• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Platy

Managed to make Retroarch to work on my crap notebook .... trough steam streaming xD

...and them discovered that most of the arcade roms I have are crap =P
At least some of them are good so I can see the problem is not Final Burn or Mame

Ok, I think I've finally got retroarch setup to as good as its going to get for a while. other than MAME, as I understand it, MAME still isn't setup to scan and have it work right? I know I can launch games from just going through the directory but finding a game is hard when you are dealing with file names like "av2mj2rg" and the like.

Does anyone think we'll get to a point on the PC where there is a emulator/front end anywhere near as good as the Xport emulators from a decade+ ago on the original Xbox? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1oanX8ZwM

Awakened

Does anyone think we'll get to a point on the PC where there is a emulator/front end anywhere near as good as the Xport emulators from a decade+ ago on the original Xbox? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1oanX8ZwM
You can do some really nice stuff with RetroFE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Gk_XwGMK4

Lately I've been using Steam with the grid view as my launcher though. It's faster to navigate with categories and the search. And I made grid images for all my games that look pretty nice.

which MAME core do you guys use? i can't get any of them to work.

also, is there a way to change the default config for every single NES game in the nestopia core? I'm using a 360 controller and I want every game to use X/A as opposed to A/B.

Radius4

Load a Game, open the menu, Core Input Options do your thing, Save Core Remap
You might have to enable "Load Remaps automatically" under settings/config for it to apply automatically

Load a Game, open the menu, Core Input Options do your thing, Save Core Remap
You might have to enable "Load Remaps automatically" under settings/config for it to apply automatically

that did it! for some reason i had to quit/reopen a few times for the load remaps setting to save.

edit: still can't get MAME cores to work =(

Dizzy-4U

For 2D you want to keep native res and a shader that doesn't upscale, something like GTU, you can tweak GTU to be less blurry too.

For 3d I think I'll just use an antialiasing shader.
That makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

edit: still can't get MAME cores to work =(
Do you have the mame folder structure inside your system folder? Like this:

lVhQFe0.png

Also, don't quote on this but I think you need the mame bios files in the same directory where your roms are. So, for example if you're trying to play Garou Mark of the Wolves, you need the neogeo.zip to be in the same folder.

what gamegear shader do you guys use? I want to use the handheld border 5x one, but the game doesn't scale properly. how can I adjust the scale so that the game displays inside of the gamegear overlay correctly?

That makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Do you have the mame folder structure inside your system folder? Like this:

lVhQFe0.png

Also, don't quote on this but I think you need the mame bios files in the same directory where your roms are. So, for example if you're trying to play Garou Mark of the Wolves, you need the neogeo.zip to be in the same folder.

i do not, i will try that.

I just discovered RetroArch and my mind is blown.

I'm sure it's been covered in this massive thread, so I apologize in advance...But is there an easy way to theme RetroArch?

The core UI is...serviceable...But I'd really like something that scrapes title info, cover art, etc.

I just discovered RetroArch and my mind is blown.

I'm sure it's been covered in this massive thread, so I apologize in advance...But is there an easy way to theme RetroArch?

The core UI is...serviceable...But I'd really like something that scrapes title info, cover art, etc.

i've been using emulationstation. started setting up last night, been having some difficulties but it's well worth it. have it running in steam and it works in big picture mode too. dem shaders tho.

edit: does anyone know why my MadCatz 360 SFxT pad (the one with the Genesis/Saturn layout) isn't working in emulationstation? It doesn't recognize any input from the pad when it tells me that no gamepad is recognized. My regular 360 pad is working fine.

nkarafo

I've only gotten Neo Geo games to work. My mame romset is in 7z and I guess that doesn't work with Retroarch
My 7z collection or roms work fine with MAME in RetroArch. Also, yeah, you need bios files in the same folder as your roms. At least this is how i use MAME all these years.

i've been using emulationstation. started setting up last night, been having some difficulties but it's well worth it. have it running in steam and it works in big picture mode too. dem shaders tho.

edit: does anyone know why my MadCatz 360 SFxT pad (the one with the Genesis/Saturn layout) isn't working in emulationstation? It doesn't recognize any input from the pad when it tells me that no gamepad is recognized. My regular 360 pad is working fine.

What kinda problems are you encountering? Has it been worth the trouble? Is it a fragile environment that runs the risk of breaking as RetroArch gets upgraded?

Radius4

RetroArch nightlies are perfectly safe, you can just replace the exe.
Even configs, I have my basic config since 0.99

Worst case scenario, backup the exe and the config, get just the bare update, if it has problems roll-back

nkarafo

Looks like RetroArch + LaunchBox is the way to go for me. This video summed it up rather well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeozvnb_-eI

They also have a "Big Box" mode for HTPCs / couch gaming.
Yeah but that will cost you 20$ or something

RetroArch nightlies are perfectly safe, you can just replace the exe.
Even configs, I have my basic config since 0.99

Worst case scenario, backup the exe and the config, get just the bare update, if it has problems roll-back
You mean the config in the root folder where the exe is? Or the one in the "config" folder?

