• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: US officials say deadly Yemen operation approved without sufficient intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

This situation is very complicated and its seeming like Obama administration, Trump administration, and the Pentagon may end up getting equal blame.

How though? Obama didn't schedule this second attack. He halted the first attack because it was a dangerous operation on a moonless night. It was previous vetted operation, but not vetted enough to actually do at the time

Is it obamas fault because it was identified as a target at all? So if trump does anything that was on the previous administrations radar, it's obamas fault if it fails? Is it because the intel was bad, and trump assumed it wasn't and went through with it?

You blame people for what they DO. Not what they PLAN to do while still having the opportunity to back out. There are a lot of potential bad decisions everyone escapes from by backing out. You can't judge them for simply thinking about a potential bad decision, even if preparations begin. It's like someone thinking about cheating on relationship, but not actually doing it, but still being blamed for the spouse cheating for thinking about it. Wtf

Well unless you are trump and looking for a scapegoat

In isolation people may have given Trump the benefit of the doubt on this but in context of shambolic two weeks this is surely going to blow up in his face?

All blame will slide off Trump and onto other people, except the pentagon, because his reptilian brain does understand one thing with great clarity: he needs those guys on his side.

In isolation people may have given Trump the benefit of the doubt on this but in context of shambolic two weeks this is surely going to blow up in his face?
On a national scale or such? Probably not.

It will definitely simmer in the back and lead to some anger from the military I suspect.

Zen Aku

People on Facebook are now saying it's not Trump fault because the enemies were tip off somehow of the raid beforehand.

Xe4

Banned
Absolutely disgusting, but not surprised in the least. Trumps a fucking idiot, so get ready to see more events like this in the future.

Forearms

There's certainly a more nuanced discussion to be had about Presidents that inherit conflict. As a quick case example, Bush took us into Iraq and Afghanistan, but we continued operations in both nations and saw them continue to fall apart under Obama. How much blame does Bush get for that and how much does Obama get? Similarly, you could make arguments about the situation in Yemen and what Obama (or any predecessors) did to get us into that situation.

Regardless of broader arguments though, Trump made the specific call on this operation. And if Obama had held off on the mission to wait for intel and Trump refused to do the same, the mission is even more completely square on his shoulders.

Except this isn't an active war situation. It was a mission that had been put on the back burner by Obama's administration until better intelligence could be acquired, but Trump decided to go ahead anyway...

Every Republican post on Facebook regarding Trump's emergency visit to the fall NAVY Seals soldier is absolutely focusing that a soldier died (which is true) and completely ignoring the reason why he died. It's so fucking infuriating.

Syncytia

How though? Obama didn't schedule this second attack. He halted the first attack because it was a dangerous operation on a moonless night. It was previous vetted operation, but not vetted enough to actually do at the time

Is it obamas fault because it was identified as a target at all? So if trump does anything that was on the previous administrations radar, it's obamas fault if it fails? Is it because the intel was bad, and trump assumed it wasn't and went through with it?

You blame people for what they DO. Not what they PLAN to do while still having the opportunity to back out. There are a lot of potential bad decisions everyone escapes from by backing out. You can't judge them for simply thinking about a potential bad decision, even if preparations begin. It's like someone thinking about cheating on relationship, but not actually doing it, but still being blamed for the spouse cheating for thinking about it. Wtf

Well unless you are trump and looking for a scapegoat

It's the same reason they're trying to deflect outrage over the Muslim ban due to Obama having identified the countries as requiring more careful attention for anyone traveling from them. Trump and his people are incompetent and need a scapegoat but as we continue to learn everyday Trump thinks this is still the campaign and he shows it in absurd ways.

faisal233

I know it won't happen but I want the military to turn their back on Donald and really show the world they won't take the fall for Trump's stupidity

They won't turn their back but something much worse is already happening. Everything, everywhere, including in the oval office is being leaked. The Trump team is already a bunch of back stabbing nitwits, but the entire govt bureaucracy is turning. Its only been 12 days of repeated disasters, and I don;t see any of it stopping. They are all going to turn on him.

They won't turn their back but something much worse is already happening. Everything, everywhere, including in the oval office is being leaked. The Trump team is already a bunch of back stabbing nitwits, but the entire govt bureaucracy is turning. Its only been 12 days of repeated disasters, and I don;t see any of it stopping. They are all going to turn on him.

If nothing else, I hope he feels alone and isolated with the immense pressure of what the next four years entail slowly eating away at him.

GTI Guy

Wishful thinking....

please please be true

Every Republican post on Facebook regarding Trump's emergency visit to the fall NAVY Seals soldier is absolutely focusing that a soldier died (which is true) and completely ignoring the reason why he died. It's so fucking infuriating.

yes apparently Obama hated all military - and never visited them.

I'm really curious, putting cancellation of military projects aside, how did he hate them. Did Obama actually not visit them the way Trump would? what is the difference. I'm keen to know. I have trouble believing Obama could penalise the military and get them all offside other than perpetually asking: are there any other solutions to this here military plan you've presented me.

