• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Meesh

So I'm digging the latest Retroarch, got my SNES and NES happening but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get Neo Geo, Dreamcast, or the PSP side of things running.
I've dl all the cores, but I'm not sure if there's a certain file path that must be followed, maybe something in settings? I tried Googling for a few answeres but so far bupkiss, can't rig it on my own and was hoping someone here could give me a few pointers. Pleas Halp! Lol

Awakened

So I'm digging the latest Retroarch, got my SNES and NES happening but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get Neo Geo, Dreamcast, or the PSP side of things running.
I've dl all the cores, but I'm not sure if there's a certain file path that must be followed, maybe something in settings? I tried Googling for a few answeres but so far bupkiss, can't rig it on my own and was hoping someone here could give me a few pointers. Pleas Halp! Lol
Check the Libretro Wiki, which has pages for each core that explain what BIOS or asset files you need and where to put them.

If you use FBA or MAME for NeoGeo they need neogeo.zip in the same folder as your ROMs. The wiki tells you where the Dreamcast BIOS goes and what to name it. PPSSPP only really needs ppge_atlas.zim from the link on the wiki (if you click it on the Github page I think it will download when you click view raw). But some games also need fonts you should be able to find in the zip from the official PPSSPP windows package. Those go in "system/flash0/font".

Meesh

Check the Libretro Wiki, which has pages for each core that explain what BIOS or asset files you need and where to put them.

If you use FBA or MAME for NeoGeo they need neogeo.zip in the same folder as your ROMs. The wiki tells you where the Dreamcast BIOS goes and what to name it. PPSSPP only really needs ppge_atlas.zim from the link on the wiki (if you click it on the Github page I think it will download when you click view raw). But some games also need fonts you should be able to find in the zip from the official PPSSPP windows package. Those go in "system/flash0/font".
Thanks for responding, I'll check it out and report back later :)

Knurek

Apologies if it is answered anywhere, but is there a way to have a cheat file loaded and enabled automatically when running a specific game?

I got an issue with the mednafen core. It runs everything super slow. I tried playing Crash Bandicoot and it run at the mid 40s all throughout. It can't be my hardware because I can run the same game on epsxe and psxreloaded at full speed no sweat. Is there some errant default setting that causing this slowdown?

Rich!

I got an issue with the mednafen core. It runs everything super slow. I tried playing Crash Bandicoot and it run at the mid 40s all throughout. It can't be my hardware because I can run the same game on epsxe and psxreloaded at full speed no sweat. Is there some errant default setting that causing this slowdown?

is rewind on?

if so, turn it off

Radius4

Does it "go away" if you alt-tab? if GPU hard sync and/or frame delay are enabled, disable those.

Those two settings need the core to deliver the frames at a steady pace and mednafen psx is just too demanding for that.

Does it "go away" if you alt-tab? if GPU hard sync and/or frame delay are enabled, disable those.

Those two settings need the core to deliver the frames at a steady pace and mednafen psx is just too demanding for that.

Hard GPU sync is off and frame delay is at zero. I'm still getting slow framerate

Palom

With the Windows x64 version of Retroarch, is there any way to prevent the performance hit when the window is out of focus? I have a dual monitor setup, and if I click on something on the other monitor so the Retroarch window loses focus, performance drops significantly and it looks like it starts frame skipping. As long as the window is in focus, it runs perfectly smooth. I've tried the windowed fullscreen option on and off, but both seem to produce similar results. Is there an option I'm missing somewhere, or is this just an issue with Windows itself? I'm on Windows 10 if that helps any, i5-4670k @ 4.2GHz, notably using the Mednafen PSX core with everything at default/native settings.

Have you got an nvidia card? Try setting up an application specific profile for retroarch with everything set to performance. No added effects, triple buffering enabled, single monitor performance mode, etc.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll just use separate emulators. Since I'm using Launchbox it's made RetroArch redundant.

petran79

Banned

nkarafo

There seems to be a major issue with the RetroArch video player + NVIDIA cards lately.

