needed.
Maybe your controller didn't upgrade correctly.

I talking about using the pad in Bluetooth mode, not with a USB cable, if i use a usb cable then it indeed works as intended, just not in bluetooth mode!

Highwind

Has the latest RetroArch nightly stopped working properly or people on Windows 10?

Downloaded a fresh copy yesterday night and when I open it nothing happens, the loading circle just keeps spinning. Doesn't appear as a process in Task Manager even though it's running and I can't use a 3rd party program to kill the process.

Radius4

It's the second time I read this, but it's still working fine on other windows versions so something must have changed on windows again.

Two months ago they broke xinput.

Highwind

It's the second time I read this, but it's still working fine on other windows versions so something must have changed on windows again.

Two months ago they broke xinput.

There is another Windows 10 Machine in the house so I'll try it on there to see if it was anything I might have done to break it.

Edit - I tested it on another Windows 10 machine with a fresh copy I downloaded a few minutes ago and the same thing happened so it has to be a Windows 10 fault.

Awakened

There is another Windows 10 Machine in the house so I'll try it on there to see if it was anything I might have done to break it.

Edit - I tested it on another Windows 10 machine with a fresh copy I downloaded a few minutes ago and the same thing happened so it has to be a Windows 10 fault.
There was a small KB update I installed last night, but I grabbed today's 64bit nightly and didn't have any problems launching into a game. I don't use insider builds on this PC though. If there's a new one of those there could be a problem in that.

welly_59

Neo Member
just downloaded but having major problems navigating the menus. it appears to be running at some crazy fps and its skipping past options. ie if i press down it takes me down about 6/7 positions in the menu

Highwind

Downloaded the full nightly and tried running it on another Windows 10 machine (this was a version before the november update) and it spat out a d3dx9.dll, which I resolved but then it spat out a 0xc000007b error, which I couldn't fixed. Decided to update that laptop to the November version and it still wouldn't load.

Dunno what's up tbh. The other machines don't even open and display a message, they just run as a process I can't even see or close. Guess I am not playing RetroArch for a while lol. :(

Burai

shitonmychest57
Fixed it. Global vsync settings in crimson were overriding the ones in retroarch

What exactly did you change to fix it? The only way I can get it to stop being choppy is disable v-sync completely in Crimson but then I get tearing.

I just want my v-sync back as it was.

Knurek

Has the current implementation of SGB support in BSNES been changed in any way in the last few months?
Last time I tried it required command line arguments (no RGUI support) and didn't support savestates/rewind at all.

Alternatively, is there a GB core that supports SGB borders and color palletes?

Highwind

After a PC reset and reinstall of Directx 9, finally got this working.

God dammit. x_x

Edit - Turns out it might have been Avast blocking it from running.

Anyone using Avast should update it to the newest version, otherwise Retroarch won't run.

does anyone knows how to fix this?
I saw that some stuff was getting cut out, and deactivated the overscan on the video menu, but i see that garbage at the left side... It doesnt suppose to look like that :(

does anyone knows how to fix this?

I saw that some stuff was getting cut out, and deactivated the overscan on the video menu, but i see that garbage at the left side... It doesnt suppose to look like that :(

That's how a lot of NES games were programmed. Overscan was assumed.

Aeana

Well, if Nestopia doesn't show it then it's clipping the side purposefully. It's true that the games were designed with overscan in mind.

Well, if Nestopia doesn't show it then it's clipping the side purposefully. It's true that the games were designed with overscan in mind.

Nestopia works as it should, it was the quicknes core that showed the problem. There is a wiki were it says a list of games that have graphics glitches like that in quicknes. Nestopia is the most compatible nes core.

lazygecko

I'm also having the insane framerate problem whenever Retroarch switches to full screen. It sets my refresh rate to something insane like 1100hz. Doesn't matter if I manually change it in the settings since the problem resets every time. How do I solve this as a Geforce user?

I have tried force-disabling global VSync in the nVidia control panel, and I've tried to set the refresh rate to 60 in the .cfg file, but the menus still get such a high framerate that navigating them are practically impossible. I'm really at my wit's end here.

Top Bottom