Also, will the core configs work after i replace the exe?

For every update i made so far, i also set everything up from the start :(

Arkanius

Guys I need help.

I have a Gsync Monitor and I want to take advantage of both 120hz refresh rate and Gsync.

I enabled Black Frame Insertion to allow me to reduce motion blur by introducing a black frame every other frame, but I have severe blinking most of the time with a black frame staying longer than it should have.

For enabling Gsync, I just have to be sure any kind of Vsync is off inside RetroArch right?

Should I keep audio sync?

Radius4

Yeah but that will cost you 20$ or something

You mean the config in the root folder where the exe is? Or the one in the "config" folder?

Also, will the core configs work after i replace the exe?

For every update i made so far, i also set everything up from the start :(

There is ONE config. If there is another in the config folder then idk.
I have mine on the config folder indeed but only because I load with -c config\retroarch.cfg.

Core configs? I need more context to respond to this, overrides? core options? per-core configurations?. Anyway, yes if you just replace the exe it should just work. That's why I made the dated nightlies include just the exe.

Holy Crap.... I installed Launch Box and played a bit with it, then bought the premium version and launched Big Box mode..... This is EXACTLY what I've been wanting for years! I can finally unhook my old modded xbox and play games on my PC. Anyone who wants a nice clean interface (unlike Hyperspins God awful themes and unhelpful community) get Launchbox and set it up along with Retroarch and you have the best PC frontend for emulators ever. Geez, I can't believe it took this long to get something like this, but man, it's so worth it!

Shaneus

Holy Crap.... I installed Launch Box and played a bit with it, then bought the premium version and launched Big Box mode..... This is EXACTLY what I've been wanting for years! I can finally unhook my old modded xbox and play games on my PC. Anyone who wants a nice clean interface (unlike Hyperspins God awful themes and unhelpful community) get Launchbox and set it up along with Retroarch and you have the best PC frontend for emulators ever. Geez, I can't believe it took this long to get something like this, but man, it's so worth it!
I've been looking at the website as well and am really impressed with it. And given it started as a frontend for DOSbox I'm confident it will hook into that (and my GOG collection) nicely. Can't wait to start tinkering with it.

nkarafo

Core configs? I need more context to respond to this, overrides? core options? per-core configurations?. Anyway, yes if you just replace the exe it should just work. That's why I made the dated nightlies include just the exe.
Per-core configurations.

But yeah, didn't know the dated nightlies include only the exe. So that's nice. Thanks for the reply.

i need some help dear experts....

is there a reason i can't save the configuration for retroarch? i keep changing settings to go full screen, change from gl to d3d and vsync, etc..
it just reverts back to default.
also, i have my cores set up, retroarch sees my roms but when i try to launch a game it crashes back to desktop.

any ideas?

nkarafo

Ok so i tried the new Reicast core. At first all i was getting was a black screen and the sound of DC's bios. I could even navigate through the DC menu (i was hearing the sound of the selector) but the screen was black. So i updated the core. Now i only get a black screen without any sound this time.

I suppose it's too early to expect anything from this core?

Radius4

Ok so i tried the new Reicast core. At first all i was getting was a black screen and the sound of DC's bios. I could even navigate through the DC menu (i was hearing the sound of the selector) but the screen was black. So i updated the core. Now i only get a black screen without any sound this time.

I suppose it's too early to expect anything from this core?

Yes but it's still a bit difficult to get it working, you need the bios in a DC folder inside system dir and set HW shared context to on.

The setting is under settings/core

nkarafo

The setting is under settings/core
Well, the problem is that i only get a black screen and the UI is also affected. So i can't change anything through it. Is there something i can add to the cfg file? I have different cfgs per core.

Thanks for the replies

Whenever I select a dreamcast game, it loads up the Dreamcast dashboard and act like the game is an audio CD. and if you go to play, it'll say insert disc. Any ideas? Do the Dreamcast games need to be in a specific format?

Hmmm ok, some of my games work, and some don't. Oh well, on another note....

After playing around with LaunchBox for about 5 minutes and then purchasing premium, I've been trying to import my games. I've got the newest No-Intro set (from about 5 days ago), but what bothers me is the fact that they have European,Japanese,Prototypes and other versions of games all thrown in there too. Is there a way you guys sort out these games with a program or something? I'm wanting to get a full US set, but I don't want to scroll through 900+ games to delete some random prototypes or something. Also is there a site that actually lists a number of released games for each region and each system? If I google How many US games for X system, Its pretty hard to get a simple number.

