• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

darksunpr

Always, always, always state your platform.
The 8bitdo controllers are a bit finicky on stock firmware, try updating their firmware.

TBH never had this particular issue (I resell these pads in my country)

Sorry. Windows 10. The controller is on the latest firmware.

nkarafo

I had some trouble setting up RA on a friend's computer using the latest nightly versions. There were crashes and the amazing Game Boy shader didn't load properly. So i deleted everything and started fresh with the older stable release and that fixed everything.

I wonder if that's a problem with the computer itself or the nightly releases. He uses Windows 7 SP1 with a 4th gen i5 and a GTX 560 card.

updater-1.gif
when I click Core updater it says downloading index and it seems to mess up like the menu interface starts to overlap each other. Nothing shows up.

zip stick

Loving Retroarch on my Shield TV. The XMB gui is a step in the right direction. Just a shame the rom scanning isnt working with mame or neogeo roms when building the playlists. Would also like a favourites filter. Ive not got the boxart working yet.

KainXVIII

Something wrong with aspect ratio in 1.3.0 (for bsnes/higan at least), what should i choose? Core aspect ratio don't work as intended i think..
Also..Bilinear filtering don't turn off? What the hell?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just bought a BT adapter for my computer (running Win10). My computer syncs with my Wii RemotePlus, but it doesn't seem to be usable. It connects but the four lights continue to blink. If the computer is able to find the controller, does that mean I don't need a different BT stack? I'm kinda lost here, so any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to hook one up so I can use this guy:

HQ6an7D.jpg

Radius4

Something wrong with aspect ratio in 1.3.0 (for bsnes/higan at least), what should i choose? Core aspect ratio don't work as intended i think..

CV0GpPl.png

hmmm make sure you have crop overscan set to off. I like core provided that should result in 4:3, some people like 8:7

Regarding filtering, that option only works if you're not using shaders, otherwise it's up to the shader to decide the filtering in use.

Eila

CV0GpPl.png

You probably want 4:3, but the internal SNES resolution is 8:7, and many devs didn't care at all. They still created their assets to match that aspect ratio and then be stretched when on TV, resulting in things that should obviously be circles become elipses.

KainXVIII

You probably want 4:3, but the internal SNES resolution is 8:7, and many devs didn't care at all. They still created their assets to match that aspect ratio and then be stretched when on TV, resulting in things that should obviously be circles become elipses.

So this is correct aspect ratio (if you played on real console on crt tv)?

This screenshot from 1.2.2 version (looks more natural to me, square with boomerang looks like square, if it was intended like square, i don't know =) )

i started over with retroarch, installed the newly released 1.3 version. is there a benefit to using d3d over gl? if i set it for d3d and re-launch retro it crashes to a black screen. i have to open the .cfg file and put the video setting back to "gl"

running:
i3
intel HD 2000
4GB ddr3
win 10 64bit
dx 11.2 as well as dx9c is installed

Griss

So I just downloaded this for the first time today and it has been a terrible experience so far.

No idea how to load a core (or if they even come included), how to browse for my downloaded ROMs or anything else. Having figured those two things out (I think), I've had 12 straight crashes just trying to load a ROM and every part of the app is buggy. Menu options require 3-4 taps each just to be highlighted. The help section does not work as there is no way of getting rid of the text overlay once you've chosen a help topic.

I see that a new version (1.3) just came out. Have I simply picked a terrible time to jump on board here? Because I heard so much good about this thing, yet I cannot load a single ROM without it crashing.

Are there any tutorials for getting this thing to work correctly? I notice the OP is over two years old.

I'm on a Nexus 5x running Android 6.'whateverthelatestupdateis'.

Radius4

i started over with retroarch, installed the newly released 1.3 version. is there a benefit to using d3d over gl? if i set it for d3d and re-launch retro it crashes to a black screen. i have to open the .cfg file and put the video setting back to "gl"

running:
i3
intel HD 2000
4GB ddr3
win 10 64bit
dx 11.2 as well as dx9c is installed

No benefit at all, can't run GL cores or use the new XMB/GLUI menus, just RGUI

Where can I choose the shaders on the 3ds version?

You can't, shaders aren't supported there

So I just downloaded this for the first time today and it has been a terrible experience so far.

No idea how to load a core (or if they even come included), how to browse for my downloaded ROMs or anything else. Having figured those two things out (I think), I've had 12 straight crashes just trying to load a ROM and every part of the app is buggy. Menu options require 3-4 taps each just to be highlighted. The help section does not work as there is no way of getting rid of the text overlay once you've chosen a help topic.

I see that a new version (1.3) just came out. Have I simply picked a terrible time to jump on board here? Because I heard so much good about this thing, yet I cannot load a single ROM without it crashing.

Are there any tutorials for getting this thing to work correctly? I notice the OP is over two years old.

I'm on a Nexus 5x running Android 6.'whateverthelatestupdateis'.

There is a guide here regarding the basics:
http://www.libretro.com/?p=44582&preview=true

Not sure about your crashing, you need a compatible core and a game to run stuff.
None of use are on Android 6 so that could be related to the issue.

Not sure about the help section stuff, I guess I never actually used it, I'll check it out.

Griss

There is a guide here regarding the basics:
http://www.libretro.com/?p=44582&preview=true

Not sure about your crashing, you need a compatible core and a game to run stuff.
None of use are on Android 6 so that could be related to the issue.

Not sure about the help section stuff, I guess I never actually used it, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the link, it's very helpful. I actually got a SNES game up and running but the crashes persist.

I think I'll wait until there's a more stable build or more people on Android 6.0.1 who could maybe say what's going wrong.

Knurek

It's just idle cpu because it hits a bad codepath on the driver and it doesn't affect in-game performance

Yeah, forgot to mention that. Not your fault as well, I believe it's more of an NVIDIA driver issue...

If you have a noisy fan or bad airflow in case you will notice it though.

nkarafo

I just found out that a new stable version is released.

However, unlike the nightly releases, i don't see a standalone exe pack. Its the whole thing with all the folders, etc.

So my question is, can i just replace the .exe? Or do i have to start fresh again?

Just tested the new Reicast Core on latest RA 1.3.

This is the first time I've tested it on Windows and I must say I was kinda disappointed with it. I thought it was supposed to be NullDC 2.0 when really there hasn't been much changes just running my test game Shenmue 1. The speed is pretty good but there are glitches eveywhere on Ryo's face. I know Reicast is aimed at speed and not accuracy but this is still painful to watch

You can run your games supersampled. Big deal. Demul has been doing that for years now. But yeah that's another alternative I get it But still, I can't help being disappointed.

But yeah, Demul isn't opensource and this is the first DC emulator within RetroArch so all is good

EDIT :

You got it to run? Did you do anything not already mentioned in this thread (BIOS in dc folder in system, HW Shared Context on)?
Yeah I mean no. I did nothing else besides that. Just followed the instructions given here on Reddit and it worked. Just make sure to point RetroArch system folder to your actual 'system' folder. That could be what you missed.

Rufus

You got it to run? Did you do anything not already mentioned in this thread (BIOS in dc folder in system, HW Shared Context on)?

Eila

So this is correct aspect ratio (if you played on real console on crt tv)?

This screenshot from 1.2.2 version (looks more natural to me, square with boomerang looks like square, if it was intended like square, i don't know =) )

Well, I try both in the same game and set what I like best. I do feel a lot of games look sharper 8:7. I have no clue what devs did while working on it, but many games feel stretched on SNES at 4:3.

just got retroarch.diggin it. how do I get that GB shader in the OP?

Looks like dmg-pocket.
After you load a GB rom, press f1 and go (quick menu, should be there already) > Shader Options > Load Shader Preset > shaders_cg > handheld-border > dmg-pocket-shader x 1 to x6, choose one to match your resolution or your liking.
Here's a screenshot at 768p. These shaders generally look better at higher resolutions.

It is quit amazing to be able to play dreamcast games under osx. Thank you to the libretro team.

Do anyobody have a solution how to format the VMS? Currently I can*t save any game progress and I have no access to any windows machine.

Radius4

Just tested the new Reicast Core on latest RA 1.3.

This is the first time I've tested it on Windows and I must say I was kinda disappointed with it. I thought it was supposed to be NullDC 2.0 when really there hasn't been much changes just running my test game Shenmue 1. The speed is pretty good but there are glitches eveywhere on Ryo's face. I know Reicast is aimed at speed and not accuracy but this is still painful to watch

You can run your games supersampled. Big deal. Demul has been doing that for years now. But yeah that's another alternative I get it But still, I can't help being disappointed.

But yeah, Demul isn't opensource and this is the first DC emulator within RetroArch so all is good

EDIT :

Yeah I mean no. I did nothing else besides that. Just followed the instructions given here on Reddit and it worked. Just make sure to point RetroArch system folder to your actual 'system' folder. That could be what you missed.

It's a port of Reicast, it's as good or as bad as Reicast.

Rufus

EDIT :
Huh, still nothing. Just crashes immediately as before. It created VMU files, but that's it.

Oh well, I can wait.

nkarafo

There is something wrong with the later versions of this program. With 1.2.2 i was able to use it with no problems with hyperspin, Launchbox and any other frontend. Now half of my SNES games won't launch. When i try to launch Doom or DKC2 (for instance), the emulator just closes. When i try to launch DKC 1, or EWJ it works. It's completely random which game will work and which not (i'm using BSNES Balanced). When i revert back to the 1.2.2 exe i get no such problems.

If i try to launch from the RetroArch UI, i also get no problems. only happens when i launch retroarch from any other frontend.

Can't figure out what's wrong with it : / Tried many nightly versions from 1.3.0 and up. All have problems except 1.2.2.

Edit: I also tested a nightly version a few days before 1.3.0 stable was released and it works. So i assume something broke after the stable was released?

Another problem is that after 1.2.2 version stable, RA is very slow. With 1.2.2 most emulators work without lag using windowed fullscreen and hard gpu sync. After a few updates they now lag a lot and the only way to fix is to either disable hard gpu sync or use normal fullscreen. I prefer windowed though cause normal fullscreen locks me to 60hz. I have a i5 4670 cpu and a 960 GTX on Windows 7 by the way.

In other words, i'm stuck using 1.2.2 stable because newer versions give me all sorts of problems. So my question is, what am i missing from the newer versions?

dickroach

when I try to open a PS1 game (got the cue/bin) the program closes and windows gives me a Microsoft Visual++ Runtime Library "Runtime Error!" (This application has requested the Runtine to terminate it in an unusual way.) I've put the BIOS in the System folder.

+ the Dreamcast core crashes the program. "retroarch.exe has stopped working" whattt am i doing wrong

Radius4

Thanks for testing and tracking down the commit!

Anytime

when I try to open a PS1 game (got the cue/bin) the program closes and windows gives me a Microsoft Visual++ Runtime Library "Runtime Error!" (This application has requested the Runtine to terminate it in an unusual way.) I've put the BIOS in the System folder.

+ the Dreamcast core crashes the program. "retroarch.exe has stopped working" whattt am i doing wrong

Most likely missing bios files, follow these: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX#Usage

First thing that comes to mind - the crashing ROM has a comma and an apostrophe in the filename. Maybe it would work with these removed? Worth a check?

No, oddly enough seems to be related to some weirdness in bsnes input code :S

nkarafo

First thing that comes to mind - the crashing ROM has a comma and an apostrophe in the filename. Maybe it would work with these removed? Worth a check?
This happens with Doom too. It was the first game that gave me that error. You can't get a shorter, more simple name in the SNES library :p

At first i thought it was a FX2 chip kind of thing but then many other games that don't have such a chip give the same error too. I still can't find something relate-able between the games that give this error.

nkarafo

Try the latest build please
So what was the issue? I'm just curious in what those specific games had in common and couldn't launch.

Something else that came up, can anyone else save configs as new or however? I get "failed saving config" every time i try to save a new one, after i load a core.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Re-installed RA after like a year away, first time with the new GUI, no idea what the fuck I'm doing since my old preset would require re-editing all the location stuff and I can't be arsed. GTU seems pretty good though? Are there any other great new CRT emulating shaders I should be aware of?

Also all my GameBoy stuff seems shot to shit with aspects misaligning when I go to use the DMG stuff:
Whats going on there? How do I get those layers to match up?

This really is the most obstinate and annoying program I've ever used, but the results are great. Just takes fucking hours pissing around with settings to get there.

Awakened

Are there any other great new CRT emulating shaders I should be aware of?
Me and a decent amount of others really like crt-easymode-halation for it's speed, brightness and even scanlines at most resolutions. It's also got quite a few options if you want to tweak it. I think the defaults are really good.
Also all my GameBoy stuff seems shot to shit with aspects misaligning when I go to use the DMG stuff:

Whats going on there? How do I get those layers to match up?
The gameboy shaders are broken in the 1.3.0 release. Replace your retroarch.exe with the latest nightly one on the download page to fix that.

Having an issue with the Scan Directory feature. It's just not working - I set Retroarch to the core I want to add ROMs for, point it at the directory with those ROMs, and hit scan. At the bottom left it displays text as it runs through my ROMs but it doesn't actually make any new tab for the system. What do I need to do to fix this?

Lettuce

I have an Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor and want to know what options i need to enable or disable to get the benefits of g-sync and 165hz technology for RetroArch?. I understand i need to disable v sync and i thought i needed to enable black Frame Insertion, but when i enable that the screen flickers very fast. I have also noticed that Retroarch reports the screen refresh is only approx 59 hz, i set it to 165hz in the retroarch config file, which when i load retroarch it display 165hz but as soon as i load a game it reverts back to 59hz

Mydriaze

Neo Member
Gentlemen, good evening.

I'm new on this board, not "so new" about RA, but still struggle a lot. I've asked my question on the Libretro forum, with no luck at the moment.

What I would like to do, is simple: Game Boy and Gameboy Color both use gambatte_libretro.
So for Game Boy I need to use the Game Boy overlay and shaders and for Game Boy Color I need to use other overlays and shaders. Is it possible to do that with 1 same core?

The only solution I found now is to use Gambatte for GB, and TGB Dual for GB Color.

Because, I need to set up Sega Genesis/Master System/Mega CD/32X/Game Gear, each with specific shaders, and I'm not sure to find 5 differents emulators! ^^

Hope you will understand my request. Thanks a lot!

dickroach

so no matter what I did, I couldn't get the PSX core working on my PC (Mednafen or whatever). I put the same BIOS in the system folder on my Macbook and it worked fine.

now how do I change discs? just beat disc 1 in FF8 and dunno what to do.

Awakened

I have an Asus ROG Swift PG279Q monitor and want to know what options i need to enable or disable to get the benefits of g-sync and 165hz technology for RetroArch?. I understand i need to disable v sync and i thought i needed to enable black Frame Insertion, but when i enable that the screen flickers very fast. I have also noticed that Retroarch reports the screen refresh is only approx 59 hz, i set it to 165hz in the retroarch config file, which when i load retroarch it display 165hz but as soon as i load a game it reverts back to 59hz
I don't think there is a definitive guide for best GSync settings yet, but there are some suggestions here. You want to leave the refresh rate at the default "59.950".

Maybe someday there will be an easy On/Off variable refresh rate option when more people have Gsync/Freesync monitors.
so no matter what I did, I couldn't get the PSX core working on my PC (Mednafen or whatever). I put the same BIOS in the system folder on my Macbook and it worked fine.

now how do I change discs? just beat disc 1 in FF8 and dunno what to do.
Make sure your system folder is set properly in your directory settings on the PC. For changing discs, I think FF8 saves when you finish a disc and you can load up the next and load your save. You can also create an .m3u playlist file as described here. When you load that up there are disc eject and disc next/previous hotkeys you can use to switch discs on the fly. You can set those keys in Settings, Input, Input Hotkey Binds.

Edit: I forgot, Mednafen create's per game memory card files. So you need to rename your FF8 disc 1 save to match disc 2's filename or rename it to match the .m3u's filename if you create one. The benefit of the .m3u is that all discs will use save and load from the same save file.

Top Bottom