Every video just crashes/freezes after 10-15 seconds of play. From my testing and what some other members posted in the official forum, it might have something to do with recent NVIDIA drivers since i don't remember having this issue a year ago. Even if i use an older version of RetroArch (like 1.2.0) video playback is still impossible (i tested every possible setting in RA for hours but no luck). And i tried the latest nightly today and the issue still exists. I have a GTX 960 btw.

Playing videos in RA was great because you can use the shaders, simple as that. I already made a thread in the official forum some time ago but it seems like people there can't find any solution other than going back to ancient drivers (like 1 year ago or something) which of course isn't an acceptable fix. Plus, the thread seems dead the last few weeks so i'm trying my luck here, in case someone has a better solution or can figure out what's exactly wrong.

Thanks.

nkarafo

Yes but it didn't break due changes in RA, it broke with some NVIDIA driver update.
So there's nothing that can be done except Nvidia changing this thing again (whatever it is)? This is happening with every driver update they released this year, maybe even before that.

Which Cores are the best for Nintendo Systems?

NES: Nestopia
SNES: bsnes accurate or balanced
N64: Mupen, but I like Project 64 (not retroarch) better
Gamecube/Wii: Dolphin (not retroarch)
GBA: VBA-M
DS: DeSmeME (not retroarch) or its fork that allows higher resolution rendering (also not retroarch)

NES: Nestopia
SNES: bsnes accurate or balanced
N64: Mupen, but I like Project 64 (not retroarch) better
Gamecube/Wii: Dolphin (not retroarch)
DS: DeSmeME (not retroarch) or its fork that allows higher resolution rendering (also not retroarch)

Is the BSNES core up to date with Higan?

Knurek

mgba is better for GBA.
Desmume is definitely on Retroarch. Just doesn't allow for rewind and playable framerates.

//EDIT:
Not sure if any devs are reading this, but 1.3.6 has a small regression compared to earlier versions.
Using input_exit_emulator (Esc for most people) does not save the autosavestate. You have to manually enter menu, and choose 'Quit Retroarch' for the state to be saved.

Knurek

Thanks for the heads up I'll test and try to figure it out

Another thing I noticed.

When you have Game.sfc (not tested with other cores, but should be true for all of them) and Game.zip in the same directory, loading Game.zip will delete Game.sfc.

I know that's probably due to zip unpacker putting the content of the archive and then clearing the temporary files. Still, it's something you might want to add a check against.

Miker

What's the best way to update RetroArch while keeping all your settings? I want to try out 1.3.6 but I don't want to spend time tweaking stuff again.

nkarafo

mgba is better for GBA.
The latest standalone version yes.

Not sure about the RetroArch core version though. I had some games crashing with it that VBA had no problems with.

A question for NVIDIA users. Is anyone having the videos playback (ffmpeg) crashing or freezing after 10 seconds problem? Feels like i'm the only one having it as i'm not seeing many reporting anything about this.

Brhoom

Banned
I need your help guys.

A while back I asked about shaders and was blown away at how crisp the image got.

This is what I'm talking about:

From this:
aOwsxAL.png

To this:
gJ1AqXc.png

This was on 1.3.4

Now I upgraded to 1.3.6 and now this is what happens when I select the same shader:

07Zb5ra.png

I am using the same shader which is easymode halation inside the CG folder in both version but as you see it is different.

I searched around and found that there was a bug with cg shaders but was fixed a while back, but I don't think it is fixed for me :(

I just want these sharp pixels back.

Also if you know how to get the same sharp pixels in picture 2 with thick pvm like scan-lines that would be great.

Radius4

The last one is easymode, the first one is stock/no shader with bilinear, the second one is stock/no shader with nearest.

Set shader passes to 0 and hit apply

Brhoom

Banned
The last one is easymode, the first one is stock/no shader with bilinear, the second one is stock/no shader with nearest.

Set shader passes to 0 and hit apply

Thank you. So in 1.3.4 the bug was that it chose nearest whenever I chose easy mode halation.

