• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

nkarafo

There was no way to differentiate systems that a single core ran with the old method either so your argument is invalid
But i was able to use different shaders per system and load them automatically. Even if they used the same core.

Well anyway, i guess i will either start fresh or stick with the old version. Thanks for the replies.

nkarafo

For instance, for Gambatte i had a "Nintendo Game Boy Color" and a "Nintendo Game Boy" cfg, each one with it's own shader (and others) option. Hyperspin/rocketlauncher would just load these automatically because they are named just like the systems it supports.

With LaunchBox i did the same thing but i had to name them differently because it doesn't support spaces in the file names. So i had different cfgs for each launcher. Because in LaunchBox i can use the -config command, these cfgs still work (i think, haven't tested it throughfully yet). But i don't know how to do it in RocketLauncher or Hyperspin.

Knurek

How exactly did you load the shaders per system automatically?

Per game configs?
Gambatte.cfg
Code:
video_shader = ":\shaders\gambatte_libretro.dll.cgp"
Legend of Zelda, The - Oracle of Ages (USA).cfg
Code:
video_shader = ":\shaders\gambatte_libretro_gbc.dll.cgp"

That's an override not a per-core cfg and it would apply to GB and GBC all the same

Yes, but if he makes overrides for all of GBC roms as the one above, it should apply the correct shader for them.
(Sorry, the whole per-core config and config override thing is kind of confusing)

Awakened

For instance, for Gambatte i had a "Nintendo Game Boy Color" and a "Nintendo Game Boy" cfg, each one with it's own shader (and others) option. Hyperspin/rocketlauncher would just load these automatically because they are named just like the systems it supports.

With LaunchBox i did the same thing but i had to name them differently because it doesn't support spaces in the file names. So i had different cfgs for each launcher. Because in LaunchBox i can use the -config command, these cfgs still work (i think, haven't tested it throughfully yet). But i don't know how to do it in RocketLauncher or Hyperspin.
HyperSpin has a parameters section in HyperHQ where you can add command line arguments like -config or -appendconfig to load configs per system. You have to turn off RL to use that though. In RL, you probably have to edit the RetroArch.ahk and find each system's command lines to add config loading.

VariantX

I think ill give this a shot, I got a bunch of roms the Sega genesis collection on steam anyway and those filters on the first page make the games look amazing

nkarafo

That's an override not a per-core cfg and it would apply to GB and GBC all the same
HyperSpin has a parameters section in HyperHQ where you can add command line arguments like -config or -appendconfig to load configs per system. You have to turn off RL to use that though. In RL, you probably have to edit the RetroArch and find each system's command lines to add config loading.
Ok, i think i got the hang of it and managed to re-setup most of my stuff. In the end i guess i'm glad i was forced to change my method of setting up RetroArch since now i only have a few cfg files to keep track of instead of 50+. Basically i only have 2 separate cfgs for Game Boy classic and color. Everything else doesn't need a separate cfg file so far. So the whole thing it's much cleaner.

Decado

When you use shaders, do you also use filters? If so, which one? 16 bit games, etc.

Anyone use launchbox? Is there a way to have a config applied to specific games? Not just platforms.

nkarafo

Anyone use launchbox? Is there a way to have a config applied to specific games? Not just platforms.
If you right click/edit a game there's an "additional apps" tab, i think there you can add more options to use for that specific game.

Or create another RetroArch entry in your "manage emulators" section, name it differently (like RetroArch 2 or something) then edit it, go to "associated platforms" tab and in the default command like parameters you can set a different core with -L "cores\core.dll or a different cfg with -c config\cfg.cfg and use that for specific games by right clicking on them and go to edit/emulation tab/choose an emulator.

Radius4

Or you can go to shaders, select save game shader preset and it will be loaded automatically for that game/core combination.

No need to mess with cli arguments or duplicate your setup.

bacardi

For some reason 1.3.6 doesn't seem to be utilizing exclusive fullscreen mode (Windows)? Is there a command i can add to the .cfg file to force it? Cheers.

nkarafo

Or you can go to shaders, select save game shader preset and it will be loaded automatically for that game/core combination.

Yeah, you don't need separate cfgs anymore for attaching shaders to the cores (that was an awesome improvement by the way) unless it's a core that supports multiple systems that need different shaders (so far i only did this for Gambatte - game boy/game boy color).

But in LaunchBox you might want to run a game with a different core (ParaLLEl instead of Mupen64 you use as a default for instance) so you need to create a different emulator entry for that or use the additional apps option, although i never tried the later.

I think that's what the poster asked.

Awakened

For some reason 1.3.6 doesn't seem to be utilizing exclusive fullscreen mode (Windows)? Is there a command i can add to the .cfg file to force it? Cheers.
I feel like exclusive mode hasn't been working for awhile. Maybe since I upgraded to Win10 a year ago? I've tried setting the .cfg option for exclusive fullscreen off and on, but there just does't seem to be a difference between windowed and exclusive anymore that I can tell, so I don't know if it's working. I believe it said it was working in the command prompt though.

Radius4

Awakened, exclusive mode was doing like 3 mode switches and that's why it used to take so long.

Now it switches as fast as any other app, But yeah I don't know if there's a way to validate if it's in fact working

Awakened

Awakened, exclusive mode was doing like 3 mode switches and that's why it used to take so long.

Now it switches as fast as any other app, But yeah I don't know if there's a way to validate if it's in fact working
Ah, ok. There's just no visual cue anymore (which is an improvement!). I generally like running things in borderless window anyway, since I don't notice added lag from it. But I was testing awhile back to see if exclusive mode fixed the "swap interval is broken until I restart my PC if I've fullscreened any video in my web browser this session" bug. It didn't make any difference. Honestly, I don't know if it's caused by the browser (both Chrome and Edge will do it), Nvidia's drivers, Windows 10 or RetroArch. I only remember Chrome updating a little bit before it started happening, but that wouldn't explain why Edge does it to. I don't know of any other program or game I could test that has a swap interval like function :p

Vulkan's recent swap interval support isn't affected by that bug, but my favorite shaders haven't been converted to slang, so I can't switch to that yet. I also can't get scrolling quite as smooth in Symphony of the Night (Mednafen-PSX software) using Vulkan as I can in GL. I tested that in Vulkan at 120hz and 60hz and it stutters a bit walking in a corridor. Less demanding cores like PCE-Fast (Dragon's Curse) and GPGX (Shinobi III) get the same perfect 60fps scrolling in Vulkan as they do in GL though. So maybe it's a weird performance thing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, this shit is way easier to handle these days, I like that you can control the UI with the gamepad, because the mouse controls are atrocious.

I assume you can save specific shader presets per emulator core? Found a nice shader combo for 16 bit games which looks nice, I'd like an SRGB filter on top of that though but using the emulator core's built in srgb filter in conjunction with shaders drops the framerate by half, so I assume there are specific retroarch shaders for SRGB emulation?

I've looked in the various folders but haven't found one, though.

Decado

Well shit. Mind blown. Thanks, I'll have to try that.

I may create separate cfg entries for broadly different game types like vertical and horizontal.

Tried to use the Retroarch DS emulator on my Galaxy S7 and it is so slow. Probably 1/4th the speed of what gameplay is supposed to actually be like.

Messed around with some settings but I couldnt figure out a way to mke the games run more smooth. Any ideas?

Boney

Banned
Hello! Since i got a decent PC now I was hoping to install RetroArch for the first time. So I was hoping to get some pointers as to how to get the latest build and which cores are the best. For some reason the menu graphics were glitching out a bit, but it was late so I just gave up.

Best way to get a dual shock 3 to work on W8?

Vorg

Banned
Tried to use the Retroarch DS emulator on my Galaxy S7 and it is so slow. Probably 1/4th the speed of what gameplay is supposed to actually be like.

Messed around with some settings but I couldnt figure out a way to mke the games run more smooth. Any ideas?

Buy drastic. There's really no alternative on Android. Any other ds emulator will be slow.

