• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Since the OP has basically abandon this thread and it seems RetroArch has gone some significant changes... can someone PLEASE post a setup guide? I'm completely lost on what cores should be used for all the different systems, since there are like five for NES and SNES each. Also, I have no clue on where to get the cool looking filters like in the OP or how to set them up properly or box art or anything else for that matter. I can get games to run and all that, but beyond simple setup of playing a game, scanning directories and all that is very hard for me to understand. Also I heard that No-intro is the romset that you use for Retroarch, but they are in 7z and from what I remember 7z wasn't supported, correct?

vanty

Is there a simple way of setting up an arcade stick for Neo Games? The input settings are set up for a SNES controller which has been perfectly fine for the NES and SNES games that I've played before but now I have the Neo Geo Humble Bundle and was just having a brain freeze trying to sort out my sticks buttons to SNES-Retroarch buttons to Neo Geo-emulator buttons and it seemed that time consuming trial and error was the only option before I gave up for the moment.

If any of that makes any sense ahah

Also I was using the fb_alpha_neo core (I know nothing about Neo Geo stuff so I don't know if that's the best option) and there's no "core input remapping options" is that normal?

Awakened

Is there a simple way of setting up an arcade stick for Neo Games? The input settings are set up for a SNES controller which has been perfectly fine for the NES and SNES games that I've played before but now I have the Neo Geo Humble Bundle and was just having a brain freeze trying to sort out my sticks buttons to SNES-Retroarch buttons to Neo Geo-emulator buttons and it seemed that time consuming trial and error was the only option before I gave up for the moment.

If any of that makes any sense ahah

Also I was using the fb_alpha_neo core (I know nothing about Neo Geo stuff so I don't know if that's the best option) and there's no "core input remapping options" is that normal?
You could try one of the normal FBA cores and see if they have button labels and core remapping when a game is loaded. I think the _neo core is a stripped down version optimized for running Neo Geo games on slow platforms like the Wii.

vanty

You could try one of the normal FBA cores and see if they have button labels and core remapping when a game is loaded. I think the _neo core is a stripped down version optimized for running Neo Geo games on slow platforms like the Wii.

Regular FBA does have core remapping and stuff but the inputs are 6-button. Then I went into the main input settings and somehow up and down on my keyboard no longer work and there doesn't seem to be any 'reset to default' option.

So there's nothing like "Ok this core has a directional stick, four buttons, start button and insert coin - press for each now" option I'm assuming?

Awakened

Regular FBA does have core remapping and stuff but the inputs are 6-button. Then I went into the main input settings and somehow up and down on my keyboard no longer work and there doesn't seem to be any 'reset to default' option.

So there's nothing like "Ok this core has a directional stick, four buttons, start button and insert coin - press for each now" option I'm assuming?
Start is the "reset to default option button" in all RA settings menus.

Directional stick and start are easy since they map to the dpad and start button on the SNES style layout RetroPad uses. Select is insert coin. I guess if you don't have specific labels, you have to figure out how the Neo Geo's ABCD map to SNES ABXY by trial and error and translate that to your stick.

Radius4

No there is no implementation for that sort of remapping, but the new fba core should have you covered.
It has 3 layouts for neogeo AND remapping,so, most likely one will suit you.

Knurek

No there is no implementation for that sort of remapping, but the new fba core should have you covered.
It has 3 layouts for neogeo AND remapping,so, most likely one will suit you.

I have a weird bug to report for the new FBA core.
Capcom's The King of Dragons crashes at end of Stage 1.
Does happen only with FBA SVN (fba_libretro.dll). The old FBA core is fine (fb_alpha_libretro.dll).

vanty

core options

Am I doing something wrong here? All I can do is switch between gamepad and arcade and they seem to be exactly the same.

vOpV2PG.png

vanty

Got it working now thanks. Became easy when I realised the Retropad/SNES buttons are just the A-B and X-Y reverse of the 360 buttons.

Lettuce

So is there a snes core that has a feature to increase the cpu clockspeed to reduce slow down in games??

I was bought up on PAL snes games and the slow down on those games was no where near as bad as those found on the NTSC counter parts, so playing these ntsc version back and seeing the slow down is brutal on some games where there just wasn't any slow down on the PAL version

hutna

Has anyone got this working on an Android TV? I have a Sony set with Android TV and was looking to try Retroarch on it; any tips would be appreciated.

Radius4

Works fine on my Shield ATV (sideloaded) all controllers work out of the box but some guy has a Sony Bravia ATV and can't get his USB controllers to work, I'd like to know about this too.

Eila

So is there a snes core that has a feature to increase the cpu clockspeed to reduce slow down in games??

I was bought up on PAL snes games and the slow down on those games was no where near as bad as those found on the NTSC counter parts, so playing these ntsc version back and seeing the slow down is brutal on some games where there just wasn't any slow down on the PAL version

I have not heard of such thing for the SNES. That would be kind of fantastic for games like Castlevania IV.
I do know there's some emulators that do that for N64 games.

Knurek

!WARNING!
Current BSNES core available from buildbot (v096) is broken - does not load ROMS at all.
Stay with v094 until whatever's broken gets fixed.

Crashes just before the [bsnes]: XML map part in v094 core, if that's of any help.

nkarafo

Is there a way to see what cores have new versions available through the updater? When i go to the updater i don't see which versions i have and what version is online. So in order to update my cores i have to re-download all and then hope that a few cores will be updated (and i won't know which ones unless i write down the versions i had somewhere).

Also, from the first day i started using RA, i still can't make MESS to work. Whenever i browse the ROM path, it appears empty. All my directories to bios files, and roms are correct.

The MESS guide in the libretro site says that it needs the softlist roms. But that doesn't make sense to me. All the other frontends i use (Hyperspin, RocketLauncher, Quickplay, LaunchBox) load the roms i have fine through MESS. RocketLauncher even loads the MESS core successfully without softilsts. It's only RetroArch that has this problem. And renaming all my roms to the softlist standard would mean that all my media files connected to them would have to be renamed too (which makes this whole thing pointless really)

Where does one go for help setting this thing up? The official wiki does not have any sort of "getting started" guide. I tried setting this up on my mac yesterday and it would not read my controller, and whenever I'd try to load a rom through Open Content it just sat there.

SNES9X reads my controller just fine but it seems like El Capitan broke it...

Radius4

!WARNING!
Current BSNES core available from buildbot (v096) is broken - does not load ROMS at all.
Stay with v094 until whatever's broken gets fixed.

Crashes just before the [bsnes]: XML map part in v094 core, if that's of any help.

Yes it's known, hopefully it can be fixed soon

Is there a way to see what cores have new versions available through the updater? When i go to the updater i don't see which versions i have and what version is online. So in order to update my cores i have to re-download all and then hope that a few cores will be updated (and i won't know which ones unless i write down the versions i had somewhere).

Also, from the first day i started using RA, i still can't make MESS to work. Whenever i browse the ROM path, it appears empty. All my directories to bios files, and roms are correct.

The MESS guide in the libretro site says that it needs the softlist roms. But that doesn't make sense to me. All the other frontends i use (Hyperspin, RocketLauncher, Quickplay, LaunchBox) load the roms i have fine through MESS. RocketLauncher even loads the MESS core successfully without softilsts. It's only RetroArch that has this problem. And renaming all my roms to the softlist standard would mean that all my media files connected to them would have to be renamed too (which makes this whole thing pointless really)

Regarding the core updater, it's kind of difficult to implement, it's a good idea, we have a few things planned for the updater in the future.

Regarding MESS, other launchers are just launchers. The MESS core in RetroArch is different. Not sure what you mean with RocketLauncher core. RocketLauncher is just a program that runs standalone MESS, not really a valid comparison.

Where does one go for help setting this thing up? The official wiki does not have any sort of "getting started" guide. I tried setting this up on my mac yesterday and it would not read my controller, and whenever I'd try to load a rom through Open Content it just sat there.

SNES9X reads my controller just fine but it seems like El Capitan broke it...

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/getting-started-with-retroarch/
I wrote a guide recently hopefully it gets you there

nkarafo

Regarding MESS, other launchers are just launchers. The MESS core in RetroArch is different. Not sure what you mean with RocketLauncher core. RocketLauncher is just a program that runs standalone MESS, not really a valid comparison.
Let me explain because i admit, this is confusing.

There are two MESS kinds. The RA MESS core and the standalone MESS.

MESS standalone runs with everything (except RetroArch obviously). So it's not an important part of the discussion.

Now, let's say that the only thing that exists is the RA MESS core. This core, i can't make it work with RetroArch itself.

LaunchBox has an option to use RetroArch cores. The MESS core doesn't work there either.

RocketLauncher also has the option to launch RetroArch cores. With it, the MESS core works (for some reason).

So, in other words, if i didn't use RocketLauncher, the MESS core (any version) in RA would be useless to me. It's just weird that RocketLauncher makes these MESS cores work and RetroArch itself can't, even though they were made for it!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Just coming in to rave about how much I love this thing now.

I'd been struggling with getting everything configured nicely, especially controllers, but with a bit of time off I thought "right, this is a project worth seeing through" and figured it out. Got a nice front end now, with all my cores, controllers and shaders configured, and a nice neat directory structure.

This is like, 99% as good as real hardware. Amazing!

Radius4

Let me explain because i admit, this is confusing.

There are two MESS kinds. The RA MESS core and the standalone MESS.

MESS standalone runs with everything (except RetroArch obviously). So it's not an important part of the discussion.

Now, let's say that the only thing that exists is the RA MESS core. This core, i can't make it work with RetroArch itself.

LaunchBox has an option to use RetroArch cores. The MESS core doesn't work there either.

RocketLauncher also has the option to launch RetroArch cores. With it, the MESS core works (for some reason).

So, in other words, if i didn't use RocketLauncher, the MESS core (any version) in RA would be useless to me. It's just weird that RocketLauncher makes these MESS cores work and RetroArch itself can't, even though they were made for it!

You don't have to explain this to me, I made the softlist launcher and the mame/mess/ume guide.
LaunchBox just launches RetroArch, and Rocketlauncher does the same. If any of those work then the core is IN-FACT working in RetroArch.

It's quite simple, you can't launch non-softlist roms from RetroArch GUI, it's impossible because to launch them you have to specify game name, system type, and several media types.

If you don't want to use the softlist romset you have to launch via commandline.

Brhoom

Banned
Guys I need your help, how can I make gameboy and gameboy advance games smaller?

they always display in full screen and I want full screen but for example 3x the native size not stretch to full screen if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Can I also change shader, overlays, and settings during gameplay, I'm using emulationstation btw.

Radius4

Enable integer scale for the former.
For the later, press F1.

Unrelated but related rant: I hate this thing about emulationstation and other launchers, it obscures the application running underneath, people often follow tutorials on emulationstation but they never even see the RetroArch interface so they are not aware it has an actual interface to configure stuff.

Aeana

Speaking of integer scale is there a reason for it to not just be default? Is there any good reason to not use it?

There are some shaders that work pretty well with a non-integer scale, and then you can get a full screen (vertically) image without sacrificing much.

Radius4

Speaking of integer scale is there a reason for it to not just be default? Is there any good reason to not use it?

There are some shaders that work pretty well with a non-integer scale, and then you can get a full screen (vertically) image without sacrificing much.

Yeah above 1080p a lot of shaders can mask the unevenness of black line shaders.
Resolution is not the only factor, but screen size, for instance, some SNES games on the NVIDIA Shiel Portable look tiny with integer scale and the uneven scanlines are noticeable on light backgrounds... so not much can be done there.

My solution is to use a shadowmask/scanline overlay at 20% opacity :)
RetroArch-1228-184314.bmp

Not perfect by any means but looks good on the small display, I plan to change the shader from stock to sharper bi linear later to see if it removes some bluryness

BTW, not sure you guys are aware of this, but this is happening

Radius4

Yes but it's still a bit difficult to get it working, you need the bios in a DC folder inside system dir and set HW shared context to on.

Radius4

it should work fine on older builds but... WHY?
1.2.2 has so many bugs that have been fixed already, you just have to backup your cfg and replace the exe

Awakened

Yes but it's still a bit difficult to get it working, you need the bios in a DC folder inside system dir and set HW shared context to on.
It works for me even if HW shared context is off. There're quite a few graphic issues in this early release, but toggling that on doesn't fix them.

Bangai-O is flickery and the background is missing, but sound wise is quite good:

The core is very WIP, but also very exciting :D. Capcom vs. SNK 2's sprites are fixed in it, which is a big problem in the last release of nullDC.

I'm guessing RetroPad doesn't support analog triggers since L1 and R1 are set as full trigger pull and L2 and R2 are half pull. Maybe the analog triggers can be assigned to up (right trigger) and down (left trigger) on the right stick for acceleration and break in racing games. At least until analog trigger support is added to RetroPad.

Radius4

hmmm LT/RT won't do, that's still digital on retropad.
But there was some talk about assigning it to the right stick, that may be done already, so with an override it could be done for sure.

Making LT/RT analog would require an API bump and my suggestion is to make all the buttons analog.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there a basic scanline filter? A simple black 50% opacity scanline one would be perfect. Something like this.
5k1aFzk.png

Radius4

Well that looks terrible :p it's non-integer scaled, but yeah there is a scanline (shader not filter) on the main shaders directory.

Also you can use an overlay for that, that's what I used on that metroid shot.

gelf

I could probably spend a lifetime working out what filters to use for those fighters with 2D sprites and 3D backgrounds. I doubt I'll ever be satisfied looking for a setup that looks good with both.

Radius4

85ANJCS.gif

Still trying to figure out the best scanlines for the higher internal resolution though.

For 2D you want to keep native res and a shader that doesn't upscale, something like GTU, you can tweak GTU to be less blurry too.

For #d I think I'll just use an antialiasing shader.

Top Bottom