Radius4

You can do better with crt-hyllian probably.
Overlay scanlines are just black lines no phosphor simulation or anything

Wastwood

Neo Member
im having a really strange problem with RA, when i load the shaders it just gives me like 5 seconds of image and then goes to black it still plays the sound and if i press a button the action continues.

the shaders work if i put the resolution in 800x600

oh and if i use windowed mode it works but if i change the size of the windows i lose the image too.

almost pulling my head off with this one.

darthbob

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does this emulator, along with Vulkan, work better on AMD or nVidia 10-series cards?

CHC

Just downloaded and set this up tonight, got SNES and PSX running. The actual setup was quite simple compared to what I had heard, a lot of people acted like it would be very difficult and it was actually fairly straightforward. That was a relief.

WOW though. What a program. It really is incredibly tight - feels like its own kind of console. I'm also AMAZED by the community's shader game. The work people have done with CRT filters is nothing short of amazing. The CRT Royale filters are really something to behold, as are some of the ones by that guy solid12345 (even if they are a bit over the top to actually play). I seriously can't believe the dedication some people must have because a lot of these are so much deeper than just some half-assed scanline overlay. They really deeply emulate a lot of the optics of old TV sets.

Radius4

Just downloaded and set this up tonight, got SNES and PSX running. The actual setup was quite simple compared to what I had heard, a lot of people acted like it would be very difficult and it was actually fairly straightforward. That was a relief.

WOW though. What a program. It really is incredibly tight - feels like its own kind of console. I'm also AMAZED by the community's shader game. The work people have done with CRT filters is nothing short of amazing. The CRT Royale filters are really something to behold, as are some of the ones by that guy solid12345 (even if they are a bit over the top to actually play). I seriously can't believe the dedication some people must have because a lot of these are so much deeper than just some half-assed scanline overlay. They really deeply emulate a lot of the optics of old TV sets.

Thanks a lot man. Kind words mean a lot.
This thread is nice, people are receptive and it makes working on RA encouraging.

chronomac

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to combine the console border of the GBA with the HQ4X filter (or 2X or 3X)? I like filling my TV real estate with the former and the general look of the latter.
  2. When I'm in the middle of one game and go back to the menu to start another I have to hit Run twice. The first time I'll select the game and the core and it takes me back to the first game I was playing. Then I go back to the menu and hit Run again and it works. Anyway to stop this?
Aside from these quirks (and some of my N64 games not running), I'm really enjoying RetroArch. I did not realize it was this easy to get going.

Brhoom

Banned
Two questions:

1. Is there any way to combine the console border of the GBA with the HQ4X filter (or 2X or 3X)? I like filling my TV real estate with the former and the general look of the latter.
  2. When I'm in the middle of one game and go back to the menu to start another I have to hit Run twice. The first time I'll select the game and the core and it takes me back to the first game I was playing. Then I go back to the menu and hit Run again and it works. Anyway to stop this?
Aside from these quirks (and some of my N64 games not running), I'm really enjoying RetroArch. I did not realize it was this easy to get going.

1-I just use a gameboy advance border overlay I got from Retroarch fourms I think.

2-I just turn oof retroarch or close the core and load another game

SpotAnime

Me too. It's definitely finicky with ROMs/ISOs, and the slightest config mistake can break the entire thing (I've had to delete and recreate config files), but when it works it works amazing.

I have a dual monitor setup for big picture gaming on my HDTV, and I read somewhere you can set it yo launch on a specific monitor, but I can't find this setting/config anywhere. Anyone know or can help me?

Dina

Fellas,

What is the best way to setup aspect ratio and resolution for different emulators in general. I believe I have left aspect ratio on 'set by Core'. Resolution I'm unsure about.

vanty

Are the Neo Geo ROMs from the Humble Bundle a few months back for both MVS and AES? I wanted to try the AES version of Baseball Stars 2 to see what differences there are so I changed 'Neo Geo mode' to AES and the BIOS to 'AES Japan' but still just got the same arcade version with 'insert credit' and everything. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the ROMs are arcade versions only. I'm using the 'FB Alpha - SVN' core if that is part of the problem.

nkarafo

Did they manage to fix the input lag in SNES emulators? I feel like it's a bit more responsive now with Bsnes_Mercury_balanced.

Are there any other cores that are improved like so?

Top Bottom