Knurek

I've tried the newest nightly, and the win64 version logs the output to console (which wasn't a thing for the last few months IIRC). But for some reason you can't put the output to a file.
I've tried both retroarch.exe >log.txt (and >>log.txt), and using the --log-file option, neither seems to work. :\

Boney

Banned
Hello! Since i got a decent PC now I was hoping to install RetroArch for the first time. So I was hoping to get some pointers as to how to get the latest build and which cores are the best. For some reason the menu graphics were glitching out a bit, but it was late so I just gave up.

Halo

:(

Knurek

retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1

Thank you, that works...
(Coincidentally, is the 2>&1 something Retroarch specific? Haven't seen anything like that used in any CLI programs earlier)

Anyways, I've done a test run regarding the autosave issue using the latest nightly, here are the logs generated for both quitting with Esc (autosave doesn't get saved) and quitting from Retroarch menu (autosave does get saved).

Here are the differences:

comparejmsa7.png

No idea why there's a difference between those two actions. Might this be caused by me using overrides?
Hope this helps you a bit if you manage to find the time to look into the problem.

Awakened

This is a pretty good guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/260274/how...the-ultimate-all-in-one-retro-games-emulator/

It doesn't mention that the add content option only works with games that match the database though. For those you have to load a core from the menu, then load content.

Recommended cores for systems that have multiple options:
NES: Nestopia
SNES: BSNES Mercury Balanced (SNES9x for slower CPUs or if you want faster fast-forward)
N64: Mupen64Plus (ParaLLEl is coming along nicely, but has more graphical issues than normal M64P right now)
GB/GBC: Gambatte
GBA: mGBA (VBA-M runs a few obscure games mGBA doesn't right now, but those will be fixed when mainline updates are merged into the core)
SMS/GG/Gen/MD: Genesis Plus GX
Saturn: Wait for Mednafen/Beetle Saturn core (or Yabause if you're impatient :p)
Arcade: MAME 2014 (FBA is good too, but supports less games. Latest MAME has aspect ratio and UI issues right now)

I would think the DS3 has an autoconfig profile for it so you don't have to install an Xinput wrapper, but it might make things easier.

Brhoom

Banned
Can someone help me?

I use a different aspect ratio for each core, with the per core option gone what is the other to do it now?, a guide would really help me here, I just want to have different settings for each core.

Radius4

If you want a completely different config just have another config and use the --config parameter when launching.

If you want stuff to change when you load a game or a core:

- Create a folder named like the core in your config dir (the name that shows when you load the core)
- Create a cfg file there with the same name or the rom filename with the settings you want to override
- Profit?

So
config
|
|---Snes9x
|-------Snes9x.cfg
|-------Super Mario World.cfg

I feel the MAME cores are very sketchily documented. I'm trying to get cheats working in MAME 2014 but am not sure where to put the cheat.7z file. Earlier in this thread \system\mame was advised, but that doesn't seem to work. Also tried \system\mame2014,which already existed and holds my Samples folder (which do work).

Anyone know?

StereoVsn

Buy drastic. There's really no alternative on Android. Any other ds emulator will be slow.
Drastic is really amazing. It runs great on my old Note 3 and a crappy cheap Asus tablet with mediatek quad core I recently got. S7 should be flying with it.

Drastic and MyBoy are really two great emulators on Android for more handheld games.

Edit: On the subject of Retroarch, I just got an Intel NUC specifically for emulation. Man this is confusing but I figure I will work through it next few days. NUC though is great. Got N3700 version from Microcenter for $150, threw in 8GB LDDR3 SoDIMM stick I had and an older 256gb ASD and it runs like a champ.

Awakened

Looks like the mednafen Saturn core got released. Im not on my main PC though, anyone tested it yet?
It performs well with hard sync frames 1 on my 2500k. There's just a little overhead left for a small boost when fast forwarding. It has a couple things that are missing or need to be fixed:
  • The 3D Pad doesn't seem to be hooked up yet.
  • The BIOS always asks you to set the language and/or date when you first boot a game.
  • Certain dumps of games like PD Zwei, Saga and Sega Rally that work in stand alone reset to the BIOS menu in the core.

Boney

Banned
I use this:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded

There's a thread here somewhere and stay away from motioninjoy.
I've been trying all afternoon and I can't get my controller to get recognized on the pc no matter what drivers I have.

I'm a dumb dumb when it comes to pc and I'm so frustrated that I can't get it to work.

This is a pretty good guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/260274/how...the-ultimate-all-in-one-retro-games-emulator/

It doesn't mention that the add content option only works with games that match the database though. For those you have to load a core from the menu, then load content.

Recommended cores for systems that have multiple options:
NES: Nestopia
SNES: BSNES Mercury Balanced (SNES9x for slower CPUs or if you want faster fast-forward)
N64: Mupen64Plus (ParaLLEl is coming along nicely, but has more graphical issues than normal M64P right now)
GB/GBC: Gambatte
GBA: mGBA (VBA-M runs a few obscure games mGBA doesn't right now, but those will be fixed when mainline updates are merged into the core)
SMS/GG/Gen/MD: Genesis Plus GX
Saturn: Wait for Mednafen/Beetle Saturn core (or Yabause if you're impatient :p)
Arcade: MAME 2014 (FBA is good too, but supports less games. Latest MAME has aspect ratio and UI issues right now)

I would think the DS3 has an autoconfig profile for it so you don't have to install an Xinput wrapper, but it might make things easier.

thanks for the tips

so i tried to play goldeneye (N64) forgot the controls for this are batshit crazy any help to make them a bit more friendly would be awesome using a xbone controller

nkarafo

so i tried to play goldeneye (N64) forgot the controls for this are batshit crazy any help to make them a bit more friendly would be awesome using a xbone controller

Use 1.2

Or use 2.2 and "fuse" the second controller into the second analog stick so you can have true dual analog controls. Although, i don't think this is possible with the controller options in RetroArch since you can't bind stuff from the second N64 controller to the first pad.

legolas119

Neo Member
ho guys,

i have just started to configure Retroarch 1.3.6 for the 1st time because a lot of users said that it is, fo a lot of console, the best emulator.

Well, I have some questions, can you help me please?

1) in the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=Oeozvnb_-eI&v=WC4NieHGwbo) , at minute from 6:30 to 7:30 (more or less), the guy said that every time I need to update retroarch, it is better to download the new full package, unzip it in a new folder, and then overwrite these 4 items: folders Config, System, cores and the file retroarch.cfg. Do you confirm that this is the best way?

2) When I have to download for the 1st time a core i go in: Online Updater --> Core Updater --> select the emulator (for example bsnes accuracy). And this is the same way when I want to update a core that I have already downloaded, am I right?

3) After adding the Super Nintento core, i want to add my roms: Load Content --> Select File And Detect Core: in this way i select the folder with the roms. If i need to add some new roms, i have to do this action, is it correct? After that, when I have loaded all my roms for that emulator, I find them automatically under the System list.
But it's not clear the Add Content -->Scan directory or Add Content -->Scan File functions... In this guide (http://www.libretro.com/index.php/ge...ith-retroarch/) at the end it is explained: I updated the databases, and then i push Add content --> Scan directory, selectin my rom folder, but it appears " No times". Why?

4) If I want to create, for some emulators, different settings (video settings, joypad command mapping) from the standard setting that I will use, which is the right way? I read in this guide (http://www.powerup.io/gaming/emulators/retroarch, chapter Override, the 2 ways, Simple and Full, but it isn't clear... So, for example, I download and configure the Core of Nintendo NES and I decide that these setting will be correct ONLY for NES emulator. So, which is the stesp that I have to do in order to save and then automatically load this setting when i will use Nes emulator?

5) whre is the Shaders option? I don't find it...

thank you very much

Radius4

1. wrong. Just replace the exe you don't need the rest
2. yes, currently no indication of updates, best indication is to follow the repos on github :p
3. you mean no items I guess you roms are not no-intro or something?
4. I just explained overrides a few posts above this
5. under quick menu when you load a game

Top Bottom