Need some context, platform, install location, etc

i'm running windows 10 64bit, latest stable release of retroarch and emulationstation
they are loaded under the user directory
i've got the no-intro roms (only select ones right now, testing it with nes, snes, genesys, and pc-engine)

like i said, it's strange that the settings don't keep. regardless if i make them in the retroarch UI or edit the .cfg file directly... somehow it goes back to default.

the roms are zipped at this point (should they not be?) NES games as well as Atari Lynx games crash retroarch right away

another strange thing i noticed is the working roms will ask what emulator core i want to use but the ones that crash retro don't show a core to use (even though i have them)

Radius4

i'm running windows 10 64bit, latest stable release of retroarch and emulationstation
they are loaded under the user directory
i've got the no-intro roms (only select ones right now, testing it with nes, snes, genesys, and pc-engine)

like i said, it's strange that the settings don't keep. regardless if i make them in the retroarch UI or edit the .cfg file directly... somehow it goes back to default.

the roms are zipped at this point (should they not be?) NES games as well as Atari Lynx games crash retroarch right away

another strange thing i noticed is the working roms will ask what emulator core i want to use but the ones that crash retro don't show a core to use (even though i have them)

No-intro nes roms from the latest sets don't work on several emulators, no-intro went full derp and removed the headers, you need to readd them.
About the cfg, no clue, it creates a config by default in the working dir. If it's not creating it, maybe you need escalation to write to the location.

Zipped roms should be fine.

Radius4

Yeah windows 10 messing with that an radeonpro, I'm not happy.
To disable it, reenable the setting, then load a game and press windows-g and disable it from there

Awakened

Oh, ok. I used the have the guide button to exit but Windows 10 decided to hijack it for some reason even though I disabled all the xbox stuff on my pc.
After the November update you have to enable GameDVR in the Xbox app, open the DVR overlay with Win+G (say "yes it's a game" to let it open) then go to settings and disable opening the overlay with the guide button. Now you can use that button in any program again and turn GameDVR back off if you want.

Edit: Beaten!

Radius4

I still have some weird issue, sometimes the G key is "locked" I can't press it, I have to press windows g a couple of times to free it, it's really really annoying

I've been trying to come up with a list of the best cores to use for Retroarch and I'm stumped on some of them. This is what I have so far, does anyone else have any suggestions on what are the best to use or can help me fill in some of the gaps so I can get back to playing some old games?

Atari 2600 - Stella
Atari 5200 -
Atari Lynx -
Atari Jaguar - Virtual Jaguar
Intellivision -
ColecoVision -
Commodore 64 -
NES - Nestopia UE
SNES - Bnes Accuracy
Nintendo 64 - Mupen64Plus
GameBoy - Gamebatte
GameBoy Color - Gamebatte
GameBoy Advance - VBA Next
Nintendo DS - DeSmuME
Sega Genesis - Genesis GX Plus
Sega CD -
Sega Game Gear -
Sega Dreamcast - Reicast
Sega Saturn - Yabause
Sony Playstation - Mednafen PSX
NEC TurboGraFX 16 -
MAME - MAME 2015 (Uses 0.157 Romset) Not sure if anything supporst 0.169 yet
Final Burn Alpha - FBA SVN

Radius4

For Sega CD/GG/Master System, the same as Genesis
For TurboGrafx 16 / PCE Engine / PCE Engine CD / SuperGrafx Mednafen PCE fast

Knurek

I'd argue that mGBA can better for Gameboy Advance.

Also, BSNES Accuracy is an overkill for anything other than Air Strike Patrol. Use BSNES Balanced.

Also, also, take note that Gambatte doesn't support SGB borders/enhancements, if you want them you need to use BSNES alongside 1.0.0.2 Retroarch, since the current implementation is kind of wonky (doesn't support savestates).

darksunpr

I need a little help here. After paring and key binding my 8bitdo sfc30 some times when I press start, it also appears to receive the input of down on the dpad. I tried doing the key binding a million times and still the same. Also this problem only occurs in retroarch.

Radius4

Always, always, always state your platform.
The 8bitdo controllers are a bit finicky on stock firmware, try updating their firmware.

TBH never had this particular issue (I resell these pads in my country)

No-intro nes roms from the latest sets don't work on several emulators, no-intro went full derp and removed the headers, you need to readd them.
About the cfg, no clue, it creates a config by default in the working dir. If it's not creating it, maybe you need escalation to write to the location.

Zipped roms should be fine.

still not having any luck with this darn thing.. i'm on windows 10 64bit.. could that be the problem? do i need to try it on win7?

Top Bottom