AYF 001

I know it won't happen but I want the military to turn their back on Donald and really show the world they won't take the fall for Trump's stupidity
I think a few more botched ops might give "our troops" a bit more pause when it comes to heaping praise, if they start to realize he treats them like disposable RTS units.

uh, we've had literal slave owners as president, lol

The fact that "owning slaves when it was legal to do so" is how far back we have to go to find something worse than what Trump is doing right now kind of cements his place

Not that slave ownership is good, but Trump's actions are atrocious by the standards of the here and now.

Zen Aku

My girlfriend just gave me her thought on it. Which consist of "This is not Trump fault. It is Al-Qeada fault for using civilians as shield. It's unfortunate what happened to innocent civilians but there will always be casualty, but this is for the greater good because they would have eventually harm someone else later down the line." (I'm condensing her words)

I told her that there is a line between acceptable casualty and gross negligence for everything. This is not an acceptable casualty number. Not even close.

So yep, my girlfriend just pardon Trump and shifted the entire blame on Al-Qeada.

Got

Banned
My girlfriend just gave me her thought on it. Which consist of "This is not Trump fault. It is Al-Qeada fault for using civilians as shield. It's unfortunate what happened to innocent civilians but there will always be casualty, but this is for the greater good because they would have eventually harm someone else later down the line." (I'm condensing her words)

I told her that there is a line between acceptable casualty and gross negligence for everything. This is not an acceptable casualty number. Not even close.

So yep, my girlfriend just pardon Trump and shifted the entire blame on Al-Qeada.

she sounds like a keeper

Get out quick

GTI Guy

RE4_bailout.gif

And one that committed genocide.

Coincidentally, that's the one Trump seems to want to compare himself with the most...

After the Frederick Douglass thing, it's clear only cares about dudes from the 1800's if they're white and genocidal.

The fact that "owning slaves when it was legal to do so" is how far back we have to go to find something worse than what Trump is doing right now kind of cements his place

Not that slave ownership is good, but Trump's actions are atrocious by the standards of the here and now.

Sure, don't necessarily disagree with that (though the president that lied us into an invasion that resulted in thousands of deaths and authorized torture and unconstitutional prisons was just 16 years ago). I guess it's the difference between seeing Trump as a unique threat that will be solved by getting rid of him individually, or instead a threat that's mostly a destructive culmination of larger structural forces that have come before him. Obviously still terrible either way though!

Iksenpets

Banned
Officers are going to have to learn to be extra cautious in presenting options to Trump. It seems like Obama could at least identify a bad plan when he saw one, but I guarantee you Trump would sign off on any raid or bombing you pitch him on.

I can't get into armchair quarterbacking operations like these that have been going on for many years. The raid that took down Osama could have gone to shit (and partially did), and there was a lot of reticence towards that op based upon a lack of intel too. Somebody ends up making the hard call.

But using Obama as a scapegoat is absolute bullshit. The buck stops where it stops.

Zen Aku

she sounds like a keeper

Get out quick

RE4_bailout.gif

She's fucking deadly terrified of Islamic terrorists. I just told her that you're more likely to die on your way to work, rolling out of bed, by a gunshot or by a homegrown terrorist in this country than an Al-Aeada terrorist. In case next time she want to put thing into perspective.

How long until he says fuck it and launches a nuke with "insufficient intelligence".....?
How long until China or the UK launch one at us because Trump pissed off the wrong people?

Usobuko

Banned

To her maybe 10 brown lives dead to save 1 white life is the " greater good "

Jerm411

How long until China or the UK launch one at us because Trump pissed off the wrong people?

Oh trust me, I'm scared of that too...I'm not the hyperbolic "nukes are coming type" but I'm more afraid of the world imploding now than ever before...

This is fucking big, and everyone needs to make a big deal about it. Democrats need to give it the Benghazi Treatment and hang it over Trump's head for all four years, and especially heading into the next campaign.

And hell no, OP. Obama administration gets no blame because the President never gave the mission a greenlight. Trump did. That matters.

Usobuko

Banned

Pretty sure it's Trump administration will make the first move.

America the greatest, America seize initiative and don't take chances.

Even if the world stay collective together against a fascist superpower, America won't take the L without declaring war on everyone. Trump's America that is.

ISOM

Didn't conservatives and Republicans roast Hillary for far less with Benghazi? Like are you serious?

Shoeless

America is totally safe from a UK nuke. If anything, May is probably going to be like, "Would you care for some of ours, you great big wonderful man, you?"

geestack

news source says that obama rejected the operation because of lack of intel and his belief it was not worth it. trump is a buffoon.

Link

Effect

This situation is very complicated and its seeming like Obama administration, Trump administration, and the Pentagon may end up getting equal blame.

No. This is pretty straight forward. Obama picked out a potential target but didn't do anything because they needed more information before doing anything. Potential targets don't always get acted upon. That's why you wait for intel to see if it can be done successful or if it's even really worth it. Trump said fuck it and now a solider and a little girl are dead. Who knows how many were injured. All because Trump is a fucking moron. Those deaths are 100% on Trump's hands here. There is no blame to spread around here. The blame belongs on one person.

Trump has an excuse though:
1234349.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom